• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
1. When and how were you first introduced to MMA?

Mid to late 90s at first. Rented on the first cards on VHS. Then when I went to college, one of my friends had a bunch of the first tapes so watched those.
Remember one of the first fights with the guy who had ninjutsu as his style. Being young, and having watched American Ninja, of course I thought he would be invincible. The ninja tried a leaping kick at the bell, got sidestepped, taken down and repeatedly elbowed in the face. Childhood ninja-dreams crushed. (I might be mixing up a couple of fights here tho)

Got back into watching at UFC 68, iirc, and whatever Pride event was on at the same time. Kept up ever since.

2. Who are some of your favorite fighters, past or present?
Pride era Mirko, Fedor, Shogun. B.J, GSP (when he actually finished fights), Hendo (pride and now). UFC Mirko has just been heartbreak). Dunno about the current crop of fighters, they seem to be assholes (nothing wrong with that) or generic white wrestlers. Still enjoy watching some of them fight tho.

3. Who do you think would win?
  • Brock Lesnar vs. Alistair Overeem
  • Georges St. Pierre vs. Nick Diaz
  • Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen II

Overeem. Think ring rust will be a factor here for Brock.
GSP
Silva

4. Finally, who do you believe to be The Greatest Heavyweight of All Time: Cain Velasquez or Fedor
Fedor

Balehead

Ariel with Dana about Torres: http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/12/08/dana-white-discusses-why-he-released-miguel-torres-over-tweet/

Still pretty funny how Griffin and Evans managed to slip away from punishment and Torres was simply cut, no warning, nothing. Can't say their comments were any better compared to Torres' one either, Evans' one was on Fox card even.

4. Finally, who do you believe to be The Greatest Heavyweight of All Time: Cain Velasquez or Fedor

This question really needs to be updated, cause it's very obviously not Cain Velasquez.

Yeah, Cain was until JDS dethroned him.

Prisen

This question really needs to be updated, cause it's very obviously not Cain Velasquez.

DKehoe

Hasn't proven the test of time? UFC is kicking boxing and wrestling's ass COMBINED on a yearly basis in PPV buys. No shit that it's not going to do NFL numbers or anything as a sport, but it's far from a novelty act or new sport.

A lot of people still have no idea what MMA is. I think it is also still fair to call it a new sport, relative to the others.

knee

It's funny to go back and watch early TUF eps.

For some reason, I couldn't stop laughing at when I saw Rashad Evans cutting Melvin Guillard's hair at the TUF house.

There's nothing 'intentionally' funny about it, but they've done really well with their opportunity since then.

knee

dream is confused with the wrestling thread. I don't mind the info, but Meltzer sounds like a total fucking dweeb outside of his element when he speaks about MMA. Especially shit like this:

Hasn't proven the test of time? UFC is kicking boxing and wrestling's ass COMBINED on a yearly basis in PPV buys. No shit that it's not going to do NFL numbers or anything as a sport, but it's far from a novelty act or new sport.

GNW8d.gif

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
torres cut..mayhem cut... plus some other middle of the row fighters...all the same time Dana says no worries Strikeforce is gonna stick around,deal is working out..

Its almost like Dana needs some 2nd tier star power to Fill out the Strikeforce ranks...hmmmm

Salih

torres cut..mayhem cut... plus some other middle of the row fighters...all the same time Dana says no worries Strikeforce is gonna stick around,deal is working out..

Its almost like Dana needs some 2nd tier star power to Fill out the Strikeforce ranks...hmmmm

wut? i know that Dana was shocked by his poor performance but afaik there is no confirmation right now that he has been really cut from the UFC.

SpectreRT

Dana mentioned that he would cut Mayhem, but his fans went pretty much berserk about it. Dana has not confirmed or denied that he has been cut yet.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
oh sorry should have said ..about to be cut...its pretty obvious how much Dana's trashing him he's gonna cut him...there has been so many worse performances in the ufc I dont' know any other way to put it.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Dana mentioned that he would cut Mayhem, but his fans went pretty much berserk about it. Dana has not confirmed or denied that he has been cut yet.

exactly...however now that Dana's speaking up saying Strikeforce is still alive and Deal with Showtime is looking good..I expect some shifts of guys comming off loses

Frank Mir has a way more impressive resume than Cain does. Frank finished Kongo in the first round and Cain couldn't even finish him. Cain has to be one of the most overrated guys. I never understood his hype.

AiTM

Banned
Looking strictly at PPV buys is kind of useless. You should be looking at revenue YOY. Too bad they are private LLC and we cant see. But alot of people like me rarely buy any cards because the sheer number of them. I go out to any number of bars or restaurants.

And every UFC card, the place is packed wherever I go.

Not to mention compare in a whole year the amount of total PPV buys from UFC with any other sport.

Eric Hall

True. 600k right? I don't think there's many cards from boxing/wrestling that top the worst of UFC cards, though.

How is wrestling doing these days?

Crappy outside of Wrestlemania. I believe that WWE's PPV in October, Vengeance, had like the least amount of buys in a long time outside of the ECW PPV in 2006

Morphis

exactly...however now that Dana's speaking up saying Strikeforce is still alive and Deal with Showtime is looking good..I expect some shifts of guys comming off loses
I'm curious if they shift Miller to SF. Although I believe that Showtime wasn't too happy with Miller due to his involvement in the infamous post-fight brawl, so that could be a dealbreaker. I hope he gets a second chance in the UFC.

Heel

FRIDAY FIGHT SCHEDULE

M-1 Challenge 30: Zavurov vs. Enomoto

Starts at 8:00 PM PT / 11:00 PM ET on Showtime (Note: 3 hour tape delay on Showtime's west coast channel.)

SATURDAY FIGHT SCHEDULE

BAMMA 8: Manuwa vs. Rea

Starts at 1:00 PM PT / 4:00 PM ET on HDNet

UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida - OFFICIAL THREAD

Early prelims start at 2:50 PM PT / 5:50 PM ET, free on Facebook.com
Late prelims start at 4:00 PM PT / 7:00 PM ET on ION Television
Main card starts at 6:00 PM PT / 9:00 PM ET on pay-per-view

SUNDAY FIGHT SCHEDULE

2011 World MMA Awards, hosted by Chael Sonnen

Starts at 5:00 PM PT / 8:00 PM ET on FOX Sports Net (Note: 3 hour tape delay on FSN's west coast channels.)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Despite Close to UFC Career, Mirko Cro Cop Plans Return to Kickboxing
A third straight knockout loss brought a close to Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic's UFC career, but the Croatian apparently isn't quite ready to call it quits when it comes to combat sports. While he's rehabbing a torn right biceps muscle, he is also plotting a return to kickboxing, and says he will fight in a March 10 show in his nation's capital city, Zagreb.

Ya, it seems like it was because Dana can talk to Rashad and Forrest and understand them. But for Torres, his staff talked to him. If he was closer to Torres and Torres articulated some kind of rationale then maybe it wouldn't have happened.

I think it's like how sometimes you can get away with offensive jokes here and sometimes you get banned, depending on the nature of the conversation.

My heel turn is complete.

ibjwyGRhZRXrXq.jpg
Oh wow, hahahahah

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
he released this statement

“I have a lot to be thankful for in my life, I have my beautiful wife and daughter, my family, my health, my gym, and in terms of my career, I succeeded to the biggest stage in the sport of mixed martial arts, the Ultimate Fighting Championship. I am very sorry for upsetting my bosses at the UFC, and also to my fans and everyone else who was upset by the language in my tweets. I understand it was wrong, and I meant no harm or disrespect. Given the chance, I will do whatever it takes to make things right. I am going to learn from this. I think life throws you opportunities that can make you a better person, and so that’s what I’m going to do here. That is how I am going to react. I am going to use this to improve myself, and I hope that my fans will continue to support me.”

dream

I guess the difference is Rashad and Forrest are kind of draws. Who cares about Miguel Angel Torres now that he's no longer the #1 p4p fighter in the world?

Boogie

No point in voting on MMA-GAF poster of the year now.

(and if Jones wins tomorrow, no point in voting for fighter of the year, either)

Top Bottom