• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

TheNatural

My Member!
Mike Tyson on MMA and the greatness of Fedor

@UFC - So, UFC on FOX news? Diaz/Miller now the 5 round main event, also on main card heavyweight battle Lavar Johnson vs Pat Barry

@UFC - AND your wait for Brandon Vera vs. Thiago Silva rematch will be over soon - May 15th in Fairfax Virginia

iO80OscwLXBra.gif

5408d1314958535-tranny-not-confused-man-meh.gif

TheNatural

My Member!
Also, if you're wondering what kind of spring MMA is looking at right now, here are the announced events and main events:

3/3: UFC on FX - Thiago Alves vs. Martin Kampmann
4/14: UFC on Fuel - Gustafsson vs. Lil Nog
4/21: Jones vs. Evans PPV
5/5: UFC on FOX - Jim Miller vs. Nate Diaz
5/15: UFC on FX - Vera vs. Thiago Silva (if main event)

One HUGE PPV, the rest meh. The undercard for most is really meh as well. Take the main events of all the TV cards and you have a nice card by itself, but it's looking like shit up until May.

I never liked UFC's stance on cutting fighters. Just because you loose does not mean you should be cut. Beltron is a prime example of this. Exciting fighters deserve to stay despite if they are ranked or not. Beltron always brought it. I would also be pissed if Dana released Mayhem. Great fighter that will put on a show despite not being a contender.

With more events happening I find it odd to just cut entertaining fighters when they can fill up the card with them. Not everything is about rankings.

Diaz/Miller should be interesting. Lavar and Pat are going to throw some blows. Should be a billion times better than this last card. I am as enthusiastic as someone could be without drugs or a Zuffa paycheck.

Looking forward to the return of Silva and the best entrance music in MMA today.
Which song is that?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Josh Koscheck said:
I'm interested in the outcome of the Diaz vs. Condit fight on Saturday night. Should be a good fight. Hopefully Georges is out for more than 10 months and they can make that Interim titleholder fight twice. Hopefully he never comes back. ACL surgeries can take a lot out of you. They say you truly don't recover after those. I've had friends who have had those and they say they're not the same so hopefully it equals out the playing field and we can get another crack at Georges.
A bit of sour grapes here but I admire Kos for admitting the Gawd needs a torn ACL to possibly level the playing field at Welterweight.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Kos wanted to fight Wanderlei at 139 but when Vitor pulled out, they put Wand against Cung Le. Probably would have been a fun fight.

SteveWD40

Yeah I respect him as a fighter (mostly) but can't stand his attitude, wishing life changing injury on a guy because you can't beat him? low.

yacobod

Banned
Gsp is old news. 209 era starts on saturday.

For wrestling fans, i will offer this analogy. Gsp is like fellow canadian bret hart and nick diaz is shawn michaels. Its time to say goodbye to the boring and join the attitude era.

ShaneB

I never liked UFC's stance on cutting fighters. Just because you loose does not mean you should be cut. Beltron is a prime example of this. Exciting fighters deserve to stay despite if they are ranked or not. Beltron always brought it. I would also be pissed if Dana released Mayhem. Great fighter that will put on a show despite not being a contender.

With more events happening I find it odd to just cut entertaining fighters when they can fill up the card with them. Not everything is about rankings.

My thoughts exactly. I have no idea how the UFC plans to deal with the idea of a "deep" division if they're stuck in the mindset that if you're not on the way up in the rankings you're no good to the company.

Even if each division has a 50 fighter roster (and that seems like a stretch when you think of some divisions having "relevant" fighters), that's still only 400 fighters under the 8 weight classes, which again seems crazy if they're ready to dump any fighter that strings together a few losses.

Bah, I had more to spit out but lost my train of thought. I'm hungry and its lunchtime.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Gsp is old news. 209 era starts on saturday.

For wrestling fans, i will offer this analogy. Gsp is like fellow canadian bret hart and nick diaz is shawn michaels. Its time to say goodbye to the boring and join the attitude era.

What happens if Condit wins? Is he Stone Cold?

Dysun

If GSP's knee heals up we'll be back to 5 round decisions in no time at all.
Diaz might lose to every LnP Top 10 wrestler in the WW division.

SteveWD40

My thoughts exactly. I have no idea how the UFC plans to deal with the idea of a "deep" division if they're stuck in the mindset that if you're not on the way up in the rankings you're no good to the company.

Even if each division has a 50 fighter roster (and that seems like a stretch when you think of some divisions having "relevant" fighters), that's still only 400 fighters under the 8 weight classes, which again seems crazy if they're ready to dump any fighter that strings together a few losses.

Bah, I had more to spit out but lost my train of thought. I'm hungry and its lunchtime.

I know right?

they talk about expansion across the world and the idea of having events on in different places at the same time (say a small domestic card in the UK and a big PPV in Vegas), India, China, well for that they are going to need a shit ton of fighters.

Makes no sense.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
If GSP's knee heals up we'll be back to 5 round decisions in no time at all.
Diaz might lose to every LnP Top 10 wrestler in the WW division.

Don't let the 209'ers know that. Beating up Baby Jay for 2 rounds was clearly the start of the Diaz era.

yacobod

Banned
Are we going to start pretending that retiring an mma legend and giving him the worst beating of his career isnt impressive?

This is why UFC has a hard time building fighters because they are mostly about rankings. Pride excelled in this area. You can build solid stars out of entertaining fighters despite loosing. If Mark Hunt looses to Kongo he still has some good fights at HW, Cung Le still has some entertaining fights as does Sexy if he looses to Shields.

I would much rather watch a card with Hunt as a headline than Rick Story.

Heel

A bit of sour grapes here but I admire Kos for admitting the Gawd needs a torn ACL to possibly level the playing field at Welterweight.

In Koscheck's latest interview with Ariel he says he still can't feel part of his mouth after the GSP fight. The doctors told him it will probably be like that for the rest of his life. No wonder he's bitter.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Pretty sure Kos is just trolling.

But yeah it's pretty underappreciated how bad the GSP fight actually messed him up physically.

ShaneB

This is why UFC has a hard time building fighters because they are mostly about rankings. Pride excelled in this area. You can build solid stars out of entertaining fighters despite loosing. If Mark Hunt looses to Kongo he still has some good fights at HW, Cung Le still has some entertaining fights as does Sexy if he looses to Shields.

I would much rather watch a card with Hunt as a headline than Rick Story.

I think it comes down to realizing what's more important to the long term growth of the sport? Lifetime .500 record fighters that might not main event but put on an entertaining fight, or the guys who choose to grind out wins to climb rankings and then fade into obscurity after a few loses.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Are we going to start pretending that retiring an mma legend and giving him the worst beating of his career isnt impressive?
Just like the second fight with GSP. GSP took his soul.

Man GSP looks awesome with hair.

Top Bottom