• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Dana White: Facebook Fights to End in January, All Fights Will Be Televised

Interviwer: One thing we've noticed recently is the Facebook fights. Is that going to continue with the ongoing Fox deal, or is that going to go away with the prelims and all that stuff?

Dana: Yeah it will go away when the Fox deal starts, which is in January. Because all that programming now, I mean the reason we did the Facebook fights was because nobody could see those fights. So we put them up on Facebook as an option for fans, because we always love to give more fights. But with the fact that Fox wants to pick up all these fights, they'll be on television now.

Hopefully this means FX and not Fuel TV.

parasight

Fucking excited about this Shogun/Hendo match, but I wish it was at 140 so I could see it live.

I wonder what the prelim news will mean for Canadian viewers. Will it all be on Sportsnet?

Heel

Chamber said:
Hopefully this means FX and not Fuel TV.

None of this would matter if Fuel TV was actually more widely available. I think they're using the UFC to drive provider deals so their channel is in more homes. I guess we'll find out how aggressively they use UFC content to do it.

I don't think it would be smart to use prelims on Fuel TV though...the prelim special is used to drive PPV sales. I don't see them doing prelims on Fuel TV, then making you change to FX for a prelim special either. Who knows though.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
polyh3dron said:
You guys think FX would give up 4 hours of airtime to UFC prelims on a Saturday?

I doubt it. These prelims will be on Fuel.
Wouldn't want to take time away from airing Mr. and Mrs. Smith back to back every Saturday.

Fuel TV is only available in 26 million households so that's a pretty raw deal for fans I'd say. Fuel shouldn't get anything beyond Unleashed episodes.

Fersis said:
RIP Shogun
What, you think Hendo's tireless work rate will make Shogun gas? This is exactly the kind of fighter Shogun excels against. Someone who isn't all that fast and doesn't have a bottomless gas tank.

SUPREME1

Banned
parasight said:
gilbert-melendez2.jpg

+1

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
polyh3dron said:
What, you think Hendo's tireless work rate will make Shogun gas? This is exactly the kind of fighter Shogun excels against. Someone who isn't all that fast and doesn't have a bottomless gas tank.
Participant A: Knocked Out Fedor The Last Emperor Emilianenko for the very first time
Participant B: Beat an out of shape and will Forrest Griffin

But im joking :3 Is going to be a great fight thats for sure.

SyNapSe

Watched the Fight Night event earlier today off DVR. It was decent, I knew Ellenburger had won beforehand. Jake E. landed dat knee and thay is part of the sport. Still, as people have mentioned, Shields first few takedown attempts led to him being thrown off like an 8 year old wrestling with his 17 year old brother.

ShaneB

parasight said:
Fucking excited about this Shogun/Hendo match, but I wish it was at 140 so I could see it live.

I wonder what the prelim news will mean for Canadian viewers. Will it all be on Sportsnet?

My guess is probably Sportsnet One. Or perhaps a dedicated online stream? Something at least. Hoping for the latter since I don't have Sportsnet One.

Fersis said:
Participant A: Knocked Out Fedor The Last Emperor Emilianenko for the very first time
Participant B: Beat an out of shape and will Forrest Griffin

But im joking :3 Is going to be a great fight thats for sure.
MMAth will fail you most of the time, it's all about stylistic matchups.

tass0

Banned
Brian Fellows said:
I see 3 impressive wins there and Henderson sure as shit isn't one of them. The fact that Shields could finish a 100% gassed Hendo was actually quite pathetic.

kyon_facepalm.jpg

Hendo isn't an impressive win now? (even though everybody considers him Anderson Silva's best win)

Not impressive like they both looked like crap and didn't do anything to win.

God, just remembered how fucking horrible that entire show was. How many years before I can forget that?

polyh3dron said:

IIRC he's new to MMA and Argentine, but with that said Hendo is the favorite and can obviously knock out anybody with either hand.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Oh fuck I just remembered, Shogun-Hendo is going to be a 5 rounder since it's after Leben-Munoz (the first 5 round non-title main event). Shogun's gas tank really could be a concern.

bone_and_sinew said:
Oh fuck I just remembered, Shogun-Hendo is going to be a 5 rounder since it's after Leben-Munoz (the first 5 round non-title main event). Shogun's gas tank really could be a concern.

Both fighters' gas tanks are questionable at this point in their career. Hendo didn't knock out Shields and lost because he was gassed by the 3rd. Shogun has gassed in the 1st round though, so Hendo gets the gas advantage.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Shogun's gas tank hasn't been an issue since the Mark Coleman fight. His cardio is better than Hendo's.

Hendo will be the favorite because he's on a three fight streak and the Jones loss is still fresh in everyone's mind but I'm not really impressed with a three fight streak consisting of Babalu, Feijao, and 2011 Fedor.

bone_and_sinew

Chamber said:
Shogun's gas tank hasn't been an issue since the Mark Coleman fight. His cardio is better than Hendo's.

Hendo will be the favorite because he's on a three fight streak and the Jones loss is still fresh in everyone's mind but I'm not really impressed with a three fight streak consisting of Babalu, Feijao, and 2011 Fedor.
Shogun has opened up as the favorite at -160, Hendo is at +130 per Bookmaker.eu

AranhaHunter said:
Both fighters' gas tanks are questionable at this point in their career. Hendo didn't knock out Shields and lost because he was gassed by the 3rd. Shogun has gassed in the 1st round though, so Hendo gets the gas advantage.
Hendo gassed because of the weight cut. He's not cutting any weight at LHW.

agrajag

Banned
Chamber said:

He almost got pounded out by Fedor too.

Chamber said:

I disagree with both of your assertions.

Cerrius said:
When the hell is Lyoto getting a match?

I would guess Gustafsson or Davis before the end of the year, most likely Gustafsson though.

What was the last fight that Henderson didn't knock down or knock out his opponent? Franklin?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Dysun said:
Why is the UFC keen on Machida/Davis.

That has snoozefest written all over it
Because Phil Davis is 5-0 in the UFC and deserves a step up in competition and Lyoto is 2 wins away from a title shot. It's a match that makes perfect sense even though it's probably going to be a snoozer.

Heel

Who should Machida fight so you don't perceive it as boring? You guys amaze me sometimes. He just fucking crane kicked a legend into retirement.

Don't sleep on Phil Davis either. I mean, who does this? If he can develop his hands like Cormier he's a dangerous man. Keep in mind his first pro fight was 3 years ago.

Classic striker vs. wrestler match up on the highest level. What do you want?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Boring because most of us expect Machida to walk all over Davis. Phil's stand-up game is still pretty raw and Lyoto's TDD is elite. It's a horrible match-up for Davis stylistically.

I hate how we're edging closer and closer to a world where the Unified Rules are all that's left, but damn the UFC monopoly is resulting in great fight after great fight after great fight. It's crazy.

bone_and_sinew

Yeah, the MMA universe is coalescing. I stopped watching boxing and college football because of the politics and fragmentation, it makes me more excited for MMA to see it all come together so fast. 2 years ago, Overeem vs Lesnar was a pipe dream.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
sien916 said:
Who should Machida fight so you don't perceive it as boring? You guys amaze me sometimes. He just fucking crane kicked a legend into retirement.

Don't sleep on Phil Davis either. I mean, who does this? If he can develop his hands like Cormier he's a dangerous man. Keep in mind his first pro fight was 3 years ago.

Classic striker vs. wrestler match up on the highest level. What do you want?

Cormier's first fight was two years ago. So what excuse does Davis have?

agrajag

Banned
bone_and_sinew said:
Yeah, the MMA universe is coalescing. I stopped watching boxing and college football because of the politics and fragmentation, it makes me more excited for MMA to see it all come together so fast. 2 years ago, Overeem vs Lesnar was a pipe dream.

2 years ago people were saying Overeem is nothing more than a roided up can crusher

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
sien916 said:
None of this would matter if Fuel TV was actually more widely available. I think they're using the UFC to drive provider deals so their channel is in more homes. I guess we'll find out how aggressively they use UFC content to do it.

I don't think it would be smart to use prelims on Fuel TV though...the prelim special is used to drive PPV sales. I don't see them doing prelims on Fuel TV, then making you change to FX for a prelim special either. Who knows though.

I'm sure the UFC content will cause alot of providers to pick up Fuel. Sadly my little Podunk provider won't be one of them.

bone_and_sinew

If I had to guess, they'll put a bulk of the prelims on FUEL TV but two of them will be on FX. So think Facebook fights--->Fuel TV, Spike TV fights--->FX.

Top Bottom