• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

TheNatural

My Member!
I read this and thought it was funny:

"A WWE employee texted a UFC employee during Saturday's show on FOX to say their production is terrible. The WWE employee received a text back reading, "At least we don't have an imbecilic lead announcer ruining our show." "

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
God damn, there's like 90 UFC on FX/Fuel cards before UFC on Fox 3 and they're all shitty. Why not merge some of these things? And the UFC wonders why their ppv numbers are dropping. They're spreading themselves too thin and the quality of their ppvs are suffering. Either get out of the ppv ghetto entirely or make it worth paying $60 bucks, not this boxing-card type shit where there's a big name main event and everything else is blah.

-This weekend's card is awesome main-event, blah everything else. Who in the fuck is Clifford Starks and why is he on the main card of a UFC ppv? I don't even remember him from Bad MMA.
-Sanchez vs Ellenberger would be the third best fight on a respectable ppv. The rest of that card is crap.
-Japan card is awesome, can't hate on that. Main-event is weak though from a casual perspective. It won't crack 400k buys.
-Alves vs Kampmann is the third best fight on a respectable ppv. The flyweights would be on ppv prelims in the past. The prelims for this card are total crap though.
-Diet Nog vs Gustaffson would be the opening fight on a ppv. There's a couple good scraps on the main card but those would be Spike-prelims to a ppv in the past. The undercard is crap.
-Other than the main-event (Bones-Rashad), every single fight on 145 is prelim material.
-UFC on Fox 3 doesn't have a main-event. No, Miller-Diaz isn't main-event material. Opening fight on a ppv.

I'm all for free mma on tv but this is a case where more isn't better. Instead of having stacked ppv cards and stacked tv cards we have middling cards of both. I'm actually going to have to force myself to watch some of these things. Before for me it was "yes, there's a UFC card this weekend!", now it's "oh, look another bland card. I guess I'll watch it if there's no football or basketball on".

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
-This weekend's card is awesome main-event, blah everything else. Who in the fuck is Clifford Starks and why is he on the main card of a UFC ppv? I don't even remember him from Bad MMA.
-Sanchez vs Ellenberger would be the third best fight on a respectable ppv. The rest of that card is crap.
-Japan card is awesome, can't hate on that. Main-event is weak though from a casual perspective. It won't crack 400k buys.
-Alves vs Kampmann is the third best fight on a respectable ppv. The flyweights would be on ppv prelims in the past. The prelims for this card are total crap though.
-Diet Nog vs Gustaffson would be the opening fight on a ppv. There's a couple good scraps on the main card but those would be Spike-prelims to a ppv in the past. The undercard is crap.
-Other than the main-event (Bones-Rashad), every single fight on 145 is prelim material.
-UFC on Fox 3 doesn't have a main-event. No, Miller-Diaz isn't main-event material. Opening fight on a ppv.

You must have some high expectations there...there's a couple of fights that are going to be great. Calling Che Mills vs. Future 170 Champ prelim material is stupid. In general it seems like you don't like a card unless every fight is headline material. A casual perspective of the UFC 144 main event is that Bendo and Edgar are going to put on a great show. I look forward to fights based on the fighters' last fights because that is how I remember these "no name" fighters. I don't care about starpower or name recognition. I just want a good fight. I'd consider the Fox card on paper respectable. Guess what? It was absolute dog shit.

TheNatural

My Member!
God damn, there's like 90 UFC on FX/Fuel cards before UFC on Fox 3 and they're all shitty. Why not merge some of these things? And the UFC wonders why their ppv numbers are dropping. They're spreading themselves too thin and the quality of their ppvs are suffering. Either get out of the ppv ghetto entirely or make it worth paying $60 bucks, not this boxing-card type shit where there's a big name main event and everything else is blah.

I'm all for free mma on tv but this is a case where more isn't better. Instead of having stacked ppv cards and stacked tv cards we have middling cards of both. I'm actually going to have to force myself to watch some of these things. Before for me it was "yes, there's a UFC card this weekend!", now it's "oh, look another bland card. I guess I'll watch it if there's no football or basketball on".

I'll still watch, but it's definitely not as fun when you don't know who the fuck half the guys are. Or when you realize who they are you're just like 'oh yeah that was the guy who got KTFO in that one prelim' or something. I guess the silver lining is more spots = more chances for guys to impress and rise up the card, like Gustaffson.

ShaneB

Wow. Lots of hate in that post.

Haven't you learned anything? The cards you go in with low expectations are generally the ones that deliver.

In a sport where anything can happen, I like to keep an open mind and think any fight has the potential to be a great fight. It's two guys getting in the octagon and fighting. They get my respect for that much, and if it's an entertaining fight, more respect to anyone that does that.

edit: and I'm baffled at your logic at how these guys make a name for themselves to get to "main event" status (a logic I don't understand either, as you're devaluing the rest of any fight card, which is exactly what you're doing), unless they're fighting on prelims and put on great fights, and then all of a sudden people tell you "oh man, you should've watched the prelims!!"

second edit: my only issue with having so many events, is just that, missing prelims because the events run so long live. I'd much rather watch a 3 hour event knowing all the fights could be crammed into the show and make everything run fluid. I'm not spending 6 or 7 hours each saturday to watch fights live and in turn maybe only end up seeing an hour of fights because things end quickly.

TheNatural

My Member!
Wow. Lots of hate in that post.

Haven't you learned anything? The cards you go in with low expectations are generally the ones that deliver.

In a sport where anything can happen, I like to keep an open mind and think any fight has the potential to be a great fight. It's two guys getting in the octagon and fighting. They get my respect for that much, and if it's an entertaining fight, more respect to anyone that does that.

The fight being shit or entertaining has nothing to do with the name, but it matters at least a little bit to see guys you want to fight actually fight. A lot of the upcoming fights can turn out good, but no one knows who anyone or there's very little meaning to the fights happening.

bone_and_sinew

You must have some high expectations there...there's a couple of fights that are going to be great. In general it seems like you don't like a card unless every fight is headline material.
-I mean, it'll be funny to see former top 4 p4p Miguel Torres lose to Michael McDonald but I have a hard time remembering who Michael McDonald is. I still confuse him with Rory McDonald.
-Browne vs Griggs is glorified Bad MMA.
-Rory McDonald vs the bane of Marius Zaromski's existence is a fight solely to put a veteran win on McDonald's resume.

None of these fights generate hype though. Without Bones-Rashad, this is UFC Fight Night-quality at best.

I don't want middling cards every week. That's what Bad MMA is for. I want UFC events to be these stacked events that I mark my calendar for and plan my night around like in the past.

For me it always comes down to naming names to get friends to drive into town with me to sit at a bar at 2 pm. Ordering ppvs has pretty much been out of the question for a while already, unless it's a huge card that everyone is talking about.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
You guys complain about not knowing who these guys are but then turn around and bitch when those guys get exposure. Make up your mind.

bone_and_sinew

For me it always comes down to naming names to get friends to drive into town with me to sit at a bar at 2 pm. Ordering ppvs has pretty much been out of the question for a while already, unless it's a huge card that everyone is talking about.
Pretty much this. I have to name the fighters to gather people so we can head out somewhere. Before I just had to say "UFC fights this week" and that was that. We either ordered at someone's house and had a watch party or went out to a bar. Now I have to name people and even my friends are starting to pick up on the fact that's it's "good main event and nothing else". They just want to watch the main event now and move on to something else.

TheNatural

My Member!
You guys complain about not knowing who these guys are but then turn around and bitch when those guys get exposure. Make up your mind.

I think you need a mix and get the name fighters on more cards and get them to fight more. About the only thing I agree with Chael Sonnen on is his postfight comments the other night about only fighting 3 times a year. Matchmakers need to stop setting up guys for #1 contender to fight the champ and the champ waits or waiting for a #1 contender and just let the guys fight more often. There's plenty of cards now to do it.

ShaneB

The fight being shit or entertaining has nothing to do with the name, but it matters at least a little bit to see guys you want to fight actually fight. A lot of the upcoming fights can turn out good, but no one knows who anyone or there's very little meaning to the fights happening.

But the idea is you watch these fights, and they put on good fights, and you learn about new fighters.

"Oh man, so and so is fighting, he was on the prelims before, and put on a great fight, this will be a brawl"

TUF gets a lot of shit around here, but it certainly does a hell of a job in introducing fighters, despite what their skill set might be during filming.

TheNatural

My Member!
But the idea is you watch these fights, and they put on good fights, and you learn about new fighters.

"Oh man, so and so is fighting, he was on the prelims before, and put on a great fight, this will be a brawl"

TUF gets a lot of shit around here, but it certainly does a hell of a job in introducing fighters, despite what their skill set might be during filming.

That's fine, but when like 5 straight cards are that, things get out of balance. Guys who were once good solid PPV midcard fights are now main eventing fight nights.

Great chance for guys, but at the same time, you also water down the events and maybe lose people that may be interested. Give and take on it.

bone_and_sinew

That's fine, but when like 5 straight cards are that, things get out of balance. Guys who were once good solid PPV midcard fights are now main eventing fight nights.

Great chance for guys, but at the same time, you also water down the events and maybe lose people that may be interested. Give and take on it.
Precisely. PPVs are so watered down due to the tv cards draining talent from ppvs. What's the point of ppvs anymore when they're so watered down there's not a lot to get excited about outside of the main event?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
hj5jgtuof85lou8j.jpg

Damn, Joe Rogan used to be a good looking dude.

ShaneB

I'm sorry, but this just seems like a silly workaround knowing that the UFC has been piss poor in developing fighters that matter and dropping personalities at the first sign of a losing streak.

Sure you want the image of the UFC to be the "best of the best", but if the idea is to trim down on fight cards again, than depth doesn't matter, and the sport doesn't grow at all if the roster is constantly whittled down to only support 12 cards a year.

Precisely. PPVs are so watered down due to the tv cards draining talent from ppvs. What's the point of ppvs anymore when they're so watered down there's not a lot to get excited about outside of the main event?

I'm not sure I understand your point here. Shouldn't getting rid of ppv's be the point? I'm sure the sport would love to grow to the point where it can profit from ad revenue and not ppv buys.

The ppv model is based around what, wrasslin and boxing... not much else needs to be said about the state of those two.

bone_and_sinew

Ugly tats and drugs will do a lot to your appearance.
I'm sorry, but this just seems like a silly workaround knowing that the UFC has been piss poor in developing fighters that matter and dropping personalities at the first sign of a losing streak.

Sure you want the image of the UFC to be the "best of the best", but if the idea is to trim down on fight cards again, than depth doesn't matter, and the sport doesn't grow at all if the roster is constantly whittled down to only support 12 cards a year.

I'm not sure I understand your point here. Shouldn't getting rid of ppv's be the point? I'm sure the sport would love to grow to the point where it can profit from ad revenue and not ppv buys.

The ppv model is based around what, wrasslin and boxing... not much else needs to be said about the state of those two.
I'm fine with stacked ppvs and stacked tv cards spaced out. I'm not fine with mediocre cards every single week.

yacobod

Banned
the simple problem is just general over-saturation of the product.

10-12 pay-per-views
4 fox cards

and put strikeforce fighters or some other kind of development thing on FX.

i dont need any more cards a year. shit is watered down as it is.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I think you need a mix and get the name fighters on more cards and get them to fight more. About the only thing I agree with Chael Sonnen on is his postfight comments the other night about only fighting 3 times a year. Matchmakers need to stop setting up guys for #1 contender to fight the champ and the champ waits or waiting for a #1 contender and just let the guys fight more often. There's plenty of cards now to do it.

143 has Diaz, Condit, Koscheck, Werdum, and Nelson as "names". Jorgensen is a good fighter but he doesn't have a WWE gimmick so nobody gives a fuck. I'm just saying you guys care too much about that kind of shit.

yacobod

Banned
143 has Diaz, Condit, Koscheck, Werdum, and Nelson as "names". Jorgensen is a good fighter but he doesn't have a WWE gimmick so nobody gives a fuck. I'm just saying you guys care too much about that kind of shit.

jorgenson is ugly as fuck and can single handily ruin cards when they show him in high definition.

I don't care about big names. I would watch a card every weekend. The problem is I will watch them by myself.

4NInF.jpg

Also ya, I tell my friends all the time how good the prelims were. They just look at me and say, ok, cool. :(

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Let's remember this discussion the next time someone complains about the UFC not doing enough to "build stars".

TheNatural

My Member!

Yeah, I was talking about after this PPV. Hence all the discussion about the fight night cards coming up through spring.

Heel

I'm not going to argue that the cards aren't thin on star power recently. I will say that UFC 145 is awesome from my perspective. Brimage/Blanco and Makdessi/Njokuani are like Joe Silva infiltrated my mind for a fantasy booking. Bones/Evans, Macdonald/Mills, Bocek/Wiman, Schaub/Rothwell, Danzig/Escudero and Browne/Griggs all interest me on paper. I can't say the same for a lot of UFC cards recently.

And yeah, my MMA viewing has been forever alone in recent months. "Who's fighting?" leaves me saying shit like "uh, well...Aldo is fighting this guy Mendes. A bunch of other guys I doubt you'd know..." ):

Chamber

love on your sleeve
And yeah, my MMA viewing has been forever alone in recent months. "Who's fighting?" leaves me saying shit like "uh, well...Aldo is fighting this guy Mendes. A bunch of other guys I doubt you'd know..." ):

That guy Mendes you picked to win?

iwh1UZAi5U3oG.gif

Heel

Bad news for Mr. Machine and Bad MMA in general.

@WarMachine170 - Seems my year in jail wasnt enough. Just got sentenced to another year in Vegas for some old bullshit. Nevermind Im rehabilitated. Nevermind Ive been out for over 6 months now and doing great and am finally back on my feet. Nevermind all my students that will miss me. Do another year and rot n waste time. Make no money, pay no taxes. Whatever, I just hope my boy @bensaundersMMA wins @BellatorMMA tournament.

@WarMachine170 - Fuck the motherfucking system! Fuck the bullshit! Vacation time, back to jail in 2 weeks! Cant stop me, all you can do is delay the inevitable. War Machine will always be back!

@WarMachine170 - Oh ya the judge looked and me and said she can tell Im on steroids and that thats prolly why I got in so many fights and am angry..lol Bitch

Heel

@ekc (E. Casey Leydon, MMAFighting camera man) - The new UFC opening includes a mash up of
"let the bodies hit the floor" and "o fortuna"

ibwPE2KjdX19km.gif
ibwPE2KjdX19km.gif
ibwPE2KjdX19km.gif

Heel

I'm really hoping this is a well-played troll, but Uncle Dana did say they'd be showing the media the new opener after the press conference. He would definitely have access to it as Ariel's camera guy.

dream

at this point I think we need to accept that this sport is all about heavy metal, tattoos, skulls, and goatees.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'd rather just have Face the Pain. You couldn't possibly pick a more generic song than Bodies.

God dammit, fuck you Uncle Dana.

bone_and_sinew

Since they're replacing shit with even more known shit, what do you guys think replaces the gladiator? I'm thinking a Spartan with cg blood-splatters in bullet time, samurai, or viking.

Heel

We done been trolled!

mmajunkie.com said:
According to a release, Digital Domain created the one-minute spot to encompass all eras of the UFC. Fights clips will combine archival footage with "entirely imagined backgrounds" that are meant to show the evolution of the sport. Additionally, the score was created by famed film producer and music producer Hans Zimmer through his company, 14th St. Music.

I never doubted you for a minute, Uncle Dana.

Top Bottom