• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

parasight

It's funny how Machida, instead of getting punished as everyone kept saying for his "Anderson Silva money" comment, got rewarded with a title shot on a 1-fight win streak against an old ass Randy. That said, I think he's got a really good shot at giving Jones a tough challenge.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I like the match up and everything but Machida just whined his way into a title fight after beating Randy Couture for fucks sake. Just shows how thin 205 is.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
DAT DUCKING

w31M4.jpg

Heel

I'm happy to be wrong and actually have a champion fight more than twice a year. Almost feels like a bonus fight, similar to the quick turn around Bones had from Bader to Shogun.

Machida was going to get his shot eventually. He's well rested, and this is the best shot he's ever going to have at beating Jones. No complaints but very weird circumstances.

TheNatural

My Member!
If Jones whores Machida after tapping Rampage, within 3 months, the haters have nothing left to say. Beating Bader, Shogun, Rampage, and Machida all in a year would be fucking NUTS.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
TheNatural said:
If Jones whores Machida after tapping Rampage, within 3 months, the haters have nothing left to say. Beating Bader, Shogun, Rampage, and Machida all in a year would be fucking NUTS.
It's not like being good stops anyone from hating GSP or Andy.

TheNatural

My Member!
Chamber said:
It's not like being good stops anyone from hating GSP or Andy.

Well people hate on them because GSP getting decisions, and Anderson for I guess Abu Dhabi and Seagal type antics. I haven't seen even haters deny how good they are.

With Jones it's always "well he hasn't been tested, and this guy up next, he's going to finish him!" Machida is going to be a hell of a challenge, if Jones beats him, this stuff about him not really being tested needs to shut the fuck up.

MjFrancis

Jon Jones v. Lyoto Machida? Count me in. Got to hand it to Bones taking this fight so soon. Four fights in 2011? Nice.

When Bones wins, it's a continuation of the new dynasty and more dickriding to come. If Machida wins, Dana White can suck it and Bones haters can have the MMA circlejerk of the year.

I'm so torn as to who to root for.

The Jon Jones era ends this December in Toronto.

Machida has his number.
sien916 said:
UFC 140: You've Ruined My Special Night 3 Times Now
aaaaaahahahahaha

I love seeing Rashad get screwed over this often. It's hilarious. Schadenfreude and all that.

And after Machida wins...

HE GETTIN SILVA MONEY

tumblr_lhhvayND591qh0j6so1_500.gif

TheNatural

My Member!
Bones is going to beat a new challenger every two months for the next year while Rashad comes out in his suit with that smirk and waits for his title shot when Jones turns 30 or so.

TheNatural

My Member!
polyh3dron said:
The Jon Jones era ends this December in Toronto.

Machida has his number.

aaaaaahahahahaha

I love seeing Rashad get screwed over this often. It's hilarious. Schadenfreude and all that.

And after Machida wins...

HE GETTIN SILVA MONEY

tumblr_lhhvayND591qh0j6so1_500.gif

Just like Rampage was going to put him in the hospital?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
TheNatural said:
Well people hate on them because GSP getting decisions, and Anderson for I guess Abu Dhabi and Seagal type antics. I haven't seen even haters deny how good they are.

With Jones it's always "well he hasn't been tested, and this guy up next, he's going to finish him!" Machida is going to be a hell of a challenge, if Jones beats him, this stuff about him not really being tested needs to shut the fuck up.
Yeah, I was one of those but the Rampage fight shut me up. Still think Jones is a douche and I can't respect any man who uses duck lips in his pictures but he's an impressive fighter.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
parasight said:
@danawhite:
Alright Toronto!!! Dec 10th UFC 140 tix go on sale next weekend and ur main event is Bones Jones vs Machida!!!

YESSSSS!

Time to buy tix.

oh hell yes!

yacobod

Banned
Lame because machida doesn't deserve a title shot, but who else was there? This should also end rashads time as a title contender, at some point he needs to fight and win some fights and prove he can stay healthy. Guy sits on the sideline injured for years at a time as number 1 contender. Rashad ducking after seeing the rampage fight.

AiTM

Banned
Why isn't he fighting Evans? Also a big lol to Machida having his number. Yeah maybe Segal can give him a new kick no one knows that hes been perfecting for 30 years.

Rur0ni

Very very interesting. Do want.

Will be interesting to see if Jones sits back and Machida has to engage and corner Jones.

MjFrancis

parasight said:
It's funny how Machida, instead of getting punished as everyone kept saying for his "Anderson Silva money" comment, got rewarded with a title shot on a 1-fight win streak against an old ass Randy. That said, I think he's got a really good shot at giving Jones a tough challenge.
I'm surmising that Dana White doesn't think Machida has a chance - he's figuring a beating by Jon Jones will shut him up and he won't have to look at him after that.

Jones bought that Bentley on the assumption that he would pay for it with UFC 140 money. He's probably right, too.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
CaptYamato said:
Let's be honest. Machida only chance is to POP shots and run away.
I really don't think that shit is going to work on Jones. Machida wouldn't even engage Rampage.

yacobod

Banned
TheNatural said:
Ya it would be hard to find a better candidate for fighter of the year with that resume.

Rur0ni

Chamber said:
I really don't think that shit is going to work on Jones. Machida wouldn't even engage Rampage.
Rampage was the aggressor in that fight, with the obvious KO power. In Jones vs. Machida, is Jones going to stay at range and just do the same thing he did with Rampage? Would be dumb for Machida to sit back and take it like Rampage did.

yacobod

Banned
My hate for machida and his obnoxious fan base 2 years ago is strong enough to say I'm on the JBJ ultra-athletic warwagon for ufc 140.

Heel

Rashad's injury is legitimate, but this quote from him a few days ago is pretty funny in retrospect:

"I just want to fight this dude bad. Jon knows what I can do to him. Do you think that Jon pulled out of the first fight because he was confident? No! He was afraid, and watch him try to pull out of this fight too. Watch him be like 'Oh my foot is hurt' or something like that to try and get out of this fight to try and make me fight somebody else. When it comes down to it, the kid, he doesn’t want it."

Oh word?

yacobod

Banned
sien916 said:
Rashad's injury is legitimate, but this quote from him a few days ago is pretty funny in retrospect:

"I just want to fight this dude bad. Jon knows what I can do to him. Do you think that Jon pulled out of the first fight because he was confident? No! He was afraid, and watch him try to pull out of this fight too. Watch him be like 'Oh my foot is hurt' or something like that to try and get out of this fight to try and make me fight somebody else. When it comes down to it, the kid, he doesn’t want it."

Oh word?
Lol

Chamber

love on your sleeve
sien916 said:

Oh word?
The whole situation is funny with all the crying Lyoto was doing.

TheNatural

My Member!
Chamber said:
The whole situation is funny with all the crying Lyoto was doing.

He drinks his own piss, what do you expect?

Fighting 4 times a year is awesome by UFC standards. To put it in perspective, Anderson Silva has fought all of two fights this year for a grand total of ten minutes and 29 seconds.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Fuck, Dana is a bad man. It's probably a lesson to Machida.

Guy is gonna end Machida. He needed more time to build back his rep, and his way to the top.

ShaneB

Would be nice if I got tickets for 140, but now getting my hopes up. Rashad vs Bones is becoming the Duke Nukem Forever of fights. It'll never happen.

Also, so pumped for the card this weekend, one of those times where it looks like they just plan for someone getting hurt, but it has all stuck together to be one hell of a night of fights.

Top Bottom