• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

dream

I think Brock's disease impacted his career since the Carwin fight. The Brock that destroyed Mir at 100 was the only time we saw a real Prime Lesnar and to those who say he can't take a hit, he just shrugged off that knee to the face from Mir in that fight. That lose to Cain and the layover killed him and he came back only to fight the best striker in the division who might just be the best HW right now. I still say Brock beats most of the HW division and maybe even a rematch with Cain.

I think you're probably right. Dave Meltzer suggests that Brock didn't even try taking Overeem down beyond a half hearted single attempt because Brock discovered his wrestling was completely gone when he was in training camp.

I think you're probably right. Dave Meltzer suggests that Brock didn't even try taking Overeem down beyond a half hearted single attempt because Brock discovered his wrestling was completely gone when he was in training camp.

I find it pretty funny how his fight with Reem went pretty much the same way as Cains fight with JDS.

No it is because Brock only does doubles and Reems ultra wide stance negates them. Which was the smartest thing Reem did in the fight. He wasn't afraid of Brock's punches. So wide stance while keeping hands low threw Brock off and he couldnt adapt.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Brock's MMA wrestling has always been overrated. The whole "How will Reem stop the takedown?" talk leading up to the fight was laughable.

dream

No it is because Brock only does doubles and Reems ultra wide stance negates them. Which was the smartest thing Reem did in the fight. He wasn't afraid of Brock's punches. So wide stance while keeping hands low threw Brock off and he couldnt adapt.

Brock-Lesnar-vs-Frank-Mir-Zuffa-e1324974757723.jpg

TheNatural

My Member!
The new television deal with FOX will give UFC significantly more access to fans than ever before, but there’s work to be done. FUEL TV aired UFC’s “Countdown” show for the first time last week leading up to UFC 141 and saw less-than-exciting results. An estimated 15,000 households watched “Countdown to UFC 141,” down from the average 500,000 who watched the show on SPIKE TV. However, SPIKE TV is currently available in more than 60 million more homes than FUEL TV, which is a premium channel through most cable providers.

The UFC and FUEL TV hope to appeal to more fans Sunday with a 24-hour marathon of UFC programming. “FUEL TV's New Year's Day marathon is essentially Day 1 of FOX's seven-year relationship with UFC," said George Greenberg, FUEL TV executive vice president and general manager, in a statement. "We have no doubt that our programming and cross-network promotional strategy, along with a great working relationship with UFC management, will drive growth for UFC and FUEL TV over the long term."

FUEL TV will feature more than 2,000 hours of UFC programming in 2012, with 100 hours of live fights, weigh-ins, preliminary bouts and pre- and post-fight shows. "UFC Tonight," a weekly half-hour news and highlights show, will premiere Tuesday, and the first live weigh-ins and post-fight shows will premiere around UFC 142 on Jan. 13-14.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sportsbusiness/post/_/id/187/ufc-141-a-dud-but-2011-a-huge-year

LOL @ Fuel TV. Seriously, UFC needs to push for more FX access, not turn Fuel into what Spike was. They don't even get to change the name of the network to be an MMA channel name for God's sake.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Fuel seems to be a terrible channel. It's up in the 600s on DirecTV which won't help them at all. Spike was in the 200s where the majority of watchable channels are. They also have horrendous on screen graphics.

TheNatural

My Member!
I want to see the look on Uncle Dana's face when the UFC on Fuel 1 ratings come in.

It's premium TV like Versus so it will be about the same as those Versus events. Thing is, they're treating the channel like Spike, so all the shit that used to be Spike has basically become FuelTV and not enough on FX.

AiTM

Banned
Dana said all along they plan on building up the channel like they did Spike. They knew it would start slow and take years. I know I had it on for a few hours today, and had never watched it before.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
They did a really terrible job promoting it. They didn't even make a big deal about all of their programs moving to Fuel next year on the ppv (maybe I just tune out Goldie, though). They should be saying which channel number it is on Dish, DTV, etc.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
It's premium TV like Versus so it will be about the same as those Versus events. Thing is, they're treating the channel like Spike, so all the shit that used to be Spike has basically become FuelTV and not enough on FX.

Doesn't Versus have much more circulation than Fuel?

TheNatural

My Member!
Doesn't Versus have much more circulation than Fuel?

Yeah it's worse than Versus. Just checked my local cable provider, it's on a select premium tier with shit like the Oprah network, while the basic tier has stuff like Versus. Yeah, cable is too fucking expensive, I'm never upgrading to that shit until they start allowing people to pick out channels. It's like Versus and other premium channels though in that ratings really don't matter because the revenue comes in through subscriptions and not advertising.

yacobod

Banned
Brock's MMA wrestling has always been overrated. The whole "How will Reem stop the takedown?" talk leading up to the fight was laughable.

A guy who took down all of his opponents prior to the fight on friday now has bad tds. I love revisionist history.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I want to see the look on Uncle Dana's face when the UFC on Fuel 1 ratings come in.

Doesn't matter at this point. They are paying him for the content, it is up to Fuel/Fox to promote it and pop a rating. The idea is to put UFC on Fuel so that people will want to pay the extra cost to get it. I have my doubts if this will work, but that is what they are trying to do. The only time Dana is going to have to worry is if the ratings don't get better as time goes on. I am sure it took awhile to get the ratings up on Spike.

As far as Brock, I have to question how has the illness effected him physically and mentally.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Doesn't matter at this point. They are paying him for the content, it is up to Fuel/Fox to promote it and pop a rating. The idea is to put UFC on Fuel so that people will want to pay the extra cost to get it. I have my doubts if this will work, but that is what they are trying to do. The only time Dana is going to have to worry is if the ratings don't get better as time goes on. I am sure it took awhile to get the ratings up on Spike.

As far as Brock, I have to question how has the illness effected him physically and mentally.

Thing is they've always used Countdown as a way to drive PPV buys. With buyrates already way down this year this doesn't help. I'm sure they considered it as part of the deal, but honestly I don't trust the business sense of Dana & Co. Think they're more right place right time and riding on the backs of a great sport succeeding in spite of them.

yacobod

Banned
I'm saying his wrestling is not on the GSP/Sonnen tier like people pretend it is. You disagree with that?

no i agree he's not the TD artist that Chael is, but he was effective at getting guys on their back. his actual wrestling was probably overrated, but his size/strength made it effective.

dream

Dana seems to think people want MORE UFC programming and all the evidence I have seen points to people wanting less of it.

yacobod

Banned

he was probably getting his fuck on with that big blonde boxer.

Dana seems to think people want MORE UFC programming and all the evidence I have seen points to people wanting less of it.

honestly i think it's over-saturated at this point. i think it would be a good move to par down the offerings. 1 pay per view a month, and maybe a highqvuality free card every 2 or 3 months. It would help them hype events and build up fighters and stars. right now there are so many events its hard to get properly excited or give a fuck about half of them.

yacobod

Banned
ya i'm not really buying what the voice is trying to sell here. now that fedor has lost his mystique and HW GOAT status, are we now trying to destroy his reputation as being a nice and humble guy?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
honestly i think it's over-saturated at this point. i think it would be a good move to par down the offerings. 1 pay per view a month, and maybe a highqvuality free card every 2 or 3 months. It would help them hype events and build up fighters and stars. right now there are so many events its hard to get properly excited or give a fuck about half of them.

When you factor in the gate money and sponsorships, they probably make more money doing more shows that draw lower buyrates than they would doing less shows with a higher buyrate.

charsace

no i agree he's not the TD artist that Chael is, but he was effective at getting guys on their back. his actual wrestling was probably overrated, but his size/strength made it effective.

His wrestling was far from overrated. Brock had quick take downs and when he was on ground he could make really quick transitions at times. I still remember his slick transition on Mir in the first fight when he was throwing hammer fists down on him.

I looked up Sapp's record to see if he ever fought Severn (doesn't look like it) and holy shit, he has gotten ko'ed a lot in the last few years. He's in the running against Goodridge for first veteran fighter to die in the cage.

Heel

I looked up Sapp's record to see if he ever fought Severn (doesn't look like it) and holy shit, he has gotten ko'ed a lot in the last few years. He's in the running against Goodridge for first veteran fighter to die in the cage.

Enjoy.

The world is ready for Fedor vs. Lungu.

tass0

Banned

He's not really getting KO'd.

After 2005, he throws all his fights, just shows up to get his payday.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Timmay was even defending him

you can read the whole thing here
http://twitter.com/#!/SchiavelloVOICE

Schiavello has said some retarded shit almost comparable to goldie. I remember during the Corbett Vs Tyrone S pong fight, after the REF fucked everything up and Nate charged Tyrone, Schiavello opened his trap saying 'carnage is disgusting, what a despicable thing to do' when it was a CLEAR fucking misunderstanding and anyone who knows him or has ever even heard Corbett talk knows he'd never pull dirty shit in the ring. We even called his ass out on it in the Sherdog kickboxing subforum and he 'mysteriously' went on vacation.

Curious, does anyone know what Overeem and Belfort weighed in at when they fought at hw in Strikeforce 2006?

They fought each other at 205 in Pride in 2005. Couldn't find any weigh in info for the Strikeforce fight.

Overeem vs Belfort - PRIDE - Total Elimination - 23/04/2005

Alistair Overeem vs Vitor Belfort 2 -Strikeforce Revenge

Edit, I found this weigh in video. Wow, Reem was just 210 and Belfort was 209. Well now that makes me wonder what they were at for the Pride fight. I would have assumed they were cutting to make 205, but maybe not.

According to an article I found on Sherdog, Shogun was the only one that came in overweight at the 23/04/05 event. He weighed 93.5 kg. He apparently had to cut to make 92.9. Not sure if that helps.

I was just watching old Strikeforce fights, saw that one and it made me curious. Reem already looks a lot bigger in just that 1 year.

Curious, does anyone know what Overeem and Belfort weighed in at when they fought at hw in Strikeforce 2006?

They fought each other at 205 in Pride in 2005. Couldn't find any weigh in info for the Strikeforce fight.

Overeem vs Belfort - PRIDE - Total Elimination - 23/04/2005

Alistair Overeem vs Vitor Belfort 2 -Strikeforce Revenge

Edit, I found this weigh in video. Wow, Reem was just 210 and Belfort was 209. Well now that makes me wonder what they were at for the Pride fight. I would have assumed they were cutting to make 205, but maybe not.

The Pride MW division was 93kg, or in other words 205 pounds. So yeah that's what's both guys were suppose to weigh in at.

Crazy to think that Overeem fought at 205 most of his career. He was like a tall skinny kid with some abs. Glad he made the decision go to go HW a while back. It was like a rebirth for him and really revitalized his career.

Top Bottom