• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

SteveWD40

i re-watched the Sonnen/Bisping fight at home out of curiosity. On TV with Rogan's commentary, I could totally see how some people could have scored the fight for Bisping. On my rewatch, I think it would have gave him the first 2 rounds, and Sonnen the 3rd round. Live I felt it was a close fight, but it had a different feeling on tv.

I think I'm done with going to live shows, it's better on tv and i don't have to sit with white trash.

Watched it twice now and I score it a draw but you can see arguments for both guys getting the nod. If I had to pick a winner I would lean to Sonnen but only as I know how much of a hard-on US judges have for top control.

Bispings stock went up, he controlled for a lot of the fight was was busy doing it, fought at a good pace and was not "ragdolled" as many though he would be, I think people under-estimate Bispings ground game, his defending from his back and mount escapes were great.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
in line with that they should call the terrible 143: EVALUATION OF THEIR SKILLS
If not for the main event, definitely. Every UFC on FX and UFC on Fuel TV (especially the upcoming ones) definitely should though. Sheesh, talk about oversaturation.

Hello MMA Gaf, just putting it out there that our good friend Polyhedron has asked to have the UFC 144 "The Land of Can" thread.
denzel-smoking.gif

Watching Its Showtime from yesterday. It starts off good already w/ Duut and Silva fighting each other for real in between rounds.

EDIT:
Ghita
is a monster.

Speaking of which, Sotiropolous has really fallen off the map hasn't he? He was one fight away from a title match and gets derailed by Siver, then KOd in a minute by Dos Anjos, and now it will be at minimum 9 months that have gone by since his last time in the octagon.

Quick question from a casual MMA fan. Has there ever been any talk of the UFC brining back PRIDE, even for like a one-night type of deal?

Watched Total Elimination GP from 2003 last night and realized just how much I miss it. I havent checked Dream out yet, which should be noted.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Quick question from a casual MMA fan. Has there ever been any talk of the UFC brining back PRIDE, even for like a one-night type of deal?

Watched Total Elimination GP from 2003 last night and realized just how much I miss it. I havent checked Dream out yet, which should be noted.

Zuffa has no interest in promoting MMA that's not under the UFC banner.

What was left of Pride was folded into FEG and is now Dream.

Heel

The Curse of the Gladiator begins now.

Tonight, UFC President Dana White revealed exclusively to the Underground that the opening sequence for it's PPV broadcast has been redone and the new introduction will be revealed this Saturday for UFC 143. The event will feature Nick Diaz fighting Carlos Condit for the interim welterweight championship in the main event.

The opening sequence, which has shown a Roman gladiator preparing for battle has often been critiqued by fans and although the sequence hasn't been used by the UFC on it's FOX and Fuel TV broadcasts, it had been present as most recent as this past UFC 142.

To quote the UFC President directly: "He's been cut."

iquTp6kNrEwZW.gif

yacobod

Banned
i predict that whatever they replace it with will be even worse and more offensive to the viewers. people will be longing for the days of the gladiator intro mark my words.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It's time to end my suffering!?

About fucking time. Though you know whatever they come up with is going to be even more cornball and dudebroish.

dream

Of the 6 billion spermies that have fertilized the eggs of a woman, only one could grow to become the strongest man in the world.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
As UFC-GAF's resident artsy fucktard, I hope Zuffa revisits some of the awesome themes PRIDE explored with their posters:

http://middleeasy.com/images/stories/Top10/pride/1_.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://middleeasy.com/images/stories/Top10/pride/5_.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://middleeasy.com/images/stories/Top10/pride/10_.jpg[IMG]

and this one which is seminsfw: [url]http://middleeasy.com/images/stories/Top10/pride/3_.jpg[/url]

so beautiful. so poignant.[/QUOTE]

That would be nice, but they stopped even giving PPVs titles. There is alot Zuffa could do to ramp up the presentation, but they are content with what they have. Currently they do an amazing job with pre-fight videos/documentaries. Adding a theme wouldn't be that hard. But when you are doing one of these every month, I can see how you would run out of ideas quickly.

Honestly, I still am a sucker for Pride's in-arena set up. Dream seems to just be waaaaay over the top.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I love old Pride posters and Dream even does the standard posed fighters posters a hell of a lot better than Zuffa.

WpFex.jpg

Heel

They should commission artists to do limited edition posters for each PPV. That or track down the original PRIDE designers.

Heel

DREAM does have some great posters. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same people from PRIDE. Some fighter posters I like that haven't been posted yet:

mWHkr.jpg
06Whs.jpg

That said, there's a fair share of ugly PRIDE posters too.

Heel

Honestly though, the Nick/Conduit poster is pretty good. Funny how I only like UFC posters that are black and white.

Balehead

Pride posters for the UFC events would be great for fans like us, but do you honestly think posters like that would go down well with the general public? The one for Japan is already a huge improvement, I doubt they'll go any further.

That Nog/Ortiz poster looks like a god damn buddy movie.

Top Bottom