• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

yacobod

Banned
Phil davis vs machida on paper is a terrible fight. Despite his wrestling credentials, mr. Wonderful's wrestling looks pedestrian in the octagon. He had a hard time taking down diet nog, and his shot is weak, he does not have that relentless pursuit of tds like sonnen. And his hands are fucking garbage, and he doesn't react well to being hit. I'm no fan of machida, but this should be an easy win for him.

polyh3dron said:
I beg to differ. It's subtle but compare how he spoke around the time he fought Matt Hamill and Brandon Vera to the interview he had with Joe Rogan yesterday. It sounds kind of forced. Yeah Ninja I know it's not politically correct to say it but that's what it sounds like. Kinda like Sam Worthington trying to do an American accent but with a little less success.

Just clicked on the link and thought I'd quickly comment; I went to high school with Jones, and I definitely heard a difference in his speaking "tendencies" I guess you could say. Still, not a drastic change, but the media I've seen more recently he seems to be trying to appeal to folks, the nature of his exposure at this point. He's huge, or so it seems. I don't follow MMA, but I thought it was a bit strange as well.

bone_and_sinew said:
If I had to guess, they'll put a bulk of the prelims on FUEL TV but two of them will be on FX. So think Facebook fights--->Fuel TV, Spike TV fights--->FX.
Unfortunately you're probably right.

Dysun

sien916 said:
Who should Machida fight so you don't perceive it as boring? You guys amaze me sometimes. He just fucking crane kicked a legend into retirement.

Don't sleep on Phil Davis either. I mean, who does this? If he can develop his hands like Cormier he's a dangerous man. Keep in mind his first pro fight was 3 years ago.

Classic striker vs. wrestler match up on the highest level. What do you want?
I'd rather see Machida fight someone else, he has a 3 round unanimous decision in the bag vs Davis. Phil cant strike with him and Phil couldnt take down a fresh Lil Nog, no way he takes down Machida.

Id like to see Machida just wait for the loser or Bones/Rampage at this point. Although Rampage/Machida 2 isnt that great either, but I would have liked Machida/Shogun 3 or Machida/Hendo but then they booked them to fight each other...

yacobod

Banned
Honestly the best fight would've been a rashad/machida title eliminator. I wouldn't mind seeing another stanky leg like in the op.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Machida had two (actually three) consecutive losses and then beat a semi-retired Randy. I don't know why anyone thinks he deserves a title eliminator.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Chamber said:
Machida had two (actually three) consecutive losses and then beat a semi-retired Randy. I don't know why anyone thinks he deserves a title eliminator.

Actually three?

Then let's say two then, he lost twice against Shogun but won against Rampage. Don't hate.

yacobod

Banned
Chamber said:

Well I don't think he deserves a title shot, but since when do you need to be deserving to get a shot in the ufc. Stylistically I don't think the matchup with davis is worth a shit, and does rashad deserve a shot for beating tito?

A rashad/machida rematch is at least interesting on a ton of levels. It would be a good test for rashad to see if he's even improved.

205 isn't deep, so the list of title contenders is small atm.

yacobod said:
Stylistically I don't think the matchup with davis is worth a shit, and does rashad deserve a shot for beating tito?

Rashad beat Thiago Silva, Rampage and Tito in a row, in a division you say isn't deep, wouldn't that string qualify for a title shot?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
WrikaWrek said:
Actually three?

Then let's say two then, he lost twice against Shogun but won against Rampage. Don't hate.
No hate at all. The Rampage fight was a tight decision. The first Shogun fight was a clear robbery.

yacobod said:
Well I don't think he deserves a title shot, but since when do you need to be deserving to get a shot in the ufc. Stylistically I don't think the matchup with davis is worth a shit, and does rashad deserve a shot for beating tito?

A rashad/machida rematch is at least interesting on a ton of levels. It would be a good test for rashad to see if he's even improved.

205 isn't deep, so the list of title contenders is small atm.
I know 205 is shallow but Rashad has the longest win streak among the contenders (a whopping 3) so he's clearly next in line.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Reem just tweeted:
Reem said:
I would like to make a statement regarding the recent news of the separation from my long-time management Golden Glory.
As with any relationship, there are good times and bad times - you have your common ground and your differences.
As with any relationship, you have trust. When differences lead to a breach of trust, there's no turning back and no way to continue a positive, working relationship. I don't air my dirty laundry.
I would appreciate the respect regarding my privacy to not disclose any further details on this matter.
Again, I would like to thank team Golden Glory for all the years we worked together and wish them success for the future.

MINOWAMAN RETURNS THIS WEEKEND!

http://mmajunkie.com/news/25303/dre...kuhisa-minowa-vs-baru-harn-at-open-weight.mma

AGAINST BARU HARN:

cxkbs.jpg

Also Eddie Alvarez is out against Michael Chandler: http://mmafighting.com/2011/09/20/eddie-alvarez-out-of-title-fight-at-bellator-54/

smurfx

get some go again
Fersis said:
Reem just tweeted:
hmm looks like dana white might of offered him a ton of money to get away from them. that or he found out they were fucking him out of a bunch of money.

Ugh, leaving GG? Moving to LA? Reem is not going to be the same without Golden Glory behind him, calling it now.

Speaking of LA, there's a press conference for the UFC on Fox: Cain vs. JDS event at the W Hotel in Hollywood which is open to the public today at 1pm local time. I'm gonna go over there on my lunch break

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Greg Jackson based Reem.
All stamina, all wrasslin', all decisions. BELIEVE... i mean BEREEM.

tass0

Banned
GG has nothing left to offer Overeem, and they fucked with his career when he was (briefly) cut by Zuffa.

Overeem will be a Greg Jackson fight within 2 months, I'm calling it now.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Reem wants to be train around LA so I could see him joining Kings MMA or Reign Training Center. Another good spot might be that camp Rashad started but that's out in Florida.

Kind of agree he's gone as far as he can with GG.

Heel

sazabirules said:
Cormier's first fight was two years ago. So what excuse does Davis have?

They're both on atypical career trajectories using different styles. You can't expect fighters to be world-class in every category in a few years time. No excuses needed for outrageous expectations.

Apparently everyone is severely underrating Phil Davis on here. If you think Machida is going to blow through him you have another thing coming. He's a freak and only getting better.

If you non-believers want to break the Lil' Nog performance down, how about you realize when he switched to single legs after the first round he basically got takedowns at will?

The doors to the Wonderful Bus are closed to you suckas in the future!

Fifty

UFC fan press conference drinking game..take one shot whenever some bum asks for tickets. Imminent death will result.

yacobod

Banned
Why hold the fighters to a higher standard when dana mcmahon dresses like a fucking bum? Same goes for rogan he wears that same black button down every event he wore out to the strip club the night before.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
yacobod said:
Why hold the fighters to a higher standard when dana mcmahon dresses like a fucking bum? Same goes for rogan he wears that same black button down every event he wore out to the strip club the night before.
Cei0j.jpg

yacobod said:
Hey DW has been known to wear suits.

Top Bottom