• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Chamber

love on your sleeve
So apparently the free Showtime this weekend only applies to On Demand for Comcast users.

ib4D2Z8fBstvD.gif

Chamber

love on your sleeve
All I wanted this weekend was Bad MMA™ in HD but instead it's just hovering over the international satellite once again. ):

MjFrancis

I've still to watch half of the Dynamite!!! 2011 Bad MMA™ - instead of watching it with my full, undivided attention and a finger hovering anxiously over the fast forward button, I had it playing next to me while I was on the computer, so I was half-watching everything and taking a closer look when things got interesting.

Since I've been on my computer at home for about four hours, I've only watched about four hours of it.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I passed out after 141 ended and woke up minutes after the Fedor fight. I haven't watched a second of it and I'm eager to watch it tonight

Proc

Watched UFC 141 live with some buddies. Got me right back into it. Diving deep with the ufc 2010 best of blu ray. So good for a guy like me who hasn't really been following the sport for years.

Anyone have a chance to check out the UFC: Ultimate Fight Collection 2011? It's something like 20 discs. Only thing holding me back is that its not on blu ray. I'll probably pick it up anyway. Anyone else had a chance to check it out?

Heel

Watching all of it is pretty hardcore. I'm merely going to let it all play out in my proximity.

Come for Bad MMA, stay for Inoki's crucifixion.

Anyone else think Aoki's stand up looked a lot better against Kitaoka? He didn't stay there long but he seemed to be more confident in what he was doing. He's been training Muay Thai at Evolve MMA in Singapore. They have a ton of world champion coaches there.

ShaneB

Anyone know of a Canadian station showing the Bad MMA prelims this weekend? I'm in Toronto, visiting my folks. Superstation is carrying the main card. Any ideas for the prelims?

Wuoldn't hold your breath. Sportsnet is basically rebranded any MMA as UFC, The Score does their pair with Bellator (but I guess that will change with it going to Spike), and TSN doesn't show anything.

I guess it might be on a channel that doubles as Showtime up here, I know TMN on demand basically shows the Showtime stuff, maybe check those.

Also, damn this thread moves fast lately, I guess that's a good thing!

Come for Bad MMA, stay for Inoki's crucifixion.

Anyone else think Aoki's stand up looked a lot better against Kitaoka? He didn't stay there long but he seemed to be more confident in what he was doing. He's been training Muay Thai at Evolve MMA in Singapore. They have a ton of world champion coaches there.
Ya, I noticed Aoki's standup looked completely competent. But I wasn't sure how much if it was because he was fighting Koala, who as far as I can tell is just a grappler.

Heel

SATURDAY FIGHT SCHEDULE

Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine

Prelims start at 5:00 PM PT / 8:00 PM ET on Showtime Extreme (Note: 3 hour tape delay on the west coast.)
Main card starts at 7:00 PM PT / 10:00 PM ET on Showtime (Note: 3 hour tape delay on the west coast.)

OTHER NOTABLE FIGHTS

Daiju "That Guy Who Beat Anderson Silva" Takase vs. Brandon Kesler (Saturday, DARE 1/12)
Shamar Bailey vs. Darrell Smith (Saturday, Colosseum Combat 19)
Masakatsu Ueda vs. Kyoji Horiguchi (Sunday, Shooto: Survivor Tournament Final)

yacobod

Banned
Sherdog's 2011 MMA All-Violence First Team:

• Heavyweight: Junior dos Santos
• Light Heavyweight: Jon Jones
• Middleweight: Anderson Silva
• Welterweight: Nick Diaz
• Lightweight: Nate Diaz
• Featherweight: Chan Sung Jung
• Bantamweight: Urijah Faber
• Flyweight: Ian McCall

Welterweight: No need to recite a hit list for Nick Diaz in 2011; we all watched and rocked to this man’s V. So, let’s go to the boffins: according to the number crunching gurus at FightMetric, Diaz topped 2011’s list of Strikes Landed per Minute (SLpM) among fighters with at least three fights in UFC, Strikeforce, and Dream. How dominant was he? Second-place Melvin Guillard clocked in at 6.22 SLpM. Diaz? 10.95. He set the all-time record for significant strikes landed in a single fight by FightMetric, with 178 against B.J. Penn, a record his younger brother would later break -- more on that later. He’s the only man to ever put up two 100-plus significant strike performances in the same year. He also ties All-V legend Chris Lytle with four 100-plus significant strike performances. No one else has more than two.

Lightweight: What started with a one-sided loss to Rory MacDonald at 170 pounds in April ended with two capital-V performances. In destroying Takanori Gomi and Donald Cerrone, the younger of the esteemed Diaz brothers had the crew at FightMetric tweaking. Against Cerrone, Nate Diaz shattered the record for most significant strikes landed in a single fight with 238, wiping out older brother Nick’s mark of 178 from his victory over B.J. Penn in October. FightMetric tabbed Diaz as landing 65.8 percent of his significant strikes against Cerrone, nearly doubling the expected accuracy of a fight with 200-plus significant strikes. Diaz landed 300 significant strikes, the most in any calendar year in UFC history. For violence in 2011, 209 was the only number you really needed to know.

and Cesar Gracie BJJ respond to BJ Penn's comments from yesterday:
Cesar Gracie said:
BJ Penn has apparently not come to terms with the beating he received at the hands of Nick Diaz. At some point it is up to those around you to protect you from yourself. To take you aside and let you know you are wrong and help save you from your folly. Unfortunately for Penn he is surrounded by 'Yes Men' that are unwilling to do that. The outcome will be predictable, resulting in a fighter that will never push himself to the fullest and will always have excuses for his losses.

Heel

Cesar Gracie said:
BJ Penn has apparently not come to terms with the beating he received at the hands of Nick Diaz. At some point it is up to those around you to protect you from yourself. To take you aside and let you know you are wrong and help save you from your folly. Unfortunately for Penn he is surrounded by 'Yes Men' that are unwilling to do that. The outcome will be predictable, resulting in a fighter that will never push himself to the fullest and will always have excuses for his losses.

iz6JdhzEIGVkd.gif

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
What is scut work? I live in Chicago and would kill for (2) tickets to the fights!

Just like being a runner and stuff.

I'll let you know as details come out from the people that hired us.

They won't be seats. For the most part, you'll be either watching the fights on TV, and then helping us as we take pre and post fight photos of people.

AiTM

Banned
I see Nicks strategy as getting an ass beating until the other guy gets tired, and because of his insane stamina, pulls it out after the other guy cant keep the pace. Curious to see how he will do when someone can keep his crazy pace.

yacobod

Banned
does that look like a guy happy to be surrounded by a group of chicks? compare those to say pictures of rampage or chuck partying with a bunch of whores...

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
So, watching part of Dream tonight! Mostly to watch my friends friend (watched just now), even if he got his ass kicked. But he didn't do too bad, Kubo was just too good. And he only had 10 days to prepare. Pretty surreal anyway to see someone you kinda know fighting NYE on Dream.

On a related note, the big black guy in Widlund's corner wanted to kick my ass once. I met him and a girl I know after hours at McDonald's. Said hi to my friend, and he, being pretty drunk, took offense. Not ashamed to admit I got the fuck out of there...

Nice suplex KO earlier as well!

Damn good last minute of Sakurai - Chonan!

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Siyar Bahadurzada vs Paulo Thiago for UFC on Fuel 2 in Sweden. Damn, that's going to be a fucking scrap. Could be a darkhorse contender for FOTY.

Top Bottom