• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
This is embarrassing from the UFC. Dana is doing this because of money. He isn't having a Bisping/Sonnen rematch because he knows he'll make more money with Sonnen over Bisping.

Dana and some MMA fans show they don't understand the rules. They whine about backing away and how Condit didn't fight but Condit was the one actually fighting in the match.

dream

The decision wasn't close. It was a unanimous decision. If you think message board retards thought it was close, that's great. Just like I said, these are the same types of people who still think Fedor really has never been stopped and complained about those losses too. The complains that Diaz won aren't any better than those.

And if you're talking about willing to pay, I just gave you 5 fights that are just as deserving that people are willing to pay for if you want to manufacture them.

Sure, but they can't pretend those are legit matches. They can with Condit/Nick 2, so they are.

And like I said, there's already a precedent with Pedro/Randy 2. Randy won a unanimous decision in the first fight too.

So why even have the fight? since it's blatantly clear that they want Diaz to fight GSP and that's all GSP wants, and that's what Diaz fans want, why even have a rankings system? We can just have Diaz vs. GSP and Condit can just get ignored for the vanilla personality he is.

While we're at it, lets sign Kimbo vs. Overeem for the title belt. Jones vs. Tito for the LHW belt, and we can get Anderson vs. Royce Gracie in Brazil.

Why even bother with pretenses anymore? You wanna go all out with nonsensical undeserving fights, lets do it. I can't wait until Sakuraba replaces Benderson on the Japan card, and lets see if we can get Minowaman on the card to face Brock Lesnar. Lets get crazy then, I'll send a resume to the UFC booking team at once!

thumbsupobama.gif

TheNatural

My Member!
Sure, but they can't pretend those are legit matches. They can with Condit/Nick 2, so they are.

And like I said, there's already a precedent with Pedro/Randy 2. Randy won a unanimous decision in the first fight too.

There's already a precedent from way back in the dark ages of MMA in 2001 ... repeat - two thousand fucking one - and you're using this as justification? Really?

I'm not going to complain anymore, because at least Condit wanted the fight. He's not forced to do it, he wants to do it, I don't think Diaz should get a fight but at least Carlos has the balls to do it so I give him props for it.

I really liked the fight but I don't want a rematch, at least not until they've both fought a few other people. Wouldn't mind seeing it maybe 2-3 years from now.

dream

I'm using it as an example because Randy fans were completely convinced Randy deserved the decision and Pedro fans were equally convinced Pedro was robbed.

The difference is there was far less money in doing the rematch back then.

Nick/Condit 2 is going to be a big money fight because both fanbases are mad. And that's really all that matters to Dana because he's a pro wrestling promoter to the core.

Heel

Yeah, my gripe is with the UFC for setting up this bullshit rematch, not for Condit accepting it and getting paid.

The most optimistic spin you can put on this is UFC is completely out of touch on what actual fans of the sport want to see. I'm heavily leaning towards it being "we want Diaz vs. GSP by any means necessary" though.

TheNatural

My Member!
I'm using it as an example because Randy fans were completely convinced Randy deserved the decision and Pedro fans were equally convinced Pedro was robbed.

The difference is there was far less money in doing the rematch back then.

Nick/Condit 2 is going to be a big money fight because both fanbases are mad. And that's really all that matters to Dana because he's a pro wrestling promoter to the core.

It was also in 2001, the dark ages, things have changed, and this is the most manufactured rematch in forever. It actually got me to sign up for Twitter even though I don't know what the hell I'm doing and Tweet Dana.

dream

Yeah, my gripe is with the UFC for setting up this bullshit rematch, not for Condit accepting it and getting paid.

The most optimistic spin you can put on this is UFC is completely out of touch on what actual fans of the sport want to see. I'm heavily leaning towards it being "we want Diaz vs. GSP by any means necessary" though.

At a time when the UFC is pulling in so many lapsed WWE fans and are making a huge network push on Fox, what really constitutes an actual MMA fan now?

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Oh yeah I forgot to post this earlier:

BE said:
So for his camp, the idea of fighting Diaz again is not that appealing right now. Or at least that's what Condit's manager, Malki Kawa, told MMA Fighting:

"At this point, [a rematch] is not something we're looking to do," he said. "We're looking for Georges. People forget, Carlos waited a long time to get this fight. He was moved around, and shuffled around between fights. He won the fight. It doesn't interest us at all. I think clearly and decisively, he won the fight. Even [UFC president] Dana [White] scored it for him. All of the opinions that matter scored Carlos as winner."

They have told other sites that they're willing to wait until roughly November to fight GSP, any longer than that and Condit will need another fight to keep busy. At that point a rematch could be talked about.

Source.

So yeah they were officially on record of not wanting to fight until November. I see two problems here:
1) They were willing to hold the division on ice for 9 months
2) But the rematch came through anyway and a lot of people are pissed.

This whole situation is shitty overall.

Dysun

If your so outraged dont buy the fight. GSP wasn't gonna be ready til the end of the year anyway. The Condit supporters are up in arms about how he won easily, so let him do it again.

It's not a fight I particularly care to see again however

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
If your so outraged dont buy the fight. GSP wasn't gonna be ready til the end of the year anyway. The Condit supporters are up in arms about how he won easily, so let him do it again.

Condit has supporters now?

He is going to win again and it will be a useless fight. What if he wins but blows his knee? Who does GSP get?

Yeah that's pretty much how I look at it. Shitty situation for Condit but he's not getting screwed. You can't just have both the champion and the interim champion go almost the whole year without fighting. And yeah, you could argue that Diaz didn't deserve the shot but the division isn't exactly bursting with legit contenders beyond Condit/Diaz. Hendricks is a fight i'd like to see but Carlos is just as likely to lose to him as he is to Diaz.

thirty

Banned
condit fights the winner of the diego/jake fight and nick fights the loser of the diego/jake fight.

problem fucking solved.

while we're at it, get koscheck to retire bj penn.

dream

And Condit is probably going to get paid. If he gets a cut of the PPV, I guarantee he'd rather fight Nick again than Horror Story or Johnny Hendricks.

iqubal

Banned
I can understand why the UFC did the rematch. GSP is out for a almost the whole year and Carlos would want to fight again. Since this one was really close and ended in controversy, it would make complete sense to have diaz and condit fight again. My respect for Condit went up 200% for doing yet again, what the UFC is asking him to do.

TheNatural

My Member!
Yeah that's pretty much how I look at it. Shitty situation for Condit but he's not getting screwed. You can't just have both the champion and the interim champion go almost the whole year without fighting. And yeah, you could argue that Diaz didn't deserve the shot but the division isn't exactly bursting with legit contenders beyond Condit/Diaz. Hendricks is a fight i'd like to see but Carlos is just as likely to lose to him as he is to Diaz.

The question is more, why does Diaz get to dictate a rematch out of this? He didn't win, he lost. He's no different than any other contender losing a fight, why does he get to dictate a rematch? That's basically the point. The only reason the rematch is happening is because the UFC wants to see him fight GSP.

If Condit is fine with the fight, then it's his decision to take it and whatever payday he gets. I would like to know why Diaz gets to dictate getting this rematch in the first place though, and no one else has ever been able to do that without a legit reason.

Heel

Hey guys, if Nick wins does Condit get a rematch? Or I dunno maybe, just maybe, Nick would fight GSP instead.

I'm done talking about this bullshit. I don't give a fuck about Condit I care about the sport. UFC is jumping the shark with this one.

They'd probably feed Ellenberger or Hendricks to GSP until Condit came back, it'd be the Rashad situation all over again but at 170.

Nope, Diaz would get the shot. I'm calling it right now. Condit wins straight up in an amazing fashion and gets hurt during camp training for GOD and Diaz gets the shot. WATCH IT HAPPEN

agrajag

Banned
Some thoughts:

Condit has balls of steel, no matter what idiots on the internet say.

This rematch is fucking shameless. It's bullshit that Condit was pressured into doing this. I bet Dana/Lorenzo made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Dana/Lorenzo are now turning UFC into a circus where they say one thing yesterday and the complete opposite today. Doublespeak anyone?

parasight

This is so fucking stupid. I don't even like Condit, but I feel bad for him. It's ridiculous they're basically forcing this unnecessary rematch to happen.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Do you guys think this could be the main-event for UFC on FOX 3? Here's why I think so:

-Nate Diaz vs Jim Miller ain't cutting it.
-This is technically a title fight which casuals will tune into. There's also controversy they can market to the casuals.
-They'll have a lot of eyeballs they can sell GSP vs the winner of this fight ppv to.
-It's 3 months away. Perfect for the controversy to still be fresh and neither got a long medical suspension (Condit got 1 month, Nick nothing). It gives them easily 2 months to train for it.
-If me having so much trouble finding a bar that aired it on Saturday is any indication, the buyrate for this ppv is not going to be pretty. Even with the controversy would it be worth having them main another ppv that might not crack a high number?

TheNatural

My Member!
Do you guys think this could be the main-event for UFC on FOX 3? Here's why I think so:

-Nate Diaz vs Jim Miller ain't cutting it.
-This is technically a title fight which casuals will tune into. There's also controversy they can market to the casuals.
-They'll have a lot of eyeballs they can sell GSP vs the winner of this fight ppv to.
-It's 3 months away. Perfect for the controversy to still be fresh and neither got a long medical suspension (Condit got 1 month, Nick nothing). It gives them easily 2 months to train for it.
-If me having so much trouble finding a bar that aired it on Saturday is any indication, the buyrate for this ppv is not going to be pretty. Even with the controversy would it be worth having them main another ppv that might not crack a high number?

I would be less annoyed if it were the main event. At least like the manufactured Ortiz vs. Shamrock III fight, they could make it free.

Heel

I don't think the UFC wants Nick on national television, especially since the rematch might turn out to be the same style as the first one.

I almost want to see Nick win a decision just to laugh when they skip the rubber match and go directly to Nick vs. GSP. No point in showing shame now.

Zeliard

Not sure what Condit is really thinking, outside of a chance for a big payday, I guess. He otherwise pretty much has nothing to win and everything to lose.

If Condit wins the rematch with Diaz it will likely be by using the same strategy as in the first fight, which will still get him the same amount of hate and lack of recognition from some people. Outside of a finish or a one-sided beatdown, which is very rare against Nick Diaz, Condit probably has no way of gaining new fans with the second fight. Dunno if he can grab some moral victory from a win there if he's still being (unfortunately) criticized in the same fashion as now.

And if he loses, then Diaz gets the GSP shot and Condit is back to fighting for contendership status instead of fighting for the title. So from a practical standpoint it's also dumb.

Not sure what Condit is really thinking, outside of a chance for a big payday, I guess. He otherwise pretty much has nothing to win and everything to lose.

If Condit wins the rematch with Diaz it will likely be by using the same strategy as in the first fight, which will still get him the same amount of hate and lack of recognition from some people. Outside of a finish or a one-sided beatdown, which is very rare against Nick Diaz, Condit probably has no way of gaining new fans with the second fight. Dunno if he can grab some moral victory from a win there if he's still being (unfortunately) criticized in the same fashion as now.

And if he loses, then Diaz gets the GSP shot and Condit is back to fighting for contendership status instead of fighting for the title. So from a practical standpoint it's also dumb.

Maybe Condit lost a lot of fans and is trying to win them back with the rematch?

I was a fan of him before the fight with Diaz (still am but lost my respect). Alot of his fights were amazing and his fighting style was entertaining and fun to watch. I was really disapointed with him when he decided to change his fighting style just to counter Diaz's fighting style and win by points. He fought like he was a different fighter, completly opposite of the Conduit i respected.

Andeson Silva remains Anderson Silva no matter the opponant and dosent change his fighting still to counter the other fighter. That's why I love him so much. A true champoin,

Maybe just maybe he fought a guy that is ridiculously hard to finish. I mean those head kicks he hit Diaz with would have knocked out most people.

agrajag

Banned
Maybe just maybe he fought a guy that is ridiculously hard to finish. I mean those head kicks he hit Diaz with would have knocked out most people.

This times a million. Condit repeatedly hit Diaz with way harder shots than the other way around, yet people insist that he tried to win by points just because Nick kept walking forward. You don't score points with spinning backfists/elbows, those are meant to hurt people.

Balehead

Total bullshit that the UFC is making a rematch because the fans didn't get the result they wanted. There's no chance this would have happened if they swapped the guys around.

"Bu- bu- but he promised me a dogfight!"

And the way the fight was built by the UFC made it a lose-lose for Condit anyways. Had he knocked that whiner out it would have been a fluke.

agrajag

Banned
Total bullshit that the UFC is making a rematch because the fans didn't get the result they wanted. There's no chance this would have happened if they swapped the guys around.

"Bu- bu- but he promised me a dogfight!"
And the way the fight was built by the UFC made it a lose-lose for Condit anyways. Had he knocked that whiner out it would have been a fluke.

Haha! Remember this?

BJ Penn said:
@nickdiaz209 Look how much bigger you are in this pic..I thought you were gonna scrap from the beginning homie? What was that coward fence holding strategy to tire out the smaller man? Street fighter my ass! I made you fight like glass jaw @jonfitchdotnet poser! I'll be ready for that weak bs next time we fight!

Cesar Gracie said:
BJ Penn has apparently not come to terms with the beating he received at the hands of Nick Diaz. At some point it is up to those around you to protect you from yourself. To take you aside and let you know you are wrong and help save you from your folly. Unfortunately for Penn he is surrounded by 'Yes Men' that are unwilling to do that. The outcome will be predictable, resulting in a fighter that will never push himself to the fullest and will always have excuses for his losses.

Mmmm, the ironing is delicious.

I don't mind the rematch. Condit will get paid. I do worry about the influence on the judges though. Chances are that the fight will be similar to the first one. Will the backlash make it that they will favor Diaz in the rematch if it goes the full 5 rounds again? I know judges suck anyway blah blah but still.

SteveWD40

People need to realise how hard Diaz would be to finish, even for Condit. Diaz got KO'd twice by Daley and woke up fighting both times in seconds. Condit KO'd Hardy and DHK, both guys were known to be durable as hell.

This is a shit decision and I feel bad for Condit, it's clear that he has been pressured by Dana.

Top Bottom