• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Chamber

love on your sleeve
aldo_maynard_spar-500x360.jpg

I wonder what Aldo is weighing these days. He's going to need his cardio right for this one.

i have a feeling that aldo has been fighting down to his level of competition lately, i think he's going to come out and ether mendes to get people talking about him again after some uninspired title defenses.

Hasn't the word on Aldo been that he's having trouble making 145 and he's going in a little weaker/dehydrated than he used to be?

yacobod

Banned
man Jose looks like he should be fighting at 155 in that pic, he looks bigger than the bully who is a bigger guy at 155.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
WEC commentator dude is the host of UFC Tonight. So that's where he went. The show was pretty blah tbh.

They can kill it after I see Rousey and Cyborg
She's pushing for a fight with Tate at 135 and I agree that's a much better fight for her. No female is a good fight for Cyborg.

Personally I think if Strikeforce wants to step up their game they need new announcers.
This. Watching a bunch of SF while at home sick, and I can't get over how irritating the comments are. Especially the loud and long laugh fits at their own bad jokes.

They need Don Frye and Bas Rutten. Bring back the Shark Fights heat.
Fuck ya

Boosting sounds like a drug reference.
<blows vicks inhaler into eye>

I was just wondering when Makler became a big fan of Tim The Barbarian Boetsch.
Hahahahahahaha

Meanwhile, I'll stand by my pick of Cowboy as the next superstar of 155# MMA. Who was I to know he took his blocking tips for the Diaz fight from a fucking punching bag?
My picks up till now were slightly better than 50/50. But can a coin rationalize why it fell heads or tails and tell other coins why they are wrong?

I'm going to go watch some Challengers so I know these guys fighting Saturday.

I had heard Aldo has a hard time making 145 but that pic above might just be the angle. When i watched the redneck commentary on Reem Brock, the angle of the tv made it look extreme--whoever was in the foreground looked much smaller (or other way around, whatever).

Heel

I'm going to go watch some Challengers so I know these guys fighting Saturday.

None of the guys fighting this weekend were on Challengers 20, but I can't recommend it enough. It's easily a top 10 card of 2011 in my book.

EDIT: I lied, Amagov was on there!

None of the guys fighting this weekend were on Challengers 20, but I can't recommend it enough. It's easily a top 10 card of 2011 in my book.
I usually do watch Challengers but my problem is I can never remember anyone later so can't remember if I saw it or not. Unless there's women fighting, cuz I can usually remember them a little easier.

MjFrancis

A brief urge to smoke Lucky Strikes just came over me. MMM... oh good the moment's passed.

My picks up till now were slightly better than 50/50. But can a coin rationalize why it fell heads or tails and tell other coins why they are wrong?
I imagine if I actually tallied up my picks I would land square between a 45% - 55% success rate. May as well be flipping a coin.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
what a motherfucker
http://theflyingkneemma.wordpress.c...-hunting-wild-cats-publicly-defends-his-case/
H5N9M.jpg

Two-time UFC welterweight champion and Hall of Fame inductee, Matt Hughes, is more similar to Brock Lesnar than we all may have expected. Not only are they both decorated amateur wrestling champions in their own divisions and former UFC champions, they also share a distinct taste for hunting animals. Only Matt Hughes enjoys hunting wild cats.

It appears that Matt Hughes is finding ways to enjoy his current hiatus from the UFC. Hughes posted on twitter recently that he was hunting with his brother, he was also kind enough to post a not-so-graphic picture of him accompanying his prey.

@matthughes9x: @dmech69 me and my brother love to shot cats! yfrog.com/nvgfufyj

Naturally, this tweet was not taken lightly by many of Hughes&#8217;s follower and he faced lots of criticism on his twitter account.

Finally Hughes retaliated at those fans with a unapologetic post, to say the least:

If you don&#8217;t like seeing dead animals please stop following me. I&#8217;m not even going to try and educate you PETA idiots.

Lately, MMA fighters have been subjected to criticism for what they post on twitter, and whilst this is an entirely different situation, it is non the less, slightly controversial.

Although he is not officially retired, his contact is done with the UFC and is yet to be renewed. Hughes is certainly in the twilight of his career and may only be around for one more bout. He has achieved some phenomenal feats in his tenure and does not have much left to prove in MMA except that he can go out on a win.

We will soon find out if these tweets will come back to haunt Hughes.

MjFrancis

The more aesthetically pleasing an animal is, the more likely people will be uncomfortable or upset with someone killing it for 'sport.' Myself included. It doesn't have to be rational, it's just the way it is. Personally I'm all for killing for food, I have freezers full of venison and cow. I just never understood the idea of seeing something beautiful and wanting to kill it as a trophy.

The more aesthetically pleasing an animal is, the more likely people will be uncomfortable or upset with someone killing it for 'sport.'

Yeah I don't give a fuck about crushing mudcrabs or frostbite spiders with my orcish mace of flames but bunnies, foxes, and elk are a whole different story.

Balehead

Didn't see this posted here yet: UFC targeting summer for Junior Dos Santos vs. Alistair Overeem title fight - http://mmajunkie.com/news/26805/ufc...os-santos-vs-alistair-overeem-title-fight.mma

Kind of a shame we have to wait for that long for some reason. Junior said he'd be able to train 100% in 10 days, and that was a week ago. Can't imagine Overeem being too injured from his fight against Lesnar either. Maybe the additional testing? Fighters just taking some time off is quite odd in a sport where a lot of fights are cancelled for injuries already.

During the press conference Overeem said he wanted to take a big vacation and return in the summer.

Yeah, I know that. Commented on it in the OT thread for the last UFC. Strange how these guys just take time off when the slogan is UFC - where the best fight the best 3 times a year. I understand the management issues etc., though.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't see this posted here yet: UFC targeting summer for Junior Dos Santos vs. Alistair Overeem title fight - http://mmajunkie.com/news/26805/ufc...os-santos-vs-alistair-overeem-title-fight.mma

Kind of a shame we have to wait for that long for some reason. Junior said he'd be able to train 100% in 10 days, and that was a week ago. Can't imagine Overeem being too injured from his fight against Lesnar either. Maybe the additional testing?

During the press conference Overeem said he wanted to take a big vacation and return in the summer.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
All the guys I know who are into hunting are douchebags. Maybe a coincidence.

Kind of a shame we have to wait for that long for some reason. Junior said he'd be able to train 100% in 10 days, and that was a week ago. Can't imagine Overeem being too injured from his fight against Lesnar either. Maybe the additional testing?

Reem is getting married and has legal issues to deal with.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

Reem is getting married and has legal issues to deal with.

The Triple Crown isn't over until June anyway.

AiTM

Banned

Every person who exists on this planet today does so because somewhere along the lines their ancestors had to be hunters. Its the reason our species survived to this point. Cant really get mad at probably the oldest tradition known to man.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
It's still early. I expect Natural and Ninja Scooter to supply us with more high quality trolling this year.

TheNatural

My Member!
Scooter and Natural starting the New Year off 0/2 trolling.

We demand better of you 2.

Sorry guys, I came out and tried my best but I only had a few minutes to train while you guys have been here all of the past few days. Even going against that I did my best, had a partially broken neck and cracked skull, and even had a hamstring strain yesterday and couldn't do anything, but I'm not out here to make excuses I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing and be positive and come out better than ever next time at my best.

TITO_WALKOUT_SS.jpg

yacobod

Banned
playing off that, i read that Tito is planning on retiring on the 4th of July and wants to fight Ace or Chuck for his last match.

Clay Guida vs Lay Praynard has been added to UFC 145.

Heel

Sorry guys, I came out and tried my best but I only had a few minutes to train while you guys have been here all of the past few days. Even going against that I did my best, had a partially broken neck and cracked skull, and even had a hamstring strain yesterday and couldn't do anything, but I'm not out here to make excuses I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing and be positive and come out better than ever next time at my best.

TITO_WALKOUT_SS.jpg

iDAyqnIfzT5rO.gif

dream

Chael Sonnen confirmed last night that C.M. Punk would be in his corner for his 1/28 match with Mark Munoz at the United Center in Punk's home city of Chicago.
Punk was able to get the night off from a scheduled WWE house show in Evansville.
It has been a long time since a WWE star has cornered a UFC fighter, but Batista, Undertaker, Vampiro and other pro wrestlers have cornered big-name boxers including Manny Pacquiao and Erik Morales in recent years.

If I were fighting either of the Diaz bros I'd let Golddust corner me and get in their head with his homoerotic tactics. You know 209 can't handle that shit.

dream

I think Dan said their training consisted of Al throwing punches at him while Dan tried to take him down.

I miss the simplicity of those days. ):

MjFrancis

Too bad that the Guida/Maynard matchup is fake, because I would love to hear Maynard bitch about losing the decision. That's a prediction I would put money on - that he would whine about any judge's decision that wasn't in his favor.

TheNatural

My Member!
If I were fighting either of the Diaz bros I'd let Golddust corner me and get in their head with his homoerotic tactics. You know 209 can't handle that shit.

Hmm. You may be on to something ...

"I have no prejudice against the gays, but I wouldn't train with someone who's gay. I have no malice, I don't take our physical contact as (something) sexual. But what if the gay person has that malice of having physical contact with me, of staying there grappling? I would have no problems having a gay student in my academy, but I would rather not train with him." - Antonio Rodrigo "Minotauro" Nogueira

Loss Fedor Emelianenko Decision (Unanimous) Pride - Shockwave 2004 12/31/2004 3 5:00
Loss Fedor Emelianenko Decision (Unanimous) Pride 25 - Body Blow 3/16/2003 3 5:00

10000304.gif

iDAyqnIfzT5rO.gif

dream

Netflix Canada just added 4 UFCs to their service:

UFC 124: ST-PIERRE VS. KOSHECK 2
UFC 129: ST-PIERRE VS. SHIELDS
UFC 111: ST. PIERRE VS. HARDY
UFC 83: SERRA VS. ST-PIERRE

sigh.

Top Bottom