• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Thoughts on who Cung Le should fight next, should he decide to fight? Maybe Matt Hughes for a comeback fight since it would be headline worthy and Hughes could meet him at 185 or at a catchweight.

In other news, Thiago Silva is pitted against Igor Pokrajac and Donald Cerrone has Yves Edwards next on his list.

TheNatural

My Member!
The rumor mill continues to churn. Believe what you want to believe.

I wanna know who these "fans" are that want to see that fight again. More like Diaz fans who wish he won. What a joke.

Yup more manufactured fucking bullshit. I hope for the next fight Condit packs brass knucks loaded gloves and busts his fucking jaw in half. This shit makes me the most sick i've ever been with UFC. If Diaz got the decision the fucking crybaby would have sit on his ass until GSP was ready and the UFC would be perfectly content with it.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I don't really think anyone wants to see a Diaz/Condit rematch since the first fight was boring. Dana hoping for something to change in Diaz's style in that time between the rematch?

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Spent, sweaty, sore and just took off my kneepads.

Wat.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
The Underground: Condit accepts rematch with Diaz

@ArielHelwani - @theug is reporting the Diaz-Condit rematch is on, however, Condit's manager @malkikawa says: "Far from true. We haven't accepted nything"

The fact that they're even attempting to set this up disgusts me.

Mfsxw.jpg

Rematches till the one Dana want's to win wins

Doi

dream

I love you guys but yall are such marks for Nick's gimmick that you can't even objectively look at the fight and accept that it really was a close decision and that Dana and the 209 aren't the only people who think there should be a rematch just to settle all doubts.

I watched the fight twice now and I still think it's a 48-48 draw.

TheNatural

My Member!
I love you guys but yall are such marks for Nick's gimmick that you can't even objectively look at the fight and accept that it really was a close decision and that Dana and the 209 aren't the only people who think there should be a rematch just to settle all doubts.

I watched the fight twice now and I still think it's a 48-48 draw.

This from a Diaz fan. Condit won, Condit won clearly, Condit won all the fight stats - there IS no doubts. Shut the fuck up about objectivity. You support a douchebag that is ready to retire if he doesn't get his way, that says it all. The fucker cried like a pussy after he didn't win and you're patting him on the back for it.

Heel

@MalkiKawa - Well, the powers to be just called. @CarlosCondit and myself will be in vegas and hope to have an announcement on fri... :)

I CANNOT FUCKING BELIEVE THIS HORSESHIT. WHAT THE FUCK?

iquTp6kNrEwZW.gif

TheNatural

My Member!
@MalkiKawa - Well, the powers to be just called. @CarlosCondit and myself will be in vegas and hope to have an announcement on fri... :)

I CANNOT FUCKING BELIEVE THIS HORSESHIT. WHAT THE FUCK?

iquTp6kNrEwZW.gif

So what will be the excuse when Condit wins again? Diaz had something in his eye, so there should be a third fight?

dream

This from a Diaz fan. Condit won, Condit won clearly, Condit won all the fight stats - there IS no doubts. Shut the fuck up about objectivity. You support a douchebag that is ready to retire if he doesn't get his way, that says it all. The fucker cried like a pussy after he didn't win and you're patting him on the back for it.

See? You're so angry about this. No objectivity whatsoever.

Heel

This is the most transparent business move I've ever seen them book. Actually this is the only time. Is this a sport or not? IT WAS A UNANIMOUS DECISION.

Please tell me they're trolling.

dream

Pedro lost a unanimous decision to Randy too and got an immediate rematch because the fight was closer than the record books can indicate.

TheNatural

My Member!
See? You're so angry about this. No objectivity whatsoever.

And you're a Diaz fan, what's your point? You're obviously not objective because anyone with a brain saw Condit won.

I'm pissed because it's a manufactured rematch when you know damn well that if the SAME EXACT RESULT happened for Diaz there would be NO rematch. You think the UFC would have given Condit a rematch with Diaz had Diaz won this decision? Fuck no. Because they want a bigger money fight and have GSP face Diaz. If they want that, then let GSP just drop the fucking belt like he said he would and make it a #1 contender fight, or just do a title tourney.

This is boxing or WWE territory now. All the high horse shit from Dana about fair contenders and real belts goes out the windows. This may as well be the IBF Welterweight belt now, because it's a manufactured fight.

TheNatural

My Member!
Obviously not everyone with a brain thought Condit won if there's enough debate to spur a rematch.

Some MMA fans have no brain, that much is obvious. Let me ask, what is the last boxing fight you've watched? Just wondering since you consider what Diaz did was enough to warrant a draw. It wasn't boxing, but this is the typical style of boxing fight you'll see a guy win a decision on practically ALL the time - with Comp-stats backing the decision up all the way just like this.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Obviously not everyone with a brain thought Condit won if there's enough debate to spur a rematch.

I wouldn't say that actually. I thought Condit won pretty clearly but it was by no means a blowout. I think a lot of the debate just escalated with Diaz fans saying it was the Greatest Robbery in MMA history, and then People with Brains saying really? And I'm sure there was some hyperbole thrown in from both sides along the way.

That said, if it did happen it starts to beg the question of how much of a free pass for rematches and matchups does a fighter get? If you fight someone like Diaz, Sonnen, or Bisping, do you basically just have to annihilate them to get credit for the win? But if they get a decision on you hey no big deal that's the fight game -- can't leave it up to the judges.

That's when it starts to feel like a bit of a farce. But w/e. I do want Condit to fight again before GSP (which I know Nick wasn't going to do, so good thing he lost).

dream

Some MMA fans have no brain, that much is obvious. Let me ask, what is the last boxing fight you've watched? Just wondering since you consider what Diaz did was enough to warrant a draw. It wasn't boxing, but this is the typical style of boxing fight you'll see a guy win a decision on practically ALL the time - with Comp-stats backing the decision up all the way just like this.

I didn't even know boxing still existed.

Look, I don't want to see a rematch either because the first fight sucked and I think it's stylistically impossible for any Nick Diaz vs Carlos Condit fight to be anything but what we saw last week. I just think when people are arguing this much about who really won the fight, it's not ridiculous to put on a rematch of a very close fight.

As for the title thing, who cares? There's no ranking system and we've seen people like Chad Mendes and Dan Hardy get title shots. It's a popularity contest.

And I had 2 and 5 going to Nick, 3 and 4 to Condit, and round 1 as a draw.

I do want Condit to fight again before GSP (which I know Nick wasn't going to do, so good thing he lost).

The problem is, who does he fight? Martin Kampmann? Johny Hendricks? Who would pay money to watch that?

Heel

I guess you're entitled to your opinion dream, but this is like...plainly disgusting to me, and the first time I felt the need to get up in arms about anything the UFC does. This is absolute bullshit booking.

I already said I wanted Nick to win to see Nick vs. GSP. He did not win. That's how the story should end in the UFC. This isn't wrestling. Have some respect for the ladder.

If Nick is worthy he'll be knocking at the door for the title the way everyone else does. By, you know, earning it.

TheNatural

My Member!
I didn't even know boxing still existed.

Look, I don't want to see a rematch either because the first fight sucked and I think it's stylistically impossible for any Nick Diaz vs Carlos Condit fight to be anything but what we saw last week. I just think when people are arguing this much about who really won the fight, it's not ridiculous to put on a rematch of a very close fight.

As for the title thing, who cares? There's no ranking system and we've seen people like Chad Mendes and Dan Hardy get title shots. It's a popularity contest.

And I had 2 and 5 going to Nick, 3 and 4 to Condit, and round 1 as a draw.

I care, because this is supposed to be an OBJECTIVE sport right? Like you said, objectivity?

Can you tell me with a straight face if the judges would have given this fight to Diaz, which would have been a REAL robbery - that Condit would have been given even a sniff at a rematch? Hell no. Diaz would kept the belt until GSP was ready and Dana wouldn't have said a damn thing about a rematch, even though it would have been a lot more justified and people would have been a lot more upset.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Except none of those guys spazzed out the week before the fight and got that fight canceled. The favoritism being shown towards Nick if this pans out is a whole new level. First he screws Condit out of his GSP title shot. Then he fucks it up like Nick always does. Then as "punishment" he gets given a fight against Fat BJ Penn (too bad Matt Hughes wasn't around). Then he loses a UD in which he's outstruck by a ton, and maybe he still gets a rematch?

dream

I care, because this is supposed to be an OBJECTIVE sport right? Like you said, objectivity?

Can you tell me with a straight face if the judges would have given this fight to Diaz, which would have been a REAL robbery - that Condit would have been given even a sniff at a rematch? Hell no. Diaz would kept the belt until GSP was ready and Dana wouldn't have said a damn thing about a rematch, even though it would have been a lot more justified and people would have been a lot more upset.

Yes.

Dana is a lot of things but he's always been receptive to what the fans want. If enough people bitched about Nick getting the nod in the very same fight, why would he not put on a rematch?

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
If you guys are so pissed then send Dana tweets. Maybe you can pull a Franklin-Hendo where the UFC was going to rematch but people said no vocally and they shelved the idea.

I'm so over the UFC welterweight division. When the choices are rematch a crappy fight or hold the division on ice for 9 months cause one champion is injured and the other championd doesn't want to lose his shot there are bigger fundamental problems than "teh greedy UFC".

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
If you guys are so pissed then send Dana tweets. Maybe you can pull a Franklin-Hendo where the UFC was going to rematch but people said no vocally and they shelved the idea.

I'm so over the UFC welterweight division. When the choices are rematch or hold the division on ice for 9 months cause one champion is injured and the other doesn't want to lose his shot there are bigger fundamental problems than "teh greedy UFC".

I think Condit or his management did say he'd be up for fighting again though. I don't even think it should be a question. Rashad should have mooted that issue a long time ago.

TheNatural

My Member!
And as for the decision, Diaz did all of two things this entire fight where he wasn't dominated. He had a flurry of strikes in the second round that could barely qualify as being half hearted where he "Stockton slapped" Condit about 10 times in the body. Condit controlled the rest of the round, but Diaz "outstuck" him on CompuStrike. So if you want to gift Diaz that round for that pussy ass flurry, then fine. There's one for him.

First round, there's no debate. Condit outstruck him on the stats, he won the round. Diaz didn't do shit he wanted to, the fight was fought on Condits terms like all the other rounds were.

Round 5, Diaz got a takedown, that he did NOTHING with - and the amount of time he had him on the ground still didn't overcome the amount of time Condit dominated him on the feet, where he also outstuck him.

I could make a better case for Condit winning all 5 rounds than someone saying Diaz earned even a draw. Condit outstruck him 4 of the 5 rounds, dominated the center of the Octagon where he made the fight happen on his terms and where it happened most of the fight, and Diaz had all of two "significant" offensive moves all fight.

If anyone thinks a weak ass takedown where you did nothing with it overcomes being dominated the rest of the round in striking, or a weak ass slap flurry overcomes being dominated the rest of the round, you need to find a new sport, I'm sorry.

TheNatural

My Member!
Yes.

Dana is a lot of things but he's always been receptive to what the fans want. If enough people bitched about Nick getting the nod in the very same fight, why would he not put on a rematch?

You're so full of shit. Diaz would have kept the belt because it's the money fight for the UFC, and even Dana said after the fight he thought it was crazy to have a rematch after Condit won. There's 0% chance Condit would get a rematch and it's ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

dream

I think the disconnect here is some of us are still thinking of the UFC as a pure sport. They just book main events people want to see and it's really just a happy coincidence if the contenders somehow legitimately earned their title shot. That could change if they ever implement a ranking system but I don't think they have any desire to do that. I'm not sure if they should, either.

You're so full of shit. Diaz would have kept the belt because it's the money fight for the UFC, and even Dana said after the fight he thought it was crazy to have a rematch after Condit won. There's 0% chance Condit would get a rematch and it's ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

He thought it was crazy until people started arguing about the decision on every single MMA forum. Now he gets another $60 a pop from all the angry Condit fans who think he's being forced into a rematch against someone he rightfully beat.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I think Condit or his management did say he'd be up for fighting again though.
I read they were willing to wait GSP out until November. Who the hell knows what to believe though, I'm sure there's a conflicting report somewhere saying otherwise. There's no transparency or accountability in this sport on any level.

Heel

I don't even think yacobud would say this is on the up-and-up. I seriously hope this just isn't true.

I'm sure someone will try to interpret my anger as "you just don't like Nick and don't want GSP to lose" or something. I honestly don't care. I just want the sport to be treated as legitimate and have fighters earn their opportunities.

This isn't anything like Chael getting fast-tracked to a rematch, which we had a similar conversation about. Not even close.

TheNatural

My Member!
I think the disconnect here is some of us are still thinking of the UFC as a pure sport. They just book main events people want to see and it's really just a happy coincidence if the contenders somehow legitimately earned their title shot. That could change if they ever implement a ranking system but I don't think they have any desire to do that. I'm not sure if they should, either.

I don't think it's a disconnect, I think it's the fact this is maybe the most manufactured rematch in history. The only thing that can compare is maybe Ortiz vs. Shamrock III when Ken bitched about an early stoppage yet again when he was getting his ass kicked. Then of course, after the fight all the bad blood went away when he told him "we made a lot of money."

That sums it up though, it's about making money, and Diaz and GSP would make more money than Condit and GSP and that's the reason and ONLY reason this rematch is even being entertained.

I just tweeted Dana with

@danawhite Condit won. Don't screw him out of the title shot. After he loses to GSP let Diaz step up and lose to GSP too.

As much as I hate Nick, I don't necessarily have a problem with this. If GSP were healthy, it'd be one thing. But if he's really 9 or more months out from fighting, Condit should defend his interim belt in the mean time. Otherwise, what do you do? An interim-interim title? Now the question becomes "Who should he face?". This is where you could argue that maybe someone else should get a shot over Diaz, but lets say GSP were out of the picture, and Diaz/Condit was for the REAL title, would you guys oppose Diaz getting a rematch?

TheNatural

My Member!

He thought it was crazy until people started arguing about the decision on every single MMA forum. Now he gets another $60 a pop from all the angry Condit fans who think he's being forced into a rematch against someone he rightfully beat.

Yeah MMA forums are a great source of controversy. First off, those Sherdog douchebaggers and the like complain about EVERY decision, and for some reason Diaz has a bunch of idiotic followers who apparently like headcase weed smoking crybabies. That's the ONLY controversy there is. It's no different than Fedor fans bitching he wasn't really out against Dan Henderson or Bigfoot Silva and the fight should have kept going. You have to go looking for the controversy to find it, that's the point.

Heel

That sums it up though, it's about making money, and Diaz and GSP would make more money than Condit and GSP and that's the reason and ONLY reason this rematch is even being entertained.

Nah man, the "fans" want it!

Funny how the UFC didn't clamor to put together the controversial Rampage vs. Machida II. You know, because it was horseshit?

EYEL1NER

@danawhite Dana White
@justScrap85 @carloscondit @malkikawa the rumor is true. Carlos did accept the fight today and Carlos is coming on Friday not thur.

@danawhite Dana White
@justScrap85 @carloscondit @ufc @malkikawa people should stay off twitter when they are not informed.

WTF......
Unbelievable

I just tweeted Dana with

@danawhite Condit won. Don't screw him out of the title shot. After he loses to GSP let Diaz step up and lose to GSP too.
That was the reason I was on Dana's twitter, to post something similar to that. And then I see that nonsense I posted above...
smh

dream

Yeah MMA forums are a great source of controversy. First off, those Sherdog douchebaggers and the like complain about EVERY decision, and for some reason Diaz has a bunch of idiotic followers who apparently like headcase weed smoking crybabies. That's the ONLY controversy there is. It's no different than Fedor fans bitching he wasn't really out against Dan Henderson or Bigfoot Silva and the fight should have kept going. You have to go looking for the controversy to find it, that's the point.

No argument here - MMA fans are scum.

But that's the UFC's fanbase. Who else should they cater to?

TheNatural

My Member!
As much as I hate Nick, I don't necessarily have a problem with this. If GSP were healthy, it'd be one thing. But if he's really 9 or more months out from fighting, Condit should defend his interim belt in the mean time. Otherwise, what do you do? An interim-interim title? Now the question becomes "Who should he face?". This is where you could argue that maybe someone else should get a shot over Diaz, but lets say GSP were out of the picture, and Diaz/Condit was for the REAL title, would you guys oppose Diaz getting a rematch?

Yes because he lost, clearly. If he wants another shot then win two fights against Koscheck and Ellenberger/Hendricks to get back to where he was.

Heel

He should fight someone who has actually climbed the ladder. Hendricks, Ellenberger, Koscheck, Sanchez...?

Yes because he lost, clearly. If he wants another shot then win two fights against Koscheck and Ellenberger/Hendricks to get back to where he was.

But I'm saying, who would you give to shot at Condit to instead? It wouldn't be the first time we see someone get an immediate rematch. Remember, this is all under the assumption that GSP is a long ways out. You can't have your INTERIM champion now go 9 months without defending the title, that's the reason he's the interim champion to begin with, because the original champion was going too long without defending his title. If GSP is healthy or will be healthy enough to fight in 3-4 months, than yes this is bullshit. Personally, I wouldn't mind Condit/Hendricks over Condit/Diaz II, but this has been done before (Shogun/Machida, Penn/Edgar)

TheNatural

My Member!
No argument here - MMA fans are scum.

But that's the UFC's fanbase. Who else should they cater to?

So why even have the fight? since it's blatantly clear that they want Diaz to fight GSP and that's all GSP wants, and that's what Diaz fans want, why even have a rankings system? We can just have Diaz vs. GSP and Condit can just get ignored for the vanilla personality he is.

While we're at it, lets sign Kimbo vs. Overeem for the title belt. Jones vs. Tito for the LHW belt, and we can get Anderson vs. Royce Gracie in Brazil.

Why even bother with pretenses anymore? You wanna go all out with nonsensical undeserving fights, lets do it. I can't wait until Sakuraba replaces Benderson on the Japan card, and lets see if we can get Minowaman on the card to face Brock Lesnar. Lets get crazy then, I'll send a resume to the UFC booking team at once!

dream

So why even have the fight? since it's blatantly clear that they want Diaz to fight GSP and that's all GSP wants, and that's what Diaz fans want, why even have a rankings system? We can just have Diaz vs. GSP and Condit can just get ignored for the vanilla personality he is.

While we're at it, lets sign Kimbo vs. Overeem for the title belt. Jones vs. Tito for the LHW belt, and we can get Anderson vs. Royce Gracie in Brazil.

Why even bother with pretenses anymore? You wanna go all out with nonsensical undeserving fights, lets do it. I can't wait until Sakuraba replaces Benderson on the Japan card, and lets see if we can get Minowaman on the card to face Brock Lesnar. Lets get crazy then, I'll send a resume to the UFC booking team at once!

And that's the crux of the problem. There are enough people who think Nick deserves a rematch because the decision was that close. It's not like Dana's just pulling some shit out of his ass. It's not like Nick got destroyed in the fight. It was a close fight and people are willing to pay for a rematch.

TheNatural

My Member!
But I'm saying, who would you give to shot at Condit to instead? It wouldn't be the first time we see someone get an immediate rematch. Remember, this is all under the assumption that GSP is a long ways out. You can't have your INTERIM champion now go 9 months without defending the title, that's the reason he's the interim champion to begin with, because the original champion was going too long without defending his title. If GSP is healthy or will be healthy enough to fight in 3-4 months, than yes this is bullshit. Personally, I wouldn't mind Condit/Hendricks over Condit/Diaz II, but this has been done before (Shogun/Machida, Penn/Edgar)

The other ones happened for good reason. Shogun got fucked the first fight, plainly fucked not manufactured. Penn held the title for several years before he lost, so he deserved a rematch on tenure - plus there was no one else in the division at all really. At least there was some rationale to past immediate rematches, now it's just all out the window. Diaz wasn't fucked, and there's other worthy contenders there in wait.

This? This is manufactured BS. Ellenberger or Hendricks deserves a shot more than Diaz, Diaz lost clean, and hell - Ellenberger lost a split decision against Condit, a closer fight than Diaz.

TheNatural

My Member!
And that's the crux of the problem. There are enough people who think Nick deserves a rematch because the decision was that close. It's not like Dana's just pulling some shit out of his ass. It's not like Nick got destroyed in the fight. It was a close fight and people are willing to pay for a rematch.

The decision wasn't close. It was a unanimous decision. If you think message board retards thought it was close, that's great. Just like I said, these are the same types of people who still think Fedor really has never been stopped and complained about those losses too. The complains that Diaz won aren't any better than those.

And if you're talking about willing to pay, I just gave you 5 fights that are just as deserving that people are willing to pay for if you want to manufacture them.

Heel

Dana's new defense is "Carlos wanted it"

Yeah, after you threw money at him to make it happen. I'm sure he thinks he could win again.

Just fuck this.

Top Bottom