• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

MjFrancis said:
I haven't watched TUF at all yet. Any of them. I suppose I'll tune in this time around!
The fights have been very entertaining so far, so this would be the season to start watching. I missed the pre-fight part though -- habit from suffering through all the previous seasons, I usually just start paying attention when the fight starts -- so I missed Brittney.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Maklershed said:
I'm taking Struve over Barry for $20. Good bet?

Also, Cruz vs Johnson is gonna be insane.

I dunno about that. Struve doesn't deal with strikers very well and despite being very tall he doesn't actually fight tall. I think Barry is going to kick the shit out of those giant legs and then knock him out.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Brittney was only on for a few seconds, and it was old footage before she quit (TUF was taped, what 6 weeks ago?).

sien916 said:
I think it's a good bet. Struve is definitely a live dog. What kind of odds did you get?
Its just an informal bet between friends. We bet on the fights last weekend and since I nailed every one I won $10 so instead of collecting we're doing double or nothing on Struve vs Berry. (and yeah we're not wild betters as you can tell)

Maklershed said:
I'm taking Struve over Barry for $20. Good bet?

Also, Cruz vs Johnson is gonna be insane.
bad bet. watch barry vs. hardonk and then look at the punch that browne used to ko struve.

either struve gets a sub or he gets ktfo'd and i'm leaning heavily towards the latter.

parasight said:
That Reem/Brock promo was better than most of the UFC promos.
I lol'd at them including the thing with Brock and his machine gun and then cutting to Reem firing a machine gun too, as well as including WWE footage.

Heel

You've all clearly forgotten the haunting image of Barry's soul vacating his body against Kongo. Not to mention it's a bigger mismatch on the ground than it is on the feet. The only problem is Struve rarely makes an effort to take it to the ground. I think the gameplan is too obvious to pass up this time though. Struve's got this one.

Weigh-ins in 5 minutes.

jut420

Neo Member
polyh3dron said:
bad bet. watch barry vs. hardonk and then look at the punch that browne used to ko struve.

either struve gets a sub or he gets ktfo'd and i'm leaning heavily towards the latter.

Totally agree. I highly doubt Barry is going to lose especially because of how his last fight went. I'm not a big Barry fan, but I can't deny he's got a lot of power and striking talent. Another ref in there, he would have won the Kongo fight. He's probably pissed, as he should be (not saying the ref should've stopped it because Kongo obviously had some fight left in him, but he was so close to winning), and I think he'll probably come out more determined than ever in his next fight. That and the fact that Brian Morecraft (sp?) almost beat Struve makes me think Struve is just going to get KTFO.

I'm Jut btw, been following this thread a lot but never found time to post here. Hello everybody :)

Hi jut. Oh and thanks for making your first post a bummer for me. :(

JK of course .. it was a tough call. I can see it going either way but whenever I think of Barry I think of a version of Cro-Cop who is even more timid about pulling the trigger. He seems to have a lot of talent/power but hasn't put it to use yet. Whereas Struve has a lot of experience and is more well rounded (but then again his physique is perfect for not just being KOed but being Boney Maroney-ed and he has a weak chin).

jut420

Neo Member
Maklershed said:
Hi jut. Oh and thanks for making your first post a bummer for me. :(

JK of course .. it was a tough call. I can see it going either way but whenever I think of Barry I think of a version of Cro-Cop who is even more timid about pulling the trigger. He seems to have a lot of talent/power but hasn't put it to use yet. Whereas Struve has a lot of experience and is more well rounded (but then again his physique is perfect for not just being KOed but being Boney Maroney-ed and he has a weak chin).

Lol honestly though, you could be right about Struve. Like Sien said, Kongo's KO on Barry could have ended his career. It was a brutal KO, especially the way he fell and the ground and pound afterwards was even worse than the KO. Barry might be scarred for life from that KO. He might be nervous of loosing again. Who knows, but I still think Struve is just a little too slow to keep up with Barry's striking. I hope Struve wins for you though, not really a fan of either fighter TBH

Ahh why did I get rid of Showtime? Vinny Magalhaes and Enomoto are gonna be on the M1 card 10/14. My prediction: Magalhaes beats Zayata via flying gogoplatta.

AiTM

Banned
Anyone know what that opening song is in The Reem Season 2: Episode 5 "Victory with a Twist" is? Cant find a track list for his videos anywhere and they all have good music.

AiTM said:
Anyone know what that opening song is in The Reem Season 2: Episode 5 "Victory with a Twist" is? Cant find a track list for his videos anywhere and they all have good music.
Sounds like a) Hans Zimmer b) from Tron. But I'm not sure what it is.

Heel

SATURDAY FIGHT SCHEDULE

Cage Warriors 44

The main card will be streaming for free on CageWarriorsLive.com - LINK

Main card starts at 1:00 PM PT / 4:00 PM ET on CageWarriorsLive.com

UFC Live 6: Cruz vs. Johnson - OFFICIAL THREAD

The prelims will be streaming for free on Facebook.com - LINK

Prelims start at 2:40 PM PT / 5:40 PM ET on Facebook.com
Main card starts at 6:00 PM PT / 9:00 PM ET on Versus

Bellator 52

The prelims will be streaming for free on Spike.com - LINK

Prelims start at 4:00 PM PT / 7:00 PM ET on Spike.com
Main card starts at 6:00 PM PT / 9:00 PM ET on MTV2, HD on Epix (Note: Replay at 8:00 PM PT / 11:00 PM ET.)

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Gil to the UFC

MMA Weekly said:
Strikeforce Champ Gilbert Melendez UFC Bound… ASAP
Posted on October 2, 2011 by Ken Pishna

If there was any doubt that Strikeforce is in the depths of a vicious downward spiral, UFC president Dana White put any doubts to rest following UFC on Versus 6 on Saturday night in Washington, D.C.

White told MMAWeekly.com that the UFC is working on a deal with current Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez to bring the No. 1 155-pound fighter in the world to the Octagon.

While the deal isn’t inked yet, he was emphatic in saying that Melendez is headed to the UFC.

“We do want to bring Gilbert Melendez over and we’re looking at it right now,” said White.

Melendez had been expected to defend his Strikeforce belt against Jorge Masvidal at a possible December event, but that would be off the table once a deal is struck with the UFC.

Despite holding the belt in that organization, which the UFC’s parent company also owns, it is not a certainty that Melendez would get an immediate shot at UFC gold.

“It’s a possibility,” stated White. “The thing is, that division is so stacked. And usually timing has a lot to do with (who gets the next shot).”

But as certain as Strikeforce’s days a major MMA player are numbered, so is Melendez’s time there, according to White.

“We’re going to bring Melendez over ASAP. We’re looking to bring him over now.”

(Reporting by Damon Martin)

R.I.P. Strikeforce

Chamber

love on your sleeve
UFC Japan will be Free TV Leading into a Las Vegas Pay-Per-View

Put any doubts behind you, the UFC is going to do two shows in a single 24-hour period in 2012.

When the UFC returns to Japan at Saitama Super Arena on Feb. 26, it will also run a pay-per-view event in Las Vegas on Feb. 25, which, because of the time difference, works out to be, essentially, the same day.

And this is no rumor… this is what is happening, according to UFC president Dana White.

“(It’s) not possibly, it’s gonna happen,” he stated emphatically following UFC on Versus 6 on Saturday night.

“The way that it would work, the fights from Japan would go on live TV for free and lead into a pay-per-view. It would be live in Japan and live in the United States.”

TheNatural

My Member!
So for the people PO'ed at Cruz's wrestling last night, turns out he had a broken hand:

"You know one of the things I respect about the kid?" White said. "He's got a broken hand and had one the entire fight. He broke his
hand and is going to have surgery.

"Not only did he not stop fighting and keep coming up 100 per cent, he doesn't even fucking say anything about it. He goes through an entire press conference and doesn't say anything about his hand."

Cruz was not present to explain his silence, but White recalled the conversation between the two parties.

"'What's the difference? Who cares?'" Cruz apparently told the president. "I'm going to have surgery and come back.'

"You should see his hand right now. His whole middle of his hand is all swollen. His knuckle looks nasty. He's going to get surgery next week."​

Just wanted to chime in and say fuck Cruz. Dude used to be the stand up equivalent of Jon Fitch in the BW division, now he's just the Jon Fitch of the BW division. He was in there trying to stop a fight from happening.

Fuck Cruz.

Didnt DVR bellator since UFC and Boxing both were on too.. Was last nights show worth tracking down?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
As far as I am concerned Cruz gave Mighty Mouse a dose of his own medicine and I quite enjoyed seeing the boring little fucker on his back the whole fight.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
not really a fan of cruz but man how is anyone in that division ever going to beat him. he is a pointfighter with fantastic mma wrestling, both offensive and defensive. he's like the superevolutionary jon fitch

yacobod said:
poly how can you be so upset at cruz when mighty mouse is such a scrub?
yeah you know what, DJ pissed me off in the KID fight. So yeah he got his cummuffins. I just have a stronger dislike for Cruz is all. He's shitting up the BW division real bad.

he seriously should consider a big heel turn to generate interest in his fights, kinda like PBF.

If Bowles could pull of a KO of Cruz like he did against Torres it would replace Hendo vs Bisping as my personal favorite KO of all time.

Top Bottom