• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

rampage is popular because he puts on his clown shoes and plays a fool, and he's never dominated the sport besides his brief tenure as UFC champ.

I just don't believe there are many people that dislike Jones because of his race. There are quite a few black fighters that are popular. Jones is just disliked because of the way he acts. Even your friend Dream thinks he is fake.

The Moment Everything Supposedly Changed for Jon Jones and Rashad Evans

"It's Dana's world when you're a UFC fighter and we live in it," Jones said. "So, I respect Dana a lot, and if that's what he absolutely wanted to happen, I guess that's what would have to happen. Me or Rashad would not want to get fired over the situation. It would just be majorly awkward for us. Rashad and I have a lot in common: we're both young, African-American men with families. We both like to sing, have fun. We're both elite MMA fighters. We have a lot in common, and we both really clicked really well. There's just so many other great fighters in the world that we could compete against. And you know, we're not animals. We're friends, we're human beings. I would hate to have to fight my own teammate. I would never want to."

So, why am I bringing this up now? Well, ever since the Jones-Evans fight became a reality, Evans has pointed to this response as the moment everything changed. In fact, the latest UFC 145 preview video, which can be seen below, credits this moment as the beginning of the end of their friendship.

I don't really see what is so disrespectful in this comment. Jones wanted to be champion and he answered truthfully. I think Evans knew him and Jones would have to fight so he used this as an excuse to leave.

tass0

Banned
perhaps it's because you have a persecution complex, i consider myself an athiest or agnostic.

i honestly don't see why someone would dislike his fights. he's super athletic. has an exciting style, and brutally finishes his opponents. that's pretty much everything i'm looking for in mma. different strokes i guess.

but i think a lot of the backlash against him is due to his skin color. i don't think i'm making a big stretch when the UFC's target demo is 18-40 white male dudebros.

I don't think he has an exciting style per se.

He has a slow, technical approach where he measures his opponent and systematically shuts them down.

While it's entertaining for me and seasoned MMA fans to watch because we understand the technical approach, I don't think it's entertaining for the average UFC dudebro.

It's not that he's black either, it's just that he does a lot of things that would seem douchey, like signing autographs with "champion 2011" when he had the Shogun fight coming up. A lot of people were pissed off from now.

Now it's being taken to a different level the more he defends his title, and acts as if he's unbeatable.

People like humbleness.

Heel

Didn't you preorder one?

Nah, waiting for Amazon merchants to sell for retail and take advantage of no sales tax + $100 worth of gift credit. Doesn't look like there's a shortage, so shouldn't be too long. I don't have the fever bad enough to not wait and save a little.

dream

Go look at one at an Apple Store and said fever will set in faster than a first round Freddy Lenko loss. The screen is bananas.

B-A-N-A-N-A-S.

You got a new iPad Dream? If I move to LA I am going to buy the new ipad and give my ipad 2 to my kid so we can facetime each other every night.

yacobod

Banned
If the Patriots would have won the superbowl I was going to ask for a name change to The FACE and sport a Tom Brady floating head avatar.

hermes-barros-francajpg-451e75e2607286ac.jpg

this should be your floating head.

yacobod

Banned
poly i seen those LA bar crawl pics, didn't realize Shang Tsung was on GAF, what was it like to party with a Mortal Kombat legend?

Heel

Lmao tell me why first.

It was decided that if there was an MMA entity that defined CaptYamato, it was Hermes Franca. No details were given, but it was universally agreed upon. Plus, look at that fucking avatar brah. It's calling you.

lol non-asian Gregu please!

poly i seen those LA bar crawl pics, didn't realize Shang Tsung was on GAF, what was it like to party with a Mortal Kombat legend?

lmao you guys are in rare form today.

Top Bottom