• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

What dance moves will Brock breakout for this fight? He already did the Running Man against Carwin and the windmill against Cain, can't wait to see how deep his repertoire goes--he's like a white Usher.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Looking at the rumoured card for UFC on Fox 2, it's shaping up to be pretty damn stacked. I mean there's at least 3 fights on the card that could be main events on a PPV no one would buy.

Also lol, Australia doesn't even get a numbered event, UFC on FX.

kitch9

Banned
EMbXi.jpg

I had a GF with a body like the bird on the left 18 years ago.......

I miss her......

comedian

Beautiful body but face not so much.

On an unrelated note (I don't post here much), I can't wait for UFC 141; it's going to be insane !!!!!!

I personally am wishing for an Overeem win but I completely agree with what has been said previously:
*This is (potentially) the biggest fight of Overeem's career and it will be interesting to see how he copes.
*Overeem has not been fighting stellar fighters of yet and his record would suggest that he sometimes struggles against good wrestlers or world class opponents in general.

My hope for the fight is:
(1) initial bout of striking
(2) Lesnar goes for the takedown, Overeem stuffs it (gaining confidence through it).
(3) Overeem continue to striking but being cautious as Lesnar continues to attempt a takedown.
(4) Final stages of the round, Lesnar gets his takedown but doesn't have enough time to work and only lands a few glancing blows.
(5) Rinse and repeat for 5 rounds.

I might however be completely wrong with either Overeem landing a killer blow and finishing Lesnar off, or Lesnar taking Overeem down early and finishing Overeem very quickly.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
(2) Lesnar goes for the takedown, Overeem stuffs it (gaining confidence through it).
(3) Overeem continue to striking but being cautious as Lesnar continues to attempt a takedown.
(4) Final stages of the round, Lesnar gets his takedown but doesn't have enough time to work and only lands a few glancing blows.

I could see all that happening........ except for 5.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Beautiful body but face not so much.

On an unrelated note (I don't post here much), I can't wait for UFC 141; it's going to be insane !!!!!!

I personally am wishing for an Overeem win but I completely agree with what has been said previously:
*This is (potentially) the biggest fight of Overeem's career and it will be interesting to see how he copes.
*Overeem has not been fighting stellar fighters of yet and his record would suggest that he sometimes struggles against good wrestlers or world class opponents in general.

I might however be completely wrong with either Overeem landing a killer blow and finishing Lesnar off, or Lesnar taking Overeem down early and finishing Overeem very quickly.
I agree with everything except the length. Reem will gas long before the fifth.
Reem by decission

MjFrancis

Who are we kidding, either fighter will gas if it goes past Round 3.

I could imagine a Round 5 like Hendo/Shogun with one fighter mounting the other like a helpless kitten while he slaps him with pillows for five minutes with what would have been knockout punches had it still been Round 1.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
No one concerned about ring rust for Brock? He hasn't fought since Cain over a year ago, and we all saw how well Cain did his last fight. And it's not like Brock has tons of more experience than Cain to rely on, rather the opposite.

Isn't it funny that we're talking about the elite of the UFC hw division in terms of wrestling vs striking and that both guys will likely gas halfway through the fight? I mean not funny.

dem

There is no certainties in the Lesnar/Overeem fight..

Just enjoy it for the spectacle it is

No one can predict whats going to happen when that steroid bomb goes off

yacobod

Banned
i like it how 95% of the people in the thread cannot fathom a Lesnar victory over Overfraud. December 30th is going to be glorious when the 2 largest personalities in mma face off.

No one concerned about ring rust for Brock? He hasn't fought since Cain over a year ago, and we all saw how well Cain did his last fight. And it's not like Brock has tons of more experience than Cain to rely on, rather the opposite.

when's the last time Reem has been in a real fight in mma? 2005?

and another interesting subplot is what about his UFC debut jitters on the main event stage? the bright lights of the ufc main event has wilted several other veterans of the sport.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
i like it how 95% of the people in the thread cannot fathom a Lesnar victory over Overfraud. December 30th is going to be glorious when the 2 largest personalities in mma face off.

and another interesting subplot is what about his UFC debut jitters on the main event stage? the bright lights of the ufc main event has wilted several other veterans of the sport.

Good point! I'll just assume Reem's can crushing and Brock's ring rust cancels out!

Surely Strikefarce's HW tournament has prepared him enough! I mean, if we listen to Gil perhaps it is Brock that should step into the Hexagon to face Reem!

This has to be the most unpredictable match up in recent memory. But one thing for sure it will finish in the 1st round. I will be shocked if this goes all 5 rounds....but stranger things have happened.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
This has to be the most unpredictable match up in recent memory. But one thing for sure it will finish in the 1st round. I will be shocked if this goes all 5 rounds....but stranger things have happened.

Well, if it goes past round 3 I don't think either fighter will have enough energy to even walk to the center of the octagon...

dem

If it goes to 3 rounds Overeem is fucked..
Overeem will look like he is fighting under water by then.

Brock can definitely get on top and smash his ham hands into your face for 5 rounds.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I honestly have no idea how the reem/brocktober fight is going to go.

Last Saturday night's Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Masvidal event at the San Diego Sports Arena drew only 2,995 fans and a gate of $154,075, according to information released by the California state athletic commission.

That total was far short of covering the payroll for the event, which was $580,000 in disclosed purses.

Gilbert Melendez $150,000 (no win bonus)

lol

pr0cs

i like it how 95% of the people in the thread cannot fathom a Lesnar victory
I really think too many people are underselling Lesnar, I fee he is a really bad stylistic matchup for Overeem.
Personally I figure if Brock can survive the first 2 rounds he will win, it's those first two that will be the most difficult (and most exciting)

yacobod

Banned
Personally I figure if Brock can survive the first 2 minutes he will win, it's those first two that will be the most difficult (and most exciting)

minutes bro, minutes. reem doesn't have the gas tank to go 1 hard round with brockzilla. he's going to be gassed out bad after being taken down and trying to get back up. people forget brock took down cain 2 or 3 times in their fight. so he's going to takedown ovreem whether people want him to or not. brock's taken down every opponent he's ever faced in the octagon. is reem's wrestling and cardio good enough to get up and down from takedowns? that's the real question.

and does he have the chin and heart to survive the donkey kong gnp with those canned hams lesnar calls fists.

I like Brock and Reem, but I am more of a Reem fan and can see this fight go either way. Will make you wonder if Brock will learn from his mistakes from his last 2 fights, but remember, the fights always start standing giving the clear advantage to Overeem.

There is no certainties in the Lesnar/Overeem fight..

Just enjoy it for the spectacle it is

No one can predict whats going to happen when that steroid bomb goes off

since the fight was made I have predicted Overeem by TKO rnd 1. I am not changing on that!

anyone bothered about the Dream NYE event.

I am more interested in Sakuraba and Shibata teaming up for a pro-wrestling match rather then the MMA matches. Gonna be interesting to see how the HDNet guys call the puroesu matches. I hope they call it like they are watching a MMA fight and not just treat it as some funny spectacle.

Is the UFC app only available to North Americans right now? I'm in the UK and can't see it.

I would be very surprised if we get it in the UK considering UFC on ESPN is streamed via GO Sky player on xbox live.

MjFrancis

Be it Chandella or Brock Lesnar, yacobod is persistently rooting for the underdog if only to keep things interesting.

I think most of us are voting for Overeem because he's a much more interesting personality than Lesnar. That and Lesnar's improvisational Capoeira dancing versus Cain didn't exactly engender much confidence in the man.

It pains me to agree with yaco on a fight prediction, but I too think Brock will give Reem a lot of problems with the td. I'd think Reem would be the underdog here. I can't think of any previous fight that's comparable to the wrestling, athleticism, and size he's going to be facing here.

I also think that if he was cautious and boring against Werdum, he's probably going to be even more cautious with Brock. Preparing for carefully chosen jabs and no kicks or knees.

Basically I'm preparing for the worst possible outcome so that hopefully I will be surprised.

pr0cs

Be it Chandella or Brock Lesnar, yacobod is persistently rooting for the underdog if only to keep things interesting.
Well he has a lot of good points on Brock, Chandella not so much.

I think most of us are voting for Overeem because he's a much more interesting personality than Lesnar.

If you said interesting in terms of style of fighting or ways to win I would agree with you but on personality.. no..
Brock is one goofy mofo. His diatribe at the end of clobbering Mir with the flying spittle, Bud light escapade and other madness was quality television. Personally I think that shit is what finally turned the light-bulb on in Sonnen's head that "being a over the top crazy asshole that pisses off everyone is a great idea".

That is the problem IMO with MMA, there aren't enough characters that make the casuals want to watch. I'll watch even the most dark MMA matches because I'm a fan but I personally know a lot of casuals here at the office that love Lesnar, Ortiz, Sonnen simply because they're unique and interesting.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
It pains me to agree with yaco on a fight prediction, but I too think Brock will give Reem a lot of problems with the td. I'd think Reem would be the underdog here. I can't think of any previous fight that's comparable to the wrestling, athleticism, and size he's going to be facing here.

I also think that if he was cautious and boring against Werdum, he's probably going to be even more cautious with Brock. Preparing for carefully chosen jabs and no kicks or knees.

Basically I'm preparing for the worst possible outcome so that hopefully I will be surprised.

I'm kinda worried about that as well. If he was worried about Werdum taking him down, what's he gonna be against Brock! Hopefully he comes out hard, but it's probably best to keep expectations low.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

I have Reem as the underdog.

Brock has better Wrestling and Cardio and thats a winning a combination in UFC™

I think most of us are voting for Overeem because he's a much more interesting personality than Lesnar. That and Lesnar's improvisational Capoeira dancing versus Cain didn't exactly engender much confidence in the man.
Agreed

I also still contend that Chandella is probably way hotter in person. I think the angles of her jaw probably just don't work on camera.

Reem, Brock and JDS had a good run

Chad Griggs moving to the UFC
Sweet! I'm gonna go watch League of Extraordinary Gentlemen to celebrate. And now they just need Bigfoot and that about does it for the HW talent transfer.

I also still contend that Chandella is probably way hotter in person. I think the angles of her jaw probably just don't work on camera.
She is. She has the most unbelievable body I've seen on a girl in person. Its just that her face is very average compared to the insanely cute Arianny and Britney.

MjFrancis

She is. She has the most unbelievable body I've seen on a girl in person. Its just that her face is very average compared to the insanely cute Arianny and Britney.

That's what it is, too. You have Chandella sitting next to two 11/10 ladies and it doesn't leave her in the best light. I'm sure she'd be smoking in person.

Any Sonnen fight disagrees with you.
This is the statement of a man who has not seen the Chael Sonnen v. Paulo Filho where Filho didn't make weight.

Top Bottom