• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Chamber

love on your sleeve
MAIN CARD (Showtime)

Champ Luke Rockhold vs. Keith Jardine
Adlan Amagov vs. Robbie Lawler
Lorenz Larkin vs. Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal
Jordan Mein vs. Tyron Woodley
Tarec Saffiedine vs. Tyler Stinson

PRELIMINARY CARD (Showtime Extreme)

Alonzo Martinez vs. TBA
Nah-Shon Burrell vs. James Terry
Trevor Smith vs. Gian Villante
Ricky Legere vs. Chris Spang
jordanlaughing.gif

But of course, I'll be watching.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Say hello to ADCC Lesnar.

DeathClutch Gym will stay alive, according to Lesnar manager, Brian Stegeman. Lesnar wishes to continue training to remain athletically fit and helping his training partners grow as fighters. However, he himself has retired from competing in Mixed Martial Arts.

Grappling Tournaments, however, are still something Brock Lesnar has shown interested in according to Mr. Stegeman. Lesnar has been grappling his entire life. One can only assume that a grappling tournament would feel more like home for him than a mixed martial arts fight.

Lesnar feels he would be successful in such tournaments and will use his time in training now as preparation for any future Submission Wrestling/BJJ tournament. Though Lesnar has always trained no-gi Jiu-Jitsu, he is willing to compete in the Mundials (World Jiu-Jitsu Championship) under the black belt level.

The 2013 ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championships is also something Lesnar is considering. Many other wrestlers have had success in this tournament.

Brock Lesnar loves competition, and there is no better competition for him than Submission Wrestling.

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/1/2/2677483/brock-lesnar-and-grappling-tournaments

dream

The Brock thing is a lie. A damned lie.

But that Chuck/Tito documentary alrig1htstart recommended really did rule. I wish the UFC would produce more titles like this.

Wasn't there supposed to be a documentary that chronicles Rush St. Pierre and Crow Loiseau's rise from the UCC that eventually explores the...different paths their careers ended up taking?

Although Strikeforce is bad mma and I will be watching, I feel like some standard differentiation between levels of Bad MMA need to be established so we know what kind of Bad MMA we are dealing with.

For example, there is the level where at least one fighter will be so obese that they are too embarrassed to take their shirt off before fighting (featuring Best Ref in the Business Herb Dean).

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xzurl_herb-dean-vs-timothy-mendoza_sport

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
FOTY
@arielhelwani
The Acai Master, @RollesGracie, will meet Bob Sapp at OneFC on Feb. 11 in Jakarta, Indonesia.

rl2dH.gif

qOYB9.gif

Winner fights Arlovski in a shed for the ProElite Heavyweight strap.
Loser fights Fedor in a M1 Global fight.

At Lesnar vs Overeem they said that tickets for UFC in Brazil were still available. Didn't the first one sell out immediately? Any reason this one isn't? Aldo not a star there maybe?

yacobod

Banned
well last card in Brazil was really stacked with stars and a smaller venue i presume. are they actually doing this one at an outdoor soccer stadium?

agrajag

Banned
But I thought he discovered his wrestling was gone and that is way he didn't go after Reem?

I don't get all these people. Besides being scared shitless, he looked completely physically fine out there. Maybe his speed and explosiveness are gone a little bit, but I'd credit that more to being old and having a lot of wear and tear from pro wrestling rather than the diverticulitis.

MjFrancis

I plan on watching the Bad MMA that was Fight For Japan New Year's Eve 2011 (or whatever it's called) at some time this evening when I arrive home from work.

My finger shall remain on the fast forward button at all times. Wish me luck.

Grifter

Caught up with Dream on DVR after I fell asleep. I sat down expecting a 3 hour event and the length was the first of many Japan-induced mind-blows. Was there an explanation of the Inoki bit? I took that whole sequence in wide-eyed with my mouth agape, but I was that way for the fantastic match intros too. Built tension for guys I mostly didn't know. Can the UFC rent that warehouse they used and copy the videos verbatim?

I'm pretty sure a whole puroresu match was built around Sakuraba relearning its rules v. MMA. That dude is amazing at playing a character with multiple concussions and early onset Alzheimer's. Speaking of puro, KATSUYORI SHIBATA!!! Delighted to see him "live."

I plan on watching the Bad MMA that was Fight For Japan New Year's Eve 2011 (or whatever it's called) at some time this evening when I arrive home from work.

My finger shall remain on the fast forward button at all times. Wish me luck.
The kickboxing matches were good. I'd skip the Mach Chonan unfortunately. The other mma fights were pretty decent iirc. I fell asleep sometime during Timmay's wrestling match (surreal thing to drift asleep to), and later watched the Aoki and Fedor fights. Both are worth watching.

AiTM

Banned
Is Sonnen serious about another weight class? If Anderson really ducks him his legacy is seriously tarnished in my eyes.

MjFrancis

I rewatched the Sonnen v. Silva last night with the idea that someone (or two) tried to claim Sonnen was laying on Silva doing jack shit for the last four rounds, or something to that effect. Those people are wrong. It was a thing of beauty to watch Chael Sonnen go to town, to have an answer for damn near everything Silva tried to respond with.

His undoing was knowing he had won four rounds, maybe with a 10-8 1st, and he really overextended himself and opened himself to submission attempts in round five. I could see it all round, and when it finally happened I was still in disbelief that someone so dominant could make such a mistake.

He won't let that happen in the rematch, but then again he doesn't spend much time standing up so it's always going to be something people consider when watching Sonnen fight. It's been his Achilles heel, and they were saying that even going into the second Paulo Filho fight.

MjFrancis

The kickboxing matches were good. I'd skip the Mach Chonan unfortunately. The other mma fights were pretty decent iirc. I fell asleep sometime during Timmay's wrestling match (surreal thing to drift asleep to), and later watched the Aoki and Fedor fights. Both are worth watching.
Thanks for the tips I'll keep my eyes peeled for those matches.

ShaneB

Wasn't there supposed to be a documentary that chronicles Rush St. Pierre and Crow Loiseau's rise from the UCC that eventually explores the...different paths their careers ended up taking?

I believe it did debut at TFF, but that's the last I've heard about it, seems like I've been hearing about it for years as well, so who the heck knows.

yacobod

Banned
Is Sonnen serious about another weight class? If Anderson really ducks him his legacy is seriously tarnished in my eyes.

undefeated in the octagon, with an insane finishing rate, wins at 185# and 205#, and the best mma highlight reel since mirko crocop?

please, his legacy is secure.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
For any of you who do some sort of grappling/jits, do you guys wear headgear?

On one hand, I don't want ti to catch and end up wrenging my neck. On the other hand...dat cauliflower ear.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
undefeated in the octagon, with an insane finishing rate, wins at 185# and 205#, and the best mma highlight reel since mirko crocop?

please, his legacy is secure.

I don't get it. It's not like it was a controversial SD or even UD, dude got finished about as clearly as you can. Should Lyoto get an instant rematch against Bones because he "challenged him more than he's ever been challenged before!"? Sonnen got subbed like he always does. Maybe we should give Jardine rematches against all the people he got KTFO against. Hey, he was beating Bader the entire fight until he got KTFO!

I swear, the shit Sonnen gets away with just because of his lame trolling.

I'm rewatching the Carano Cyborg fight, and Gina is getting her ass pounded, then falls into mount when Cyborg tried to throw her. She's pounding on Cyborg for a bit and then just stands. And then continues to get her ass pounded. I didn't notice the first time or forgot that Gina just gave up the position and could have turned the fight.

AiTM

Banned
Yea well lets just get him some more fights like Okami and Maia. Who are the real top guys he has beaten? Henderson, Belfort, and Sonnen? Maybe Franklin? All of his other fights were with middle tier talent. Hes scared to fight Sonnen, and he should be, he is ducking. Im not saying hes not great but Im questioning this #1 P4P status. Bones did more in a year than he has done in the UFC. In terms of beating talent.

I don't get it. It's not like it was a controversial SD or even UD, dude got finished about as clearly as you can. Should Lyoto get an instant rematch against Bones because he "challenged him more than he's ever been challenged before!"? Sonnen got subbed like he always does. Maybe we should give Jardine rematches against all the people he got KTFO against. Hey, he was beating Bader the entire fight until he got KTFO!

Name one other middleweight who is more deserving, and please explain why.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member

I don't get it either. What exactly does he get away with? Nothing. He likes to talk. That's about it.

Doesn't Hendo want another shot at Anderson? Let him have it. He's certainly done a lot more than Sonnen since his lost to Anderson.

As far as him ducking Sonnen, what's the proof and why would he? Because he said that he doesn't deserve another shot at the belt. I'd agree fully with Anderson there. He beat a juiced up Sonnen while he was injured. Sonnen had every advantage in that fight and he still couldn't pull it off.

AiTM

Banned
Doesn't Hendo want another shot at Anderson? Let him have it. He's certainly done a lot more than Sonnen since his lost to Anderson.

As far as him ducking Sonnen, what's the proof and why would he? Because he said that he doesn't deserve another shot at the belt. I'd agree fully with Anderson there. He beat a juiced up Sonnen while he was injured. Sonnen had every advantage in that fight and he still couldn't pull it off.

So you think Hendo is a tougher matchup for Anderson? And TRT isnt "juiced up", or you better say that about Hendo as well. And its not Andersons fucking choice who he fights. Thats idiotic. The UFC should make the matchups based on the number 1 contender. I really dont care who he wants to fight. I want to see the best fight for the title. They have both fought since then, and Sonnen will have wins over Stann and possibly Munoz. If he beats Munoz, he is more than deserving of a shot. Hendo would be my second choice, but you're kidding yourself if you think Hendo has a better shot against Anderson than Sonnen does.

Silva is 36, and only has a handful of fights left. I dont want to see him waste his time on safe matchups like Okami and Maia. Those fights were a joke. He needs to go out fighting the best. But it seems to me like he wants to sit back and pick safe opponents.

yacobod

Banned
Bones did more in a year than he has done in the UFC. In terms of beating talent.

you can only beat the guys put in front of you, and hindsight is always fun, you can pretty much discredit every champion after the fact saying their competition wasn't any good. the only thing is the guys he faced were the top ranked guys at the time he was the champ.

let sonnen beat munoz in january, and i guaran-damn-tee dana makes silva/sonnen 2 happen. too much money is at stake.

i disagree about TRT tho. a 45 year old guy shouldn't have the same T-levels he had when he was 25. it's a silly way around the rules. i still say they should quit fucking around and let everyone roid.

MjFrancis

Henderson is the only other fighter at the moment who might be more deserving of a rematch with Silva. Lots of time has passed since that fight, and really aside from Sonnen Henderson was the only other fighter to give Silva any measure of grief in the octagon.

Silva, as stated, should fight the number one contender at any given time, and a 185# Henderson or Sonnen are the best fighters of merit at the moment. Should Sonnen lose to Munoz, yeah, give Hendo an option for a rematch. Any other opponent wouldn't make as much sense.

If Dana says that he'll fight Sonnen next then that's who he'll fight. He's injured at the moment (despite what some want to believe), so there's nothing that can be done right now. There's no way that the guy is ducking anyone. He's won all of his 14 fights in the UFC and only 2 of those have gone to a decision. You can't really ask him to do more than he's done.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

You could do this for almost every title fight after the fact. Presumably the guy who just lost was either the top guy or one of the top guys and "deserving," but when you lose, and especially when you get finished, get back in line. Actually if Sonnen had gotten ktfo I'd probably think he was more deserving of an eventual rematch than I do now, because by far the most significant thing he showed that fight is that his sub defense is still atrocious and probably among the worst in the division. hell have him fight maia and if he doesn't get subbed again then i'll be extremely impressed.

I think Anderson's position is totally reasonable. This isn't a Maynard-Edgar situation at all other than the fact that Sonnen's trolling apparently brings in the mouthbreather dollars so hey why not from a marketing perspective.

AiTM

Banned
I think hes a little worried about being beaten. Who wouldn't be with his legacy. Hes accomplished more in the sport than about anyone else. Im not denying his talent. But nobody wants to happen to them what happened to Fedor. Ive heard Ed Soares say as much, that he wants to remain undefeated, that its important to him. I really dont think he has the mentality of "give me anyone" like some other fighters. I think he is only interested in fights hes confident he can win.

Look how pissed he got at Maia for saying he "doesn't respect him as a person" comment. Meanwhile he blows off everything Sonnen says. Ive never seen a person try harder to pick a fight, and not only that, actually deserves the fight in their perspective weight class. And Anderson is just quiet about it and seems to put it off.

yacobod

Banned
the problem as i see it is, that bashing anderson silva is about as indefensible of a position one could take in an mma thread, that it's pointless to even debate it seriously.

AiTM

Banned
You could do this for almost every title fight after the fact. Presumably the guy who just lost was either the top guy or one of the top guys and "deserving," but when you lose, and especially when you get finished, get back in line. Actually if Sonnen had gotten ktfo I'd probably think he was more deserving of an eventual rematch than I do now, because by far the most significant thing he showed that fight is that his sub defense is still atrocious and probably among the worst in the division. hell have him fight maia and if he doesn't get subbed again then i'll be extremely impressed.

I think Anderson's position is totally reasonable. This isn't a Maynard-Edgar situation at all other than the fact that Sonnen's trolling apparently brings in the mouthbreather dollars so hey why not from a marketing perspective.

No one else at 185 can do what Sonnen did, agree? Silva didnt win that fight, Sonnen lost it. Its not just his trolling, its because of what he did that I believe no one else at 185 can do. And with wins over Stann and Munoz (if he does), how can you say he doesn't deserve it.

the problem as i see it is, that bashing anderson silva is about as indefensible of a position one could take in an mma thread, that it's pointless to even debate it seriously.

Not trying to bash him. If he steps up and takes the fight. Win or lose I would have a ton of respect for him. It would show me that he still wants to face the best and be the undisputed champ. If he avoids him, it tarnishes him in my eyes some. Doesn't have to for everybody, but its just how I see it.

yacobod

Banned
When Sonnen beats Munoz in 25 days, Dana is going to make Silva/Sonnen 2 happen this summer, because he likes money. Silva is out nursing an injury at the moment anyways. Talking about Silva ducking Sonnen is premature given he still has a fight to win.

I think hes a little worried about being beaten. Who wouldn't be with his legacy. Hes accomplished more in the sport than about anyone else. Im not denying his talent. But nobody wants to happen to them what happened to Fedor. Ive heard Ed Soares say as much, that he wants to remain undefeated, that its important to him. I really dont think he has the mentality of "give me anyone" like some other fighters. I think he is only interested in fights hes confident he can win.

Look how pissed he got at Maia for saying he "doesn't respect him as a person" comment. Meanwhile he blows off everything Sonnen says. Ive never seen a person try harder to pick a fight, and not only that, actually deserves the fight in their perspective weight class. And Anderson is just quiet about it and seems to put it off.

You don't pick fights in the UFC. You're put against the best competition and Anderson has beaten every person put in front of him. The guy is hurt right now. So, what do you want him to do? You'd think that Sonnen and his fans would want a 100% Anderson so there could be no doubts about a win.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
What is the next event you guys are excited for? I'm looking forward to two of the UFC Fox 2 fights and then a couple on the Japan card. None of the ones in between really matter to me yet.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
What is the next event you guys are excited for? I'm looking forward to two of the UFC Fox 2 fights and then a couple on the Japan card. None of the ones in between really matter to me yet.

I'm looking forward to Rio. I always like watching Aldo fight and I'm interested to see how Anthony Johnson does at Middleweight.

Top Bottom