• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Chamber

love on your sleeve
What channel is Anderson Silva fighting on?

iO6cSaZODKs0r.gif

yacobod

Banned
shame gsp decided to skip the back half of 2011 and all of 2012 ducking nick diaz. when nick beats him in 2013 people are going to say nick won due to ring rust.

dream

Obv the acrimonious break up between the UFC and Spike has led to Spike wanting to kill the UFC's business by airing GSP fights, turning potential channel surfing fans off of the company forever.

I think most people will be impressed by how he beats all his opponents effortlessly.

"Holy shit this bald white guy is making these dudes look like kids."

yacobod

Banned
nick can clear out the whole ufc 170# division while gsp ducks him, and these guys will still be making wrestling jokes.

yacobod

Banned
after anderson, aldo, frankie, cruz, and JBJ make successful title defenses in 2012, GSP will slip to 5th or 6th in p4p lists. should lose major points for inactivity and ducking the number 1 contender at 170#. he's ducking diaz worse than rocky was ducking clubber lang in 3.

ScOULaris

after anderson, aldo, frankie, cruz, and JBJ make successful title defenses in 2012, GSP will slip to 5th or 6th in p4p lists. should lose major points for inactivity and ducking the number 1 contender at 170#. he's ducking diaz worse than rocky was ducking clubber lang in 3.

Ugh. C'mon, man. Criticisms regarding GSP's tentativeness in the octagon and failure to provide finishes are completely valid, but I'm sick of hearing these "ducking" claims. Are people being serious when they say this kind of thing? You honestly think GSP's injuries have anything to do with avoiding Nick Diaz? Give me a break.

I think im turning heel. I think I am going to pull for Diaz and Sonnen to win their respective bouts. I love Anderson but would not mind Sonnen taking that belt. If Diaz beats GSP the WW division might be interesting again.

Im gonna miss Brock in the UFC. I think he can beat pretty much anyone not named JDS and Overeem. Hell he was doing pretty good in his fight with Cain till he gassed. Brock is leaving a big void in that division and was hoping to see him square off with Big Nog. I hope the UFC signs Barnett, Sergei and Bigfoot.

MjFrancis

I agree that GSP is going to sink in the p4p ratings. There's no reason for him to stay up, if only for inactivity. Guys like Jose Aldo and Jon Jones are showing far more spirit, much more aggressive fight schedules, more impressive dominance in their divisions and are flat out more entertaining to watch.

Hell I'm looking forward to the Frankie Edgar/Jose Aldo fight that will invariably happen when Aldo cleans out the featherweight division and looks for more competition in lightweight as he happily gets to avoid the brutal cut to 145lbs.

At least that fight has more of a chance of happening than this Anderson Silva/Georges St-Pierre nonsense people are supposedly still clamoring for.

yacobod

Banned
One thing that really stood out to me during my rewatch of gsp/kos 2 was how bad in general most striking is in MMA. For every Nick Diaz, BJ Penn, or Anderson Silva, there are dozens of Koschecks. GSP didn't throw anything in that fight besides a straight jab and some half assed leg kicks. And his fight with K1 striker jake shields was even worse, because he was winding up on overhand rights, and was only throwing them one at a time.

Where are my combinations people? Head movement? Non-existent.

This sport is still in the dark ages as far as i'm concerned. The talent level of fighters in 10 years is going to be so far ahead of the guys competing now its going to be funny looking back in retrospect.

I would much rather see Cruz vs Aldo than Edgar vs Aldo. Aldo seems off since his UFC run.

I think he's getting to big for 145#, so 155# is going to be his eventual home. No reason for him to fight cruz, unless he wants to go up in weight. And aldo would TKO him bad. Huge size difference between the 2.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
So, anyone in MMA GAF live in Chicago? If you are willing to do some scut work, I might be able to get you into the UFC fight on 1/28. Details when I figure out/learn more.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I'm going. I've already got tickets tho.

Yeah, we're doing a promo event for Dodge, and then backstage photography.

Come say hi at the Dodge booth. I'll be the big Asian guy there?

yacobod

Banned
ok so if Chamber goes to the event that would make 3 people from MMA-GAF, anyone else from Chicago or the burbs? I'm pretty sure Brian Fellows is from somewhere in IL too.

MjFrancis

One thing that really stood out to me during my rewatch of gsp/kos 2 was how bad in general most striking is in MMA. For every Nick Diaz, BJ Penn, or Anderson Silva, there are dozens of Koschecks. GSP didn't throw anything in that fight besides a straight jab and some half assed leg kicks. And his fight with K1 striker jake shields was even worse, because he was winding up on overhand rights, and was only throwing them one at a time.

Where are my combinations people? Head movement? Non-existent.

This sport is still in the dark ages as far as i'm concerned. The talent level of fighters in 10 years is going to be so far ahead of the guys competing now its going to be funny looking back in retrospect.
Rather than being in the dark ages I consider MMA to be in it's infancy. There's so much to learn compared to boxing. Boxing is but a small facet of MMA, and on it's own with it's own specific ruleset has been refined to a science rather than an art. The variance of skill sets between successfully boxers are few and far between, all the knowledge is there and the tolerance for a sloppy boxer in the pro circuits is slim to none.

Meanwhile, amateur MMA is filled with, well, amateurs, and the good stuff in the UFC is far from perfect. I look forward to the day when the average competition is as skilled as the top one or two fighters in each weight class. Someday.

Speaking of the amateur stuff, I'm going to see my stupid brother-in-law and cousin fight in different MMA matches in about a week and a half. The former brags that he wins all the time despite never training. If we call JMMA the Bad MMA™ then we are going to have to work on a name for what happens when you throw teenagers, ex-cons and malcontents in a cage for $100 a fight.

I think he's getting to big for 145#, so 155# is going to be his eventual home. No reason for him to fight cruz, unless he wants to go up in weight. And aldo would TKO him bad. Huge size difference between the 2.
Yeah, I don't get the Cruz/Aldo crossover. It would only add to Aldo's highlight reel, especially if this theoretical fight was going to happen soon.

MjFrancis

Dana's going to need another superstar to replace Brock. Between JDS or Overeem I'd be hoping for an Overeem reign if I were Dana.

yacobod

Banned
I can only think of 3 fights that could possibly get 1 million buys if Dana and co. hype them correctly:

JBJ vs Rashad (they might need a season of TUF to get enough heat for 1 million)
Anderson vs Sonnen 2 (after Sonnen murders Munoz and cuts the best promo in UFC history on free TV this is going to do gangbusters)
Diaz vs GSP (after Diaz clears house at 170#, GSP will begrudgingly face Diaz for a title unification match)

Bonus match:
Gina Carano vs TBD in a bra and panties match

Anderson vs Sonnen 2 (after Sonnen murders Munoz and cuts the best promo in UFC history on free TV this is going to do gangbusters)
Yeah I'm predicting Silva by a Rashad/Salmon head kick ko. Munoz almost got knocked out by Maia. How's he gonna stand with Silva? And I don't think his takedowns are anything too amazing either. Certainly not like Sonnen's.

Tate vs Rousey is gonna be hot.

I can only think of 3 fights that could possibly get 1 million buys if Dana and co. hype them correctly:

JBJ vs Rashad (they might need a season of TUF to get enough heat for 1 million)
Diaz vs GSP (after Diaz clears house at 170#, GSP will begrudgingly face Diaz for a title unification match)

Bonus match:

You're going to be so salty when Diaz loses to a wrestler.

yacobod

Banned
I wouldn't watch woman's mma even if they fought in bra's and underwear. I was live at the Sears Centre for Fedor and Henderson, and I've never felt the energy sucked out of an arena as badly as when i had to endure 4 or 5 rounds of Tate/Marloes.

Top Bottom