• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Enjoy!

Signed,
Cowboys fan

Ipo1c.gif

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
From Middleasy.com Rumor's Mill:

You guys already know the rumor by now.
Kevin Iole tweeted that he heard Alistair Overeem may be out of UFC 141 against Brock Lesnar. Ariel Helwani asked Dana White about the rumor and he vehemently denied it.
Now this Sunday morning, the rumor shifted to 'Alistair Overeem is having difficulty being licensed by the NSAC.' About an hour ago, Ariel contacted Overeem's camp and they made a statement that there's no validity to the rumor that Overeem is pulling out of UFC 141. However, the issue isn't about Overeem voluntary not participating in UFC 141. The rumors have to do with Alistair Overeem not being licensed, thus not being able to participate in UFC 141.

From one of the comments:
Saw a thread on Sherdog about Alistair. The rumors about him being scheduled with the NAC are true, but not for what people thought. He, as well as Vladimir M and Keith Jardine, is scheduled to meet with them to renew his license. Hopefully it all works at well.
So its an issue with his paperwork?

dream

Meltzer addressed that today:

Regarding the Brock Lesnar vs. Alistair Overeem fight, there are a lot of rumors around. Here is what we know. This will likely be cleared up on Monday as Overeem is scheduled to apply for his license before the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Usually fighters licenses are rubber stamped unless there is an extenuating circumstance. People have noted Overeem, Keith Jardine and Vladimir Matyushenko all have license hearings on Monday, but in the case of the latter two, it is standard procedure for fighters over 35 to take more extensive medical tests and the process for granting the license isn't rubber stamped. Overeem's name on the list means there is a reason he needs to be there that is not specified, and Overeem is not over 35 years old.

Erik Paulson said:
Also to see Jones Drop Machita on his face after he knew that he was out! safety and Well being of your Brothers after you share sweat and blood. then don't care about their well being. leaving a statement for the next generation of fighters that do it to you someday

more reactions on twitter from last nights ppv.
That's the difference between JBJ and a classy guy like BJ. BJ would have licked the blood and sweat off Machida's face and then hugged his unconscious body before dropping him to the mat.

But seriously, the only thing that JBJ could have done to make me a fan would have been to throw a flying knee into his own face and break his neck. If that's irrational then so be it.

VASPER

Banned
That's the difference between JBJ and a classy guy like BJ. BJ would have licked the blood and sweat off Machida's face and then hugged his unconscious body before dropping him to the mat.

But seriously, the only thing that JBJ could have done to make me a fan would have been to throw a flying knee into his own face and break his neck. If that's irrational then so be it.

Yeah but we can dream, can't we?

yacobod

Banned
Dana "Fucking" White said:
You want to see consistency? Let’s see if anybody does that again. I double dare you. I double dare you to tweet something like that again. It’s unfortunate, [Torres] is a good guy. It made no sense, it came out of left field. It was from a TV show? Who gives a shit? This is not a TV show. This is a sport. Sending things like that out there on twitter, It’s not like you have some forum to explain yourself and discuss what you meant. It’s a hundred and something characters. It’s bad news. People can agree with me or disagree, I don’t care…it won’t happen again.

Uncle Dana on making an example of Miguel Angel Torres

I'm not big on the Dana bashing but this is ridiciulous

Dana 1 year ago: I'll give you bonus money for being on twitter and getting a bunch of followers.

Dana now: You better stay off twitter or say only the safest things you can think of or you're career is over!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It seemed to me like the culmination of a lot of stuff with Torres. Didn't he have a bunch of tweets about UFC being LNP-dominated etc.?

dream

Mainstream politically correct Dana White is no fun at all.

You'd think he could do some good with his newfound mainstream credibility and put his guys in suits.

yacobod

Banned
The problem with Dana is that he's so irrational and tempermental. His finest moment of 2011 was raging on the Fox set on national tv following the UFC's big debut. After his mexican meal ticket Cain got knocked the fuck out in 60 seconds, he proceeds to bury his new champ JDS instead of hyping him up. He was no selling worse than HHH. It's absolutely ludicrous that Mr. Lesnar was the voice of reason on the set.

I just wish Dana would embrace his inner Vinnie Mac and stop playing this charade as PC dana, because as soon as shit hits the fan he reverts to white trash Boston Uncle Dana.

From Chicago we got a saying, Dana White WHO YOU CRAPPIN?

I had a feeling something shitty would prevent us seeing Brock/Reem. Now this leaves Brock with no opponents unless they somehow magically sign Fedor/Werdum/Big Foot.

Mir's showing from Saturday night convinced me even further that he should never be in the ring with Lesnar.

parasight

I'm not big on the Dana bashing but this is ridiciulous

Dana 1 year ago: I'll give you bonus money for being on twitter and getting a bunch of followers.

Dana now: You better stay off twitter or say only the safest things you can think of or you're career is over!

What? Can only say the safest things? Are you really excusing a poor rape joke? The fighters criticize the UFC and I've even seen the official UFC account retweet those angry tweets. They're allowed to say whatever they want as long as it's not as poor in taste as a fucking rape joke.

And for the record I don't think Torres should have been cut, just fined and suspended.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Lyoto by twitter:

JJ is a great champion. I respect him a lot. Thanks for the fight. But I'll be back!

War Machida. Samurai blood.

Heel

Strikeforce Fighters Are Staying In Strikeforce

“The guys that are in Strikeforce are staying in Strikeforce,” White said. "Strikeforce lives.”

“Gilbert Melendez and all the guys that are in the Strikeforce show and with Showtime, I will make fights [for them]. They will be happy to be there. Believe me, I got this thing worked out. It’s going to be good for everybody. It’s going to be good for the fighters, it’s going to be good for Showtime, and it’s going to be good for Strikeforce.”

When asked if there are any plans for co-promotion between Strikeforce and the UFC, White said, “Strikeforce is completely separate,” but that they have the ability to make some interesting things happen.

Ipo1c.gif

I was hoping for it to be treated like a farm league. I don't want guys that deserve to be in the UFC to be locked into The Bad MMA forever.

yacobod

Banned
ya bad news for guys like Gil, King Mo, Gegard, and a few other guys that could fight in the UFC. there is no reason for anyone half decent to be stuck in the C-leagues forever.

like Heel says, strikeforce should remain as a farm and feeder system, kinda like a better strikeforce challenger series.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Mousasi is still doing MMA?

WAR GEGARD! -__-

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Guys like King Mo and Gil will still jump to the UFC when their contracts expire. Sucks they have to wait though.

MjFrancis

Jon Jones should be able to check Rashad Evans and Phil Davis off his list next year. Give both of them a shot at losing.

Third fight should be Jones v. Henderson. I don't know what Henderson could bring to the table that Shogun didn't already, but give the guy a shot. He ain't getting any younger, and he just might be able to pull off a good right hand that'll bring the young whippersnapper back to reality.

Of course, if Henderson can't do this by Round 3 reality will also dictate that he'll be gassed and Jones will win his third fight of 2012.

---

Between UFC 136 and 140 I'll have a hard time picking the card of the year. Both were solid and didn't disappoint.

Heel

Mousasi vs. OSP is really interesting on paper. Mousasi has had about a year and a half to work on his TDD since he ran into King Mo. I love watching Mousasi but he's going to need better TDD to make it in the big leagues. Time to show and prove.

I don't see how it makes sense to keep top guys in Strikeforce. It's not like there are different rules, or anything about it other than being a lesser brand.

yacobod

Banned
Mousasi vs. OSP is really interesting on paper. Mousasi has had about a year and a half to work on his TDD since he ran into King Mo. I love watching Mousasi but he's going to need better TDD to make it in the big leagues. Time to show and prove.

i'd still like to see him in the ufc, there are too many guys in that weight class that like to stand and trade. he'd be fun to see in the ufc, but i don't think he'd ever sniff the title w/his tdd.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I don't see how it makes sense to keep top guys in Strikeforce. It's not like there are different rules, or anything about it other than being a lesser brand.

Doesn't make sense from a competitive standpoint but there was no way in hell Showtime would renew Strikeforce while the UFC continued to take all their talent.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Jeez. They really couldn't find a better opponent for Fedor outside the UFC? Not even Gonzaga level or a former Pride star?

Ishii won a gold medal with a broken freakin neck. He's a great opponent and I suspect Fedor will reclaim his #1 all time heavyweight throne with this win.

Top Bottom