• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

agrajag

Banned
^The guy taking that kick to the face posted on underground when that video came up. He was a bit disappointed about the cold reception his performance received.

So now even Joe Rogan thinks Condit lost that fight. Wouldn't be surprised if Dana makes the rematch happen, or at least tries his best. Quite a sport indeed if they begin rematching fights just because the results weren't what the fans wanted.

Dana said just yesterday that he can't make Condit rematch if he and his camp doesn't want to.

yacobod

Banned
Well the biggest part of the problem is that the unified rules are so nebulous and the way judges score fights seems to vary from event to event. How are they judging significant strikes, octagon control, aggression, submission attempts, grappling, takedowns, etc.

How many controversial decisions are needed in high profile fights before someone takes a long hard look at judging, the unified rules, and the whole thing?

some main event type fights in the last 2 years with questionable or close decisions that seemed to divide the community (this is just quickly off the top of my head w/out a lot of research to survey the events):

Shogun/Machida 1
Machida/Rampage
Penn/Edgar 1
Diaz/Condit
Penn/Fitch
Kampmann/Sanchez

and in other news Greg Jackson is now leaning towards cornering JBJ versus Rashad Evans. Story here.

Was this already posted?

Brutal head kick to a downed opponent mma fight

I guess that is what you get trying to emulate Jon Jones.

edit
wtf is see this happened at the same event: Double knock out when two fighters bust through cage door at MMA fight
I dunno, his knees weren't on the ground and it did look like his hands came up to try to protect his face when the kick landed, so legal?

But the big question is why aren't we watching this live? Heel? This is as Bad MMA as it gets! Double KO by unlocked cage door!

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Wouldn't surprise me if it was legal, hard to see from that angle, he deserved it though.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Nickcomplaining.gif

y2dvd

^The guy taking that kick to the face posted on underground when that video came up. He was a bit disappointed about the cold reception his performance received.

So now even Joe Rogan thinks Condit lost that fight. Wouldn't be surprised if Dana makes the rematch happen, or at least tries his best. Quite a sport indeed if they begin rematching fights just because the results weren't what the fans wanted.

I think that's pretty sad. I don't see anything controversial about the fight and Diaz does not deserve a rematch at this point. It's like when they awarded Penn his rematch against Edgar. Edgar clearly won but I think they wanted Penn to win it so badly.

This is how I view the "moving forward aggression". If they were about even in strikes, I'd give it to Diaz for constantly pressing. Conduit clearly won the exchanges though so moving forward and not doing anything with it means nothing. To me, it's like saying Leben is constantly moving forward, but he got knocked out, but he still wins for constantly moving forward. Doesn't make any sense.

To me, Conduit was looking to finish the fight but being cautious at the same time. Those spinning elbows, flying knees, and head kicks looks like he had the intent to hurt. Gotta give Diaz credit for being able to take some of those shots and just shrug them off.

yacobod

Banned
Rashad Evans medically cleared to fight at UFC 145 versus JBJ. Fight is official. Story here.

Rashad Evans helped Jon Jones become the UFC light heavyweight championship, and now he’ll get the opportunity to unseat him.

The one-time friends agreed to terms Monday to meet in the main event of UFC 145 in Atlanta on April 21 with Jones’ light heavyweight belt at stake. The UFC announced Jan. 28 that Jones would defend the belt on that date, but didn’t confirm that it would be Evans getting the bout until Monday.

Evans’ hand was sore after his Jan. 28 victory over Phil Davis at the United Center in Chicago. He sought the advice of several doctors, all of whom cleared him to fight. The UFC had veteran Dan Henderson on standby to fight Jones in the event that Evans couldn’t compete.

yacobod

Banned
How exactly is Rashad 2.0 different from 1.0? I think version 2.0 was an aberration due to him fighting an aging Tito Ortiz, who took the fight on 1 or 2 weeks notice? He didn't look particularly impressive against Mr. 1derful.

ScOULaris

How exactly is Rashad 2.0 different from 1.0? I think version 2.0 was an aberration due to him fighting an aging Tito Ortiz, who took the fight on 1 or 2 weeks notice? He didn't look particularly impressive against Mr. 1derful.

He's like K-1 Matt Hughes.

I'm going to say 2.0 tries to wrestle with Bones. He looks a lot bigger than he was at Jackson's camp. So with the rumors that he use to tool Jones on the mat I am thinking he tries to use his new found strength on him.

WrikaWrek

Banned
I'm going to say 2.0 tries to wrestle with Bones. He looks a lot bigger than he was at Jackson's camp. So with the rumors that he use to tool Jones on the mat I am thinking he tries to use his new found strength on him.

He did seem to be able to handle Phil, and even if he ain't the best fighter in the world, you can at least say he was bigger and supposedly stronger than Rashad.

Suga showed some muscle though.

If Rashad beats Jones than that will indeed shake up the LHW division again. I don't see Evans winning though. If Machida couldn't than Evans sure as shit isn't. Ill give Hendo a punchers chance in the 1st with one of those H Bombs if it lands though.

WrikaWrek

Banned
If Rashad beats Jones than that will indeed shake up the LHW division again. I don't see Evans winning though. If Machida couldn't than Evans sure as shit isn't. Ill give Hendo a punchers chance in the 1st with one of those H Bombs if it lands though.

Problem with the division is that fighters who can give Jones trouble aren't big enough. It's very hard to find someone with Jones ability to use his natural advantage.

Obviously when he loses we will all know where to point the finger at, but right now I don't see anybody winning unless they crack up this smart plan that throws Jones off, though he ain't stupid, even if some of us would like to believe so. He's a beast.

Balehead

I don't see Rashad beating Jones, didn't before and now especially with that performance against Davis. I was expecting him to more or less do the same to him as he did to Tito, but that could be just me underestimating Davis. Let's hope it was just Suga Rashad hiding all that game against Phil. :/

Hendo is probably going to get picked apart for the first couple of rounds before Jones wraps him up. Sure Henderson has a chance to land something big in the early rounds but that's unlikely to happen, Jones is far too smart.

yacobod

Banned
if we're talking hypothetical 205# match-ups, i think Hendo would absolutely stanky leg Rashad, if he were to somehow beat JBJ and get the title.

yacobod

Banned
Shogun Rua said:
I would like to tell that I no longer work with Eduardo Alonso,we still friends,as usually.

well maybe Shogun can finally get to a real camp and start addressing some of his weaknesses.

Well the biggest part of the problem is that the unified rules are so nebulous and the way judges score fights seems to vary from event to event. How are they judging significant strikes, octagon control, aggression, submission attempts, grappling, takedowns, etc.

How many controversial decisions are needed in high profile fights before someone takes a long hard look at judging, the unified rules, and the whole thing?

some main event type fights in the last 2 years with questionable or close decisions that seemed to divide the community (this is just quickly off the top of my head w/out a lot of research to survey the events):

Shogun/Machida 1
Machida/Rampage
Penn/Edgar 1
Diaz/Condit
Penn/Fitch
Kampmann/Sanchez

and in other news Greg Jackson is now leaning towards cornering JBJ versus Rashad Evans. Story here.
And how about Garcia vs Nam Phan

The common thread with all these controversial decisions seems to be the presence of Cecil Peoples.

I think mma should use Matt Hume's judging guidelines basing the fights with a focus on damage and not counting much for lnp, useless takedowns, fence grinding, or pitter patter punching.

Heel

Shogun/Machida 1
Machida/Rampage
Penn/Edgar 1
Diaz/Condit
Penn/Fitch
Kampmann/Sanchez

I think the majority of controversial decisions are due to poor judging, not the rules.

The problem is these judges and referees seem to have immunity with the athletic commissions. Guys like Keith Kizer go out of their way to defend the blatant mistakes being made. There doesn't seem to be any real repercussions for robbing fighters or even putting fighters' health in danger.

Heel

its like the chicken or the egg.

I don't think it's too much to ask to have judges that can watch a fight and actually agree with the vast majority of the people watching. I'm talking about plain as day robberies, not judgement calls.

I guess the athletic commissions are fine with the status quo when you have Cecil Peoples judging UFC main events in 2012. I guess he's moved away from his "leg kicks don't finish fights" bullshit, though? Haha.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
They're going to put Diaz up against against some scrub and then set up the GSP fight. Dan Hardy style. It pays to talk.

God GSP wants to kill him. Motivated GSP is so fucking scary.

I'm watch UFC Ultimate Insider.

Jon Bones is a man. I'm never rooting against him again. He has my upmost resepect.

TheNatural

My Member!
The Underground: Condit accepts rematch with Diaz

@ArielHelwani - @theug is reporting the Diaz-Condit rematch is on, however, Condit's manager @malkikawa says: "Far from true. We haven't accepted nything"

The fact that they're even attempting to set this up disgusts me.

Mfsxw.jpg

Fuck this fucking shit. Dana and the UFC is going into pure WWE mode now. Why not just script the next fucking fight so they get who they want to fight? Why even bother having fights like this is they're not willing to accept the clear winner?

This is donkey shit.

Heel

The rumor mill continues to churn. Believe what you want to believe.

@FrontRowBrian said:
--From industry sources: Malki Kawa and Cesar Gracie are both posturing. UFC has already approached both camps for a rematch this summer.....

--Bottom line, Malki Kawa/Carlos Condit want the rematch. Nick/Cesar want the rematch. Carlos just signed a new contract and has 4 fight left....

--Carlos Condit's contract is relatively fair at 55 and 55. However, UFC will need to pay Condit MORE than Diaz to make rematch happen.....

--Condit needs a base of at least $200,000 + PPV points which is what Nick's deal calls for. Tough 4 Malki because he just agreed to new deal.....

--However, it really doesn't matter. UFC needs Condit/Diaz II to happen. They will tear up Condit's new contract and pay him like a champ.....

--So basically forget the noise... the rematch is happening this summer. No specific date in mind yet but Dana hears the fans. He'll deliver.....

--One more thing to add... UFC nor Condit is interested in Ellenberger getting next shot. Diego Sanchez not even on the radar. It's CC/Nick 2.

--Malki and Cesar are essentially working together. UFC wants the fight badly. Cesar is saying Nick will be out a year. Malki says he doesn't want the rematch. What's that do? Ups the price.

I wanna know who these "fans" are that want to see that fight again. More like Diaz fans who wish he won. What a joke.

Top Bottom