• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

itDKnNSs39kih.gif

That's probably how me and Yaco's first meeting will go down in real life.

Yeah i was gonna share my stories with you guys of my experience when the UFC was in LA during the first Fox show before I got banned... Ended up with a friend sitting at a table in the Marriott bar shooting the shit with Sean Shelby and Malki Kawa, Malki ended up making his case to us on why he is the best manager in the biz and it took until fucking 4:30am (it was pretty interesting though) met the Reem the same night along with a shitload of other fighters, and then at the after party saw Jonnybones roaming around quite tipsy, noted family man and aspiring politician Chris Lytle getting friendly with young girls who were not married to him (guess that means he's cut out for for the politicking thing) and lots of other shit that I forget the specifics about now, 3 months later and shit... anyways, it feels good to be back..

anyways, who wants to go to Atlanta for Suga vs JBJ? I'm thinking of going, tickets to the event will be pretty cheap in relative terms... I don't want to do Vegas anymore at the same prices if they're gonna keep watering down the cards like they have been.

oh and thanks for the gif, no homo

TheNatural

My Member!
Yeah i was gonna share my stories with you guys of my experience when the UFC was in LA during the first Fox show before I got banned... Ended up with a friend sitting at a table in the Marriott bar shooting the shit with Sean Shelby and Malki Kawa, Malki ended up making his case to us on why he is the best manager in the biz and it took until fucking 4:30am (it was pretty interesting though) met the Reem the same night along with a shitload of other fighters, and then at the after party saw Jonnybones roaming around quite tipsy, noted family man and aspiring politician Chris Lytle getting friendly with young girls who were not married to him (guess that means he's cut out for for the politicking thing) and lots of other shit that I forget the specifics about now, 3 months later and shit... anyways, it feels good to be back..

anyways, who wants to go to Atlanta for Suga vs JBJ? I'm thinking of going, tickets to the event will be pretty cheap in relative terms... I don't want to do Vegas anymore at the same prices if they're gonna keep watering down the cards like they have been.

oh and thanks for the gif, no homo

Welcome back brah

Heel

Hate to disappoint, but that's just archive footage of TheNatural and Ninja Scooter after a well-executed PRIDE joke.

Welcome back poly!

If only I wasn't a broke college student.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Man if I wasn't broke I'd love to drive up to Atlanta with a friend and make a weekend out of it. It's the closest the UFC has been to here in like 5 years.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Another classic male soap opera moment: Cruz just ethered Faber.

@UrijahFaber - & u never thanked me 4 saving your life. @TheDomin8r when I let go of the choke after you tapped. Gave you breath again. Ur welcome! #alive

@TheDomin8r - @urijahfaber thanks for letting go 5 years ago, choking sounds similar to what u have done on ur last 4 Title Fights! #pastyourprime

iz6JdhzEIGVkd.gif

Made all the more lame and pussified because of the retarded twitter format.

Oh and also, I'm firmly in the "Fuck Conduit" camp. That shit wasn't fighting IMO. Nobody I know wants to see that shit. I also don't know who the hell this "Condit" guy you all have started talking about is. And it's not that I'm clamoring for the STANDANDBANG shit, I want to see fighters in the Octagon fighting, not trying to edge the other guy on points while retreating. Conduit barely displayed any desire to finish that fight or any aggression whatsoever.. It was almost like I was watching this:

monkey_dog.gif

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Another classic male soap opera moment: Cruz just ethered Faber.

@UrijahFaber - & u never thanked me 4 saving your life. @TheDomin8r when I let go of the choke after you tapped. Gave you breath again. Ur welcome! #alive

@TheDomin8r - @urijahfaber thanks for letting go 5 years ago, choking sounds similar to what u have done on ur last 4 Title Fights! #pastyourprime
The alive hashtag makes it.

Luixfern

Oh and also, I'm firmly in the "Fuck Conduit" camp. That shit wasn't fighting IMO. Nobody I know wants to see that shit. I also don't know who the hell this "Condit" guy you all have started talking about is. And it's not that I'm clamoring for the STANDANDBANG shit, I want to see fighters in the Octagon fighting, not trying to edge the other guy on points while retreating. Conduit barely displayed any desire to finish that fight or any aggression whatsoever.. It was almost like I was watching this:

http://www.taleofthedog.com/tales/tales_pics/monkey_dog.gif

iDut2cHyI99Ag.gif

yacobod

Banned

[/IMG]

welcome back friend.

it's nice to have some dissenting opinion back in the house, it's been a constant circle jerk in MMA-GAF for the past few days. Revisionist history says that Conduit kicked his ass in a blowout and that Nick was never an exciting fighter.

Boogie

welcome back friend.

it's nice to have some dissenting opinion back in the house, it's been a constant circle jerk in MMA-GAF for the past few days. Revisionist history says that Conduit kicked his ass in a blowout and that Nick was never an exciting fighter.

"Revisionist history"? I seem to recall the talk in the event thread was essentially a consensus that the fight was clearly Condit's. I don't think that word means what you think it means....

yacobod

Banned
Oh wait, I forgot who I was talking to lol

you're the guy who lives in mexico north. because a small sample size of known nick diaz haters on a video game forum thought it was a consensus does not mean it was. sample sizes how do they work?

go back to evil bore or something.

in other news:

Lorenzo tweeted that former HW GOAT Cain Velasquez vs MMA Legend Frank Mir is on.

Boogie

Boogie = I don't have anything to say in retort so I'll resort to petty name calling.

Consoling you on your poor horse-picking skills = "petty name calling" now?

Here, yacobod, I'll help you out with an actual example of petty name calling:

"you're the guy who lives in Mexico north"

You're welcome. :)

you're the guy who lives in mexico north. because a small sample size of known nick diaz haters on a video game forum thought it was a consensus does not mean it was. sample sizes how do they work?

go back to evil bore or something.

in other news:

Lorenzo tweeted that former HW GOAT Cain Velasquez vs MMA Legend Frank Mir is on.

Hope Mir takes it, but I doubt it.

Boogie

Ya, Mir-Cain is a great fight, but hard to see Mir taking it. Cain probably lights him up standing, and will be smart and cautious following up on the ground.

EYEL1NER

Shit, I didn't even know that Jones-Rashad was going to be in Atlanta.
I just sent a message to my buddy who is in the Philippines right now telling him that we're going. I've been getting the itch really bad recently to see an event and with them being 4 hours (according to Google Maps, probably make it in a bit over 3 the way my buddy drives), now seems like the best time.

Mir and Cain should be interesting. I know that Mir has been working on his standup the last couple years (but it still isn't THAT great, he's no JDS) and I've never considered Cain to have much power in his fists. I'd like to see if go to the ground, because I have no opinion on whether Cain's wrestling or Mir's jits is better. I'm looking forward to this one.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Nick is such a moron. He keeps getting second chances and keeps fucking them up.

To be fair, he only lost to spliff decision.

EYEL1NER

I'm just a bit worried about prices for the Atlantic show.
I've always told people that if I go see I live event, I'm getting some expensive, good seats. But me being without a job right now, it's going to be hard enough to convince my wife that I need to go. I might have to settle for middle of the line seats.

yacobod

Banned
Does Sugar Cain really have better boxing or standup than Frank? I'm not so sure.

Frank has faced some common opponents of Sugar Cain and fared better. I know MMA math isn't always the best, but I think Cain would be wise to wrestle and GNP Mir. Standing he could get dazed and then submitted.

yacobod

Banned
i think the bigger thing to take away from Mir/Nog 2 is that instead of folding after he got hurt in typical Mir fashion, he weathered the storm and then broke Nog's arm.

yacobod

Banned
In the same situation, Cain would've finished Mir. Hell he was basically finished.

most likely, but I'm just saying Sugar Cain's mythical stand-up skills are in large part due to his fights with Zombie Nog and Brock. Prior to those fights most people referred to him as "pillow fists" or something close.

Mir should take this. I can't wait for the Sherdog meltdowns if Mir wins. Cain's stand up is overrated based on common opponents. It might even be wise to throw down some $$$ on Mir because I see him being the underdog by a large margin.

EYEL1NER

most likely, but I'm just saying Sugar Cain's mythical stand-up skills are in large part due to his fights with Zombie Nog and Brock. Prior to those fights most people referred to him as "pillow fists" or something close.
Was it the Ben Rothwell fight? I remember being pretty skeptical of Cain's power during that one.
But then again, maybe Ben Rothwell just has an amazing chin. Upon watching that fight again real quick on youtube, it seems like none of Cain's punches did shit to him.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
was thinking about the Unified rules change possibilities.

IF they are going to keep the 10point per round base system..How would everyone feel about the round by round score being either:

1. shown publicly in between rounds or
2. being told to each corner in between rounds but not broadcast in any way.

Would this help clarify where an athlete is in a point scoring setting and help eliminate the confusion to the fighters and corners..

Or would it just be abused by those ahead to avoid engaging and running out the clock.
Would implementing a strict yellow card system for those in the lead that avoid engagement be enough to offset concerns?

Boogie

Was it the Ben Rothwell fight? I remember being pretty skeptical of Cain's power during that one.
But then again, maybe Ben Rothwell just has an amazing chin. Upon watching that fight again real quick on youtube, it seems like none of Cain's punches did shit to him.

Naw, he probably means Kongo. Kongo dropped Cain multiple teams, whereas Mir dropped Kongo.

I think Mir has better power, but Cain has the more complete striking technique. Either way, it must be acknowledged that neither exactly has a cast-iron chin.

Heel

I've never considered Cain to have much power in his fists.

iEF8YYIAZHRd8.gif

It might even be wise to throw down some $$$ on Mir because I see him being the underdog by a large margin.

Nah, I can't see Mir getting higher than the +100's. If it does I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat. It's a closer fight than that.

Kidding me? Mir is going to get blasted, folks.

Where would we be without Chamber's consistent voice of reason? Mir couldn't even keep up with Zombie Nog's hand speed.

Welcome back, poly. Damn, 3 months. I don't know what I would do for 3 months without gaf.
yeah it feels weird to be able to actually participate in conversations again, I'm used to just passively reading now.. almost like I have some innate reluctancy to hit the "post reply" button or something.

oh and i see that boogie is still standing up for gaidojutsu practitioners like they were his own family, so all is right with the world.
Trolling on your return?
it ain't trollin if it's the truth

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Mir will be finished unless Cain does something stupid, sometimes I feel like I saw a different fight when I read some of these responses.

Top Bottom