• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

I think the 'ouch' was that the gate didn't even cover Gil's disclosed paycheck.
Yeah, I picked that up after I posted.

Also those who rank Arianny over Chandella opinions can't be trusted and most likely suffer from some mental illness. I fear for society with loonies like you on the lose.

Heel

I think the 'ouch' was that the gate didn't even cover Gil's disclosed paycheck.

This is a pretty scary trend as of late. Bisping's disclosed pay at the TUF finale was $425k. The gate was $453k. Correct me if I'm wrong, but payroll beating out the live gate was not happening in UFC and Strikeforce until fairly recently.

Here's the Strikeforce TV ratings for 2011 from MMA Junkie:

1. "Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva" (February 2011): 741,000 viewers
2. "Strikeforce: Overeem vs. Werdum" (June 2011): 624,000
3. "Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson" (July 20011): 571,000
4. "Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Cyborg" (January 20011): 561,000
5. "Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Daley" (April 2011): 528,000
6. "Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Masvidal" (December 2011): 460,000
7. "Strikeforce: Feijao vs. Henderson" (March 2011): 412,000
8. "Strikeforce: Barnett vs. Kharitonov" (September 2011): 274,000

dem

This is a pretty scary trend as of late. Bisping's disclosed pay at the TUF finale was $425k. The gate was $453k. Correct me if I'm wrong, but payroll beating out the live gate was not happening in UFC and Strikeforce until fairly recently.

Here's the Strikeforce TV ratings for 2011 from MMA Junkie:

1. "Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva" (February 2011): 741,000 viewers
2. "Strikeforce: Overeem vs. Werdum" (June 2011): 624,000
3. "Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson" (July 20011): 571,000
4. "Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Cyborg" (January 20011): 561,000
5. "Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Daley" (April 2011): 528,000
6. "Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Masvidal" (December 2011): 460,000
7. "Strikeforce: Feijao vs. Henderson" (March 2011): 412,000
8. "Strikeforce: Barnett vs. Kharitonov" (September 2011): 274,000

Bisping/Mayhem was at the Palms. The pearl is tiny.
If you have any sort of name fighter on the card.. the gate isn't going to add up. You can only fit 2500 in there.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
so why are they keeping the strikeforce brand anyways? they've gutted most of the roster, and most of the draws are in the ufc already.

dumb that dana insists on wasting gil's prime.

I don't get it, other than that Showtime extended. And I have no idea why Showtime would extend. There must be some weird contractual issues at play behind the scenes here because on the surface it's ridiculous. All the remaining Strikeforce stars have been so disappointing recently too that I'd way rather watch Bellator at this point anyway.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

uxJPp.gif

Since we're talking about the hotness of girls in here - Got DAYUMN at that picture of Emilia Clark plywood posted in the 'current celebrity crush' thread.

Also to stay on track - Stipe Miocic added to UFC on Fuel 1. Hoping he's improving his cardio issues. It'd be nice to have another HW that isn't just a Beltranesque gate keeper.

Heel

Bisping/Mayhem was at the Palms. The pearl is tiny.
If you have any sort of name fighter on the card.. the gate isn't going to add up. You can only fit 2500 in there.

Even with that small of a venue, a lot were papered and a few hundred were empty. UFC 139 didn't cover payroll either.

I guess it doesn't really matter in the end when you factor in PPV and TV revenue, though.

so why are they keeping the strikeforce brand anyways? they've gutted most of the roster, and most of the draws are in the ufc already.

dumb that dana insists on wasting gil's prime.

My best complete guess is they want to avoid further watering down the UFC brand (hahaha, hear me out!), while still having contractual control over potential prospects that could be a threat to their business down the road. They'd rather have the next big thing in Strikeforce than in Bellator, who've been doing a great job at scooping up blue chippers as of late.

As far as keeping Gil and Gegard in Strikeforce, I won't even try to play devil's advocate. I think it's stupid. A contract thing, I guess? The best of Strikeforce should continually be "called up to the big leagues" and whoever strikes out in the UFC could be offered a contract in Strikeforce if deemed worthy.

dream

That Strikefarce show was the worst MMA show I've seen all year and I am genuinely saddened by the news that Zuffa and Showtime will be continuing with this neutered promotion that nobody gives a shit about.

edit: Strikefarce really is the right level for Mousasi and Gilbert, btw.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I think one of the things Showtime asked from Zuffa was to not take Gil away from Strikeforce. Still, it's been pointed out that Gilbert re-upped with Strikeforce when his contract ran out rather than jump to the UFC when he could have so that falls on him.

As far as keeping Gil and Gegard in Strikeforce, I won't even try to play devil's advocate. I think it's stupid. A contract thing, I guess? The best of Strikeforce should continually be "called up to the big leagues" and whoever strikes out in the UFC could be offered a contract in Strikeforce if deemed worthy.
Ya, I was thinking there were probably just too many variables--too much to salvage and bring to UFC, that it was easier to just keep it as-is after stealing a few of the best. I think Chamber said Showtime wouldn't have renewed if they took all the champs. They'll finish assimilating over the next year or 2 but probably just too much at once.

Heel

That Strikefarce show was the worst MMA show I've seen all year and I am genuinely saddened by the news that Zuffa and Showtime will be continuing with this neutered promotion that nobody gives a shit about.

The Bad MMA never die.

ibdDee25GuyYMz.png

edit: Strikefarce really is the right level for Mousasi and Gilbert, btw.

Gilbert firing in that two piece was a thing of beauty. He had one of the better boxers at 155 gun shy and shelled up for 5 rounds.

Gergard is certainly better than a lot of guys at 205 in the UFC. I maintain he needs to go back to 185 to be a factor in the big show. Especially with Jones being Jones.

dream

I'm sorry my good friend, but Gilbert not finishing a street fighter lowered my opinion of him. Not by a lot but I now see him the same way I see the coasting Jose Aldo Jr.

or just more camera time for TBC, which would be fine by me :)

idk about that, i think Gil is top 5 easily.

top 5 w/out him is what?
1. Frank
2-5 (in no particular order):
edgar, bendo, guida, ?
Frankie
Bendo
Guida
Lay
Cowboy

could all beat him. Shit, KenFlo could beat him too. Yaco, arent the same rules that you apply to overeem applied to Gil? Second rate organization where the comp is light?

Heel

Frankie
Bendo
Guida
Lay
Cowboy

could all beat him. Shit, KenFlo could beat him too. Yaco, arent the same rules that you apply to overeem applied to Gil? Second rate organization where the comp is light?

He's applying the 209 sliding scale, brah. Gil is the next champion.

yacobod

Banned
i can understand your premise Capt if you didnt put that bottom feeder scrub cowboy in your top 5. a fighter who couldnt hack it in the weak WEC 155# division, and has beaten some top 30 guys in the ufc, is not a top 5 guy.

L
O
L

Frankie
Bendo
Guida
Lay
Cowboy

Cowboy and Bendo orginated from WEC where the comp was worse than what Gil has been fighting and they transitioned just fine. Gil would beat everyone handily and would have tough fights with Edgar and Maynard (but still win). He is like 155 pound Mexican Cain.

i can understand your premise Capt if you didnt put that bottom feeder scrub cowboy in your top 5. a fighter who couldnt hack it in the weak WEC 155# division, and has beaten some top 30 guys in the ufc, is not a top 5 guy.

L
O
L
Lol I added him in because I didn't want Dream to feel like I ignored his favorite 155pounder.

People said the WEC was always really exciting but I don't remember people claiming the 155ers would do well in the UFC. Opposite, I think.

yacobod

Banned
WEC 155# was never strong, it had 3 fighters rotating for title shots, fucking jamie varner, bendo, and cowboy?

pettis came into the UFC and promptly got Guida'd.

Heel

I want to know who the hell they're going to have Gil fight now. Guys like Noons and Fodor have not earned it.

They'll probably set up something Jardine'esque to put him over.

yacobod

Banned
i can see the ufc sending someone like florian or gsot over to fight him, maybe melvin. some guys who are on the outside looking in on the ufc title.

Heel

Man, Gil vs. Melvin would be a fucking scrap.

There are so many interesting match ups for Gil in the UFC. Shit is depressing.

Top Bottom