• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

yacobod said:
Why hold the fighters to a higher standard when dana mcmahon dresses like a fucking bum? Same goes for rogan he wears that same black button down every event he wore out to the strip club the night before.

dana dresses like a bum? c'mon, his more casual approach is what i like about him the most. he really cares and is no interchangeable suit.

yacobod

Banned
Well wand might be in a winnable fight. He's going to have pride flashbacks of fighting some asian tomato cans and rage.

SANDSTORM!

Salih

winner of wandy/chung le should fight vitor.

therefore....WAR WANDY!

btw. i met wandy at gamescom this year. got a picture with him and an autograph. dude is like the coolest person on this planet.

yacobod

Banned
Salih said:
winner of wandy/chung le should fight vitor.

therefore....WAR WANDY!
If u like wand u don't want him to fight vitor because he will be violently kod, and we might have our first in cage death :(

Heel

Dana White just sent a clear message regarding the Sports Entertainment era.

"When you get guys with great personalities, guys that can speak English, and the list goes on and on, it's a plus. It's like the icing on the cake. But the reality is people don't tune in to see these guys speak. They're not going to go on the mic and give big speeches. They tune in to watch fights. And as long as I have guys who show up in shape and ready to fight and put on great fights, I could care less if they speak English or if they can even speak at all. They can be mutes for all I care."

Also worth mentioning that during the press conference prior he said, "Reality is better than any script you could ever write."

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
sien916 said:
Dana White just sent a clear message regarding the Sports Entertainment era.

"When you get guys with great personalities, guys that can speak English, and the list goes on and on, it's a plus. It's like the icing on the cake. But the reality is people don't tune in to see these guys speak. They're not going to go on the mic and give big speeches. They tune in to watch fights. And as long as I have guys who show up in shape and ready to fight and put on great fights, I could care less if they speak English or if they can even speak at all. They can be mutes for all I care."

Also worth mentioning that during the press conference prior he said, "Reality is better than any script you could ever write."

dream said:
fucking christ Zuffa, hire a stylist

dream is not pleased

yacobod

Banned
Dana says a lot of things but at the end of the day he cares about ppv buyrates and getting butts in the seats. Guys like jon fitch and johhny hendicks don't really do that.

Combat sports are only as succesful as the stars of the era, it will be interesting to see how the fox deal changes the landscape, but personality and entertainment might be even more crucial to hitting the critical mass moving forward.

Even team sports like basketball pushes its stars.

dream

Of course Dana's going to say that. That's how he justifies having the U Fight Cheap roster of Clay "Heavy Metal" Halvinson, Jim Miller, and Justin "Fast Eddy" Edwards.

Try to sell a PPV with those jobbers and see how fast you change your tune, sir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM-fd8_0vKw

Pretty good interview with Rampage by Bas Rutten. Its pretty much a "general thoughts" kind of thing. Rampage is asked if he would prefer fighting in prime PRIDE or UFC and his thoughts on Jones, Shogun and Wanderlei and he goes a little more in depth about why he fights for the money.

*edit*

It was a separated into 3 parts
part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKtboTilQL0&feature=relmfu
part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A18pZc01SE

He has a good Hogan impression.

Salih

yacobod said:
If u like wand u don't want him to fight vitor because he will be violently kod, and we might have our first in cage death :(

maybe you're right. but i really wanna see him getting his revenge. :(

The men's NBA doesn't have teams, just stars. Glad Cung Le is getting his title eliminator. Cung Le by any move he used in Pandorum in the second round.

Jon Jones with the pubic hair joke. Ugh. His cockiness/corniness/phoniness is legit, but as long as he fights the way he does he's alright by me.

Sports entertainment question!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
CaptYamato said:
Wait Jones did what?
Actually did a real staredown for once.

Jones-Rampage_staredown_presser_large.jpg

agrajag

Banned
On one hand, I am happy for Overeem to be training in the states. On another hand, I'm kind of bummed that he probably won't be training with his old team anymore, Martin Dejong got him to where he is, and I would've liked for him to train with JOE more. I hope he doesn't go to Kings MMA though, he needs to go somewhere where he can practice wrestling.

yacobod

Banned
Prediction for 2012, after getting smashhhed by brock, reem is going to go train at deathclutch ala okami with sonnen and team quest.

agrajag

Banned
Prediction for 2012, after Overeem makes Brock breakdance, troll-poster-yacobod will move the goalposts once more and still bash Overeem.

yacobod

Banned
agrajag said:
Prediction for 2012, after Overeem makes Brock breakdance, troll-poster-yacobod will move the goalposts once more and still bash Overeem.

I'm not the one going into preemptive damage control about my favorite personality switching camps.

agrajag

Banned
What damage control? I'm just realistic about fighters I support. Overeem has never fought a wrestler of Brock's caliber. He will need to be prepared for it. Just like any other fighter should be well trained, you're just being an idiot like you always are when the topic of Overeem is brought up.

Heel

Overeem is training with Mark Munoz at Reign Training Center. I don't know if it's permanent. JDS used Mark Munoz and Phil Davis for wrestling training in the past.

CaptYamato said:
He would get smashed there, that is why he doesn't.

93FV5.jpg

agrajag

Banned
I had no idea JDS was that tall, I always thought he was a small-ish HW. He did look considerably larger than Cain at their faceoff.

yacobod

Banned
I do agree with sien tho, jones could fight at hw in the ufc no problem, the only guys id put above him are the guys fighting for the title on november 12.
pitbull-caught-a-bone-andrei-arlovski-training-with-jon-jones-for-strikeforce-heavyweight-tournament.jpg

Heel

CaptYamato said:
He'd still get smashed because his reach won't be that much of a factor. So his sloppy form will be exposed.

His reach is still longer than any heavyweight, and unlike someone like Struve he actually uses it. He'd be dangerous at heavyweight without even gaining muscle mass. Speed kills.

agrajag

Banned
I think the perspectives are kind of skewed in these pics. He looks larger than Arlovski, but he looks a lot scrawnier than JDS in the other pic. And JDS weighs in at what, 240lbs?

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Jones makes every LHW look like a midget. Dayum.

This is gonna be a tough fight for Rampage. Still rootin for him though.

Top Bottom