• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

parasight

Bishman said:
Nick Diaz is the best fight out of the Ceaser Gracie camp. He will do better than Jake.

gilbert-melendez2.jpg

TheNatural

My Member!
Alright back to home turf, whew. And I thought Fedor fans were annoying, at least he wasn't actively ruining the sport of MMA like another certain individual is for his respective sport tonight.

Anyway, I caught Ellenberger's vicious win over Shields, I wonder who he's going to get next? Fitch maybe if he wins? Rematch with Condit if he loses? Guy is really starting to make a name for himself at Welterweight, I dunno if he'll be getting a title shot anytime soon though.

Heel

kirblar said:
Look at Ellenberger's build, then look at Shield's, and tell me that Shields isn't horribly undersized in that division. The guy's starving himself because of his GSP obsession.

The problem with Shields at 170 is that his body is too big. He's not able to put enough muscle on in that division to compete with guys like GSP or Ellenberger, when they get their water weight back, they're certainly outweighing Jake by a pretty good margin. He looks tired all the time. His body's been telling him something for a long while now but he's refused to listen. Hopefully he will now.

You realize fighters are even bigger at middleweight, right? It's going to be harder to grapple, and easier to get knocked out if he moves up in weight. It's not the answer. A 6'0" welterweight isn't crazy talk...ask Diaz, Hardy, Fitch etc.

The only time he's looked tired at welterweight is his debut against Kampmann. He was making the transition back to welterweight and had to cut 20 pounds in one day. Funny, no one said anything when he went 5 rounds with GSP. It's safe to say he's adjusted.

He got hit flush on the chin with a knee guys. It had nothing to do with his weight class...it was technique that did him in. If a middleweight did that he's going down even harder.

TheNatural

My Member!
Fun fact: this weekend was the first of four straight UFC weekends.

I was distracted by some football and only watched the main event, was there anything in the undercard tonight that was particularly interesting to go back and watch?

kirblar

sien916 said:
You realize fighters are even bigger at middleweight, right? It's going to be harder to grapple, and easier to get knocked out if he moves up in weight. It's not the answer. A 6'0" welterweight isn't crazy talk...ask Diaz, Hardy, Fitch etc.

The only time he's looked tired at welterweight is his debut against Kampmann. He was making the transition back to welterweight and had to cut 20 pounds in one day. Funny, no one said anything when he went 5 rounds with GSP. It's safe to say he's adjusted.

He got hit flush on the chin with a knee guys. It had nothing to do with his weight class...it was technique that did him in. If a middleweight did that he's going down even harder.
It's not the total size that's the issue- it's the marginal weight, and he just has far less to play with because of his size.

lupinko

Now's the time to show goofy Jake Shields face from MMA Expo:

29x9hnd.jpg

Never understood why he was looking into space, but maybe the vegan diet explains it now.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
sien916 said:

Yep pretty much.

People don't seem to realize that besides Hendo pretty much everyone Shields fought at MW outside the UFC the last few years have been WW's who are too lazy to make the cut themselves.

Jake.

how long ago did shields' dad die (again, i missed the fight)? i never liked shields as a fighter but he always seemed like a really nice du - what a bummer.

yacobod

Banned
was out on the town last night so i missed the event, caught up with it this morning on dvr. gonna eat my crow, was surprised that the lesser of the 2 jakes won, but he hit him clean with that knee. i don't think jake looks too good at 170 though, he lost so much size.

but the bigger talking point coming out of the event, and i'm afraid this is just a continuation of a disturbing trend of midcard guys finishing guys who went a hard 25 minutes with gsp. but i guess it's hard to finish tough competitors.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
TheNatural said:
Fun fact: this weekend was the first of four straight UFC weekends.

I was distracted by some football and only watched the main event, was there anything in the undercard tonight that was particularly interesting to go back and watch?

Watch the FOTN. Riddle vs Benoist.

tass0

Banned
Bishman said:
Always thought Jake Shields was overrated. Welcome to the UFC.

He's been in the UFC for a year, and this was his 3rd fight.

-____-

Shields obviously shouldn't have fought tonight, I knew before the fight started that he was going to get tooled badly, just from his body language (even predicted it a minute before in #mma-tv).

His father passing away probably affected him more than we think.

Still, War Shields.

(Also, you're not overrated if you beat Carlos Condit, Yushin Okami, Paul Daley, Robbie Lawler, Jason Miller, Martin Kampmann, Mach Sakurai and Dan Henderson)

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
tass0 said:
(Also, you're not overrated if you beat Carlos Condit, Yushin Okami, Paul Daley, Robbie Lawler, Jason Miller, Martin Kampmann, Mach Sakurai and Dan Henderson)

I see 3 impressive wins there and Henderson sure as shit isn't one of them. The fact that Shields could finish a 100% gassed Hendo was actually quite pathetic.

yacobod

Banned
CaptYamato said:
Have you watched yesterdays interview? Rampage made Jones look stupid.

no man i have the event dvr'd but i have not watched that part. i'll have to check it out, but it's not really stupuid that Page is making him look stupid. Jones is vanilla and fake as fuck.

yacobod said:
no man i have the event dvr'd but i have not watched that part. i'll have to check it out, but it's not really stupuid that Page is making him look stupid. Jones is vanilla and fake as fuck.

You'll love it.

yacobod said:
you can almost hear him make a conscious effort to disguise his natural speech accent and sound more "white". it's something he's only started doing recently.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
polyh3dron said:
you can almost hear him make a conscious effort to disguise his natural speech accent and sound more "white". it's something he's only started doing recently.
jones has always talked like that. not going to opine whether it's fake or not or call him "white" or whatever the fuck.

poor shogun fans having to hang their hat on rampage for revenge. sad but really entertaining for me. reminds me of all the jones haters who thought bader was going to wreck him.

AstroLad said:
jones has always talked like that. not going to opine whether it's fake or not or call him "white" or whatever the fuck.
I beg to differ. It's subtle but compare how he spoke around the time he fought Matt Hamill and Brandon Vera to the interview he had with Joe Rogan yesterday. It sounds kind of forced. Yeah Ninja I know it's not politically correct to say it but that's what it sounds like. Kinda like Sam Worthington trying to do an American accent but with a little less success.

yacobod

Banned
AstroLad said:

poor shogun fans having to hang their hat on rampage for revenge. sad but really entertaining for me. reminds me of all the jones haters who thought bader was going to wreck him.

Are you related to mr. Jones by chance? Sad that everyone doesn't share your man love for jones?

polyh3dron said:
How dare he try to maximize his earning potential. He did get busted by Rampage, though. So long as he comes to wreck people inside those eight walls he's cool with me.

Who thought Bader would give him problems? I thought Rua would be a better fight but up till then I thought Jones would destroy whoever he fought, ever since he made Bonnar look like a child. Not that beating Bonnar means anything, but the way he did it was ridiculous, especially considering his age.

I really want Page to win, but I think he's too slow for Jones. He's got a very good puncher's chance and that's about it.

yacobod

Banned
well page has a good wrestling base, a good chin, and knockout power in both hands. so that's good enough for him to be competitive in most fights. his biggest question marks are usually his training and conditioning, but it seems like he's motivated for this fight.

i think jones is the rightful favorite, but its not out of the realm of possibilities that QRJ can win, and he may be in his head.

Heel

Starting now.

Curious to hear CM Punk's take on Sports Entertainment in MMA...easy question after the whole HHH thing, right?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
sien916 said:
Come for CM Punk, stay for the Mitrione and McCorkle minute. The last one was legendary. To give you an idea, that YouTube cuts out an Evan Tanner joke.
The Brett Rogers joke was so offensive. :p

Damn The Reem hasnt been paid for his K-1 Championship.
Reem wants his fight money.

EDIT: Neither Peter Aerts. So sad.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
McCorkle was offered to fight Arlovski @ ProElite, but Andrei turned it down. He also calls Jon Jones an Uncle Tom.

Heel

Sherdog has an audio interview with Fox Sports Co-President Eric Shanks worth checking out (MP3, starts at 37:00).

In my opinion, the original FOX press confernece didn't instill a lot of confidence that the future of the UFC was in good hands. After listening to this interview I changed my mind completely. If you had any doubts check it out. This guy isn't some out of touch big wig. He's definitely a fan of the sport and gets it.

They have an article quoting some of the talking points from the interview too... Fox Executive: Creating Stars Key to Sustainability

dis gon b good

Bitter rivals and light heavyweight headliners Jon Jones and Rampage Jackson will appear on late-night television together tonight.

This weekend, light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and former light heavyweight champion Rampage Jackson will fight in the main event of UFC 135 in Denver, and the buildup between the athletes has been nothing if not tense.

Tonight, the two will come face-to-face for the first time since the fight announcement when they appear together as guests on Jimmy Kimmel Live.

It's unknown at press time whether the third guest on the show, Dr. Phil, will be brought in to try and smooth things over between the two.

Jimmy Kimmel Live airs on ABC at midnight ET/PT.

I cannot wait.

Top Bottom