• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

SteveWD40

Oh hell no, it will be ruled a "decisive victory" over a tough opponent. I wonder what measures Dana is taking to make sure Diaz gets the win this time.

Seriously, I am tired of them pandering to the lolcasuals with the Lesnars, Diaz's and so called "super-fights". Why didn't Bisping get a re-match? that was a much closer fight, why? because Dana wanted Sonnen Silva (as did we all to be fair).

I would rather see Condit, Ellenberger and Macdonald fight GSP than Diaz.

yacobod

Banned
ok i was feeling pretty sick last night so i went to bed early and missed the shit-storm.

i'll chime in with a few thoughts:

1. Who the fuck is Carlos Condit to call his own shots? If GSP is not ready to fight until November of this year, then Carlos should have to fight and defend his interim belt before now and then. Why take 7 months off waiting for GSP? A lot can happen in 7 months, and god forbid somebody gets injured again during training camp putting the division on hold even longer.

2. Since when was there a ranking system in place for the UFC? The UFC has always booked fights based on what the fans want to see and what is going to make them the most money. Honestly who's going to sell more PPVs? Condit versus Diaz II or Condit versus Johnny Hendricks/Jake Ellenberger/etc? I swear sometimes you guys are so dense. They are running a pay-per-view business here folks, they can hype up the rematch a lot better than a match with some non nondescript white wrestler.

3. Nick Diaz is a very divisive fighter. People either LOVE him or HATE him. I haven't really seen much of a middle ground in the fan base. So I think that is heavily contributing to the major revisionist history 4 or 5 days after the fight that somehow Carlos Condit dominated that fight.

4. It's not like this is the first time there has been an immediate rematch made after a closely contested title fight. We just saw it happen three or 4 times in the past 2 years. So I have to really wonder why everyone is suddenly crying wolf. Did everyone conveniently forget BJ Penn vs Frankie Edgar 2, Shogun Rua vs Lyoto Machida 2, or Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard 3? Those are 3 title fights that had immediate rematches all within the past year or 2. Once again bolstering my argument from point 3, that really this outcry is more due to the fact that people hate Nick Diaz and Cesar Gracie BJJ.

5. I think the biggest reason for the public outcry from the fans is that this fight was hyped by the underground as an early contender for Fight of the Year. And what we got was a poor man's Lyoto Machida performance or a Bisping-esque performance from a formerly exciting striker.

6. The unified rules and UFC judging sucks.

I feel like we're slipping into boxing territory. I will remember this day.

really man? This is the same sport that had a shameless Chael Sonnen with a fake championship belt at an official company press conference with the President of the company in attendance. Do you think the New England Patriots would have a fake Lombardi trophy at a press conference with Roger Godell? Do you think Tom Brady would go on the air telling everyone who will listen that they beat the NY Giants and are the people's champion.

It's like you are oblivious to what this "sport" is and always was.

Balehead

Dana should just set up a phone line so we could all text in votes for our favorite during the fight in case it went to decision. Skip the whole bullshit twitter-complaining phase.

ScOULaris

I just wanted to chime in and say that this proposed rematch is a bunch of horseshit. Forget about the fact that it was a lopsided unanimous decision, but does anyone even want to see this rematch? Honestly, what does Dana White think will be different the second time around?

I was rooting for Diaz to win, but he didn't. Now I'm ready to watch Condit vs GSP for the real title.

This is setting a bad precedent that worries me, and it's making Dana look like he's trying to force a certain outcome rather than putting fair matchmaking first.

knee

Condit fought it like a boxing match. Sure, he moved well and landed blows... but he just scored points to victory. Nothing about that fight screamed 'I DESERVE A TITLE SHOT'.

ScOULaris

So you're happy with Condit sitting around for possibly 9 months?

Either that or let some other contender take a shot at his interim belt. Right now, he's acting as champion. It would make sense for him to have to defend his title like anyone else. By the time GSP is back, he shouldn't even technically be champion anymore, given how few fights he will have had in the last two years.

A rematch should only happen if a decision is split and ridiculously close. This one was controversial because of the aggressor/runner argument, but the fact is Carlos landed harder shots much more frequently than Diaz. He won the fight and should face someone else next, even if it isn't GSP.

yacobod

Banned
This is setting a bad precedent that worries me, and it's making Dana look like he's trying to force a certain outcome rather than putting fair matchmaking first.

Immediate rematches of close decision title fights has been the modus operandi of the UFC. Refer to item 4 from my post above.

This shit happens all the time, I don't know why everyone is so incredulous to it now.

ScOULaris

Immediate rematches of close decision title fights has been the modus operandi of the UFC. Refer to item 4 from my post above.

This shit happens all the time, I don't know why everyone is so incredulous to it now.

It wasn't a close decision. According to the score cards, it was a unanimous lopsided decision.

Balehead

Do you think all of those would have happened if you swapped the 2 fighters and the decisions went the other way? And Edgar Maynard was a draw which is a different thing. Don't think anyone would give a shit if Condit lost like Diaz.

ScOULaris

Do you think all of those would have happened if you swapped the 2 fighters and the decisions went the other way? And Edgar Maynard was a draw which is a different thing.

No, I don't. If Diaz would have won, I sincerely doubt that this rematch would be happening.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Condit fought it like a boxing match. Sure, he moved well and landed blows... but he just scored points to victory. Nothing about that fight screamed 'I DESERVE A TITLE SHOT'.

Nothing about the way Diaz "fought" screamed I DESERVE ANOTHER LOSS. I don't think anyone defending the decision is actually a Condit fan. People are whining about Condit "not fighting" but Diaz did significantly less than Condit. I just don't get it. I'd be more ashamed if I were a Diaz fan since his title fight consisted of one flurry, moving forward, and an ineffective takedown.

yacobod

Banned
from UFC's business perspective.

Who would it make more sense financially for the UFC to match up with Condit in the next 7 to 9 months while GSP is rehabbing his injury? Or are you cool with him sitting around for 7 to 9 months?

I mean didn't we have a 2 page argument about champions fighting more instead of sitting around or did I imagine that debate?

i don't get why people are so upset about this fight being all about money... it's moneymaking rivalry fights like this that drive profits up, engage and increase the viewership, help others on the card and in the promotion to gain exposure and income and just in general are good for business. who is this bad for? i mean, are you all saying you'll skip the PPV this is the main event in? no? thought so.

I'm a Nick Diaz fan and wanted him to win against Condit (and thought he did) but this rematch is BS. I now pray that Condit wins this one and gets a KO or finishes it decisively somehow.

knee

Nothing about the way Diaz "fought" screamed I DESERVE ANOTHER LOSS. I don't think anyone defending the decision is actually a Condit fan. People are whining about Condit "not fighting" but Diaz did significantly less than Condit. I just don't get it. I'd be more ashamed if I were a Diaz fan since his title fight consisted of one flurry, moving forward, and an ineffective takedown.

Neither of them deserve the shot and I know they can't give it to Koscheck again, lest he reach Rich Franklin territory. I've never felt like this after a #1 contenders match until now.

Look at all of Condit's other matches vs. this one. He was playing the points game. Sure he won, but there was nothing convincing or dominant about it. He just played the judges and the points game better. It was like Machida-style, except he didn't finish or get close to finishing it. Couple that w/ GSP being on the shelf and I understand the reasoning for the proposed rematch.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Neither of them deserve the shot and I know they can't give it to Koscheck again, lest he reach Rich Franklin territory. I've never felt like this after a #1 contenders match until now.

Look at all of Condit's other matches vs. this one. He was playing the points game. Sure he won, but there was nothing convincing or dominant about it. He just played the judges and the points game better. It was like Machida-style, except he didn't finish or get close to finishing it. Couple that w/ GSP being on the shelf and I understand the reasoning for the proposed rematch.

kay..and? Winning on points is a valid strategy. Do you think he wouldn't have finished Diaz if the opportunity had presented itself (not like Diaz is tough or anything)? He won on points. HE WON. The current champ of the division has been winning the same way for a couple of years now, should we give every one of those fights a rematch (i personally would love Gsp vs Fich 2) ? The idea of condit diaz rematch doesn't bother me, what does is people trying to justify it by somehow discrediting condit's win cause it was on points. This is good info for the UFC stable, now they know all they gotta do when they lose a match is cry and 'retire' and uncle dana will be there to wipe their asses.

Heel

really man? This is the same sport that had a shameless Chael Sonnen with a fake championship belt at an official company press conference with the President of the company in attendance. Do you think the New England Patriots would have a fake Lombardi trophy at a press conference with Roger Godell? Do you think Tom Brady would go on the air telling everyone who will listen that they beat the NY Giants and are the people's champion.

It's like you are oblivious to what this "sport" is and always was.

We're not talking about Chael promoting himself, we're talking about UFC's shameless matchmaking.

How long are we going to pretend Condit vs. Diaz II is a favor to anyone but the UFC and butthurt Diaz fans? Horrible precedent. Are unbiased MMA fans honestly looking at that fight and saying "HOLY SHIT LET'S SEE THAT ONE MORE TIME!!!"?

If Diaz wins there will not be a rubber match before GSP vs. Nick. That's how transparent this bullshit is.

yacobod

Banned
We're not talking about Chael promoting himself, we're talking about UFC's shameless matchmaking.

How long are we going to pretend Condit vs. Diaz II is a favor to anyone but the UFC and butthurt Diaz fans? Horrible precedent. Are unbiased MMA fans coming out of that match up and saying "DAMN LET'S SEE THAT ONE MORE TIME!!!"? This isn't Shogun/Machida.

your position is that the UFC is some kind of "pure" sport like the NFL, MLB, Tennis, or the NBA. The UFC is a combat sport and has a lot more in common with Boxing and professional wrestling.

The UFC has always booked matches based on what the fans want to see which equates to pay-per-view buys. Why are people faking this outrage like this is the first time the UFC has done something like this.

This is about money people.

Did Randy Couture deserve his plethora of title shots? The people who have some drawing power always have the advantage in combat sports. Why do you think Dana White has done his best to bury Jon Fitch, who is one of the most successful fighters to compete in the history of the UFC? Why did it take so long for Lyoto Machida to get his first title shot?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
What fans want to see it? Yaco and Hendo and some other random UFC fighters on Twitter? Fans not wanting to see a rematch equates to less pay-per-view buys.

ScOULaris

The UFC has always booked matches based on what the fans want to see which equates to pay-per-view buys. Why are people faking this outrage like this is the first time the UFC has done something like this.

What most of us are saying is that it doesn't make sense from a financial perspective either. I really doubt that the fan interest in a rematch is very high at all.

yacobod

Banned
Why is everybody playing dumb and thinking that money isn't what drives every decision in the UFC?

I also like how everyone is playing dumb like it wasn't a close fight. I honestly could care less if Diaz gets his rematch or not. My position is that title holders should defend their belt. Sitting on the sidelines for 9 months isn't good for the sport.

Who knows GSP could have a setback in his rehab and it might even squash his return for 2012. Comebacks from ACLs are never easy, and people are acting like it's a guarantee GSP will be back ready to fight this year.

yacobod

Banned
What most of us are saying is that it doesn't make sense from a financial perspective either. I really doubt that the fan interest in a rematch is very high at all.

are they going to make more money booking fights with Johnny Hendricks or Jake Ellenberger?

And there are plenty of professional fighters, media types, and hardcore fans that thought Nick Diaz won the fight. But they are all stupid right?

Typical mma forum mentality (and obviously I'm guilty of this too):

If someone agrees with you = smart intelligent mma fan
If someone disagrees with you = stupid troll, just bleed, casual core mma fan.

agrajag

Banned
Oh hell no, it will be ruled a "decisive victory" over a tough opponent. I wonder what measures Dana is taking to make sure Diaz gets the win this time.

Seriously, I am tired of them pandering to the lolcasuals with the Lesnars, Diaz's and so called "super-fights". Why didn't Bisping get a re-match? that was a much closer fight, why? because Dana wanted Sonnen Silva (as did we all to be fair).

I would rather see Condit, Ellenberger and Macdonald fight GSP than Diaz.

+1

Does anyone for one second believe that if Diaz got the decision on saturday there would be this outrage, a rematch, Condit crying and rage-quitting?

Fuck crybaby Diaz and his crybaby fans.

knee

kay..and? Winning on points is a valid strategy. Do you think he wouldn't have finished Diaz if the opportunity had presented itself (not like Diaz is tough or anything)? He won on points. HE WON. The current champ of the division has been winning the same way for a couple of years now, should we give every one of those fights a rematch (i personally would love Gsp vs Fich 2) ? The idea of condit diaz rematch doesn't bother me, what does is people trying to justify it by somehow discrediting condit's win cause it was on points. This is good info for the UFC stable, now they know all they gotta do when they lose a match is cry and 'retire' and uncle dana will be there to wipe their asses.

Yes, he won. I'm glad we agree on the facts.

I'm not sure where you gather the idea that GSP has been winning his matches in the fashion that Condit beat Diaz though. I don't even remember if he went for a takedown, but he never tried to finish the fight. All Condit did was backpedal. Give him the win, but 'I was not impressed by his performance' and I don't think it was title shot worthy. Condit looked like less of a fighter than he's ever looked.

I don't mind the UFC taking the reins on this one. I'm reminded of Penn-Edgar I & II. Same situation, but w/o the belt involved.

yacobod

Banned
Fuck Dana White, Joe Silva, and Ferritas for wanting to make money.

Are you really that stupid that you believe people complaining about the decision is what drove this decision?

The UFC badly wants GSP/Diaz. GSP wants the Diaz fight. GSP scored the fight a draw (whether he is an unbiased judge remains in question), but give it a break. GSP versus Diaz would have been the UFC's first real opportunity at a million+ buy pay-per-view since the Brock Lesnar glory days.

It has nothing to do with whiny fans.

Take off your Nick Diaz hate sun glasses and see the truth.

agrajag

Banned
Are you really that stupid that you believe people complaining about the decision is what drove this decision?

The UFC badly wants GSP/Diaz. GSP wants the Diaz fight. GSP scored the fight a draw (whether he is an unbiased judge remains in question), but give it a break. GSP versus Diaz would have been the UFC's first real opportunity at a million+ buy pay-per-view since the Brock Lesnar glory days.

If Nick Diaz didn't pull his crybaby rage-quit and accepted his loss like a man, there would be no precedent for them to do a rematch.

Plus, Nick looked horrible in this fight. All of the luster and promise of a GSP/Diaz fight is gone.

yacobod

Banned
If Nick Diaz didn't pull his crybaby rage-quit and accepted his loss like a man, there would be no precedent for them to do a rematch.

Plus, Nick looked horrible in this fight. All of the luster and promise of a GSP/Diaz fight is gone.

Ya because Nick Diaz calls all the shots in the UFC.

This is unprecedented. There is probably more whining in this thread about the rematch than about the actual decision in the fight. All the heat and hate Nick's garnered in this thread is just proof that Nick vs Carlos II is better than any other match the UFC can make before GSP is ready to return to the cage.

ScOULaris

are they going to make more money booking fights with Johnny Hendricks or Jake Ellenberger?

And there are plenty of professional fighters, media types, and hardcore fans that thought Nick Diaz won the fight. But they are all stupid right?

Typical mma forum mentality (and obviously I'm guilty of this too):

If someone agrees with you = smart intelligent mma fan
If someone disagrees with you = stupid troll, just bleed, casual core mma fan.

Personally, I thought that the decision should have been closer, given that Diaz was clearly the aggressor. That being said, I haven't seen anyone calling for a rematch. Even those fighters and media types who thought that Diaz won haven't been calling for one.

This is unprecedented. There is probably more whining in this thread about the rematch than about the actual decision in the fight. All the heat and hate Nick's garnered in this thread is just proof that Nick vs Carlos II is better than any other match the UFC can make before GSP is ready to return to the cage.

It's more lack of interest that we're showing toward the projected rematch than hate for Diaz. A lot of us thought that Diaz had a chance of winning that decision.

Good I hope the rematch happens. I Nick won rounds 1,2,3 and 5 while Condit clearly won 4. How the judges gave Condit it UD for scoring baby kicks is pathetic. Also GSP is out till November and who else will challenge Condit for the interim title? Kos? please we don't need to see GSP put another beating on him. This fight was obviously controversial with the scoring and a lot of people are interested in the rematch.

Heel

That's the problem. This is all being done under the guise of "the fans want it" and "Carlos wanted it" when it's actually "the UFC wants it for obvious reasons".

It's the most shameless example of it ever happening in the UFC so you shouldn't be surprised by the reaction. The UFC does not have a long track record of willing fights into existence in spite of guys winning and losing. Hell I'd rather see Nick fighting GSP but the man lost unanimously. That's where the story is supposed to end, at least for the time being.

agrajag

Banned

If there weren't so many people bitching and moaning about it, UFC/Dana White/Fertitas would HAVE NO EXCUSE to make this rematch happen. This isn't a Shogun/Machida situation. Dana White has gone on record saying that he thought Condit won.

As for your second paragraph, this is a situation that actually warrants an outrage. I don't mind watching a second fight, it should be better than the first, and respect to Condit for accepting. But it's bullshit that he was pressured/moneyhatted to do this.

ScOULaris

That's the problem. This is all being done under the guise of "the fans want it" and "Carlos wanted it" when it's actually "the UFC wants it for obvious reasons".

It's the most shameless example of it ever happening in the UFC so you shouldn't be surprised by the reaction. Hell I'd rather see Nick fighting GSP but the man lost unanimously. That's where the story is supposed to end, at least for the time being.

I agree 100%. This is not about Diaz vs Condit II being the smartest decision, money-wise. This is about Diaz vs GSP being the storyline that will make them the most money in the end.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
v8nCo.gif

It is what it is. Uncle Dana and the UFC brain trust don't care about the integrity of the sport. I knew that a long time ago.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Yes, he won. I'm glad we agree on the facts.

I'm not sure where you gather the idea that GSP has been winning his matches in the fashion that Condit beat Diaz though. I don't even remember if he went for a takedown, but he never tried to finish the fight. All Condit did was backpedal. Give him the win, but 'I was not impressed by his performance' and I don't think it was title shot worthy. Condit looked like less of a fighter than he's ever looked.

I don't mind the UFC taking the reins on this one. I'm reminded of Penn-Edgar I & II. Same situation, but w/o the belt involved.

So you're saying wrestlefucking dudes for the better part of 3 years wasn't playing it safe or sticking to a gameplay to get a win? Come on. As far as the title shot goes who gives a flying fuck if condit didn't impress you or anyone else for that matter. He entered a sports contest which was for the interim championship and won. Hence he earned his shot at the title.

Heel

Bullshit call. So, if Nick wins, Carlos gets a rubber match, right.........?

A rubber match would be the only way to band aid this shameless horseshit, but you just know if Nick wins, even if it's a close decision, he'll be fighting GSP.

The integrity of the sport should be more important than one money fight. The UFC should be thinking more long term than that.

y2dvd

We all know it's "all about the money", but what a lame argument. Are you saying we can't scream foul just because it could make them more money?

We have this fighter not show to a few press conferences, blows his opportunity at a shot at the title, wins a fight that's not even title contention worthy, skips a fighter who was promised a title shot, GSP gets injured and he has to fight Conduit instead, CLEARLY loses, and still could possibly get a rematch? That's just straight BS. I'm sure we've cried foul in past rematches but this gets the most attention because of how plainly obvious this BS is.

I watched the fight mutually not favoring a side. To say Conduit won just on points and ran away is so disrespectful. Dunno what everyone was watching, but I saw Conduit throw plenty of power shots. It either missed, or it connected and Diaz just has a damn good chin. He was circling away from the fence so he's not a sitting duck to Diaz' flurry punches. MORONIC strategy right? And guess what? When he had space, he was throwing more strikes and landing more than Diaz was. It just boogles my mind on how anyone saw Diaz winning or coming close. Even having brief back control, Diaz never put Conduit in danger.

yacobod

Banned
It is what it is. Uncle Dana and the UFC brain trust don't care about the integrity of the sport. I knew that a long time ago.

and there we have it folks.

y2dvd:
You're outrage should be pointed squarely at Dana "Fucking" White, Joe Silva, and the Ferrita brothers. This has nothing to do with the Nick Diaz or his fans. Your hate is misguided.

Pretty true. I don't think Diaz deserves a rematch, but the UFC is a business that has always catered to the fans. I think Condit simply neutralized Diaz's aggressive control perfectly. I'm really interested to see what , if anything, will change in Diaz's gameplan for the rematch, and what Condit will come out with. Part of me thinks Condit will feel the pressure and will want a finish, which is really a mistake imo. I'm looking forward to seeing the rematch for sure. I just wish things could have gone down differently

Top Bottom