• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

DKehoe

Fersis said:
Only one person can beat Bone Jones... yes you know who im talking about
Jones has already met his match.
Now with nothing more left to prove Matt Hammill has retired.

EDIT: Was Roger Gracie not at ADCC because of the King Mo knockout?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Oh they fought already?
Ok the Era of Bones Jones has begun. All praise the lord.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
DKehoe said:
I think Bonnar is actually the only guy to win a round against him though.

And that was an extremely slow and sluggish Bonnar coming off reconstructive knee surgery and a 14 month layoff. Obviously he'd tool Bones at 100%. :)

dream

I just watched the Sakuraba fight.

Fuck DREAM for letting him fight.

I hope something terrible happens to force a ban of non-Zuffa MMA in Japan.

tass0

Banned
dream said:
I just watched the Sakuraba fight.

Fuck DREAM for letting him fight.

I hope something terrible happens to force a ban of non-Zuffa MMA in Japan.

Fuck you, man. DREAM 17 was great.

I mean, other than Sakuraba and Caol Uno being destroyed by the young guns.

But hey, blame Sakuraba, the man doesn't want to quit fighting, if his ear being detached from his head won't do it, nothing will. (except death, maybe)

dream

That's the problem...there's no conscience in Japanese MMA to keep him from fighting.

I realize the business has been teetering on the edge of bankruptcy for the past few years but, goddamn, it's not like Saku will draw money for you after he dies in the ring.

TheNatural

My Member!
OK so how fucked up is this situation about UFC and it's TV deals. Apparently Spike TV still has rights to UFC's past fights in 2012, but also can't show any other MMA like Bellator while they hold the rights. And Dana has no interest in buying back the TV rights for next year.

So what does Spike do? No shocker here:

On Nov. 12, Spike TV will air a "UFC Unleashed" marathon - dubbed "Dos Santos vs. Velasquez: Unleashed for the Heavyweight Title" - featuring past fights with UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez and Junior Dos Santos.

Not surprisingly, the marathon begins just as Velasquez and Dos Santos fight at UFC on FOX 1, the UFC's first show on network TV.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/9/2...-air-velasquez-dos-santos-marathon-during-fox

I don't know that it matters much, maybe kind of a dick move though, because someone somewhere will probably be confused by the old fights being reshown when the big one is going down on FOX. I guess this might be Spike's thing for the next year: show marathons of old fights featuring fighters fighting that night, if they don't want to relinquish TV rights to bring Bellator on.

AiTM

Banned
As heavy as they are going to market it as being on Fox, I really dont see anyone getting tricked. Especially given UFCs demographic. Not like its 70 year old guys trying to work the remote.

sien916 said:
Not that shocking really. Spike tried to counter-program Live on Versus 4, which was supposed to be headlined by Marquardt, with a replay of Fight Night 22: Marquardt vs. Palhares. Guess what happened?

UFC on Versus 4 ratings worse than Spike TV broadcast of 'Marquardt vs Palhares'

Not saying Spike will beat them in the ratings, but I'm sure hundreds of thousands of casual fans will be "fooled" and put a dent in the FOX ratings.
Versus not being on Dish probably has a hand in that though. Stupid Dish.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I think it'll be insignificant. More people have Spike than Versus and the marketing for UFC on Fox is going to be insane.

Heel

Ninja Scooter said:
Versus not being on Dish probably has a hand in that though. Stupid Dish.

Good point. I wouldn't be surprised if they got a couple hundred thousand to watch though. Shitty ratings tactic but they've got a job to do over there. I wouldn't expect them to air a Bar Rescue marathon.

TheNatural

My Member!
yacobod said:
See I'm not the only guy who thinks Nate Diaz is going to be a force back at 155. The mainstream media is running with it too.

They pointed out him not being ranked, and I hate these fucking rankings, and I'll tell you why:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/rankings

Why the hell is BJ Penn rated 6th at welterweight and 11th at lightweight? The guy has obviously made clear he is no longer fighting in the lightweight division, but they always list guys who have fought in two divisions. Kenny Florian is 21st in lightweight and 4th at featherweight, even though he's fighting Aldo in two weeks. It makes no sense to list a fighter twice, just list them at what weight they intend to continue with in the future and be done with it.

yacobod

Banned
polyh3dron said:
lol no, Nate gets decisioned by any good wrestler in the division.

he can be competitive though, he has a split decision loss and a victory over lay praynard, arguably the best wrestler in the division.

i'm not saying he's going to be champ, but i think he can be a top 5 guy there and provide some entertainment. nobody is going to finish him.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Well Nate lost 3 of his last 4 fights at 155 before beating Gomi who's now 1-3 in the UFC. With that information we can safely conclude Diaz is the next champion at LW.

yacobod

Banned
Chamber said:
Well Nate lost 3 of his last 4 fights at 155 before beating Gomi who's now 1-3 in the UFC. With that information we can safely conclude Diaz is the next champion at LW.

Did I say he was going to be champ? I guess expecting reading comprehension from a canadian is too much.

Kayo-kun

Dream 17 was absolutely amazing and watching it after UFC 135 made me appreciate it even more. They should really start producing more shows now that they got some of their issues solved, since the fights in Japan are far more entertaining. JMMA over all.

Anderson is smooth. He looks good in a suit.

and question. Since Bones is in the athlete section does that mean that Nate Diaz has to go there too?

yacobod

Banned
CaptYamato said:
and question. Since Bones is in the athlete section does that mean that Nate Diaz has to go there too?

the list is fluid and it will be updated organically. if the people demand a change, i'm not so rigid that we can't make some changes. hell if JBJ finishes his next 2 or 3 opponents he might get moved to the athletes section.

anythings possible.

yacobod

Banned
CaptYamato said:
Nate Diaz needs to be in the athlete section since he is cutting a crap load of weight which gives him an unfair advantage.

pretty sure after JBJ finishes off rashad in his next title defense, GSP will be the only athlete remaining. GSP fans will like that :), but they probably won't like it as much as watching their mancrush spar with his training partner for 25 minutes on October 27th.

I will take moving Frankie out of the athletes section under advisement. He doesn't really fit the description as defined. I might have to make a separate category for him if he beats Lay Praynard as messianic savior of the 155 division for preventing a potentially boring title reign.

Kayo-kun said:
Dream 17 was absolutely amazing and watching it after UFC 135 made me appreciate it even more. They should really start producing more shows now that they got some of their issues solved, since the fights in Japan are far more entertaining. JMMA over all.
aaaaaaahahahahaha

Kawajiri vs. Hansen was great. Other than that.... ehh. Aoki facecranked another can, yay. Let's see him sub Alvarez again but in Bellator, then I'll be impressed. Or maybe drop to featherweight, there's at least some ok non-Zuffa FW competition.

And we will know that we hath incurred teh wrath of teh MMA godz if they allow Lay Praynard to win.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
What do you guys think of the most irrelevant co-main event of all time? Glass Jaw Wandy vs Cung 'am I a legit MMA fighter?' Le? It's interesting from a matchmaking/styles standpoint, but it feels like a circus fight, and I thought we were done with that since Toney.

yacobod

Banned
Eggo said:
What do you guys think of the most irrelevant co-main event of all time? Glass Jaw Wandy vs Cung 'am I a legit MMA fighter?' Le? It's interesting from a matchmaking/styles standpoint, but it feels like a circus fight, and I thought we were done with that since Toney.

I understand why they made the fight, but I'm not really interested in seeing it. Hopefully Wand can unleash some violence and score a KO, but I have a bad feeling we are going to see his lights shut out again. The San Jose card needed some drawing power.

Jake.

as mentioned, i really don't know what will make saku quit. i thought for sure after the numerous losses and his ear getting ripped off he would hang it up, but no. at least the other du's who are past it (i.e. cro-cop) aren't getting injured too badly anymore, but man...its just depressing watching saku constantly get annihilated.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Eggo said:
Stefan Struve/Sean McCorkle at UFC 124.

That was an awful card.

Top Bottom