• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

agrajag

Banned
rumble-june.jpg

Heel

agrajag said:
I think the perspectives are kind of skewed in these pics. He looks larger than Arlovski, but he looks a lot scrawnier than JDS in the other pic. And JDS weighs in at what, 240lbs?

Bones' chicken legs skew things too...he's very top heavy. JDS and Arlovski usually weigh in around 240. Plus that JDS/Bones picture was taken yesterday, so he's probably closer to fight weight.

agrajag

Banned
sien916 said:
Bones' chicken legs skew things too...he's very top heavy. JDS and Arlovski usually weigh in around 240. Plus that JDS/Bones picture was taken yesterday, so he's probably closer to fight weight.

Look how much thicker JDS's arms are and also his frame. Although Bones is slightly turned, so that might play tricks with my perception.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
http://mmaweekly.com/dan-henderson-...ets-next-shot-at-the-title-after-rashad-evans

Wait what? Did I read this right? Winner of Hendo/Shogun gets title shot? That's grade A bullshit. I have no desire to see Shogun get destroyed by Jones again anytime soon. It should've been Machida vs Henderson from the get-go. I suspect politics prevented this from happening.

1. Stylistically, Shogun is a far easier matchup for Hendo than Lyoto. It's also a more "spectator friendly" match.

2. Dana must still be butthurt about the "Anderson Silva money" request.

Heel

agrajag said:
Look how much thicker JDS's arms are and also his frame. Although Bones is slightly turned, so that might play tricks with my perception.

I'm sure he has at least 20 pounds on him. Just posted the picture to prove Bones could easily make the leap to heavyweight with his height and reach. He has a 7.5" reach advantage on JDS and Cain.

TheNatural

My Member!
Cerrius said:
http://mmaweekly.com/dan-henderson-...ets-next-shot-at-the-title-after-rashad-evans

Wait what? Did I read this right? Winner of Hendo/Shogun gets title shot? That's grade A bullshit. I have no desire to see Shogun get destroyed by Jones again anytime soon. It should've been Machida vs Henderson from the get-go. I suspect politics prevented this from happening.

1. Stylistically, Shogun is a far easier matchup for Hendo than Lyoto. It's also a more "spectator friendly" match.

2. Dana must still be butthurt about the "Anderson Silva money" request.

Shogun looks a lot better, and ring rust is a pretty big deal. What has Machida done the last 4 fights? He beat Randy, and then the previous 3 fights you could make a case he lost all three (definitely one of course) counting the first Shogun fight screwiness.

Besides, Lyoto had the shot against Rashad and turned it down, it's on him he's down the queue for a title shot. No one to blame but himself.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
TheNatural said:
Shogun looks a lot better, and ring rust is a pretty big deal. What has Machida done the last 4 fights? He beat Randy, and then the previous 3 fights you could make a case he lost all three (definitely one of course) counting the first Shogun fight screwiness.

Besides, Lyoto had the shot against Rashad and turned it down, it's on him he's down the queue for a title shot. No one to blame but himself.
Have to agree with Natural (smh).

There's zero argument for Machida being ranked above Shogun.

Heel

Clearly Machida is being punished for asking for Anderson Silva money.

If Shogun/Hendo is for #1 contender, what is Rashad waiting around for? I don't buy it.

thefro

sien916 said:
Clearly Machida is being punished for asking for Anderson Silva money.

If Shogun/Hendo is for #1 contender, what is Rashad waiting around for? I don't buy it.

Evans gets the next shot... Shogun/Hendo is for the shot after that.

Heel

Chamber said:
Machida is being punished for losing 3 fights in a row, not for the Anderson Silva money issue.

The punishment is having to wait around most of the year only to lose again to Phil Davis. :)

thefro said:
Evans gets the next shot... Shogun/Hendo is for the shot after that.

The timing seems way off to me. I doubt Jones/Evans happens in 2011. How long do they expect these guys to wait around?

Machida/Davis + Shogun/Hendo should be a mini tournament for #1 contender.

yacobod

Banned
Cerrius still sour that machida lost twice to shogun and the second time got his head spiked like a volleyball.

Shogun/hendo will be a war, 2 guys who always come out to fight.

TheNatural

My Member!
Also if you heard the presser earlier, one of the last questions was by a fan asking something about Strikeforce, couldn't really hear him. Dana said it's up to Showtime if Strikeforce continues or not.

Strikeforce’s future will likely be decided in the next month.

The promotion, which was purchased by Zuffa earlier this year, currently airs on Showtime and according to UFC President Dana White it’s up to them if they decide to renew their contract to air the show on the network.

Currently, Strikeforce’s deal with Showtime is rumored to run through the first quarter of 2012.

UFC President Dana White stated when speaking with MMAWeekly.com says that there is a deadline when Showtime could renew the deal.

“I think it’s another month,” White said when asked how much time remains until the deadline. “It depends on whether these guys still want to be in the business or not.”

Ultimately, White put the onus on them to decide Strikeforce’s fate.

“Who knows what’s going to happen. The way that this thing works is it depends on Showtime,” White said on Wednesday. “Ball’s in their court. They’re going to decide if they want to keep Strikeforce around or not. We’re not, they will.”

http://mmaweekly.com/showtime-has-another-month-to-decide-if-they-will-keep-strikeforce-or-not

Shocker that Showtime hasn't said anything and likely won't renew, after UFC has taken basically all of its major fighters (Shields, Mayhem, Diaz, Overeem, and now Henderson), and only has two fighters with belts now: Rockhold and Melendez. Melendez is next in line to goto UFC no matter what, but Strikeforce is obviously done. Who would want to sign a deal with a company that has had all of it's top talent siphoned off? Hell they could just push Pro Elite, which CBS/Showtime has a stake in, with similar guys in Strikeforce now. Guys that will probably end up there ANYWAY when Strikeforce folds and cuts are made.

All this begs the question though: why even buy Strikeforce out anyway? They were about to collapse on their own accord with some of those ridiculous deals, buying them to collapse them and signing a handful of fighters doesn't make much sense to me. Seems like a waste of money to buy an organization that was going to collapse on it's own anyway, and fighters who could have gotten deals with the UFC regardless. Then again, I don't know how much they paid for it, but any significant amount was a waste.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
sien916 said:
The timing seems way off to me. I doubt Jones/Evans happens in 2011. How long do they expect these guys to wait around?

Well Okami beat Nate in November 2010 and didn't get his title shot until August. It's feasible that the Shogun/Hendo winner could get their title fight by June.

TheNatural said:
Seems like a waste of money to buy an organization that was going to collapse on it's own anyway, and fighters who could have gotten deals with the UFC regardless.
If they had waited around for Strikeforce to slowly die, the top guys would have split between Japan, Bellator or ProElite. I'd imagine getting all those heavyweights in a tough position where there is no strong alternative for them to all go to along with the libraries made it worth it. Also, the appeal of making it seem to top fighters that all roads lead to the UFC so why waste time going somewhere else is powerful. Finally, the timing of the impending new network deal made having the additional big names imperative.

Levito

Banned
yacobod said:
Cerrius still sour that machida lost twice to shogun and the second time got his head spiked like a volleyball.

Shogun/hendo will be a war, 2 guys who always come out to fight.

It really is a bit of a dream fight for me, 2 Pride Legends finally being able to go at it. Giving the edge to Hendo though, his wrestling should give him a big advantage.

Winner of that fight should definitely face the winner of Rashad/Jones or Rampage.

Heel

Chamber said:
Well Okami beat Nate in November 2010 and didn't get his title shot until August. It's feasible that the Shogun/Hendo winner could their title fight by June.

You've got a point. I hate how 3 fights a year turns into 2 or 1 once you reach the top of the division. Keep the cream of the crop out there fighting if they're healthy.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
sien916 said:
You've got a point. I hate how 3 fights a year turns into 2 or 1 once you reach the top of the division. Keep the cream of the crop out there fighting if they're healthy.
I agree in theory but to be honest, the only weight division that can produce three legit contenders in 1 calendar year is 155. Hell, 265 can barely produce one and 205 looks like the same 5 guys trading the belt around.

Heel

Chamber said:
I agree in theory but to be honest, the only weight division that can produce three legit contenders in 1 calendar year is 155. Hell, 265 can barely produce one and 205 looks like the same 5 guys trading the belt around.

Yeah, I guess part of the game is building legit contenders and a marketable title fight. This goes back to the whole "clean out the division" thing. How's that going to happen when the system is designed to always have a new one ready?

desa

polyh3dron said:
Faber, Cruz, Mighty Mouse, KID, Bowles, Torres

lol wut

Seriously. That weight class just got introduced. Give it time and you'll see loads of talent. The heavyweight division is the worst by far. Bunch of slow gassing dudes with little technique, but I do love me a heavyweight knockout.

yacobod

Banned
desa said:
Seriously. That weight class just got introduced. Give it time and you'll see loads of talent. The heavyweight division is the worst by far. Bunch of slow gassing dudes with little technique, but I do love me a heavyweight knockout.

ya in a few years im sure it will, but right now its shallow as fuck. and that list of guys poly listed are a bunch of also rans.

dream

People are going to be quick to jump down his throat, and the stuff about we don’t have to evolve and if anyone does it’s them has made him kind of a laughing stock, but his big picture view is valid. Sports are entertainment and everyone working in sports knows it and it’s not a dirty word. And some UFC fights are boring, so are some WWE matches. Inherently, pro wrestling done well should be more popular than UFC except at the highest level, like a few major fights a year, just like pro wrestling was always more popular than boxing, except at the highest level. It appeals to a wider demo and it’s easier to understand. Or at least it should be. The fact it’s not and right now it isn’t, and the fact it can’t promote better rivalries and feuds and create and protect more big stars with the inherent advantage of scripting is something WWE and TNA need to look at themselves and ask why a company that has the disadvantage of having some limitations of reality, using a lot of fighters who completely don’t get it when it comes to marketing themselves, and can’t fully protect its stars or control its booking still has beaten two wrestling companies with hours of prime time national television at what wrestling should be doing best. The fact that almost everyone sees it and HHH made that statement was going to make him look bad to so many. As far as evolving the in-ring product because of UFC, it’s been happening to a small degree for 15 years, but I don’t think anyone thinks WWE should change the in-ring aspect of the product to a great degree to become a worked version of a UFC fight. You can add little aspects of it like guys like Bryan have done with their wrestling but it’s still a pro wrestling match. Where UFC has left WWE in the dust is in the building up of big matches, and in that regard, they over the past few years have done pro wrestling better than pro wrestling and pro wrestling is the one with more control of their product. There are things each can learn from the other because his criticism of a lot of UFC promos is valid. One of the things the a lot of the fighters need to learn is how to sell themselves. While there are exceptions, the fighters who are best at doing so are the ones who grew up watching pro wrestling. The products in-ring are and should be completely different. That’s to the advantage of WWE because they can maximize drama. Their product has more appeal to children. It’s easier to export because the stars can work dates overseas and it doesn’t take nearly as much understanding to enjoy pro wrestling as it does a real American sport. But the selling of the product is very similar. You need to make people care about the combatants and believe there is significance and meaning in what happens, and create new stars. The idea that WWE needs to change to becoming a shoot is preposterous, or that their matches should be worked versions of UFC matches. But pro wrestling shouldn’t be a distant second in making you interested in seeing matches. The fact they haven’t done a good job in that regard is a very valid criticism of WWE versus UFC.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
dream said:
People are going to be quick to jump down his throat, and the stuff about we don’t have to evolve and if anyone does it’s them has made him kind of a laughing stock, but his big picture view is valid. Sports are entertainment and everyone working in sports knows it and it’s not a dirty word. And some UFC fights are boring, so are some WWE matches. Inherently, pro wrestling done well should be more popular than UFC except at the highest level, like a few major fights a year, just like pro wrestling was always more popular than boxing, except at the highest level. It appeals to a wider demo and it’s easier to understand. Or at least it should be. The fact it’s not and right now it isn’t, and the fact it can’t promote better rivalries and feuds and create and protect more big stars with the inherent advantage of scripting is something WWE and TNA need to look at themselves and ask why a company that has the disadvantage of having some limitations of reality, using a lot of fighters who completely don’t get it when it comes to marketing themselves, and can’t fully protect its stars or control its booking still has beaten two wrestling companies with hours of prime time national television at what wrestling should be doing best. The fact that almost everyone sees it and HHH made that statement was going to make him look bad to so many. As far as evolving the in-ring product because of UFC, it’s been happening to a small degree for 15 years, but I don’t think anyone thinks WWE should change the in-ring aspect of the product to a great degree to become a worked version of a UFC fight. You can add little aspects of it like guys like Bryan have done with their wrestling but it’s still a pro wrestling match. Where UFC has left WWE in the dust is in the building up of big matches, and in that regard, they over the past few years have done pro wrestling better than pro wrestling and pro wrestling is the one with more control of their product. There are things each can learn from the other because his criticism of a lot of UFC promos is valid. One of the things the a lot of the fighters need to learn is how to sell themselves. While there are exceptions, the fighters who are best at doing so are the ones who grew up watching pro wrestling. The products in-ring are and should be completely different. That’s to the advantage of WWE because they can maximize drama. Their product has more appeal to children. It’s easier to export because the stars can work dates overseas and it doesn’t take nearly as much understanding to enjoy pro wrestling as it does a real American sport. But the selling of the product is very similar. You need to make people care about the combatants and believe there is significance and meaning in what happens, and create new stars. The idea that WWE needs to change to becoming a shoot is preposterous, or that their matches should be worked versions of UFC matches. But pro wrestling shouldn’t be a distant second in making you interested in seeing matches. The fact they haven’t done a good job in that regard is a very valid criticism of WWE versus UFC.
iTAsv9Na7MIA.gif

Heel

dream said:

PJfh9.jpg

sien916 said:
The punishment is having to wait around most of the year only to lose again to Phil Davis. :)

Shogun beat Machida twice and embarrassed Forrest Griffin, while Hendo just TKO'd Fedor. Machida lost 3 straight and then KO'd a senior citizen. Shogun/Hendo is a much more logical #1 contender match IMO.

dream said:
111sd1f.jpg

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
polyh3dron said:
Shogun beat Machida twice and Hendo just TKO'd Fedor. Machida lost 3 straight and then KO'd a senior citizen. Shogun/Hendo is a much more logical #1 contender match IMO.

If Shogun beat Machida twice them Machida didn't lose to Rampage.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Sinatar said:
If Shogun beat Machida twice them Machida didn't lose to Rampage.
Maybe in your eyes and a lot of other eyes but the only eyes that matter here are Dana's and he thinks Machida lost three in a row.

systematic

Unconfirmed Member
TheNatural said:
All this begs the question though: why even buy Strikeforce out anyway? They were about to collapse on their own accord with some of those ridiculous deals, buying them to collapse them and signing a handful of fighters doesn't make much sense to me. Seems like a waste of money to buy an organization that was going to collapse on it's own anyway, and fighters who could have gotten deals with the UFC regardless. Then again, I don't know how much they paid for it, but any significant amount was a waste.

Various groups were looking to purchase Strikeforce, which probably forced Zuffa to act quickly. Like this one: http://mmajunkie.com/news/22812/sou...likely-hastened-by-other-interested-buyer.mma

TheNatural

My Member!
systematic said:
Various groups were looking to purchase Strikeforce, which probably forced Zuffa to act quickly. Like this one: http://mmajunkie.com/news/22812/sou...likely-hastened-by-other-interested-buyer.mma

Maybe that's so, I wouldn't have trusted any other company to be real competition for UFC anyway. If they don't keep a good chunk of these fighters in the UFC in some way, it seems like a waste. But then again, does anyone really want to see guys like Robbie Lawler, Tim Kennedy, Evangelista Cyborg and shit? There's only so far down that barrel you can go - it's a thin squad, especially without the women.

Top Bottom