• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Im gonna call this right now. The most popular divisions within the next 5-10 years will be the FW and LW's after all the old guard retire. The talent pool is very young with upcoming prospects. That can't really be said for even the WW division. The MW and LHW pretty much have no decent young prospects besides Jones, who might even move up to heavy.

Its gonna be weird when all my fav fighters retire. End of an era.

ShaneB

Im gonna call this right now. The most popular divisions within the next 5-10 years will be the FW and LW's after all the old guard retire. The talent pool is very young with upcoming prospects. That can't really be said for even the WW division. The MW and LHW pretty much have no decent young prospects besides Jones, who might even move up to heavy.

Its gonna be weird when all my fav fighters retire. End of an era.

Not that far of a stretch really. The young talent that is growing up with the sport are largely not heavyweight size just due to age and growth and all that, so they'll fight in the lower weight classes when they're younger.

As for the heavier kids, they'll be pushed towards the bigger sports, such as football, and rightly so.

Ok, Chael made me laugh. "There is nobody else more surprised that (Alves) tapped out, more than Martin Kapmann. I think Martin will tell you himself, he didn't have that choke. You have to be a real boob to get caught at the end of the fight like that."

Headliners Miesha Tate and Ronda Rousey as well as Paul Daley and Kuzuo Misaki all came up clean for performance enhancing drugs (PED’s) and drugs of abuse (Marijuana, cocaine, etc.)
EmKzc.jpg

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/3/5...ll-of-a-fight-if-ufc-gives-him-another-chance

Timmy is getting really desperate to return to the UFC. "I'll fight for free!!!!" desperate.

no friend, i've been very vocal in my opposition of the addition of the midget divisions in the UFC. they should move these fights to strike force to help salvage that mess. I think that strike force card last night was one of the worst cards i've ever watched.

I think it's fair to give small dudes a chance to fight in their own division instead of being crushed by guys much bigger than them. But sometimes they can look really stupid. At least put in a smaller referee. John McCarthy and Herb Dean look like they're watching over an elementary school fight when they ref those matches.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Sylvia vs Toney, do it Joe Silva. Winner gets a shot at Ray Mercer.

And the best way for the fans to get to know Sylvia is for the UFC to promote him again. He'll be waiting by the phone.
Hey you can't jump Ryan Martinez on the queue!

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Geeze just give Sylvia a shot. I know Dana says he has no probs with Sylvia, but deep down he probably just does not like the guy, maybe for ditching the UFC to fight Fedor.

A lot of casuals still remember his name, and not necessarily his fights, so im sure they can throw him in a Fuel or FX card. Dude, is even willing to take the lowest paid contract lol. I also dont blame him for ditching the UFC and taking that 800,000. It seems he is set for life with that money.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Geeze just give Sylvia a shot. I know Dana says he has no probs with Sylvia, but deep down he probably just does not like the guy, maybe for ditching the UFC to fight Fedor.

A lot of casuals still remember his name, and not necessarily his fights, so im sure they can throw him in a Fuel or FX card. Dude, is even willing to take the lowest paid contract lol. I also dont blame him for ditching the UFC and taking that 800,000. It seems he is set for life with that money.

Fuck Tim Sylvia. Keep that gawky motherfucker in the bush leagues where he belongs.

bone_and_sinew

No. I'd rather watch a replay of a Fuel/FX prelim finish and commercials than watch Tim Sylvia fight for 15 minutes.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Fuck Tim Sylvia. Keep that gawky motherfucker in the bush leagues where he belongs.

No. I'd rather watch a replay of a Fuel/FX prelim finish and commercials than watch Tim Sylvia fight for 15 minutes.

Hahaha, Bad MMA in the UFC? I'm down.

Anyway, i was looking at it as a business perspective. He is kind of remembered by casuals, like i said they dont remember his fights, so a cheap name they can throw in a free card to bring more viewers.

yacobod

Banned
I almost want to see Big Timmeh rejoin the UFC to see if he can go on an improbable Mark Hunt-esque winning streak after being completely written off.

Heel

I think a motivated Tim Sylvia who's forced to make 265 would beat the bottom of the division. The thing is it would be boring, so I'd rather he stays on the Bad MMA circuit.

industrian

At the next Xtreme Midwest King of the Cage Challenge Xtreme FC they should have Tim Sylvia vs. Sean McCorkle. Winner gets a UFC contract to have a match/rematch against Christian Morecraft on a Facebook prelim.

bone_and_sinew

Xtreme Midwest King of the Cage Challenge Xtreme FC is beneath Sean McCorkle. He's Bellator material now!

No seriously, he's on the Bellator undercard in 4 days.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I almost want to see Big Timmeh rejoin the UFC to see if he can go on an improbable Mark Hunt-esque winning streak after being completely written off.

I've no doubt that Timmy could get to a kind of Check Kongo ranking in the middle of the division, I just don't want to watch it.

bone_and_sinew

And according to one source, both Arlovski and Fedor are ducking him. He's definitely Bellator material now.
I googled and here's a wall o' text interview done today. Some choice quotes:

re: Arlovski said:
“I was told his management didn’t want it the first time. The second time they proposed it his management said no and they left it up to Greg Jackson and he said absolutely not, they didn’t want him matching up with me,” McCorkle said. “The way Arlovski’s looked the last couple fights I wouldn’t blame him. I don’t think it’s anything personal, they just want him to get on a win streak and build up his confidence. He looks bad I think, like bad bad his last two. That’s a perfect fight for me right now. I always like to fight the most famous guy as possible who’s as bad as possible. Give me Ken Shamrock right now if someone will do it.”
re: Fedor said:
“Monte Cox, my agent, tried to get me Fedor before he fought Jeff Monson, but M-1 didn’t like that matchup because in their opinion I wasn’t as well known as Monson,” he said. “It wasn’t a style thing, they just thought Monson was the bigger name and easier sell. We tried to get Brett Rogers done for an April fight but for whatever reason Monte said it didn’t pan out, maybe for legal issues I don’t know. I was looking forward to it and was disappointed because if I can’t beat Brett Rogers I shouldn’t be back in the UFC, but if I do beat him it shows I belong back there. There’s not a lot of guys that are worse than Brett Rogers in the UFC.”

re: on Meathead and Fraud's UFC runs said:
“I’ve always been a big Mark Hunt fan even though he was kind of a dick to me after the fight. The more he wins the better I look, I guess,” McCorkle said. “I think Hunt and Struve for your first two UFC fights is a tough draw. To be honest I would have loved to have been brought along like Mitrione or Brendan Schaub were. Compare Mitrione’s first few fights to my first few. He fought guys like Marcus Jones, Kimbo Slice, Joey Beltran, and Tim Hague, guys that aren’t in the UFC anymore.”

There's a bunch of other stuff like him whining about the 265 weight limit and being too big and the UG complaining about his opponents.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I guess that one dude on TUF is only gay for pay in films.

I wonder if there are any out fighters?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Compare Mitrione’s first few fights to my first few. He fought guys like Marcus Jones, Kimbo Slice, Joey Beltran, and Tim Hague, guys that aren’t in the UFC anymore.
3rd best heavyweight in the world by the end of 2012, brehs!

industrian

We should just start up our own promotion and call it BAD-MMA.

NeoGAF Presents: Big And Dangerous Mixed Martial Arts 1

Tim Sylvia vs. Sean McCorkle
Brett Rogers vs. Wes Sims
Travis Fulton vs. Some guy who's still in high school

There's a bunch of other stuff like him whining about the 265 weight limit and being too big and the UG complaining about his opponents.

As a tall person myself I can empathise with the weight limit. Especially if you bulked up for sports in high school like I assume McCorkle did (as did I.)

But no-one, absolutely no-one would pay money to watch a UFC Super Heavyweight fight. If you don't have the will or physical ability to remain under 266lbs then it's time to book your flight to Japan.

It'll be interesting to see how Stefan Struve controls his weight when he's around 28-32 years old.

Rampage tweeted that his next UFC fight will be his last UFC fight but not his last fight

Rampage making the move to Bad MMA confirmed? Dana not willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money for a contract renewal when Rampage has turned in mostly piss poor performances ever since A-Team confirmed?

Rampage making the move to Bad MMA confirmed? Dana not willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money for a contract renewal when Rampage has turned in mostly piss poor performances ever since A-Team confirmed?

Quinton Jackson ‏ @Rampage4real

"@VWAssassin: @Rampage4real your leaving the UFC?" Y should I stay? I don't need them or anybody else negative dealing with my carrie

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
NeoGAF Presents: Big And Dangerous Mixed Martial Arts 1

Tim Sylvia vs. Sean McCorkle
Brett Rogers vs. Wes Sims
Travis Fulton vs. Some guy who's still in high school

As a tall person myself I can empathise with the weight limit. Especially if you bulked up for sports in high school like I assume McCorkle did (as did I.)

But no-one, absolutely no-one would pay money to watch a UFC Super Heavyweight fight. If you don't have the will or physical ability to remain under 266lbs then it's time to book your flight to Japan.

It'll be interesting to see how Stefan Struve controls his weight when he's around 28-32 years old.

I'm more partial to Bad-Ass Dudes MMA, although I agree with the card!

Timmy is getting really desperate to return to the UFC. "I'll fight for free!!!!" desperate.

KJ Noons admitted to the same thing on last week's Inside MMA. He said if the UFC would pick him up they wouldn't even have to pay him because he could live off all the FoTN and KOoTN bonuses.

Top Bottom