• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Heel

Video of Landsberg vs. Sonnen II here.

"The ghost of David Hasselhoff"

iDut2cHyI99Ag.gif

TheNatural

My Member!
This one is for you Chamber. 2011's most overhyped athletes:

Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White said in December 2011 that St-Pierre is still the most popular athlete in Canada in terms of his international recognition -- we're not so sure about that -- but the welterweight champion is sidelined indefinitely with damaged knee ligaments. And even before his injury, St-Pierre was taking verbal shots from the public, the media and fighters for his inability to put away opponents.

He grabbed the international spotlight in April for headlining the first UFC card in Toronto, producing GSP mania. A record UFC crowd of more than 55,000 packed the Rogers Centre to finally see the conquering Canadian hero and he went the full five rounds with Jake Shields in what was more of a clinic on how not to lose a fight than actually win it.

Yes, GSP had problems seeing out of one eye because of a shot in the fight, but we've seen fighters with far bigger issues turn it up a notch. It was boring at best and continued a pattern of St-Pierre going the full distance without delivering the knockout blow or submission. Heck, the fight before it on the card was way more entertaining than the main event.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/more/2011/12/22/lefko_most_overhyped_athletes_2011/

iDut2cHyI99Ag.gif

Heel

@Jonnybones - Someone tell Chael he knows where I'll be waiting

i6sl9mKmzRkxy.gif

Chael "American Idol" Sonnen is a master of self-promotion.

AiTM

Banned
If chael trained BJJ a little while and got really good at sub defense he could be a bad motherfucker, not that he isnt already.

TheNatural

My Member!
I agree with this. Chael is a pretty big middleweight too.

He's not on roids anymore. And he needs a little more than a stoppage win over Brian Stann as his only UFC stoppage to prove he's worth a shit. Never seen a guy get so much hype over a fight he lost.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
He's not on roids anymore. And he needs a little more than a stoppage win over Brian Stann as his only UFC stoppage to prove he's worth a shit. Never seen a guy get so much hype over a fight he lost.

I didn't say he'd win, just that he would give Jones a fight. I apologize for upsetting you.

AiTM

Banned

Probably because he kicked Anderson Silvas ass for 5 rounds then had a leg wrapped around him and choked. No one else has come close to doing what he did in the UFC. Thats why hes hyped.

Heel

Does the use of TRT even have to be disclosed by athletic commissions? I have the feeling it's a lot more widespread than we know about.

Not that I care one way or the other. I just think it's funny a select few fighters get shit for it because they've had it made public.

Panzon

Probably because he kicked Anderson Silvas ass for 5 rounds then had a leg wrapped around him and choked. No one else has come close to doing what he did in the UFC. Thats why hes hyped.
Point is he still lost though. Lets say there was no ref to keep Chael from tapping and he goes to sleep, do people perceive the fight the same way and say he "wrapped his legs around his neck?" No he would've put his ass to sleep or broke his arm and this topic is not relevant. Shit this alcohol is strong

agrajag

Banned
holy shit, I can't believe they used the Guile theme in the Reem episode! haha

edit: and then Quiet Storm? I love whoever makes the videos for him!

edit 2: and Chessboxin' damn!

Damn ...

http://mmajunkie.com/news/26652/fol...rea-mma-fighter-paralyzed-in-amateur-bout.mma

"In the ninth of 11 scheduled fights at a Dec. 17 Fight Card Entertainment event, fellow fighter Rudy Bahena clung to Dunbar's back, torqued a standing rear-naked choke, and had his opponent desperate enough to try the unthinkable.

Believing to be out of better options, Dunbar dove forward, hoping he could spike Bahena into the canvas. It was an ill-fated decision – one that's now cost Dunbar the use of his limbs and forever changed his life."

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

You have a very loose definition of ass getting kicked. Dude had one good round then fought like a cunt the rest of the fight.

dream

That's because you're probably the only Marianna Kheyfets fan in the world.

It's cool though. I'm the world's biggest Cuddles fan.

TheNatural

My Member!
Probably because he laid on Anderson Silvas ass for 5 rounds then had a leg wrapped around him and choked. No one else has come close to doing what he did in the UFC. Thats why hes hyped.

Fixed. I give him credit, after the 4th round Anderson totally DID look like a man who just went though a brisk jog.

ShaneB

Damn ...

http://mmajunkie.com/news/26652/fol...rea-mma-fighter-paralyzed-in-amateur-bout.mma

"In the ninth of 11 scheduled fights at a Dec. 17 Fight Card Entertainment event, fellow fighter Rudy Bahena clung to Dunbar's back, torqued a standing rear-naked choke, and had his opponent desperate enough to try the unthinkable.

Believing to be out of better options, Dunbar dove forward, hoping he could spike Bahena into the canvas. It was an ill-fated decision – one that's now cost Dunbar the use of his limbs and forever changed his life."

:( A depressing read. A freak accident indeed, but humbling to put in perspective crazy things could happen in mma and you wonder how many close calls there are.

dream

Spiking sucks and I think anyone who attempts it should be blackballed from the sport. That's why I can't feel bad for this Dunbar joe.

Every time I see Tyson Griffin fight he ends up trying to spike someone. That's why I'm always so happy when he gets KOed into retardedness.

TheNatural

My Member!
Spiking sucks and I think anyone who attempts it should be blackballed from the sport. That's why I can't feel bad for this Dunbar joe.

Every time I see Tyson Griffin fight he ends up trying to spike someone. That's why I'm always so happy when he gets KOed into retardedness.

I rather see people just try a simple backslam ALA pro wrestler counter to a sleeper.

Yeah, we all know that it doesn't fucking work 99% of the time and it just sinks the choke in deeper, but if you're done and want to try something desperate hoping you can dislodge a choke, try that, not trying to spike someone.

dream

I agree. Flopping to your back is a legit escape. I don't care how anyone tries to justify spiking -- you're trying to break your opponent's neck when you do that.

Young Dunbar got a taste of karma, IMO.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Nobody would hold him to that anymore than they held Ric Flair to it. It's the luxury of being a heel. If he renigs on his promise people just hate him more.
Then he's just either:

1. Getting more heat to hype the fight
2. Being goofy

I still want the fight gawt dammit.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
I'd always though about spiking and didnt see anyone doing it so thought it was illegal. Always thought that if you did spike there is the chance of you getting some serious damage to your throat and neck, sudden jerk on the choke is gonna do some shit.

Bring on the stem cells.

So is Eddie Bravo a pothead or something? I'm listening to the Joe Rogan podcast with him and Ronda Rousey and he sounds like every stoned friend I've ever had.

EDIT: Joe Rogan never heard of Ender's Game? Whaaaaaaaa?!

Top Bottom