• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

dream

I wonder how agrajag feels about alistair Overeem being next in line for a title shot with a 1-0 record. Especially with that one win being over a shot pro wrestler who coming off of a first round tko loss.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
is the diaz/condit rematch worse than the edgar/penn one? cause both are pretty shitty attempts to have dana's fighter win when they clearly lost the first fight :(

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The UFC is going to do what makes them the most money, and Condit/Diaz II will do that.

The judge's scorecard's weren't close, but it's all about the money. No other fighter with a 1-1 record since their return to good MMA (7-4 overall good MMA record) would get a shot, but it's going to happen whether we like it or not.

I'm wondering, given just how much Diaz was picked apart, why Uncle Dana is willing to risk losing Diaz as a credible fighter when he loses a second time. Actually, it's a win-win - he loses to Condit a second time and gets another shot at GSP no matter what. If Condit beats GSP a Diaz/GSP fight is much more palatable for the public. If Condit loses, you give crybaby Diaz one last shot at GSP anyways and if he loses Dana gets to get rid of a pain-in-the-ass employee or if he wins he gets to keep his PPV draw. The latter situation is a big risk, though, because if people think this decision for a rematch is bullshit, wait until a fighter with a 1-2 record since his return to the Good MMA gets his third title shot in a row.

So even if Diaz loses a second time and Dana doesn't get the Diaz-GSP Championship immediately the fight is going to happen for the UFC.

Like I said, win-win for Uncle Dana.
Hasn't GSP/Diaz lost a bit of luster? K-1 Diaz got exposed and he clearly has nothing for Georges.

dem

Hasn't GSP/Diaz lost a bit of luster? K-1 Diaz got exposed and he clearly has nothing for Georges.

Newsflash
No one at WW has anything for Georges. Only thing is.. Diaz can make the build up interesting.

Lambs to the slaughter.
Who cares about the order?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Newsflash
No one at WW has anything for Georges. Only thing is.. Diaz can make the build up interesting.

Lambs to the slaughter.
Who cares about the order?
I'm referring to the idea that GSP/Diaz can do 1 million buys. If anyone was deluded enough to think Diaz had a chance in that fight, they shouldn't be any longer.

dream

The problems with that is there is already a precedent for this. And the UFC doesn't want to be legitimate - at least not by your definition.

I guess I just think there are more pressing fundamental problems than putting on a rematch of a fight that ended in a close decision. Like better drug testing. Or better ref training. Or not using boxing judges. Nick/condit 2 is really nothing compared to that shit because its self-correcting. If condit really is that much better than nick, he'll win again and that will be that.

is the diaz/condit rematch worse than the edgar/penn one? cause both are pretty shitty attempts to have dana's fighter win when they clearly lost the first fight :(

Exactly, things don't go as "planned" and Dana freaks out and tries to get his outcome by any means necessary.

MjFrancis

It's lost a lot of it's luster, especially since I believe a GSP/Diaz fight would have ended up exactly like Condit/Diaz I. It will sell anyways. It may be a sham but it will have been a sham that was two years in the making by the time it happens if Condit can win out against crybaby Diaz a second time.

Basically, what Dem said. Diaz can make some interesting promos but GSP has to fight somebody. He fought Dan Hardy so a 1-2 Diaz is hardly a stretch.

agrajag

Banned
I wonder how agrajag feels about alistair Overeem being next in line for a title shot with a 1-0 record. Especially with that one win being over a shot pro wrestler who coming off of a first round tko loss.

Overeem was supposed to get a shot with a 0-0 record, according to your logic. He took the Lesnar fight for shits and giggles.

yacobod

Banned
More like ITT: MMA fans speak out against the sport's biggest organization setting precedents that work against the legitimization of the sport.

Does Dana White want the sport to be legitimate in the sense that you are referring to?

I wonder what all these people would have thought about the Pride era. Heavy focus on yearly tournaments. Random non-title fights. Squash matches. Dubious yakuza involvement.

If they think the UFC was bad, they would have had a heart attack during that era.

dream

Overeem was supposed to get a shot with a 0-0 record, according to your logic. He took the Lesnar fight for shits and giggles.

And if you think about it as a 1-0 (or, worse, 0-0) fighter getting a shot at the only heavyweight title that matters, it's complete bullshit.
He hasn't earned it.

But we don't think about it like that. We think about him being alistair Overeem and we think about him being a kick boxer and we think about how stylistically awesome Overeem and JDS could be.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Exactly, things don't go as "planned" and Dana freaks out and tries to get his outcome by any means necessary.

was there this much outrage over the edgar/penn 1 rematch? if so, i dont remember it.

for the record, i think its pretty lame. dana and the ufc clearly want to make diaz/gsp happen. yes, it will make more money, but diaz should have to earn his shot. condit should have to fight again, but it should be the next in line (ie, not diaz).

its not the first time its happened, and condit i'm sure has negotiated far more money, but as a fan its not a fight i'm dying to see nor is it even remotely justified - again, just like edgar/penn 2.

agrajag

Banned
And if you think about it as a 1-0 (or, worse, 0-0) fighter getting a shot at the only heavyweight title that matters, it's complete bullshit.
He hasn't earned it.

But we don't think about it like that. We think about him being alistair Overeem and we think about him being a kick boxer and we think about how stylistically awesome Overeem and JDS could be.

Not sure what your criteria is, but to me wins/losses in other organizations are relevant.

MjFrancis

I think a rush/Diaz fight is still marketable because both of them hate what each other stands for.
I would watch it even if it was a post-surgery GSP that doesn't live up to expectations and we get a 1-2 Diaz and a GSP that lost his only fight in two years.

I still think that's a best case scenario since such a GSP/Diaz matchup would be more palatable without the prospect of a 1-2 fighter getting his third title shot in a row.

yacobod

Banned
The only fighter who would have been deserving of an instant title shot from a different organization was Fedor prior to his recent losing streak.

Sexiyama should get a title shot after losing to Shields.

He hasn't earned it.
Andy got a title shot after beating Leben.

MjFrancis

We're all trolling if we don't admit Bad MMA™ records don't count for something in the UFC. Hell, it was why Diaz was slated to go straight for GSP's belt in the first place, folks. Or do we forget so quickly?

Do you think it was fair for Brock Lesnar to fight for the title in his 3rd career bout?
Do you think Randy Couture deserved his million title shots?
Why was Jon Fitch buried for so long?
Why are guys like Tito Ortiz still headling or on main UFC cards?
Why was Kimbo Slice even on TUF and given a ppv fight?

Maybe I can answer some of these

Do you think it was fair for Brock Lesnar to fight for the title in his 3rd career bout? Who else at the time would have been a better option? Arlovski? lol

Do you think Randy Couture deserved his million title shots? Same as above. The HW division at the time was a joke like the champion he beat

Why was Jon Fitch buried for so long? This one I cant help with. Maybe people just don't care about him

Why are guys like Tito Ortiz still headling or on main UFC cards?Legend and has earned that right. Hes not the main headliner anyways

Why was Kimbo Slice even on TUF and given a ppv fight?Why couldn't he join TUF? he was probably better than most of the fighters in that season and gave Mitrone, who is 5-1 the toughest challenge yet

Bottom line Diaz vs Condit 2 makes sense and should absolutely happen.

MjFrancis

If crybaby Diaz failed the drug test then he can fight GSP in one year after Condit gets his shot. No big deal. Or not, if he has indeed taken his ball and went home in retirement from his only marketable skill.

Heel

Brookhouse at BE is hinting hard that this rematch talk is moot because Diaz might have failed the drug test...

tv3NA.jpg

WrikaWrek

Banned
Don't get why some people are upset, there isn't anyone else you would like to see fighting, who's available right now...and honestly? It's a chance for Condit to show if he really is the better fighter or if Nick Diaz and his brother Nate "You're winning the fight" diaz were simply stupid in the first fight.

Ellenberger hasn't beaten any names except Shields. Diego has looked shitty since Penn. Winner of that should have fought Diaz; I don't think winner would have deserved a title shot. The only person I think legitimately "deserves" a shot would be Hendricks. Maybe Kos.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Carlos Condit vs. Nick Diaz II already a no-go, says Cesar Gracie

They're getting a rematch handed to them on a silver platter. Are you going to take your gift or not? LOL

Huh, obviously they are negotiating the amount of paper. Nothing is signed, so, obviously nothing will be confirmed.

You know, UFC ain't some gentleman's sport, this is a throw back to the gladiator era, with the rules of today.

So if a rematch was on the cards when Silva effectively subbed Sonnen, which means the fight ended itself, then why does it seem so surprising that this rematch is a possibility? The difference is that Anderson is goat, and he can turn down a fight after he ended it.

Only good things can come out of this one, because the champ can't fight, and Condit is a nobody. So if Condit wins he becomes somebody, if Diaz wins then that's cool because he gets to fight GSP and we all get to see that happen. If condit loses then he's no champ, and if Diaz loses then hey, dude can go cry home about it while we all laugh.

Drama, if there's no drama, it's just two monkeys in a ring.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Ellenberger hasn't beaten any names except Shields. Diego has looked shitty since Penn. Winner of that should have fought Diaz; I don't think winner would have deserved a title shot. The only person I think legitimately "deserves" a shot would be Hendricks. Maybe Kos.
How is Hendricks' win streak more impressive than Jake?

Please no. Kos just got the beating of his life 2 fights ago for the title and Hendricks landed a lucky punch. No contenders at all for GSP but Condit or Diaz.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
For what it's worth, I think both Hendricks and Ellenberger would beat Diaz. Nick is only a contender because GSP wants to beat his ass.

He really wants to kill the guy. Like I said before the last fight he was motivated in was BJ 2.
I know Georges wanted to expose Diaz but it's too late for that now. He's disrespecting Condit and the Welterweight title big time.

Heel

Huh, obviously they are negotiating the amount of paper. Nothing is signed, so, obviously nothing will be confirmed.

The same guy that broke the story of the rematch says the following:

@FrontRowBrian said:
*BREAKING NEWS* Carlos Condit vs. Nick Diaz II will NOT happen. An issue arose from Nick's camp last night. Nick will NOT be able to compete

I will not go into nature of why N. Diaz can't compete in a rematch against Condit. Condit will be in Vegas Friday to complete GSP deal

To be very clear- Malki Kawa and Cesar Gracie both wanted this fight before issue arose. They were working the fans to push Dana's hand

It will be released publicly. Not hurt...

Malki Kawa's reply to Cesar saying the fight is a no-go is "Wtf?"

yacobod

Banned
How the reactions will change in less than 24 hours on here. Popcorn is right.

BJPenn.com said:
UPDATE 12:10 p.m. PT | I was informed just moments after posting this story from sources very close to the situation that this fight is not dead in the water afterall. Reports in the on-line media will circulate that the fight is off, but this is likely posturing from the Diaz camp to garner better terms. My source is solid, but for now we are still left in the dark. Stay tuned as we develop this story further.
-Pedro

Top Bottom