• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Ugly tats and drugs will do a lot to your appearance.
I'm fine with stacked ppvs and stacked tv cards spaced out. I'm not fine with mediocre cards every single week.

Drugs? Weed? Yeah that makes a person age just like crack.....Rogan lives a pretty damn healthy lifestyle, yet still has fun.

dream

"combining archival footage with entirely imagined backgrounds" = Iceman Chuck knocking out Adolf Hitler then doing the Iceman celebration

yacobod

Banned
"combining archival footage with entirely imagined backgrounds" = Iceman Chuck knocking out Adolf Hitler then doing the Iceman celebration

this would be the greatest thing ever. maybe we can have tito GNPing ghandi and then doing the gravedigger.

Heel

SATURDAY FIGHT SCHEDULE

UFC 143: Diaz vs. Conduit - OFFICIAL THREAD

Early prelims start at 4:00 PM PT / 7:00 PM ET, free on Facebook.com
Late prelims start at 5:00 PM PT / 8:00 PM ET on FX
Main event starts at 7:00 PM PT / 10:00 PM ET on pay-per-view

OTHER NOTABLE FIGHTS

Shonie Carter vs. Tony Bonello (Thursday, King of the Cage: Reckless Abandon) [Heel's Bad MMA Fight of the Week]
Tony Lopez vs. Ryan Fortin (Thursday, King of the Cage: Reckless Abandon)
Joey Gambino (#2 FW prospect) vs. Kenny Foster (Saturday, Cage Fury Fighting Championships 13)

dream

I'm telling you, Iceman Chuck knocking out Hitler, Tito ground and pounding Ghandi, and Randy taking down Mussolini. That would be one hell of an intro.

TheNatural

My Member!
UFC girls having a little Super Bowl fun:

holding_cd_large.jpg

lead4.jpg

touchback02_cd.jpg

I need a minute to MYSELF ...

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
The undercard of last week's It's Showtime event is airing on HDNet in a couple minutes. Even for an undercard it's pretty damn good.

While its interesting and cool that he's so motivated to learn different stuff, huka huka is just a very watered down version of wrestling.

Then, they explained the rules were the first to get thrown in his back, like a Hippon in judo, would be the loser.
Anderson went there, lost 2 fights, first in less than 15 secs, then said "Let's do it my way!" and he asked them to keep fighting after being thrown into the ground.

Then, he finished the champion and taught him some moves.
Then the huka huka champion said "Ok, but in Amazon rainforest, man who wraps legs around other man's head is not the winner."

dream

silva-marquardt-2_medium.gif

Anderson's wrestling is fine. When's the last time you saw even an Olympic wrestler hit a switch in ultimate fighting?

wtf @ this retweet by Rampage

D_Franklin09 Doug Franklin
What happened to fighting to win?!? All these fighters were fighting not to lose! @danawhite needs more ppl like @Rampage4real #brawlers
18 hours ago
Retweeted by Rampage4real

lol @ Rampage brawling

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Rampage is so boring and washed up he almost made JBJ vaguely unexciting. Get back to Slampage if you think you can sneak past the tests, plz.

ShaneB

So fellow MMA GAF.... a topic for discussion. What makes a good fight?

I never would call myself picky, or heck, even have that much in depth knowledge of the sport to really pick it apart, but a topic like this always makes me wonder what the heck makes a good fight. Considering 'bad mma' is basically a meme at this point, I'm baffled at how much shit in in this sport if everyone but a handful of fighters are any good.

Like I said, I'm not picky, I might not love the heavyweight fights, but they can put on a good fight, as rare as it might be, but I generally seem to be in the minority, always thinking 'well that fight wasn't bad' when watching through any event. Hell, I can remember being more bored with the downtime rather than a boring fight.

I thought the card last night was fine. Nothing stellar, but none of the fights made me turn away.
So what makes a "good fight"?

I guess my barometer will be the Shogun/Hendo fight. A fight that many people will say was 2011 foty (not in my opinion), but what made it a good fight? It certainly wasn't technical, they were gassed and any sort of ground game was sloppy and they were barely able to stand, but they went in there and gave it their all, plenty of heart and just a never say die attitude.

It wasn't a showcase of talent, it was a showcase of just pure fighting will and heart. So was it a good fight because of entertainment value and it's as simple as that?

UFC 142 was full of first round finishes, and apparently everyone loved it and thought it was awesome. But were they good fights? Not really, they were just awesome finishes. If that's what the fans want, why wouldn't the match makers just send in a bunch of jobbers for the names to finish quick and have that be that?

A 3 or 5 round slugfest is a rare thing. When it's excepted like the Diaz/Condit fight, a gameplan will arguably be to go the point route and neutralize your opponent and NOT get caught in a slugfest.

I've rambled on and lost my train of thought, but I thought it would be interesting thing to discuss.

I liked the Diaz Condit fight because it was interesting to watch their different styles compete for dominance. Although arguably one fighter's style dominated more, both styles were in there and competitive all the way till the end. The whole fight was great but the end of the 5th was so exciting, especially if you were thinking Diaz needed that sub to win.

Unlike a wrestle fuck which can be extremely frustrating to watch because one fighter dominates and the other one just tries to survive, without much chance of trying to fight their style.

Werdum Nelson was fun because Werdum went off on Nelson but Nelson was always in it, kept pushing forward and you knew he always had a shot.

I guess for me part of the excitement is not being sure what will happen next. Some fighters and style match-ups seem more unpredictable.

Everyone loves a good ko or sub, so fighters who are known to finish will always be more exciting.

Top Bottom