• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
iSybjynxQuH29.png
taisetsu na mono protect my balls

Heel

CaptYamato, if you aren't going to humbly accept your avatar how about we make a friendly MMA-GAF wager.

If ya boy Anthony Pettis does not hold a UFC or Strikeforce championship title in 2012, in any weight class, you must change your name to CaptFranca and use the avatar.

Deal, or are you accepting that Gil, Aldo and Bendo would whoop that ass?

Heel

JJ, we are over professionally.

The hot dog genuinely disturbs me. Please tell me the back story of your avatar.

How about a nice Mothra avatar instead?

The MMA-GAF meetup should be at a hot dog stand for an obvious photo opportunity.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

Sex so good it'll break her bed? It's called weighing 300lbs.

That cover is incredibly Asian. I've been working here too long. I can picture the designer's manager yelling at him to put in the "100% USEFUL!" at the 11th hour to appease the micromanaging CEO.

TheNatural

My Member!
Okay, a bit long, but I'm a compulsive researcher and I wanted to get to the bottom of this, so it'll probably be worth your while to take a look if you're at all interested in the true legal implications of Dana's threats. Let's begin with the legal opinion of an actual legal expert:

"But according to First Amendment attorney Marc Randazza, it is not at all clear how the UFC will take action against those who simply watched illicit streams.

'I have a very hard time finding a theory of liability for someone who merely watched an illegal broadcast. That's like saying if a bar was illegally publicly presenting a movie or an NFL game, that everyone in the bar would be liable,' Randazza told TorrentFreak.

'My guess is that the UFC’s attorneys will not really go after people who merely watched the fights. They may, however, use the data they gather in order to find out if any of those people were re-distributing it,' Randazza adds."

Full article here:

http://torrentfreak.com/can-you-be-s...stream-120317/

So, yeah... lost amid all the hoopla and debate concerning copyright after Dana's big bombshell announcement last week that they would soon be going after viewers of illegal streams was the fact that viewing copyrighted material on a live stream (in the US and Canada at least) isn't actually illegal. See, to infringe on copyright, you need to make a COPY.

And yeah, I get that your computer caches a copy as it streams, but a well-established history of case law has determined that this doesn't count. This is why it's okay for you to DVR TV shows. And no, it isn't because the DVR provider has worked out some special access deal with the content creator. Quite the opposite. Content creators (specifically, the Cartoon Network) attempted to sue those providing DVR services when the first came out. They lost:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartoon..._Holdings,_Inc.

The crux of the ruling goes something like this:

A DVR player makes two copies.

The first, created by the DVR service provider, is transitory. It is saved for 1.2 seconds. This momentary data stream, it was ruled, is not covered under copyright law. (This is what you do when you stream a UFC event.)

The second copy, which is saved for later use, is made using DVR hardware, yes, but is made at the behest of the end user. Therefore any legal liability is his/her own. This does not apply to streaming UFC events, only to downloading and creating a copy. However, it is interesting to note that even this was ruled to fall within the protections of 'fair use' so long as it is an individual copy made for personal use, a ruling based largely upon the precedence set by the Betamax case:

Sony Corp. of America v. Universal City Studios, Inc. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

(I've thrown the Wikipedia sites in here just because they distill and synthesize the information in a concise way. But if you have qualms with Wikipedia, now you have a starting point. You can check their veracity by following the source material at the bottom of the wiki page, or simply conducting some independent research on the cases at hand).

But, still, streamers probably shouldn't hold their breath waiting for an apology from the Sherdoggers who have gone out of their way over the last few days to label them as thieves for doing something that is, you know, perfectly legal.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/final-word-danas-copyright-crackdown-2042245/

Nice try Dana

Heel

Michael Bisping wil be facing top tenner Tim Boetsch at UFC 148. I'm afraid the hand and foot speed will be a little too much for our favorite barbarian.

TheNatural

My Member!
One of the coaches was saying to me 'The reason why is trying to play that big brother to you, it's because he realizes that he can't beat you.' and that's what it was, he tried to play big brother to kind of have me in his back pocket, and that wasn't gonna work."

"While Rashad was here (Jackson's MMA) I definitely feel as if I was teaching him a lot more about Martial Arts that he was ever teaching me [...] Rashad is basically a Boxer and a Wrestler [...] I know I taught Rashad a lot more than he ever taught me..."

"Rashad's best way to win the fight is probably to try to take me down, round after round and hold me down. You know I was a National champ (Junior College) and I was a State champ as well in High School, I've a lot of pride in my wrestling [...]"

JJ telling it like it is.

DKehoe

vippass.jpg

Presence. Tenacity. Insight. Omniscience. No need to look these words up. They are defined by yours truly. Who am I? I'm the one who needs no introduction, the walking thesaurus, the UFC's most infamous and feared destroyer of men. I am Chael P. Sonnen, and you want to be just like me.

It's your lucky day. What you are holding in your hands is nothing short of a V.I.P pass to enlightenment. In the coming pages my humor and tales of heroic adventure will baptize you in superhuman greatness. Allow me to carry you like a frail damsel as I make a nightmarish decent into the bowels of Sao Paulo. Sit before me as a student as I teach you about my plans of creating a Chaelocracy, which translates to "A Better Earth." Shower me with praise as I take you into my manly mitts like a lump of seemingly worthless clay and craft you into something far better than yourself—me.

Like all great men of myth and legend, I strive for the betterment of the human race. Prometheus brought us fire; Dana White brought us the modern day gladiator; and I bring you a step-by-step guide to being just like me. Do you have what it takes? Is there truly a chance that one day you will be able to walk in my shoes? Purchase this book and find out. There is no better day to stop being you and start trying to be me.

You're welcome civilization.

Rashad's mythical hand speed is still living off of the Chuck KO like 3 or 4 years ago.

Seriously. At the time it was impressive, then we found out that Chuck was just over they hill and a strong breeze could knock him unconscious. Rashad's been living off that KO for years.

Top Bottom