• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

yacobod

Banned
Why try to justify it, though? Do you agree with their mentality? I think it's trash.

No, but it is what it is. And I'm not outraged because I'm not surprising in the least. The other thing that is hilarious is that the hate should be focused at Dana, but the people have such a hard on for Nick.

Ya, it is not surprising, but as fans we should voice our disappointment in this match making.

I will feel better about this if it is a free fight on Fox.

And tbh I'm interested in seeing how they adjust their strategies the second time around. Would be much more interesting to see them fight a couple years from now though. But whatever. I'll still watch it regardless.

dream

Why try to justify it, though? Do you agree with their mentality? I think it's trash.

Serious question: how is this a surprise? When has Zuffa ever done anything that wasn't motivated by making money?

We can talk about merit all day long but this is a company that gave title shots to Randy and Brock because they were big draws. This is a company where Bones Jones earned his title shot by beating the illustrious Darth Bader and is set to defend his belt against someone who just won a decision over the world beater Phil Davis.

Heel

Serious question: how is this a surprise? When has Zuffa ever done anything that wasn't motivated by making money?

Not surprising, just the most heinous example yet. The UFC should be worried about the integrity of the sport in the long term, not one money fight. They shouldn't be the in the business of willing fights into existence in spite of a fighter's losses.

dream

Not surprising, just the most heinous example yet. The UFC should be worried about the integrity of the sport in the long term, not one money fight. They shouldn't be the in the business of willing fights into existence in spite of their losses.

I think you're looking for something that doesn't exist, though. There's no criteria for determining who gets a title shot.

Plus, I don't think it's that outrageous to consider that this is a rematch that should happen. It's fine if you think Carlos completely dismantled Nick -- look how pissed TheNatural is -- but there are a lot of people who think it was a close, if not questionable, decision. And not all of them are Nick Diaz marks.

agrajag

Banned
I think you're looking for something that doesn't exist, though. There's no criteria for determining who gets a title shot.

Plus, I don't think it's that outrageous to consider that this is a rematch that should happen. It's fine if you think Carlos completely dismantled Nick -- look how pissed TheNatural is -- but there are a lot of people who think it was a close, if not questionable, decision. And not all of them are Nick Diaz marks.

Every close fight should get a rematch then.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Not surprising, just the most heinous example yet. The UFC should be worried about the integrity of the sport in the long term, not one money fight. They shouldn't be the in the business of willing fights into existence in spite of a fighter's losses.

I don't know about that. If Chael didn't get busted and suspended, he would have gotten an immediate rematch and he got fucking finished in his fight. Regardless of how well he did for 23 minutes, he tapped out. End of story.

My main problem with this situation is that 170 isn't lacking for contenders. Jake Ellenberger absolutely DESERVES the next title shot (assuming he beats Diego) and that shouldn't be up for discussion. The fact that Condit was apparently going to turn down a fight with Ellenberger is bullshit to me.

dream

Every close fight should get a rematch then.

As my good friend yacobod astutely noted, close fights that mean something often do get immediate rematches:

4. It's not like this is the first time there has been an immediate rematch made after a closely contested title fight. We just saw it happen three or 4 times in the past 2 years. So I have to really wonder why everyone is suddenly crying wolf. Did everyone conveniently forget BJ Penn vs Frankie Edgar 2, Shogun Rua vs Lyoto Machida 2, or Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard 3? Those are 3 title fights that had immediate rematches all within the past year or 2. Once again bolstering my argument from point 3, that really this outcry is more due to the fact that people hate Nick Diaz and Cesar Gracie BJJ.

yacobod

Banned
The fact that Condit was apparently going to turn down a fight with Ellenberger is bullshit to me.

exactly. why hold up the division for 7-9 months, when gsp may not even be ready to go this year. carlos condit doesn't have the drawing power to be able to pick and choose when he fights like anderson and gsp.

dem

Anyone who has a problem with a rematch is a fanboy goofball.

Georges ain't gonna be fighting till November. Plenty of time to fight for the fake belt again.

I had Condit winning.
A lot of other people didn't
Whats wrong with another fight?

dem

Ellenberger strings a couple shitty wins together and he NEEDS a title shot?

What the fuck is the rush

Get a grip people.

This is like when everyone was whining that Machida didn't get a title shot cause he had a win over fucking Sokoudjou and Tito.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Ellenberger strings a couple shitty wins together and he NEEDS a title shot?

What the fuck is the rush

Get a grip people.

This is like when everyone was whining that Machida didn't get a title shot cause he had a win over fucking Sokoudjou and Tito.

He has a better win streak going than anyone else at welterweight. Typically that warrants a title shot.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Machida beat Shogun with a UD, and like someone already mentioned people wanted Sonnen Anderson II, even though he got finished.

ShogunX

People hate Nick Diaz.

Rightly so. He may be a very talented fighter and appear ''badass'' to people who enjoy the taunting and childish side to his character but in reality he's just been beaten by a basic stick and move game plan.

Had he shown a little bit of class and respect after the fight instead of being close to tears and announcing his retirement then people might have a bit more time for him.

dem

He has a better win streak going than anyone else at welterweight. Typically that warrants a title shot.

Who the fuck cares?

You scared we might lose out on one of those classic title fights like GSP/Hardy or Silva/Leites?

yacobod

Banned
The point is that the outrage by Diaz fanboys is the only precedent Dana had for making this rematch.

If you actually believe that sir, you are a moron.

Dana White, Lorenzo Ferrita, Joe Silva, and GSP all want the Diaz fight because it's the first chance at a million ppv buy in 2 or 3 years. Not because some people on the internet are crying.

agrajag

Banned
If you actually believe that sir, you are a moron.

No you are the moron, because you don't understand the difference between motive and precedent. Everyone knows UFC wanted their GSP/Diaz fight, you don't have to point to the sky and tell everyone it's blue, captain obvious.

tass0

Banned

We can talk about merit all day long but this is a company that gave title shots to Randy and Brock because they were big draws. This is a company where Bones Jones earned his title shot by beating the illustrious Darth Bader and is set to defend his belt against someone who just won a decision over the world beater Phil Davis.

To be fair, JJ only got the title shot because news just came out that Rashad Evans had to pull out of the title fight right before JJ was set to fight Bader.

Also, I agree that Diaz/Condit need to rematch for numerous reasons:

1) Many people thought Diaz won the fight, it's not unusual for title fights w/ close decisions to have rematches (Shogun/Machida, BJ/Edgar, Edgar/Maynard).
2) Condit's reputation has been severely damaged by his performance
3) GSP is out until November

Diaz/Condit had such a disappointing outcome, the second the fight ended I was hoping for a rematch.

yacobod

Banned
No you are the moron, because you don't understand the difference between motive and precedent. Everyone knows UFC wanted their GSP/Diaz fight, you don't have to point to the sky and tell everyone it's blue, captain obvious.

No, that may be the excuse the UFC is using to make the rematch, but it's not the real reason. It's money plain and simple.

yacobod

Banned
1) Many people thought Diaz won the fight, it's not unusual for title fights w/ close decisions to have rematches (Shogun/Machida, BJ/Edgar, Edgar/Maynard).

people don't care about the facts. they hate nick diaz.

or they've convinced themselves that this is a real sport with rankings and governing bodies. why else would the UFC go out of their way to bury guys like Jon Fitch, but push guys like Randy or Brock for title shots.

Heel

I'm done arguing with people playing devil's advocate on behalf of the UFC's bottom line and justifying their behavior with other examples. I don't care that it's Nick Diaz, and would've rather have seen Nick vs. GSP in the first place. You've gotta draw the line somewhere.

Condit vs. Diaz II gee I can hardly wait. What a fan-friendly rematch they've given us. Thank you, Uncle Dana.

yacobod

Banned
I'm done arguing with people playing devil's advocate on behalf of the UFC's bottom line and justifying their behavior with other examples. I don't care that it's Nick Diaz, and would've rather have seen Nick vs. GSP in the first place. You've gotta draw the line somewhere.

Condit vs. Diaz II gee I can hardly wait. What a fan-friendly rematch they've given us. Thank you, Uncle Dana.

Sien, it may be time you change your user name to Face. I don't think you're very good at playing the Heel.

Because then the match-making is simply a popularity contest and the sport has no legitimacy.

Do you think it was fair for Brock Lesnar to fight for the title in his 3rd career bout?
Do you think Randy Couture deserved his million title shots?
Why was Jon Fitch buried for so long?
Why are guys like Tito Ortiz still headling or on main UFC cards?
Why was Kimbo Slice even on TUF and given a ppv fight?

Heel

Sien, it may be time you change your user name to Face. I don't think you're very good at playing the Heel.

How do you know I'm not planning a swerve?

Believe me I have my own demon in my head, people has no idea how dark I am in my head sometime.

agrajag

Banned

Do you think it was fair for Brock Lesnar to fight for the title in his 3rd career bout? No
Do you think Randy Couture deserved his million title shots? No
Why was Jon Fitch buried for so long? Politics
Why are guys like Tito Ortiz still headling or on main UFC cards? $
Why was Kimbo Slice even on TUF and given a ppv fight? $

If your point is that UFC is a joke, then you're once again stating the obvious.

knee

So you're saying wrestlefucking dudes for the better part of 3 years wasn't playing it safe or sticking to a gameplay to get a win? Come on. As far as the title shot goes who gives a flying fuck if condit didn't impress you or anyone else for that matter. He entered a sports contest which was for the interim championship and won. Hence he earned his shot at the title.

Go listen to Usher and let it burn.

The UFC isn't a democracy. Don't like it? Don't watch! But... guess what... you're going to watch. Guaranteed. I'd bet my dick on it.

agrajag

Banned
you know in your heart of hearts why this fight is being made, but you haven't accepted it yet. give it time. you know i'm right.

Those aren't the same situations. They can't simply overturn/ignore the result of a fight to make money, they need some kind of excuse to do such a thing. I bet Dana gave Nick a nice locker room bonus for his post-fight performance!

Rur0ni

Will watch. Hopefully Diaz comes in with an adjusted gameplan not to get circled and outpointed. And the fight ends in a finish, for whoever.

dream

When it comes down to it, the UFC is a pro wrestling company that books unscripted fights using pro wrestling philosophies. I thought we had all accepted this?

yacobod

Banned
i know my good friend dream once used this image to great effect:

genki.jpg

don't let Uncle Dana and his pro wrestling booking tear us apart.

MjFrancis

The UFC is going to do what makes them the most money, and Condit/Diaz II will do that.

The judge's scorecard's weren't close, but it's all about the money. No other fighter with a 1-1 record since their return to good MMA (7-4 overall good MMA record) would get a shot, but it's going to happen whether we like it or not.

I'm wondering, given just how much Diaz was picked apart, why Uncle Dana is willing to risk losing Diaz as a credible fighter when he loses a second time. Actually, it's a win-win - he loses to Condit a second time and gets another shot at GSP no matter what. If Condit beats GSP a Diaz/GSP fight is much more palatable for the public. If Condit loses, you give crybaby Diaz one last shot at GSP anyways and if he loses Dana gets to get rid of a pain-in-the-ass employee or if he wins he gets to keep his PPV draw. The latter situation is a big risk, though, because if people think this decision for a rematch is bullshit, wait until a fighter with a 1-2 record since his return to the Good MMA gets his third title shot in a row.

So even if Diaz loses a second time and Dana doesn't get the Diaz-GSP Championship immediately the fight is going to happen for the UFC.

Like I said, win-win for Uncle Dana.

Heel

In other news, The Korean Zombie done goofed big time.

@KoreanZombieMMA - Dustin Poirier? 6 seconds!

@DustinPoirier - @KoreanZombieMMA Trust me you don't want this... I will expose you.

Top Bottom