• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Chamber

love on your sleeve
With Shogun Rua Occupied, Rampage Will Take Forrest Griffin In Japan

Following his four-round shutout loss to UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones last Saturday night, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson called out Shogun to a rematch for when the UFC makes their return to Japan early next year. The two met in the opening round of the Pride 2005 Middleweight Grand Prix and, though the fight only lasted for one round, Jackson absorbed one of the worst beatings of his career.

Considering the outcome of that fight, it's understandable why Jackson would want a rematch but, with that fight seemingly off the table, he told FightLine.com after UFC 135 that he's interested in avenging another loss that left a bad taste in his mouth.

"It don't matter, give me anybody else… you know what, give me a Forrest," said Rampage "I'll fight Forrest in Japan, me and Forrest just lost, put two losers in there together. "
That would be great. I'm always down for watching Forrest get smashed.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
0000UFC139_large.jpg

Zuffa keeping their streak of terrible posters alive and well.

BTW, I'm going to add Hendo to the list of terrible nicknames. No different than KenFlo, really.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
UFC 135 Medical Suspensions: Jon Jones Out Six Months

Despite finishing the night without a visible scratch, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones will be forced to sit out of action for six months for his victory in UFC 135's headlining fight against Quinton "Rampage" Jackson. The Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies' Office of Boxing (DORA) handing down official medical suspensions on Tuesday, and Jones' name is at the top of the list. Details regarding the injury list have not been disclosed. The list was first reported by MMA Junkie.

While the six month suspension initially seems harsh, the young champion will be able to circumvent the ruling after 45 days with physician clearance.
lol

Evans getting dicked once again.

TheNatural

My Member!
Chamber said:
0000UFC139_large.jpg

Zuffa keeping their streak of terrible posters alive and well.

BTW, I'm going to add Hendo to the list of terrible nicknames. No different than KenFlo, really.

I like Dangerous Dan, Hollywood, among others better. He doesn't seem to have a real quality nickname. I wonder if they start calling him 'H-Bomb' or 'Thunder Dan' next.

Also, I'm kinda hoping Wanderlei loses to end his career before he takes another KO. The guy has done a lot for the sport and I don't think he's a horrible fighter even now, his 50/50 style of throwing bombs though at his age may get him pretty hurt. Time for UFC to make last rounds with guys like him, Tito, and Cro Cop and put some other guys up there on the cards.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
yacobod said:
Rashad should have to fight instead of sitting around for over a year again.
no way he clearly proved himself with his win over tito. that should be a lifetime money in the bank

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Rashad expressed regret over waiting for Shogun so I don't think he'd do it again. Rashad vs. Shogun/Hendo winner would be fine and I'd imagine Evans would be confident he could decision either of them.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I can see Shogun/Hendo going 2 ways:

1. Shogun lands a lucky punch and stuns Hendo for the TKO

or the most likely:

2. Henderson grapples with Shogun and Shogun gasses. Hendo wins, TKO or UD.

Cerrius said:
I can see Shogun/Hendo going 2 ways:

1. Shogun lands a lucky punch and stuns Hendo for the TKO

or the most likely:

2. Henderson grapples with Shogun and Shogun gasses. Hendo wins, TKO or UD.
hendo's just gonna keep that right hand cocked and will spam the fuck out of it like Gomi did against Nate, Shogun will stay on the outside and kick the shit out of Hendo knowing Hendo doesn't REALLY want to go to the ground anyways.

Shogun vs Hendo will be a tough fight to watch as I am a fan of both these legends. I am pulling for Shogun though as I think he has a great chance of beating Bones in a rematch.

Heel

@DanaWhite - I jumped the gun on Machida vs Davis. Just found out Davis is still recovering from knee surgery. Sorry about that!

Well shit...now what? Anyone but Griffin please.

parasight

sien916 said:
@DanaWhite - I jumped the gun on Machida vs Davis. Just found out Davis is still recovering from knee surgery. Sorry about that!

If Jones is really out for 6 months they can do Rashad/Machida 2

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
As a fan, these last two years of Machida's career have been awful.

I'd be surprised if Jones actually sits out 6 months as well. He'll get the doc clearance to reduce to the suspension.

http://bjpenn.com/news/2011/09/27/jon-jones-coach-i-don%E2%80%99t-think-jon-jones-is-a-good-fight-for-anderson-silva-5347.html

You know what, I think with Anderson, Anderson is probably the best as far as the eyes going, watching an opponent and then knowing he can strike a certain time and put them on their ass. That’s what Anderson does and I think Jon’s getting there with his strikes. I think Jon’s much better, way past Anderson as far as wrestling skills go. With his stand-up I think Jon brings many more strikes to the table than Anderson has, a lot more variety. We’re just not there on a knockout type of shot, we’re going to get there pretty soon…I don’t think Anderson would probably want that fight with Jon Jones. I think, you know, Anderson would use his length and pick his shot against people. With Jon coming in at so many different angles from a long range, I definitely don’t think that’s a good fight for Anderson.”

TheNatural

My Member!
sien916 said:

Should have taken the Rashad fight but he didn't. I don't think Forrest will fight anytime soon, there's not much left in top contenders in UFC. Rich Franklin maybe?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Host Samurai said:
I am pulling for Shogun though as I think he has a great chance of beating Bones in a rematch.
What happened in the first match that gave you such confidence?

dream

Am I the only one who doesn't give a shit about Urijah Faber anymore? It's like I no longer believe he can beat any meaningful opponents.

yacobod

Banned
dream said:
Am I the only one who doesn't give a shit about Urijah Faber anymore? It's like I no longer believe he can beat any meaningful opponents.

Faber and Torres should just fight and be done with it. They were the top guys of divisions that were just emerging from the primordial ooze, at least they put on exciting fights. It's no surprise that the talent passed them once they got more exposure.

dream

Agreed, yaco my insightful friend.

It's gotta suck to know that you peaked in front of 200,000 viewers on "Versus."

dream

also, now that my friend yaco reminds me, lol@Miguel Angel Torres being at the top of many p4p lists at one point. That feels like a decade ago.

yacobod

Banned
It's funny because I've seen Torres fight in some dive bars in the 219. Hell I might have even championed him for top 5 p4p after the Mizugaki fight, hell that was over 2 years ago.

Top Bottom