• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

150/each. i was tempted to get the cage side seats for 250 but didn't want to spend the extra money. i want to save my cageside experience for a vegas card.
Wow, that's cheap. i think i would have gone with cage side for 250. Aren't Vegas cage sides closer to 1k?

ShaneB

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/12/08/ufc-already-examining-security-for-sonnen-vs-silva-2-in-brazil/

My god seeing this rematch in Brazil, and if Chael beats him in a decision, would be one of the most epic fucking moments in sports history. Seriously how fucking crazy would that be. A soccer stadium of Brazilians would be rioting.

This will be so awesome, but what happens if Munoz wins? I mean yeah... IF... I mean I know he'll fight Silva, but it's like they've already conceded he's going to lose to Sonnen anyway.

thirty

Banned
Munoz hasn't done a very good job of adapting his wrestling to MMA.
he's improving with every fight and the way he wrestled and pounded on leben i think we can lay that myth to rest.

honestly, where did that come from? munoz's loss to hamill via head kick? from what i've seen, munoz can take anybody down, he just chooses to viciously ground and pound rather than smoother and lay and pray like most "mma wrestlers."

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
YES!!

H0iGy.png

If Sonnen looses to Munoz it will be sheer travesty. I would have zero desire to ever see Silva/Munoz. Its just as boring and pointless as Silva/Bisping. If Munoz wins than they should just give Vitor another shot.

I'm going to start an annual MMA-GAF year end rewards poll. We'll take a vote on things like:

Fighter of the Year
Fight of the Year
Knockout of the Year
Submission of the Year
Event (Card of the Year) of the Year
Promo of the Year
MMA-GAF poster of the Year
Tomato-Can of the Year

I'll update the OP as we move along with final tallies. It would be cool to track things to see how opinions change over time.

Should go up this weekend, some feedback would be appreciated for nominees and other potential categories.

Moment of the year should be up there too. My vote

http://youtu.be/YhvUgIv-K0U

AiTM

Banned
Lets just all pray that Chael gets a win and grabs the mic and proceeds to troll Silva. Followed by the rematch of all rematches in front of 50 thousand screaming Brazilians with their blowdart guns.

DKehoe

New users and quiet lurkers of MMA-GAF: Please introduce yourselves and join in on the fun by answering this short questionnaire. Don't be shy! There are no wrong answers.

1. When and how were you first introduced to MMA?

2. Who are some of your favorite fighters, past or present?

3. Who do you think would win?
  • Brock Lesnar vs. Alistair Overeem
  • Georges St. Pierre vs. Nick Diaz
  • Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen II

4. Finally, who do you believe to be The Greatest Heavyweight of All Time: Cain Velasquez or Fedor

Regulars, feel free to join in.
1. Started watching at UFC 99.
2. Chael, Nick, Anderson, Sakuraba (what I've seen on him anyway, would love more recommendations of his best stuff to watch), Fedor

3 Brock, GSP, third one I'm less sure about but will go with Chael because it would be pretty funny.

4. To answer genuinely (otherwise Mark Hunt of course) I think the pace at which MMA has evolved means its unfair to compare guys who are of different eras. Things have changed too much.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
i'm undecided on a lot of things but I'd give heel916 poster of the year. he's like the nick diaz of MMA-GAF, he overwhelms you with volume.

Sien916 for poster of the year, sure. Heel916 has exposed us to too much bad mma to be considered.

yacobod

Banned
Wow, that's cheap. i think i would have gone with cage side for 250. Aren't Vegas cage sides closer to 1k?

last time i went to vegas for a ufc event it was Randy/Gonzaga with GSP/Kos 1 as the co-main. i think cage side tickets then were like 500, but i'm not sure what the going rate is 5 years later.

For 129 Jones vs Shogun it was $650 or so. Glad I sat where I did though (near the bar in the first level of risers above the floor) because a ton of fighters were sitting in the same section.

I have a dumb question too. Why are the Nogs, what maybe 20-30 lbs different if they are identical? Their frames look different. Is it cuz one got fed more as a kid?

charsace

I'm going to start an annual MMA-GAF year end rewards poll. We'll take a vote on things like:

Fighter of the Year
Fight of the Year
Knockout of the Year
Submission of the Year
Event (Card of the Year) of the Year
Promo of the Year
MMA-GAF poster of the Year
Tomato-Can of the Year

I'll update the OP as we move along with final tallies. It would be cool to track things to see how opinions change over time.

Should go up this weekend, some feedback would be appreciated for nominees and other potential categories.

Fighter of the Year Korean Zombie
Fight of the Year Korean Zombie/Garcia 2
Knockout of the Year Hendo/Fedor
Submission of the Year Zombie/Garcia 2 Twister
Event (Card of the Year) of the Year When Machida beats Bones Jones this saturday
Promo of the Year Chael Sonnen all of them
MMA-GAF poster of the Year Ninja Scooter
Tomato-Can of the Year Fedor

They are wearing suits.........except Dana and Rogerio lol

I bought a Tapout hoodie on sale.......and at the cash they told me since it was clearance I could get something else on clearance for free

Yea yea

MjFrancis

Yep. That vale tudo article will give you great context on that moment. It covers the history of the Gracie lineage.
I read the entirety of that article and it wasn't disappointing. I was especially in the dark about anything the Gracies did pre-UFC. A good read.

TheNatural

My Member!
My MMA of year award ballot for 2011 (officially sponsored by Ninja Scooter):

Lost in the past award

Your nominees are:

A) Sakuraba
B) Shamrock (brother wombo combo)
C) People who talk about a fighter who hasn't had a good win in 7 years

Butthurt of the year award

A) "Can't wait until Shogun shows that snitch Jones what PRIDE is all about!"
B) "Can't wait until Rampage puts Jones in the hospital!"
C) "Jones is going lose so hard to Machida!"
D) "That's it, fuck you Jones, at least your special night got ruined again."

Fighting age question of the year

In Russian can years, how much older is is a 34 year old Russian over a 40 year old American?

A) 7 dog years to 1 human years, so 238-40 = 198 years older
B) 2 career quality wins times age = 68-40= 28 years older
C) LOL question is irrelevant, everyone knows fighters prime age is 23, afterwards downhill

Fighter of the year award

A) Fabricio Werdum
B) "El Gigante" Big Foot silva
C) Dan Henderson
Wild Card) Top 10 Heavyweight Mark Hunt

Heel

Ninja Scooter the ninja troller is unquestionably poster of the year. I throw him softballs and he hits them out of the park like a prime Jose Canseco.

That's a good question. I think he is given too much cred for his current resume, but I like watching him fight and look forward to seeing him in UFC. I think he should probably be given a title shot coming in.

Morphis

New users and quiet lurkers of MMA-GAF: Please introduce yourselves and join in on the fun by answering this short questionnaire. Don't be shy! There are no wrong answers.

1. When and how were you first introduced to MMA?

2. Who are some of your favorite fighters, past or present?

3. Who do you think would win?
  • Brock Lesnar vs. Alistair Overeem
  • Georges St. Pierre vs. Nick Diaz
  • Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen II

4. Finally, who do you believe to be The Greatest Heavyweight of All Time: Cain Velasquez or Fedor

Regulars, feel free to join in.
1. I was actually introduced through UFC 2009 Undisputed. I love fighitng games in all shapes and sizes so I tried the demo with Chuck Liddell and Shogun Rua. Liked the game, decided to check this MMA business out. I believe the demo was released in the week leading up to the UFC 97 card headlined by Liddell and Rua (pretty great marketing strategy imo) so I watched that. Seeing a fellow Dutchman (even though he lost) was interesting, and seeing Krysztof Soszynski's kimura sealed the deal: this was the sport I was going to follow.

2. Rampage Jackson, Anderson Silva, Krysztof Soszynski, GSP, Fedor, Overeem. I like a lot of fighters, don't really dislike any of them in fact. There's always something interesting about anyone who steps into a cage with the sole intention of victory through combat.

3. -Overeem. I think his stand-up will win him this one. If he doesn't gas if the fight goes into deeper waters that is.
-GSP vs. Diaz, that's a tough one. Diaz might have what it takes to really pressure Georges, but I think GSP will prevail in the end.
-Silva. He will be extremely motivated for a rematch and is going to destroy Sonnen. I hope.

4. Not sure if serious :p Don't think you can compare their legacies. To do what Fedor did is something that will probably never happen again. Even if it was during a time when the sport wasn't on the level that it is now, Fedor's run is far more impressive than going 9-0 and having a faulty gameplan (kick the injured knee) resulting in a getting KO'd. That being said, Cain is really talented, and I'm very interested how he pans out as a fighter.

Top Bottom