• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Chamber

love on your sleeve
dream said:
also, now that my friend yaco reminds me, lol@Miguel Angel Torres being at the top of many p4p lists at one point. That feels like a decade ago.
Are you discrediting P4P lists or discrediting Torres?

Heel

The vast majority of fighters are no longer or never will be championship material. That doesn't make Urijah any less interesting in my eyes. He still comes to put on a show.

Ignore the 916 in my name.

dream

sien916 said:
The vast majority of fighters are no longer or never will be championship material. That doesn't make Urijah any less interesting in my eyes. He still comes to put on a show.

Ignore the 916 in my name.

hi mom

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Why hasn't Torres fought again? I can't wait to see him whining on Twitter after another loss. :p The decision in his last fight could have gone either way.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
dream said:
I'm not even sure. I think both suck.
P4P rankings are absurd and I don't know why anyone puts any time into those discussions. That being said, Torres was totally legit for his time and is still pretty solid. Not like he's out there losing to cans.

yacobod

Banned
Torres loses all respect for going and training with Firas at Tristar. It's like he made a willing decision to try and be boring.
----
Updated OP to include UFC 139 card information

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I find it lame that Bellator has two guys waiting to fight the champion who just got KOed in a different weight class. Isn't Pitbull injured? Curran is going to have to wait a long time.

Heel

sazabirules said:
I find it lame that Bellator has two guys waiting to fight the champion who just got KOed in a different weight class. Isn't Pitbull injured? Curran is going to have to wait a long time.

Yeah, what a mess. I think Joe Warren knew his days were numbered at 145. His first fight with Pitbull was a robbery.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
sien916 said:
Yeah, what a mess. I think Joe Warren knew his days were numbered at 145. His first fight with Pitbull was a robbery.
His fight with Galvao was even worse. In fact, I think those judges gave him the Vila fight 10-9.

yacobod said:
Torres loses all respect for going and training with Firas at Tristar. It's like he made a willing decision to try and be boring.
----
Updated OP to include UFC 139 card information
I was in the crowd booing the fuck out of him when he fought Banuelos. As a person who paid to attend that show in person I felt cheated because that was supposed to be the FOTN candidate slugfest.

As for Faber, if KID wins his fight in Anaheim I want to see them finally face each other... It'd be the bantamweight version of Liddell/Wand.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Two UFC events on one night? White says yes

SAN JOSE, Calif. – Fresh off a day full of meetings to discuss international expansion, UFC president Dana White laid out ambitious plans Tuesday for future international live events and overseas versions of “The Ultimate Fighter” reality show.

White, who was in town to promote the Nov. 19 UFC 139 event at the HP Pavilion, envisions multiple, simultaneous UFC shows, perhaps as early as February.

“When we go to Japan next year, we are going to be putting on a show at the same time in Las Vegas,” he said.

While he didn’t confirm the date, UFC is scheduled for a show on Feb. 26 at the Saitama Super Arena in Japan. The show would take place in the early afternoon in Japan, so it would air in the U.S. on Feb. 25, a Saturday night, live in the usual 9 p.m. Eastern pay-per-view time slot.

When asked how the company was going to handle a dual-show evening from a television standpoint, White just smiled and said, “You’ll see.”

Maklershed said:
What happens in a fight between Machida and Jones?
Machida frustrates the shit out of Jones by being very hard to hit, Jones finally overcommits and gets hit with nasty counter shots, gets TKO'd.

TheNatural

My Member!
polyh3dron said:
Machida frustrates the shit out of Jones by being very hard to hit, Jones finally overcommits and gets hit with nasty counter shots, gets TKO'd.

Then pigs fly out of the sky, Fedor hands ice cream to Dana in the front row, and Vince McMahon is revealed as the half owner of UFC.

All as likely to happen as that.

yacobod

Banned
TheNatural said:
Then pigs fly out of the sky, Fedor hands ice cream to Dana in the front row, and Vince McMahon is revealed as the half owner of UFC.

All as likely to happen as that.
Agreed. Machida was afraid to engage with rampage for 12.5 minutes is now going to find his way inside jbj reach, I don't think so. It might be an interesting style match up, but there is a definative strategy for beating machida.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
yacobod said:
Agreed. Machida was afraid to engage with rampage for 12.5 minutes is now going to find his way inside jbj reach, I don't think so. It might be an interesting style match up, but there is a definative strategy for beating machida.
Be Shogun.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'm guessing that instead of a prelim special, they'll treat either Vegas or Japan as a Fight Night card and air it before the PPV on Fox or FX. I think it could be pretty cool.

ShaneB

He mentions at the same time, so I would assume they'll just have fights scheduled inbetween each other, to have no downtime between both events, and go back and forth.

Heel

Fersis said:
Badr Hari retires from Kickboxing to begin boxing career

I think that his last KB fight will be against Gokhan Saki (January 28th for It's Showtime)

Sucks, but you can't expect fighters to waste away in the prime of their careers for a sport that doesn't even pay you. The mass exodus from kickboxing isn't surprising at all. How are these guys putting food on the table after not getting paid for who knows how long?

This doesn't bode well for the future of the sport either. Who is looking at kickboxing as a viable career path right now?

What a shitty situation. Thanks FEG! Hopefully when the steady paydays return, the stars of the sport will too...

Chamber

love on your sleeve
ShaneB said:
He mentions at the same time, so I would assume they'll just have fights scheduled inbetween each other, to have no downtime between both events, and go back and forth.
Does that idea work with the time difference between Vegas and Japan?

ShaneB

Chamber said:
Does that idea work with the time difference between Vegas and Japan?

"UFC is scheduled for a show on Feb. 26 at the Saitama Super Arena in Japan. The show would take place in the early afternoon in Japan, so it would air in the U.S. on Feb. 25, a Saturday night, live in the usual 9 p.m. Eastern pay-per-view time slot."

Live at 9pm Saturday. So it would be two shows running at the same time like I said. So I just assume it'll be fights inbetween fights.

Heel

“When we go to Japan next year, we are going to be putting on a show at the same time in Las Vegas,” he said.

So they're going to need two crews...reunite the Pride commentary team for one last go-around? Lenne Hardt at the very least.

Heel

polyh3dron said:

How about...Bones puts the Machida takedown defense myth to rest and beats him into the living death.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Rur0ni said:
Hmm? In what world did Machida and Franklin fight?
Inoki Bom-Ba-Ye 2003

SLOMOMachidaKOsFranklinAngle2.gif

Heel

Paulo Filho vs. Mamed Khalidov set for KSW 17

Goodnight Paulo. Not a bad card by KSW standards...

KSW 17
Atlas Arena, Poland
Saturday, November 26th of 2011

- Aslambek Saidov vs. Rafal Moks
- James Zikic vs. Antoni Chmielewski
- Maciej Jewtuszco vs. Artur Sowinski
- Matt Horwich vs. Michal Materla
- Rameau Therry Sokoudjou vs. Jan Blachowicz
- Mariusz Pudzianowski vs. James Thompson 2
- Paulão Filho vs. Mamed Khalidov

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
polyh3dron said:
I'm bookmarking this page for when Lyoto fights Bones.

i'm not willing to commit, bones has looked unstoppable, but people should not be writing machida off so easy.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
sien916 said:
How about...Bones puts the Machida takedown defense myth to rest and beats him into the living death.

Takedown defense myth? Really?

It's a fact that Machida has successfully defended nearly 84% of takedown attempts in his UFC career. His Shotokan Karate wide stance combined with his control of distance and sumo background has aided him greatly.

Can't say the same for Shogun, who gets taken down by a strong breeze.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Random shot at Shogun. Oh Cerrius...

QRJ had Jones well scouted but remained too one dimensional in his attack to take advantage. I wouldn't write off Lyoto just yet.

BTW, did we ever decide on a separate thread for Cruz/Mighty Mouse this weekend?

Heel

Cerrius said:
Takedown defense myth? Really?

It's a fact that Machida has successfully defended nearly 84% of takedown attempts in his UFC career. His Shotokan Karate wide stance combined with his control of distance and sumo background has aided him greatly.

Can't say the same for Shogun, who gets taken down by a strong breeze.

Percentages don't mean a lot when they're padded by an aged Couture and pre-surgery Ortiz. Take a look at his record and see some of the names taking him down.

Machida has better TDD than most, but so does Rampage. We saw what eventually happened.

ShaneB

Chamber said:
But that sucks ass and I like my idea more.

How would that suck? It'll be so much better. One fight ends, they zip over to the other event to have the next fight start. Nice and consistent.

Top Bottom