• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

TheNatural

My Member!
UFC on Fox 2 earned an average of 4.7 million viewers for its Saturday night broadcast on Fox.

Sherdog.com Tuesday confirmed the viewership figure with an industry source, who also revealed that the broadcast posted respective ratings of 3.21 and 3.20 in the Male 18-49 and 18-34 demographics.

All three figures represent a decline from the promotion’s inaugural effort on Fox in November, which was the most-watched MMA event in U.S. broadcast history. Featuring a heavyweight title main event between Junior dos Santos and Cain Velasquez, UFC on Fox 1 attracted an average of 5.7 million viewers and earned ratings of 4.0 and 4.3 in the aforementioned male demographics.

Not bad, probably not what they wanted, but I think any number in the several millions on broadcast TV is good for MMA.

yacobod

Banned
Dana and Joe Silva need to be mindful of putting on booking exciting style match-ups for the free cards, plus they need star power to be huge rating hits.

The UFC on Fox 2 card was pretty awful from either standpoint. The first UFC Card on Fox could have been a lot better had they actually put the Maynard Bendo fight on tv.

If Dana was smart he would have guys like Frankie Edgar, Jose Aldo, Nick and Nate Diaz, and other light weight guys with high work rates, exciting styles, and skills on the free cards. Frankie and Jose are some of the best fighters in the sport, but they don't exactly sell pay-per-views at this point in their careers. Putting them on free cards makes the most sense to build their brand better for PPV.

Chris Lytle would have been a king of the free televised card. They could have trotted him out there to open every free show to scrap.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Dana and Joe Silva need to be mindful of putting on booking exciting style match-ups for the free cards, plus they need star power to be huge rating hits.

The UFC on Fox 2 card was pretty awful from either standpoint. The first UFC Card on Fox could have been a lot better had they actually put the Maynard Bendo fight on tv.

If Dana was smart he would have guys like Frankie Edgar, Jose Aldo, Nick and Nate Diaz, and other light weight guys with high work rates, exciting styles, and skills on the free cards. Frankie and Jose are some of the best fighters in the sport, but they don't exactly sell pay-per-views at this point in their careers. Putting them on free cards makes the most sense to build their brand better for PPV.

Chris Lytle would have been a king of the free televised card. They could have trotted him out there to open every free show to scrap.

Yep. I have no idea what their strategy has been for the Fox cards. I know Jones-Machida was an important fight, but in terms of fireworks and increasing exposure for the sport, why not put someone like Bones on at least one free card? I swear that despite the Fox stuff, UFC's #1 focus is still on milking their hardcore fanbase dry rather than actually making a real effort at broadening the appeal of the sport. How else can you explain the horrible Fox 2 card? Everyone who knew anything about MMA knew that was a fucking terrible lineup to use to sell the sport to casuals.

TheNatural

My Member!

The easiest thing to do was just put the Aldo card on FOX and get him some much needed exposure and an exciting finish. Put the past card on PPV or whatever combined with some other fights.

They have it all reversed, but I think in general that people overestimate what just being on FOX does. I like seeing the millions part after the number, but lets be real, people are going to like what they like, not like what they don't like, and casually like certain things. It's not like the UFC was in a cave that no one could find it in, most people have Spike, and it was an option just as much as anything else.

It's great to give the sport more people to watch it, as long as they don't expect PPV buyrates to jump in response or ratings to be ridiculous great, because that's just not realistic. You can't control everything.

yacobod

Banned
I don't disagree, but I'd like to think they would have a better strategy for expanding the brand and building new stars. But like Astro said, they probably are more concerned with nickel and diming the hardcore fans with 16 pay-per-views per year.

Like if I was Dana and company, I would put the Rashad/JBJ fight on free TV. It might be a short term loss for them to lose a chance to do 800k ppvs, but they have an opportunity to turn JBJ into the first true crossover star in the sport. Chuck and GSP have both crossed over to a certain degree, but I'm talking about on a much bigger scale.

No way the JBJ fight will be boring, and most likely we will see him spectacularly ether Rashad on free tv would be pure dynamite. Get these fuckers on the shows and promote the fuck out of it.

TheNatural

My Member!
I don't disagree, but I'd like to think they would have a better strategy for expanding the brand and building new stars. But like Astro said, they probably are more concerned with nickel and diming the hardcore fans with 16 pay-per-views per year.

Like if I was Dana and company, I would put the Rashad/JBJ fight on free TV. It might be a short term loss for them to lose a chance to do 800k ppvs, but they have an opportunity to turn JBJ into the first true crossover star in the sport. Chuck and GSP have both crossed over to a certain degree, but I'm talking about on a much bigger scale.

No way the JBJ fight will be boring, and most likely we will see him spectacularly ether Rashad on free tv would be pure dynamite. Get these fuckers on the shows and promote the fuck out of it.

Meh, if people don't know who Jones is now or not willing to pay to see him after last year, and the hype for this fight in general, then they never will. I think it's overrated what broadcast TV can actually do. It would be ridiculous for UFC to give up probably their best buyrate PPV of the year for free, especially with the shape some of the recent PPV's have put them in.

yacobod

Banned
Nick vs GSP would be the biggest ppv if Nick wins on Saturday. That will do 1 million.

Rashad is afraid and won't go out of his way to hype his execution versus JBJ. I think this fight lost a lot of heat, after all the delays.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Meh, if people don't know who Jones is now or not willing to pay to see him after last year, and the hype for this fight in general, then they never will. I think it's overrated what broadcast TV can actually do. It would be ridiculous for UFC to give up probably their best buyrate PPV of the year for free, especially with the shape some of the recent PPV's have put them in.

I dunno, UFC strategy has been pretty much in line with your suggestions and that doesn't seem to be working out so great for them.

EDIT: I don't buy that the market is anywhere near tapped out. There are so many fight fans that have been given very little reason to follow MMA (no, fucking TUF and all its associated bullshit don't count, nor do most of the terribad free cards including the two fox cards). And yet more or less invisible to the general public (who would be interested in this if it was presented to them the right way) you have this awesome sport and all these amazing, exciting athletes. There is just no plausible excuse for the fox 2 card even if you want to hold on to all your PPV attractions. It's almost like that card was a big fuck you to the idea of presenting MMA as an exciting sport to the network-viewing audience.

TheNatural

My Member!
Nick vs GSP would be the biggest ppv if Nick wins on Saturday. That will do 1 million.

Rashad is afraid and won't go out of his way to hype his execution versus JBJ. I think this fight lost a lot of heat, after all the delays.

Semantics. Bones-Evans would be one of the top ones if not the top, it's still a lot of money they're not going to give up. It would be up there with a GSP or Silva fight. I just don't think the names matter that much on broadcast as much as just getting people acclimated with decent fights. But like I said, there's only so many people going to watch no matter what happens. Combat sports just aren't going to do anywhere close to the big three sports, no matter what Dana says, it's unrealistic.

TheNatural

My Member!
I dunno, UFC strategy has been pretty much in line with your suggestions and that doesn't seem to be working out so great for them.

Well what is considered great? I think they're doing fine with the numbers on these shows and if they or anyone expected more, they're out of touch with reality. 3 boring fights doesn't help much, and I'm sure they'll change that in the future, but I don't know how much different the ratings would be in there was Benderson-Edgar, Aldo-whoever, and so on on these cards.

It would have been better if less people had seen the Fox 2 card. I told friends not to watch it because I want people to watch Diaz Conduit with me, and I knew this card would make them less likely to want to watch a ppv the next weekend.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but the Diaz-Conduit fight would have been great to have on this past weeks free card as a co-headliner. Maybe I'm wrong, but that doesn't scream big PPV draw to me anyway, and you get a chance to build up GSP's next opponent to a national network audience.

TheNatural

My Member!
UFC on Fox 2 might not have provided as much action as some had hoped, but the event did manage to draw a better rating than the network’s previous month of Saturday primetime programming.

According to Nielsen Media Research, UFC on Fox 2 posted a 2.7/5 household rating, a 42-percent increase from the average for the past four weeks on Fox (1.9/4).

Fox Sports Research projects that the network will win Saturday night in the Adults 18-49 demographic by a wide margin, and might also beat ABC, CBS and NBC in the 18-34 category when official figures are released on Tuesday.

The three-bout, two-hour card did not do as well as the UFC’s hour-long November debut on Fox, which saw Junior dos Santos defeat Cain Velasquez for the heavyweight championship. When comparing similar times for the two events, UFC on Fox 1 did a 3.5/6 from 9 to 10 p.m ET, while Saturday’s fights posted a 3.1/5 from 9 to 10:15 p.m. ET.

Ratings increased as the UFC on Fox 2 broadcast grew closer to the main event. Chris Weidman’s unanimous decision win over Demian Maia posted a 2.3/4, while ratings grew to a 2.9/5 for Chael Sonnen’s three-round triumph over Michael Bisping in the next contest. Viewership peaked for the main event, as the bout between Rashad Evans and Phil Davis drew a 3.4/6. Evans earned a convincing unanimous decision win against Davis in their five-round light heavyweight affair.

The show, which took place at the United Center in Chicago, drew its best numbers in the UFC’s hometown of Las Vegas, where it earned a 4.1/8. Other successful markets included Louisville, Ky., (4.1/7), Indianapolis (3.9/7), Tulsa, Okla., (3.9/6) and Knoxville, Tenn. (3.9/6).

Kept up my bargain here in the Ville, and it shows. Damn Hawaiians with their Bad MMA bringing down the average.

I think if Overeem wins the title than hes the guy they want on FOX for his first defense. He can be the cross over star the UFC has been looking for. He has more appeal than Jones and he already has exposure on a world wide scale AND is a seasoned MMA veteran.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
They need to hold to their promise of more title fights on free tv. When this deal was announced I thought the Fox cards would be treated like mega events for MMA fans. Imagine Silva/Sonnen 2 in front of 100k live fans in a soccer stadium on national television. It would be a true spectacle.

TheNatural

My Member!
They need to hold to their promise of more title fights on free tv. When this deal was announced I thought the Fox cards would be treated like mega events for MMA fans. Imagine Silva/Sonnen 2 in front of 100k live fans in a soccer stadium on national television. It would be a true spectacle.

Under Gracie-Sakuraba rules - to a finish!

Heel

What are some potential match ups you'd like to see in 2012? Let's keep GSP/Silva and Silva/Bones off the table.

GSP vs. Nick
Aldo vs. Edgar
Barnett vs. Mir
Alvarez vs. Chandler II
Bendo vs. Pettis II
Benavidez vs. Johnson
Barboza vs. Guillard
Melendez vs. UFC Top Tenner
Bibiano Fernandes vs. UFC Top Tenner

Fedor vs. Lesnar

thirty

Banned
i've always thought a TV Title belt was a good idea. the old NWA had that, where anytime that dude fought on TV, his belt was on the line.

a guy like Diego Sanchez would be a perfect fit. just keep throwing cans at him and have millions of fans watch him "goldberg" his way to wins.

TheNatural

My Member!
What are some potential match ups you'd like to see in 2012? Let's keep GSP/Silva and Silva/Bones off the table.

GSP vs. Nick
Aldo vs. Edgar
Barnett vs. Mir
Alvarez vs. Chandler II
Bendo vs. Pettis II
Benavidez vs. Johnson
Barboza vs. Guillard
Melendez vs. UFC Top Tenner
Bibiano Fernandes vs. UFC Top Tenner

Fedor vs. Lesnar

I'd like to see Fedor get wrestlefucked by Lashley. Should be good times.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Shinya Aoki And Eddie Alvarez To Rematch In Bellator This April

aoki-middle-finger.jpg

Here is what I would like to see

Vitor vs Rampage. Makes sense at this point in Rampages career because I don't see him getting a title shot anytime soon :( and its a good legacy fight for both guys.

TheNatural

My Member!
Here is what I would like to see

Vitor vs Rampage. Makes sense at this point in Rampages career because I don't see him getting a title shot anytime soon :( and its a good legacy fight for both guys.

He just had a title shot, of course he's not getting another anytime soon. I question whether Rampage has it anymore to even make that fight exciting. His power reputation is getting pretty dusty by now.

Dysun

Hopefully fighting in Japan is enough to keep Rampage motivated. He can still be exciting although he hasn't been impressive in awhile

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I pray that Rampage beats Bader. UFC needs to have a Light Heavyweight Ultimate Fighter soon -- the division is thin for prospects.

Boogie

But that would break their whole business model.

If the uber-awesome events are on free TV, and the meh events are PPV, then fans will simply think "why would I pay $50 for this card, when in a month I get to watch a championship event for free on Fox?"

I think the idea of hyping Championship PPVs by putting #1 contender bouts on Fox is a good one, it's just that the specific fights they chose this time around were baffling.

I think no more than 2 of the 4 Fox cards in a year should involve championship fights.

dream

It seems clear to dream that squash matches on Fox are the way to go. They build stars and are exciting and violent.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
But that would break their whole business model.

If the uber-awesome events are on free TV, and the meh events are PPV, then fans will simply think "why would I pay $50 for this card, when in a month I get to watch a championship event for free on Fox?"

I think the idea of hyping Championship PPVs by putting #1 contender bouts on Fox is a good one, it's just that the specific fights they chose this time around were baffling.

I think no more than 2 of the 4 Fox cards in a year should involve championship fights.

Yeah, this is why I thought Edgar/Henderson would have made a great main event for Fox. It's a big championship fight, should be entertaining as hell and you're probably not losing much in the way of buyrates by putting it on free tv.

dream

Matches like Mirko CroCop versus masked japanese cans :)

Yes, my good friend. That is exactly what I was thinking. Think about the story you want to tell and book matches accordingly. Wanna push Maia as a lethal sub guy? Book him against a kickboxer that can't rassle. Want to push Aldo as a devastating striker? Book him against a BJJ guy.

yacobod

Banned
dream I like your plan, but I'm afraid Suga Damian is K1 striker Damian. He's shown no interest in utilizing his BJJ game lately.

Yeah, this is why I thought Edgar/Henderson would have made a great main event for Fox. It's a big championship fight, should be entertaining as hell and you're probably not losing much in the way of buyrates by putting it on free tv.
I think the American public would eat up Bendo speaking in tongues and thanking his god for victory.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
1 round squash matches so we can get even more excellent analysis from the likes of Jon Jones and Dana White? Don't the pro wrasslin fans complain about too much talking, not enough action?

dream

But wouldn't that be partially mitigated by the potentially spectacular finishes that come from complete style mismatches?

dream

I think a lot of that was the fact that they only aired that one fight. And spent 45 minutes setting it up.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I think a lot of that was the fact that they only aired that one fight. And spent 45 minutes setting it up.

Fair point but they spent 20 minutes setting each of the fights on Saturday as well. That's another one of my issues.

I think what would really help the broadcasts on Fox is if they had a segment where Britney demonstrated a mounted triangle choke on Arianny.

Heel

Yes, my good friend. That is exactly what I was thinking. Think about the story you want to tell and book matches accordingly. Wanna push Maia as a lethal sub guy? Book him against a kickboxer that can't rassle. Want to push Aldo as a devastating striker? Book him against a BJJ guy.

I really don't want to see outright squash matches in the UFC. This is what Bad MMA is for. Let the division ladder work as intended, only deviating a few rungs when an exciting match up presents itself.

Joe Silva is the best at what he does.

TheNatural

My Member!
Dana on Rogan's podcast, here it is recorded:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/20138382

Apparently going to talk about SOPA, Anonymous, etc.

Got nothing better to do, I'll listen and post anything noteworthy and hilarious.

EDIT: 2 minutes in the guy is acting like a jackass trying to sell fleshlights. I don't know if I can make this.

Top Bottom