• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

hunt is not going to get the marquee big name matchup you guys think he's going to get for his next fight. i'm telling you they are going to give him mike russow.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
You sly devil you. Yeah meant to post in the iPad 3 thread.

I am a habitual ninja editor. I can't think of the last post I didn't edit. I need an intervention. I might edit this.
Welcome to the Apple family, brother.

ibzTVv0RmuYnvT.gif

Top tenner meme aside, anyone wanting to see Hunt against guys like Cain and Carwin is insane. He's not on that kind of level.

Welcome to the Apple family, brother.

ibzTVv0RmuYnvT.gif

Top tenner meme aside, anyone wanting to see Hunt against guys like Cain and Carwin is insane. He's not on that kind of level.

Cain is insanely overrated. Him and Hunt have some common opponents and Hunts looked far more impressive vs Kongo than Cain can dream of. Cains chin is suspect and can get his head knocked off vs Hunto. Carwin would 100% stand and bang with Hunto which would lead to a loooong night for him. He either gasses in the first or gets KTFO by the 3rd.

Cain and Carwin are very winnable fights for Hunto.

Anyone who doesn't take Hunt down and arm bar him can lose. But anyone who can take him down should win. Mir would probably lose cuz he would stand.

Panzon

Cain is insanely overrated. Him and Hunt have some common opponents and Hunts looked far more impressive vs Kongo than Cain can dream of. Cains chin is suspect and can get his head knocked off vs Hunto. Carwin would 100% stand and bang with Hunto which would lead to a loooong night for him. He either gasses in the first or gets KTFO by the 3rd.

Cain and Carwin are very winnable fights for Hunto.

If Cain decided to wrestle Hunt and keep him on the ground it's over for him. If he stands with Carwin and doesn't get passed the first round hes going night night. Then again both their cardio suck so who knows

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Cain loses once and now he's overrated? He's not the "#1 HEAVYWEIGHT ALL TIME!" but I'd take him over any heavyweight who isn't JDS or the Reem.

TheNatural

My Member!
I think I'm going ot take a break until Jones whores Evans. Can't see any of the shows being that good up until then and MMA is on saturation overload if you keep up with each and every one. My head is going to explode if I have to watch more no namers scrap it out.

Cain loses once and now he's overrated? He's not the "#1 HEAVYWEIGHT ALL TIME!" but I'd take him over any heavyweight who isn't JDS or the Reem.

Its not that he lost, he just had favorable match ups and was hyped as being better than Fedor. JDS on the other hand faced far better competition during his path to the title than Cain did by far.

And yes I would put Mir over Cain any day.

Balehead

UFC does wonders hyping up their talents, people bought into this #1 HW goat thing and now that he lost he's shit. Dana obviously wanted him to be huge but it backfired, and the MMA fanbase jumps ships a lot.

The dude was 9-0 when he won the title by defeating the likes of Rothwell, Kongo and Zombie Nog. He only looked impressive when he defeated a post diseased Lesnar and was loosing the fight till Lesnar gassed. So yeah.

ShaneB

UFC does wonders hyping up their talents, people bought into this #1 HW goat thing and now that he lost he's shit. Dana obviously wanted him to be huge but it backfired, and the MMA fanbase jumps ships a lot.

It's a problem when you market stars because they win, not because they're a good fighter.

I guess that doesn't make a lot of sense, but if you're marketing someone because they're winning, at the first sign of a loss all the hype is lost in an instant.

It's a problem when you market stars because they win, not because they're a good fighter.

I guess that doesn't make a lot of sense, but if you're marketing someone because they're winning, at the first sign of a loss all the hype is lost in an instant.

Yeah one thing PRIDE was good at was keeping their stars popular even if they lost a fight.

Thats one reason why the UFC failed at building stars compared to PRIDE. People can hate on can crushing all they want but it helps build fighters highlight reels that are used to hype fights. UFC is all about the rankings and less about putting on a show. I think it needs to be a little bit of both....like PRIDE.

ShaneB

Yeah one thing PRIDE was good at was keeping their stars popular even if they lost a fight.

Thats one reason why the UFC failed at building stars compared to PRIDE. People can hate on can crushing all they want but it helps build fighters highlight reels that are used to hype fights. UFC is all about the rankings and less about putting on a show. I think it needs to be a little bit of both....like PRIDE.

Both valid points.

It's make me think of who is more important to the UFC?

A guy can go 10-0, and then lose 3 straight and he's cut. A guy 10-3, cut from the ufc.

Another fighter can slowly build a record to 10-3, a lose for every few wins, but will have a much longer stay in the UFC.

So who is more important?

The quick rising star, which we know they love, or the long lasting mid card guy.

Both valid points.

It's make me think of who is more important to the UFC?

A guy can go 10-0, and then lose 3 straight and he's cut. A guy 10-3, cut from the ufc.

Another fighter can slowly build a record to 10-3, a lose for every few wins, but will have a much longer stay in the UFC.

So who is more important?

The quick rising star, which we know they love, or the long lasting mid card guy.

If they want to build stars and break into the main stream than they need to go the PRIDE route. Look at Hendo for example. He's waiting on his ass for the outcome of the Evans Jones fight. This would be the perfect opportunity for him to have a nice tune up fight with a "can" and can give him a nice highlight reel KO to hype his title fight. Worst case Hendo looses the fight and another star is born. Look at Sokodju. He was fed to Little Nog and went on a nice streak and built up a nice name for himself.

Look at Hendo for example. He's waiting on his ass for the outcome of the Evans Jones fight. This would be the perfect opportunity for him to have a nice tune up fight with a "can" and can give him a nice highlight reel KO to hype his title fight. .

The public will start calling bullshit if the number 1 LHW contender has a 3rd straight win over a can.

Isn't that how Fedor name a name for himself?

just kidding, maybe.

Fedor may have padded his record in freakshow fights but he still did fight the best HW's around at the time. The only 2 fighters he missed out on fighting were Barnett and Randy. You can't keep fighting the same 3 guys forever you know.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Russow hasn't lost a fight since '07 and it was his only loss. I'm pretty sure that's who Hunt's next opponent will be. If they're smart, they will keep Werdum way the fuck away from him.

Werdum and Mir would be too much for Hunt. But he'd go through Russow just as easily as he did Tuchscherer.

Ronda Rousey said:
I am really scared of getting camel toe on national television. That just scares the crap out of me. If you notice, I’m constantly pulling my pants down when I fight, because those are some tight little spandex shorts. I just have this phobia that I’m going to get camel toe when I fight, and I’m constantly pulling my pants down. That’s really the only thing I’m scared of: [Laughs.] Broadcasted camel toe.

I wonder if Tate is familiar with Ultimate Surrender.

dream

Oh man, a gay fighter in a house full of bald, tattooed, uneducated douchebags with unlimited alcohol available to them? Oh man.

Oh man.

dream

Especially in a house full of ignorant amateur ultimate fighters with lots of tequila available to them. I'm hoping they won't be able to resist, drawing the ire of GLAAD and causing this atrocious show called The Ultimate Fighter to (finally!) get cancelled.

tass0

Banned
Fedor may have padded his record in freakshow fights but he still did fight the best HW's around at the time. The only 2 fighters he missed out on fighting were Barnett and Randy. You can't keep fighting the same 3 guys forever you know.

And he was supposed to fight them both.

Barnett/Fedor was supposed to happen in Affliction, but Josh testing positive for dem roids kind of killed that.

IIRC, Fedor was supposed to fight Couture back in 08/09, but it never happened.

I tell ya, Fedor haters are the worst type of MMA "fans".

It simply boggles the mind that somebody could dislike Fedor, let alone attempting to shit on his legacy, and spouting the nonsense that he's never fought top fighters.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Especially in a house full of ignorant amateur ultimate fighters with lots of tequila available to them. I'm hoping they won't be able to resist, drawing the ire of GLAAD and causing this atrocious show called The Ultimate Fighter to (finally!) get cancelled.

What if everyone in the house will actually be gay.

13115355445511sl6n.gif

So down for an all girl TUF.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
It simply boggles the mind that somebody could dislike Fedor, let alone attempting to shit on his legacy, and spouting the nonsense that he's never fought top fighters.

Fedor and his management have crapped on his legacy enough. All the Ninja Scooters in the world couldn't top that shit. Where Overeem is right now is where Fedor should be. But holding out for co-promotion is more important than that I guess.

Fedor should fight Barnett after the SF Grand Prix ends and then retire. If he has no desire left to fight at the highest level, then I'd prefer this over seeing him follow Ken Shamrock's career path.

Top Bottom