• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

thefro

WrikaWrek said:
Fuck, Dana is a bad man. It's probably a lesson to Machida.

Guy is gonna end Machida. He needed more time to build back his rep, and his way to the top.

There's nobody else out there since Hendo is fighting Shogun on UFC 139.

Phil Davis is hurt too. Forrest's only wins in the last 3 years are against Franklin and Tito and he just lost. Little Nog's lost 2 in a row.

I suppose you could have brought someone in from Strikeforce like Cavalcante, Mousasi, or King Mo, but 1) nobody knows who they are and 2) they are probably less deserving than Machida.

TheNatural said:
If Jones whores Machida after tapping Rampage, within 3 months, the haters have nothing left to say. Beating Bader, Shogun, Rampage, and Machida all in a year would be fucking NUTS.

Arguably better than 2005 Shogun's run.

What is the explanation on why Rashad is getting skipped over? Makes 0 sense and Dana White had promised Rashad a title shot after Tito.

So pumped for Jones VS Machida. They are my two favorite 205 fighters too. It's like having two sons fight each other. I don't know who to cheer for.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
thefro said:
There's nobody else out there since Hendo is fighting Shogun on UFC 139.

Phil Davis is hurt too. Forrest's only wins in the last 3 years are against Franklin and Tito and he just lost. Little Nog's lost 2 in a row.

I suppose you could have brought someone in from Strikeforce like Cavalcante, Mousasi, or King Mo, but 1) nobody knows who they are and 2) they are probably less deserving than Machida.
Yeah, you can't really blame them. There's about 6 fighters worth a fuck at 205. Not sure why LHW still has a reputation among fans for being a tough division. This isn't 2006.

TheNatural

My Member!
Chamber said:
Yeah, you can't really blame them. There's about 6 fighters worth a fuck at 205. Not sure why LHW still has a reputation among fans for being a tough division. This isn't 2006.

6 fighters is better than all of about 1 at all but the HW division, where there's maybe 3 or 4. Titles change hands frequently, that's why it's a tough division.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Chamber said:

Because they are 6 great fighters. It's like football, "oh that league only has 3 or 4 teams that challenge for the title", yeah but...they are 3 or 4 of the best teams in the world.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
TheNatural said:
6 fighters is better than all of about 1 at all but the HW division, where there's maybe 3 or 4. Titles change hands frequently, that's why it's a tough division.
You put 205 over 170?

So with Jones fighting again so soon then he really isn't that far off in time from cleaning out the division.

He could have beaten every worthy opponent come next April/May and thats before the Silva v GSP fight meaning only Anderson pussing out can stop it from happening.

TheNatural

My Member!
Chamber said:
lol

Agree to disagree, I guess.

Look at the LHW list and how many guys who are future HOF'ers and former champions, their records, and how many of these guys actually lost to fighters outside of that little group, and it's ridiculous.

Yeah lets see who's a higher caliber group of fighters ... Rashad, Shogun, Rampage, Machida, Davis, Forrest, Hendo or ... Fitch, Koscheck, Ellenberger, Shields, Davis, BJ, or Condit.

Hmm tough choice there, let me tell you.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
TheNatural said:
Look at the LHW list and how many guys who are future HOF'ers and former champions, their records, and how many of these guys actually lost to fighters outside of that little group, and it's ridiculous.

Yeah lets see who's a higher caliber group of fighters ... Rashad, Shogun, Rampage, Machida, Davis, Forrest, Hendo or ... Fitch, Koscheck, Ellenberger, Shields, Davis, BJ, or Condit.

Hmm tough choice there, let me tell you.
If that's your criteria you'd have to put 205 over 155 as well.

Fact is if Jones beats Machida he'll be one fight short of clearing out the contenders.

TheNatural

My Member!
Chamber said:
If that's your criteria you'd have to put 205 over 155 as well.

Fact is if Jones beats Machida he'll be one fight short of clearing out the contenders.

As opposed to MW and LW cleared out for years?

I really don't know any sport where you can go deeper than a small group of contenders because the top guys knock off the lower guys, and then the top guys knock each other off. That's sports.

Maybe he has "cleaned out" the name guys who people think have a shot, not taking in account possible rematch with Shogun, but that's a good 4, 5, 6 fights when it's all said and done. That's on Jones awesomeness for doing it in such a potential short period of time, than the LHW division being weak.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Welterweight isn't cleaned out (assuming you meant WW and not LW). I don't know how you can bag on Condit getting a title shot when Machida is getting one for beating a 47 year old, semi-retired Randy Couture and Rashad got one for beating Tito Ortiz.

TheNatural

My Member!
tass0 said:
Mauro burns Chael in this interview when PRIDE/Wanderlei are brought up.

2/3 in is when it gets hilarious.

http://ironforgesiron.com/2011/10/audio-chael-sonnen-goes-toe-to-toe-with-ranallo/

Listening to this now, Chael is such a troll, but it's obvious he's doing it. Both guys are half joking and it sounds like a worked WWE promo or something. And now listening Mauro brought it up how he should be in pro wrestling. Sonnen sounds like he has his own "Million Dollar belt" or something he's defending. He should come out with some replica WWE belt on the weekend.

TheNatural

My Member!
Chamber said:
Welterweight isn't cleaned out (assuming you meant WW and not LW). I don't know how you can bag on Condit getting a title shot when Machida is getting one for beating a 47 year old, semi-retired Randy Couture and Rashad got one for beating Tito Ortiz.

Who the fuck has Condit beat to be a contender? What's the best win of career? If you think Condit is a better fighter than any I listed in the LHW division, you're on crack. He's an okay fighter but are you going to compare Carlos Condit to Machida or Rashad, you're crazy.

Welterweight is cleaned out and has been for a while and all we get is manufactured fights of guys who GSP hasn't fought to fill stuff out when there's absolutely no evidence they're better than guys GSP has already beaten over and over again. Hell if BJ beats Diaz, which I think he will, we could have a guy who was beaten twice getting a third title shot! If that's not cleaned out, I don't know what is. Condit is getting a title shot because he's THERE, that's the only reason. There's absolutely no evidence that he's better than guys GSP has already beaten, and that's the sign of a cleaned out division.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Condit is getting a title shot because he's there but Machida is getting a title shot because...?

Rashad beat Thiago Silva, out of shape Rampage, and fucking Tito Ortiz. Yeah, I find Condit's streak over Ellenberger, Rory Mac, Hardy and Kim more impressive than that.

CaptYamato said:
Let's be honest. Machida only chance is to POP shots and run away.
That's whats gonna make this so interesting. Jones isn't gonna let Machida karate chop and jump backwards. He's gonna attack and get in his face and make him really uncomfortable. When people do that Machida can counter with pretty good throws but Jones can do that too and can stuff the throws as well. Stylistically I think this is gonna be very interesting.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Jones is at the stage most fighting fans want. The guy right now is unbeatable and confident. The guy is thirsty as hell and ambitious as fuck.

This only stops if/when he gets a beating and then he slows down, or not.

TheNatural

My Member!
Chamber said:
Condit is getting a title shot because he's there but Machida is getting a title shot because...?

Rashad beat Thiago Silva, out of shape Rampage, and fucking Tito Ortiz. Yeah, I find Condit's streak over Ellenberger, Rory Mac, Hardy and Kim more impressive than that.

Machida is getting a title shot because Rashad Evans is hurt, and Dan Henderson and Shogun are already booked to fight. Machida is also a former champ with only two losses and destroyed the current #1 contender.

Condit hasn't beaten BJ, Jake Shields, Jon Fitch, Josh Koscheck, or Nick Diaz. Guys widely considered higher up on the totem pole than him. His best win looks like a split decision win over Ellenberger - who only looks good now for beating Shields a couple weeks ago.

A whole lot of grasping for straws with a bunch of guys who really haven't proven they're better than guys GSP already handily defeated. Koscheck, Fitch, or BJ could easily be 2, 3, and 4 in that division in some order and GSP is 5-0 against them combined. No one else, including Condit, has proven they're any better than those guys. They're just getting a shot because they haven't had one yet, and rematches with the above guys wouldn't be that enticing.

It's to the point where a guy gets a title shot because he hasn't had one, not that he's any better. "Oh this guy hasn't had one yet, lets give him a shot! After that, how about this guy, he hasn't had one either!"

At least in the LHW division there is parity where top guys have beaten one another at some point, so there can be a claim made for a possible shot, because they've beaten someone for the belt before.

AiTM

Banned
"You tell Anderson Silva I'm coming over, tapping his old lady on the ass, and telling her to make me a steak"

-Interview with Mauro Ranallo, dont even need to say the name of the man. link

Also Ranallo gets pissed because he continues to hammer on Pride being fixed.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I know WHY Machida is getting a title shot. That's the whole point of what I'm saying here. Two guys in Shogun and Hendo are tied up while another is injured therefore the only guy left is someone who lost 3 of his last 4 fights. That's precisely why I can't get down with the idea that 205 is a strong division.

TheNatural

My Member!
Chamber said:
I know WHY Machida is getting a title shot. That's the whole point of what I'm saying here. Two guys in Shogun and Hendo are tied up while another is injured therefore the only guy left is someone who lost 3 of his last 4 fights. That's precisely why I can't get down with the idea that 205 is a strong division.

Scheduling has nothing to do with a strong division or not. Jones is fighting 4 times in a year while GSP and Anderson are only going twice, meanwhile the #1 contender hasn't gotten a shot yet because of the timing of the injuries and neither fighter willing to wait. All these guys are worthy of a shot though because they've accomplished a lot. Meanwhile in welterweight, like I said, we don't even know if the guys GSP is facing anymore are any better than ones he's beaten twice over.

TheNatural

My Member!
DKehoe said:
Gonna be great after the fight when Rashad faces off with Jones in the cage FOR THE THIRD TIME

I'm going to be pissed if he ruins his special night for the THIRD time. Totally uncalled for.

desa

CaptYamato said:
Let's be honest. Machida only chance is to POP shots and run away.

10.gif

It'll be interesting for sure.

Machida needs to focus on leg kicks. Just keep nailing him with his lightning fast leg kicks. If Rampage can land leg kicks Machida can land hundreds. War Dragon.

yacobod

Banned
Ugh mma thread might get annoying if all them elusive, ryu loving, pee drinking machida fans come back. Its been nice since may of 2010.

TheNatural said:
Listening to this now, Chael is such a troll, but it's obvious he's doing it. Both guys are half joking and it sounds like a worked WWE promo or something. And now listening Mauro brought it up how he should be in pro wrestling. Sonnen sounds like he has his own "Million Dollar belt" or something he's defending. He should come out with some replica WWE belt on the weekend.
I seriously got Mean Gene flashbacks.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Plywood said:
Let's go one step further, I wasn't here back in 09' for that but I had to dig up the thread:

Reactions to Rashad's knockout, starting here.
charsace said:
Shogun would end up like Thiago. Both guys are similar, but Thiago is bigger. The guys that has the best chance are Hendo and Bones.

Shogun beats two over the hill guys and people think he can face the champ? Let him fight someone that matters first before hyping him for a fight with Mach. I think Rashad would murder Shogun and if Shogun can't deal with Rashad's counter fighting style first he would have no chance against Machida.
2r6pdth.jpg

Plywood said:
Let's go one step further, I wasn't here back in 09' for that but I had to dig up the thread:

Reactions to Rashad's knockout, starting here.
Imagine how different the whole LHW picture would be right now if TUF 10 was Machida and Rampage as originally rumored instead of Evans and Rampage....

Schiavello: The Edmonton Combative Sports Commission is test running a new scoring system tomorrow for Maximum Fighting in which they score half points!

Heel

Maklershed said:
Schiavello: The Edmonton Combative Sports Commission is test running a new scoring system tomorrow for Maximum Fighting in which they score half points!

I don't know why you'd complicate the scoring with half points when some judges can't even get it right with whole points.

"That round was clearly 10-9.5 in favor of Sokoudjou" - Cecil Peoples
"Really? I saw it as 10-9 for Jimmo" - Adelaide Byrd

yacobod said:
Ugh mma thread might get annoying if all them elusive, ryu loving, pee drinking machida fans come back. Its been nice since may of 2010.
I bet Machida nut huggers still think he won the second fight against Shogun.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
yacobod said:

i'm still here

Top Bottom