• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Heel

Especially with a weak card.. bogus

iDut2cHyI99Ag.gif

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Im starting this year in a few months after I do some strength training and cardio...fully prepared to get my ass kicked.

I plan to go to Thailand for a month in spring to train full time Muay Thai. After I get back to Taiwan I'll see about taking up some beginner BJJ as well.

Well no shit he was cut. Poor guy was fucked as soon as he tried to cut 50 lbs or whatever ridiculous shit he was doing. He was as aggressive as he could be and tried to fight his game, but against a guy like Miragliotta, I mean Belfort, what could he do?

Rumble interview (taped before they talked to Dana) just concluded.

Asked would he change anything, would he come in lighter so he wouldn't have to cut as much...he basically said no, it was just a medical issue that popped up.

Asked if he thinks he still has a future in the weight division in the UFC, he says "yeah" and then says HE WANTS A REMATCH!

What a moron.

They cut back to the desk, and they guys are basically saying they think Rumble must be stupid or something.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Im starting this year in a few months after I do some strength training and cardio...fully prepared to get my ass kicked.

Right on dude. Which jiujitsu school are you looking at?

JDS interview just concluded. Hyped for the Reem fight. Says the knee is coming along nicely.

Dude just basically looked like he won the lottery tonight. He has to know that with tonight's event, the UFC is just molten hot right now in Brazil...and he happens to be the HW champ and a native. His manager is probably signing fat ass sponsorship contracts right now.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
JDS interview just concluded. Hyped for the Reem fight. Says the knee is coming along nicely.

Dude just basically looked like he won the lottery tonight. He has to know that with tonight's event, the UFC is just molten hot right now in Brazil...and he happens to be the HW champ and a native. His manager is probably signing fat ass sponsorship contracts right now.

Hope he enjoys the perks of the HW championship while he still can.

iB17OXAM0eyWJ.jpg

I was trying to figure out what interview Dana was talking about when he was tweet fighting with Gross on Friday, and came across Gross's predictions for how 142 would go. He is a pessimistic fuck. Sad voice saying there's no way it will be as good as the last Brazil card, because that card had more Brazilian legends and people were pumped because it had been so long since the UFC was there. I forget what else he said but he said other stupid shit. It's like the negative version of UFC's hype. Still bs though.

TheNatural

My Member!
Damn, read that OTL column, it's pretty interesting. Of course without names or anything else it doesn't mean a hell of a lot. We don't know who is getting paid what.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
We simply don't know how much they're bringing in/spending to put on these events. If they're giving 10% back to the fighters, then it's bullshit, especially for the guys making $6k.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The flip side of that is most debuting fighters probably don't deserve more than 6 and 6.

You pay the new guys at least a living wage so they can actually train in the sport to eventually get better, thus making more money.

dream

Now what does suck is the fact that every single competitor to the UFC was run by absolute retards with the most horrifically flawed business plans. I don't think I'm willing to say Zuffa doesn't have a monopoly on MMA but I give just as much credit to the idiocy of their competitors (Affliction having to pack it in after cancelling a single event, EliteXC getting shot in the head because of all the Kimbo hijinks, Strikefarce taking on Freddy's absurd contract when they had almost no revenue stream, etc) as I do Zuffa's business acumen.

Bellator shows that you don't have to put all your eggs in one basket in order to have a moderately successful MMA company.

dream

I also don't think Zuffa should take a cut of fighter sponsorship dollars, even if they're providing the vehicle for the logos to be seen.

yacobod

Banned
if the fighters don't make enough fighting to sustain themselves, they can work day jobs like a lot of other fighters.

the reason they don't is because they are lazy. most rather hang out, get bad tattoos, and play video games.

MjFrancis

1) Anderson Silva
2) Jon Jones
3) Jose Aldo
4) Frankie Edgar
5) Dan Henderson

My current P4P list. Screw what anyone else says, it's all going to be the same-ish people there anyhow.

And for shits and giggles,

6) Georges St-Pierre

yacobod

Banned
1) Anderson Silva
2) Jon Jones
3) Jose Aldo
4) Frankie Edgar
5) Dan Henderson

My current P4P list. Screw what anyone else says, it's all going to be the same-ish people there anyhow.

6) Georges St-Pierre

not a bad list sir. i think i'd put nick diaz at 6 though.

It has started
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbbs5nKXliU&feature=youtu.be

Basically, you guys do it too, comparing apples and oranges.

is that the stuff dana was promising to leak out?

Heel

Do you guys think Paul Harris is ready for another crack at the 185 elite? Who do you think he should fight next?

Looking at the scheduling, Belcher makes the most sense to me. Maybe the loser of Bisping/Maia.

MjFrancis

Nick Diaz may be higher than #6 in a year's time, really.

You could make a real good case for him there now, though, that's for sure.

And aw shucks, no love from Chamber. I'm hurt.

Heel

Silva doesn't match up winners with losers typically. The winner of Bisping/Maia would be ok though.

UFC seems set on Bisping/Maia getting the next title shot after the Munoz/Sonnen winner, right? I hope they reconsider that plan. I don't think either of them have earned it quite yet.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
UFC seems set on Bisping/Maia getting the next title shot after the Munoz/Sonnen winner, right? I hope they reconsider that plan. I don't think either of them have earned it quite yet.

There's no way the winner of Bisping/Maia will sit on the shelf that long. Recall that Anderson is claiming he's injured again.

Heel

There's no way the winner of Bisping/Maia will sit on the shelf that long. Recall that Anderson is claiming he's injured again.

I'd hope not. But even then, is beating Paul Harris really solidifying someone as the #1 contender? Not to me. Damn this division is really reaching right now.

Save us, Chael.

Heel

I don't know. If Bisping were to beat Maia and Paul Harris, I would think he's deserving of #1 contender status.

I can agree with that if Paul Harris beats someone legitimate like Belcher in the meantime.

Beating Harris right now straight away doesn't hold a lot of value to me. I know it's the same fighter regardless of who they've beaten, but you've gotta beat the man who beat the man in this sport to prove your worth and build a legitimate title fight.

1) Anderson Silva
2) Jon Jones
3) Jose Aldo
4) Frankie Edgar
5) Dan Henderson

6) Georges St-Pierre
I'd agree with this list for whatever p4p is worth, which is not much imo. Hendo's recent attempts at 185 can be dismissed because cutting becomes so much harder when you're a senior citizen.

Nick Diaz is #1 on most entertaining fighter list, but until he develops some tdd he's not a p4p contender. But p4p is a stupid concept anyway, but I have been out all day and wanted to post something.

Another UFC event this weekend wheee!!

Also, ProElite 3. Lets see if they can keep the streak alive from 2 where every single fighter gasses in the first round and all fights go to decision. (and yes I'll count that Arlovski finish in there cause it happened with 1 second left on the clock)

I was trying to figure out what interview Dana was talking about when he was tweet fighting with Gross on Friday, and came across Gross's predictions for how 142 would go. He is a pessimistic fuck. Sad voice saying there's no way it will be as good as the last Brazil card, because that card had more Brazilian legends and people were pumped because it had been so long since the UFC was there. I forget what else he said but he said other stupid shit. It's like the negative version of UFC's hype. Still bs though.
Oh I remember now, Gross said the UFC was trying so hard to get major network coverage but failed and had to settle with Fox Sports. I can see that as a joke but his voice is so depressive. I don't watch ESPN so not up on who these guys are, but based on the little I've seen I gotta side with Uncle Dana on this.

pr0cs

I'm a bit late (still recovering from the evening), but 142 fucking delivered. As usual the haters shit on a card and the fights more than make up for it. Thoroughly enjoyed last night with some pretty crazy shit all around. The last few events have been really good IMO.
and with that statement I probably jinxed it didn't I?

Baby Milo

It has started
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbbs5nKXliU&feature=youtu.be

Basically, you guys do it too, comparing apples and oranges.

terrible defense right there

FNF usually pays a license fee of 20k to the promoter to air there fights and it is hardly comparable and brings in nowhere near the revenue of a ufc ppv event.ESPN doesn't even pay the fighters. Im sure he knows that though. they even talk about the low pay that clubfighters make in the ESPN piece.Also they have the option of fighting anywhere else that isn't possible with the UFC.

Top Bottom