• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Sonnen/Mayhem twitter war

@sonnench
MayHem: Due to time constraints I am currently confining my Twitter wars to active, relevant, fighters ONLY. Buy a T-shirt on your way out.

@mayhemmiller
@sonnench don't worry-you're a beatdown away from obscurity. I'll be happy to beat your head in-that's if it's not still on a pike in Rio.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Mayhem needs to be quiet after his last fight. Even more embarrassing than Sonnen's roiding and criminal fraud. Needs to put on a good show before he can start being cute again afaic.

Heel

I've had it with this "Hunto" stuff. Dont get mad when I start posting anime gifs again.

Z0mOS.gif

Everyone knows it's MARKUUU HUNTOOO

TheNatural

My Member!
"Ratings for the fifth episode of "The Ultimate Fighter: Live" were down slightly and resulted in an average audience of 947,000 viewers, which marks the smallest ratings figure in the 15-season run of the series."

Time to stop beating TUF into the ground.

I've been one to defend TUF in the past but that shit is beyond stale. Time to change the whole formula.

the last few seasons the fighters have all sucked. They haven't made it for a reason. The only way to save TUF is to somehow incorporate actually UFC fighters, like put 8 welterweights in a house together to fight for a title shot or something, but that will never happen. Imagine Diaz and Conduit living together though?

dream

The most offensive thing about TUF is all the goddamn joes they inject into the "Superbowl of Mixed Martial Arts."

tass0

Banned
TUF Brazil is actually pretty damn good.

I don't really care for the last few seasons of the US version, but so far TUF Brazil has been legit.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i wouldnt mind a "comebacks" season again. bring shonie in as a coach :p

Dysun

The TUF talent pool has dried up, all the good 155ers and up are already in established organizations. The fights suck, and it being LIVE really makes no difference since the fights come through in the same way they did before.

Faber is boring as fuck, surprisingly Cruz is the more interesting coach

Also, whose bright idea was it to air it on Friday at 10PM when your target audience is the 18-34 demographic.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Henderson is one of my favorite fighters. Mainly because he doesn't need excuses about how old he is to put on a good fight and be competitive.

There's a reason Hendo seems to be getting better with age, and it's the same thing that kept Handy going after he qualified for a senior citizen's discount on his bus fare. It also gave Sonnen the record required for his act to have any impact (interesting how they're all from the same team). No other sport gives therapeutic use exemptions for TRT yet in MMA they seem to give you the forms when you get fitted for gloves.

This is why this Roidereem debacle is so infuriating. We ask these people to grind their bodies into dust training all manner of combat sports before beating each other up in front of a live audience 3 or so times a year so that we can be entertained. Every other sport is filled to the brim with dopers, but this uniquely debilitating one, that also happens to boast the most lax regulation and testing procedures, should for some reason be sacrosanct. Then Overeem gets caught in a random test and some moron with a Couture av on some cesspool forum (not the enlightened brethren of Classy-MMA) yells about how he should be banned for life for having 14 times the testosterone of a normal man (that's not how T/E ratios work).

I'm of the opinion that there's no good reason to ban steroids for use by prize-fighters. This isn't a track and field event where records are set to reflect the extent of human achievement. The health risks are vastly overstated and the vast majority of them are using anyway, just have a substance whitelist and get them to regularly check up with an endocrinologist. Fighters aren't going to be using bodybuilder levels anyway because they have to make weight and things like trenbolone can kill your cardio. If people don't want to use, then that's their choice, but they're not going to suddenly become uncompetitive because of it. Half the people popped in postfights lost the fight, and they only test the loser in title bouts. Some fighters choose to go vegan, don't use supplements or don't cut weight, but they find a way to make it work. I don't buy the safety argument either. For one, these guys know what they're getting into. Secondly, PRIDE had stomps, soccer kicks, no testing and some of the most lopsided matchmaking ever seen, and they still couldn't get Wanderlei to actually kill someone in the ring, no matter how much they tried.

Apologies for the rant, hopefully it serves to distinguish my personality from all the cookie cutter part time posters with NCAA credentials and a couple of months worth of boxing and BJJ lessons.

Heel

There's a reason Hendo seems to be getting better with age, and it's the same thing that kept Handy going after he qualified for a senior citizen's discount on his bus fare. It also gave Sonnen the record required for his act to have any impact (interesting how they're all from the same team). No other sport gives therapeutic use exemptions for TRT yet in MMA they seem to give you the forms when you get fitted for gloves.

This is why this Roidereem debacle is so infuriating. We ask these people to grind their bodies into dust training all manner of combat sports before beating each other up in front of a live audience 3 or so times a year so that we can be entertained. Every other sport is filled to the brim with dopers, but this uniquely debilitating one, that also happens to boast the most lax regulation and testing procedures, should for some reason be sacrosanct. Then Overeem gets caught in a random test and some moron with a Couture av on some cesspool forum (not the enlightened brethren of Classy-MMA) yells about how he should be banned for life for having 14 times the testosterone of a normal man (that's not how T/E ratios work).

I'm of the opinion that there's no good reason to ban steroids for use by prize-fighters. This isn't a track and field event where records are set to reflect the extent of human achievement. The health risks are vastly overstated and the vast majority of them are using anyway, just have a substance whitelist and get them to regularly check up with an endocrinologist. Fighters aren't going to be using bodybuilder levels anyway because they have to make weight and things like trenbolone can kill your cardio. If people don't want to use, then that's their choice, but they're not going to suddenly become uncompetitive because of it. Half the people popped in postfights lost the fight, and they only test the loser in title bouts. Some fighters choose to go vegan, don't use supplements or don't cut weight, but they find a way to make it work. I don't buy the safety argument either. For one, these guys know what they're getting into. Secondly, PRIDE had stomps, soccer kicks, no testing and some of the most lopsided matchmaking ever seen, and they still couldn't get Wanderlei to actually kill someone in the ring, no matter how much they tried.

Apologies for the rant, hopefully it serves to distinguish my personality from all the cookie cutter part time posters with NCAA credentials and a couple of months worth of boxing and BJJ lessons.

Rookie of the year candidate right here.

Just a sidenote, you have to think guys with "theraputic use exemptions" like Marquardt, Couture and Hendo are just suffering side effects from their freewheeling days of roiding. It's hard to believes there's so many fighters with legitimately low-t when the inability to produce your own is a known side effect.

They know the risks and it should be their choice to take what they please if they think the pros justify the cons. I'm here to enjoy the sport not feign disgust when its "purity" is threatened. Who really cares?

Heel

I've gotta see this. I like how WrassleGAF is marking out over seeing Brock the MMA trojan horse land a real life punch.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Brock getting a 1 year, 5 million dollar contract for 3 dates a month established him as the alpha.

I figured 2 Raws and a PPV was what his schedule would look like. Didn't think they would give him 5 million for it.

Way to go, Brock.

dream

It's kind of funny thinking about Affliction fans hearing about Brock, tuning in to Monday Night Raw SuperShow, and getting treated to -- in rapid order -- Funkasaurus Rex, Lord Tensai, and The Three Stooges.

Heel

It's kind of funny thinking about Affliction fans hearing about Brock, tuning in to Monday Night Raw SuperShow, and getting treated to -- in rapid order -- Funkasaurus Rex, Lord Tensai, and The Three Stooges.

Hahaha, dat booking.

Let me tell you, the one time they had a chance to draw me back in after a decade of dormancy was handled beautifully too. I mean, that CM Punk story line was fucking captivating.

How do you do it dream?

dream

Honestly, I watch like maybe half a show a month. Just enough for me to judge rasslegaffers. I just keep up with everything via the Observer.

dream

You will be happy to know that, while he only had one line, Brock delivered his first WWE promo with the conviction and delivery of a man who drinks Coor's Light because Bud Light won't pay him nothing. I'm glad his heel run in the Ultimate taught him how to cut a cocky heel promo.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
You will be happy to know that, while he only had one line, Brock delivered his first WWE promo with the conviction and delivery of a man who drinks Coor's Light because Bud Light won't pay him nothing. I'm glad his heel run in the Ultimate taught him how to cut a cocky heel promo.
Brock became better cutting wrestling promos, because of his UFC promos?

By god, this is the sports entertainment version of GAf ->Internet -> GAF. This is beyond crossing streams, or worlds colliding. It's the blurring of parallel realities, like Silent Hill-type shit.

Top Bottom