• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

TheNatural

My Member!
And on the whole douchebag theme, SpikeTV is keeping up their magnificent 2012 confusion campaign:

In its latest counter-programming move, Spike TV will air a Diego Sanchez fight marathon opposite next week's UFC on FUEL TV 1 event.

Sanchez headlines the Feb. 15 event, which airs live on FUEL TV, in a welterweight bout with fast-rising contender Jake Ellenberger.

During the event time, Spike TV airs a five-hour "UFC Unleashed: Diego Sanchez" marathon featuring the fighter's past UFC bouts.

The special airs from 7 p.m. to midnight ET (4 to 9 p.m. PT) on Spike TV. Sanchez, who competed on the original season of "The Ultimate Fighter," was featured prominently in many Spike TV-televised UFC Fight Night and The Ultimate Fighter Finale events. However, due to the UFC's new multi-year broadcast deal with FOX, events that previously aired on Spike TV are now slated for FX and FUEL TV.

Spike TV owns the UFC's library rights through the end of this year, and officials said counter-programming will be the norm throughout the year. "TUF," for example, moves to FX with live Friday-night tournament fights this season, but Spike TV will counter-program with highlights from the past 14 seasons of the long-running reality series.

The Feb. 15 "UFC Unleashed: Diego Sanchez" special includes:
7 p.m. ET (4 p.m. PT): The Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale featuring Sanchez vs. Clay Guida
10 p.m. ET: Guillard vs. Paulo Thiago
11 p.m. ET: Guillard vs. David Bielkhaden

TheNatural

My Member!
"Counter-programming the UFC? Where did you learn this stuff from?"

"I learned it from you, Uncle Dana! I learned it by watching you!"

I always question the ratings legitimacy when I see that anyone watched Spike TV while a live card was going on, but at least it makes some sense with how few people have FuelTV and could watch just because they're casual and don't have FuelTV.

I'm just throwing this question out there (not to defend Nick or anything):

Does anyone honestly care if a fighter, basketball player, or anyone else for that matter smokes weed? It's not a performance enhancing drug, so I'm not really sure what the outrage is on that topic. Especially in a sport where probably 3 out of 4 guys are on steroids or growth hormone. We're gonna worry about weed? US should legalize it in my opinion but that's another topic all together.

Fuck no. And I agree 100%. Not sure how anyone can make something God grows on Earth illegal to use. I could see making alcohol illegal, but not weed. And I'm not even a smoker. I'm just against retarded laws.

Zeliard

I see people continuously bringing up fights like Machida/Shogun I & II but the difference is the Condit/Diaz fight isn't largely being hated for the decision, but for Condit's style. Some definitely think Diaz won, though it seems hard to make an argument for him beyond "he walked forward," but most seem to be incensed not so much with the result, but with Condit's strategy. They seem to basically think Diaz should have won almost de facto given how they feel Condit fought.

With Shogun and Machida, most people outright thought that Shogun simply won that fight and was flatly robbed. It was immediately and hugely controversial, and there weren't many people either defending Machida or complaining about the rematch. There was a general agreement that a rematch there had to happen. Even the numbers heavily supported Shogun, showing him outstriking Machida 2:1.

Had Diaz won, would they be considering a rematch with Condit? Very doubtful. And if Diaz wins the rematch there's likely no rubber match. He just gets the GSP title shot and the first fight becomes irrelevant.

I personally like Nick Diaz, and I've defended him in the past. But I think he lost the fight pretty clearly. It's pretty unfortunate to see the hate that someone like Condit is getting, with people even going as far as to call him a point fighter. I mean Carlos Condit, a point fighter. Just craziness.

Also, people keep bringing up "Octagon control" in Nick's favor. I normally hate the "Octagon control" concept since it's so nebulous, but really, when did Nick Diaz ever seem in control in any sense? I'll tell you when - in the 5th round when he had Condit's back. When else could you possibly say that Nick had any control? It was the exact opposite. Condit had control of almost that entire fight in terms of dictating the pace and where the action would take place, and he repeated it throughout the fight. Condit basically made Nick do exactly what he wanted - Nick would try to press Condit against the cage and Condit would just circle back around to the center, every single time. Condit was the one controlling that fight.

Either way, remains to be seen now if the fight even happens, heh. :p Seems like a pretty strange situation right now.

People are idiots. I would much rather watch a fighter utilize superior footwork, a variety of strikes, and good movement than a fighter who uses only linear attacks and barrages of punches to take out his opponents. I actually enjoy Diaz fights and think he is one of the best fighters in his class, but he was thoroughly outmatched against Condit and embarassed in what I felt was entertaining.

I tend to favour the more aggressive fighter if there is no clear difference in striking effectiveness. The guy pushing the action should be rewarded. But Condit wasn't constantly retreating. He was attacking and then retreating, attacking then retreating, or counterattacking and then retreating. In other words, he wasn't being passive. Shuffling forward like a 75-year-old mall walker and hoping your opponent doesn't evade you is way less interestnig to watch...

Luixfern

... But Condit wasn't constantly retreating. He was attacking and then retreating, attacking then retreating, or counterattacking and then retreating. In other words, he wasn't being passive. Shuffling forward like a 75-year-old mall walker and hoping your opponent doesn't evade you is way less interestnig to watch...

The problem is that his attack consisted of jump in, baby kick, jump out, jump in, baby kick, jump out, jump in, baby kick, jump out, with an occasional jab or cross and 2 high kicks. None of which phased Diaz, but he sure did score points though.

and before people get their panties in a bunch, lemme repeat, I think Condit won.

EYEL1NER

I might watch that Diego marathon, even though I don't really care for him. He is a good fighter though and has been in some wars, so it should be good.

I don't have Fuel though. That is the main reason I guess. When I found out fights were going to be on Fuel, I got pumped, because I thought I had it. I mean, shit...I have like, thousands of channels...Fuel should be one of 'em, right?
Nope.

I've gone back and forth. The night of the fight at a bar, I thought Condit won. Sucked since I had money on Diaz. Watched it more closely the next day and I'd say Diaz got the 1, 2 and 5th. What the F is up with these judges?? They are so happy to give wrestlers full blown rounds off one takedown? But they don't give Diaz the 5th off his multiple submission attempts? Bad judging. I'm not mad condit won, I like him. Just really annoyed he switched up his style and sort of fought a safe fight. It worked, thats fine. Diaz just needs to take guys down and submit their asses.

People like to say Diaz is crazy and a illiterate thug. He is probably the realest and smartest guy in MMA right now. Just doesnt know how to articulate himself because of I'm sure anxiety issues. Sucks he will have to be the sacrificial lamb for MMA and UFC to start seeing changes. I just hope I get to see some more epic fights from him.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
He should. It would be like Jordan when he retired with that fadeaway jumper... (except he came back to the wizards and fucked it up.)

He didn't retire. He was running in fear of Sam Cassell and his Rockets. Its no coincidence that the pansy ass came back like the exact second the Rockets traded Sam for some fat guy from Phoenix.

EYEL1NER

I have this feeling that Anderson is going to destroy in Brazil and retire.
I have that feeling as well and (I never thought I would say this), I cannot wait to see it.
I have never liked A. Silva and have rooted against him in every fight. But after hearing the dumb fucking shit that comes out of Sonnen's mouth and seeing the dumb shit he does, I can't wait to see him get put in his place by The Spider.

I was rooting for Chael in their first fight, up until he fucked it up. And I don't doubt he has been training (or at least I hope he has been, after letting Bisping show him up). This is going to make for a great fight, because Silva is going to take this one pretty seriously. I cannot wait for it and I hope that I either have a job by then or that my buddy isn't deployed so he can buy the fight.

JimiNutz

Banned
Anderson Silva is going to destroy Sonnen in Brazil, then retire.
Bisping will get his rematch against Sonnen and take the Middleweight belt.
Nice easy route for Bisping to the title lol.

Can anyone please explain to me how Condit's reputation dropped but Diaz's hasn't after that fight?

people saw diaz fighting and condit playing the scorecard. i mean, it's all about money right, so is it in your best interest to win if people decide they don't want to see you fight anymore because they don't like your style? ... or maybe it IS in your best interest if you do it often enough, then people will pay just hoping to see you lose... maybe Condit is the one taking pro wrasslin' lessons... heel 101.

TheChits

I'd be happy if Chael or Anderson won, as I like both fighters, but Sonnen winning in Brazil would just lead to an absolute meltdown.

WrikaWrek

Banned
people saw diaz fighting and condit playing the scorecard. i mean, it's all about money right, so is it in your best interest to win if people decide they don't want to see you fight anymore because they don't like your style? ... or maybe it IS in your best interest if you do it often enough, then people will pay just hoping to see you lose... maybe Condit is the one taking pro wrasslin' lessons... heel 101.

Burning hot truth.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

I felt like i knew kung fu after reading this

y2dvd

Realized I've been typing "Conduit" instead of "Condit" lol. Anyways, is "running" really Condit's style? How many of his fights have gone the distance? To me, he adapted his style for the Diaz fight, and I say it's far from running. It shows he's an intelligent fighter who isn't one dimensional. It's the principle of mma if you ask me.

I hope Chael puts up a good fight again. He didn't look too hot against Bisping, though credit to Bisping for not making it easy.

Rur0ni

From memory, Bisping looked a lot stronger, and solid. And he has great TDD and good defense off his back, and Sonnen works on the ground so... Basically stood up the entire time against the fence working for takedowns... Bisping made it tough.

SteveWD40

My thoughts as well, this would be hilarious. Maybe even a controversial decision and THEN see the rioting.

I just want Silva to lose.

I don't see Silva defending the takedown much, Sonnen seems to be super durable as well so unless Silva drops him and manages to finish before he recovers I imagine it will go much the way of the first fight only quicker.

My bet would be Silva sets up the sub before round 3 is out.

MjFrancis

updated the OP with Sherdog's latest top 10 p4p list and updated the event schedule up through UFC 145 in april.

1. Anderson Silva
2. Georges St. Pierre
3. Jon Jones
4. Frankie Edgar
5. Jose Aldo
6. Dan Henderson
7. Dominick Cruz
8. Gilbert Melendez
9. Carlos Condit
10. Rashad Evans
I would pretty much agree with this for the most part, for whatever the P4P lists are worth. They're fun to debate at the very least. I don't quite know where to put Gilbert Melendez. He's obviously dominant in Strikeforce, but how strong is that competition, really? Strikeforce isn't quite as low as Dream, which churns out some pretty mediocre fighters when they finally get exposed in the UFC. The UFC LW division is absolutely stacked with top-tier fighters so putting a man on that list who has failed to combat these other fighters who have had their weaknesses and strengths exposed to the world doesn't quite sit well with me.

Also, given the events of the past few months, I can't decide which is the funnier "Best Fighters in the UFC" entry in the OP at the moment, Crybaby Diaz or BJ Penn.

Though I'll give you this, the Women's MMA entry has been more prophetic and accurate than most could have ever imagined given Cyborg's hari-kari.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
@arielhelwani said:
E-mail from Keith Kizer of NSAC: "Thank you for the many email and phone calls. I am still waiting for all the steroid and drug test results to come back. We did have at least one positive test. I will send out an email later today on that matter." That e-mail was regarding UFC 143. That's all that was written. Stay tuned.

Hmmmm...

Biff

Top 5 P4P said:
1. Anderson Silva
2. Georges St. Pierre
3. Jon Jones
4. Frankie Edgar
5. Jose Aldo

I'd switch 4 and 5 but other than that solid top 5.

Beyond 5 is debatable to the point of being useless.

MjFrancis

Actually I said I'd leave out GSP before since he's essentially not an active fighter at this point. That will be more true once he hasn't fought in a year in a couple months (and he won't be expected to fight anytime soon after that milestone, either). You have to fight to be a P4P fighter, right?

Balehead

Who ever sent Ariel info about that "one positive" clearly missed a chance to milk this even further. Should have just said that they have some news, then say it's one positive, then the substance, then the fight in question and then finally the fighter.

TheNatural

My Member!
@themmashowThe MMA Show

BREAKING: Keith Kizer of NSAC confirmed to @themmashow w/ @mauroranallo there was one positive drug test from #UFC143. Couldn't say who.

The HVW division has become obsolete anyway, Reem has taken over.

I think its currently the most underrated division along with MW. Once the Strikeforce fighters come it will become full blown stacked. I hope Sergei signs with the UFC too.

The MW division is weird. Its the middle standing division with a roster that can either fight at 170 or 205. You can easily take that division away and half of those fighters can fight at WW or LHW.

TheNatural

My Member!
JoshGrossESPN Josh Gross
I asked Cesar Gracie yesterday re: rumor about an issue w/ Nick Diaz's drug test. His answer: "I have been told not to comment on anything."

LOL. All but confirmed. A release should be coming up in the next few hours.

Top Bottom