• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

dream

Well they have enough fucking tv time to build personalities and stars but who wants to do that when you can just shit out "Alex Gustafsson vs Thiago Silva" every month

friend, how do you propose Zuffa starts building compelling events, grooming fighters, and marketing stars within the confines of the outdated pay-per-view model?
lol funny anecdote, I was at a bar with Sean Shelby and some other peeps the day before the Cain/JDS fight and he was asking us all "what is your dream fight right now for the 35s and 45s" like he really wanted some serious input and none of us really had a good answer. Probably because we were all pretty tipsy by that point.

Oh and dream, we'll have to agree to disagree on Gustaffson. Dude is gonna be a star. As for Thiago Silva:

5.gif

yacobod

Banned
lol funny anecdote, I was at a bar with Sean Shelby and some other peeps the day before the Cain/JDS fight and he was asking us all "what is your dream fight right now for the 35s and 45s" like he really wanted some serious input and none of us really had a good answer. Probably because we were all pretty tipsy by that point.

It's telling though because even the most hardened MMA fans might have trouble naming 10 guys at 145# and 6 guys at 135#.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Rory MacDonald is a great rising star who clowned the shit out of Nate Diaz and sent him back down to 155, but he's fighting Che Mills who will be in his 2nd UFC fight, the first being a win over Chris "Woo" Cope. Come on now.

Come on son, Che "Got Skills" Mills has twice defeated Marius Zaro... yeah I see your point.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Hominick is a top FW who got caught with a lucky shot from the Zombie who wasn't known for his KO power prior to that fight, but he's fighting some dude named Eddie Yagin who has never fought in the UFC or WEC even once. Yagin's claim to fame is choking out some dude who almost beat some former champ in Bellator who is probably brain dead after last Friday. Squash match for the Hominator.

Yagin has actually fought in the UFC once before against that wannabe Anderson Silva; Junior Assuncao. He is Filipino so you know Dana wants to try and milk this dude especially if he beats Hominick.

Yagin also has points for some of the ugliest tattoos i've ever seen. And this is MMA so the bar for ugly tattoos is already up there.

Heel

Yeah I know about Che's Cage Rage days and all that.. Still doesn't mean shit IMO.

I think you're getting caught up in names and failing to realize Che always brings it. The card is stacked with guys who put on a show. Who cares if they're not all going to be champions one day? I watch to be entertained. 145 is a great card.

industrian

Speaking of Asian MMA, here's the new ONE FC ringgirl.

She's Korean, and as with the territory she's had her face airbrushed into oblivion:

UMOdd.jpg

I'm sure that she looks human in person.

I think you're getting caught up in names and failing to realize Che always brings it. The card is stacked with guys who put on a show. Who cares if they're not all going to be champions one day? I watch to be entertained. 145 is a great card.
My point is that he has never faced a guy even close to the skill level of Rory. Che Mills Got Skills, but only when he's fighting cans.

Eric Prindle is out of the main event in Bellator this Friday.

This tweet from him is fitting for a Bellator heavyweight:

Eric Prindle said:
Talk about Murphy,s law. The camition will not let Santos and I fight. This fri!!!! The good thing I get to eat!!!

Sherdog's new meaningless p4p rankings:

1. Spider Silva
2. God-damn Sleeping Pill
3. JBJ (should be number 1)
4. Jose Aldo (should be number 2)
5. Hendo
6. Cruz
7. Bendo
8. The Answer Edgar
9. Gil
10. Natural Born Runner Carlos

Wow this is fucking retarded. Sherdog must really hate JDS. He has only lost 1 time in his career and is undefeated in the UFC and took by far the tougher route to the HW title in dominating fashion. Given the competition he faced, he should be above both Aldo and Cruz. Lame that Condit is on there as well.

Damn I hope Hunto destroys Struve so we can see Hunto/Carwin which is sure to be fireworks. Hunto would KTFO Carwin in 1. I would put $200 on Hunto in that fight.

Natural Born Runner indeed.

So it looks like QRJ is going in for surgery on both his knees, and now the Shogun fight will be postponed. Hopefully Shogun's knees hold up long enough so that his won't be fucked when fight time finally comes around lol.

yacobod

Banned

So it looks like QRJ is going in for surgery on both his knees, and now the Shogun fight will be postponed. Hopefully Shogun's knees hold up long enough so that his won't be fucked when fight time finally comes around lol.

It's probably good that we don't have a second match, both guys are kind of past their expiration date and it won't be great. QRJ hasn't had a good performance in years, and Shogun's knees are kaput. I hate to say it, but they're both shot fighters.

But to chime in ya JDS deserves to be on the list.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity

How kind of Rampage to fight Shogun on equal footing. I really really really hope this doesn't turn out like Sefo-Cro Cop or Randy-Coleman.

Heel

What should the new thread title be? Throw out some ideas.

MMA |OT3| - When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable
MMA |OT3| - Whoever Joe Silva will put in front of us.
MMA |OT3| - Thread of Bad MMA, Denzel Washington, and arguing over Fedor
MMA |OT3| - Thread of facing the pain, just bleeding, and no escaping when stepped to

TheNatural

My Member!

MMA |OT3| - Thread of facing the pain, just bleeding, and no escaping when stepped to

What the hell is the limit of posts anyway?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
It's how we get all our news anyways.
I like this one.

pride mwgp shogun aint coming back. i've accepted it, maybe you should too.
I've accepted it but losing to Jon Jones and a decision against Dan Henderson that could have been scored in his favor depending on how you view Round 5 is not cause to declare a fighter done. I wish everyone could get over their need to throw every non-UFC belt holder under the bus.

Lose a hard fought close decision and you're done. Welcome to MMA fandom.
You know as well as I do that Shogun is touch-and-go these days with his knees and has been since Pride closed up. He looked horrible against Forrest, KO'd Chuck when it was played out to do, looked great against Machida the first time, came in hurt against Machida the 2nd time and quickly pulled out the victory, looked bad against Bones (but this was most likely just a result of the initial knee that apparently winded him), dispatched an uninterested Forrest quickly while looking a bit stiff in their rematch and took a shitload of punishment from Hendo. Yeah I scored it for Shogun too but whether he won or lost that fight, he's still unreliable these days mostly due to his knees and lack of cardio. I'm not going to say he's completely shot or anything because that's ridiculous, but he's not the spring chicken that won the MWGP in '05.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
You know as well as I do that Shogun is touch-and-go these days with his knees and has been since Pride closed up.

Shogun's knees don't have anything to do with him showing up visibly out of shape for the Henderson fight. His own manager and friend called him lazy.

yacobod

Banned
I've accepted it but losing to Jon Jones and a decision against Dan Henderson that could have been scored in his favor depending on how you view Round 5 is not cause to declare a fighter done. I wish everyone could get over their need to throw every non-UFC belt holder under the bus.

I'm not saying he's incapable of putting on a good fight, but he's officially done as a contender in the UFC. I think his injury history, lousy work ethic, and refusal to join a real training camp has taken it's toll. Shogun can fight for as long as he wants as an entertaining gate-keeper or mid-card guy, no shame in that.

Another thing that nobody is taking in to consideration. A 25 minute war like Hendo/Shogun can be a career ender, neither guy may ever be the same again. Time will tell.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
There's ONE guy at Light Heavyweight who is capable of decisively defeating Shogun, even in his current lazy ass form.

industrian

bone_and_sinew said:
I'm not one to dwell on typos, especially tweets, but Jesus fuck.

Is that him trying to spell "commission" ? Where's that "So I told that teaching lady..." image when you need it.

Heel said:

MMA |OT3| Zis is my toughest thread yet and other excuses

I'm not saying he's incapable of putting on a good fight, but he's officially done as a contender in the UFC. I think his injury history, lousy work ethic, and refusal to join a real training camp has taken it's toll. Shogun can fight for as long as he wants as an entertaining gate-keeper or mid-card guy, no shame in that.

Another thing that nobody is taking in to consideration. A 25 minute war like Hendo/Shogun can be a career ender, neither guy may ever be the same again. Time will tell.

That's what I meant to say when I said that he took a shitload of punishment from Hendo. I don't think either of those guys are going to be the same now.

MMA |OT3| - Thread of Ronda Rousey's short shorts creepin' and Misha Tate's arm snappin'

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
MMA |OT3| - All this hugging and shit
MMA |OT3| - Commence FOX theme now
MMA |OT3| - If judges can't agree on winners, how can we on this title?

Top Bottom