• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

TheNatural

My Member!
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Shame after all the good fights on the TUF first ep that so far its been shitty.

I think this was their point though. Bisping-Miller isn't exactly a TUF show to get into. They don't want to give anything decent away on Spike when they're leaving the network.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Guys play it safe on TUF because, ideally, they'll be fighting 3 times in a 6 week time span. It sucks but I can't really blame them.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
True enough. Miller seems overly cocky though "seems to be a pattern here" c'mon son, 2 fights and you're telling the team their coach is failing them.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
True enough. Miller seems overly cocky though "seems to be a pattern here" c'mon son, 2 fights and you're telling the team their coach is failing them.

He's a moron and Bisping is going to beat him down. They might as well have cast Kalib Starnes because Mayhem's skill level isn't much better.

Brian Fellows said:
He's a moron and Bisping is going to beat him down. They might as well have cast Kalib Starnes because Mayhem's skill level isn't much better.
Gonna quote this when Bisping gets choked out.

Heel

Nice standing elbow KO from the MFC card last night if you missed it:

mfcelbow00.gif

Heel

polyh3dron said:
lol that cover sucks for vitor.. Its like those basketball posters where someone's getting dunked on

Looks like Maia to me. Pretty funny considering that fight is about as far from cover-worthy a you can get.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Dark FaZe said:
Where is evillore? Im thinking about betting on Machida...I have a feeling...
Shit if the odds are right, I'll definitely be putting a couple hundred on Lyoto.

yacobod

Banned
updated the OP:

removed Cruz vs Johnson Card
removed Edgar vs Maynard PPV
added UFC 140: Jones vs Machida

Added the King Mo Tweet from last night about MMA vs Sports Entertainment.

I want to move Frankie Edgar, number 2 pound for pound, out of the athletes section, but I want some feedback from my fellow mma/sports entertainment enthusiasts.

He's top 5 p4p I would rank it:

GSP
Frankie
Anderson (lost his spot because Dana said Frankie is number 2 now)
JbJ

I'm not even sure who I would rank as five. Aldo, maybe...

yacobod

Banned
Really I don't know how you can even make an argument for GSP over Silva. One guy finishes like 88% of his fights in the ufc, all while never losing in the octagon. The other guy is a 200# welterweight who is content to grind out decisions. We can revisit this subject after we see his sparring competition with training partner Carlos Conduit in a few weeks. Maybe after that you will be able to look past those Muscle and Fitness covers and see he's as exciting as watching grass grow.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Frankie Edgar's next move unclear, but UFC boss favors meeting with Jose Aldo

"Honestly, I'd like to see [Edgar] move to 145 and fight Aldo," White said following Saturday night's UFC 136 post-event press conference at Houston's Toyota Center.

It's perhaps a strange suggestion, especially since Edgar had just moments earlier scored a dramatic, come-from-behind fourth-round TKO over Gray Maynard, one of the largest men in the UFC's 155-pound division. But White said he simply believes Edgar would ultimately be better served by competing in a more natural weightclass.

Edgar and his camp will soon decide what lies in his future. The lightweight champ did admit he was open to suggestions from the UFC president, but he's got a coach-mandated two-week vacation to enjoy first. If Edgar doesn't decide to move down and face Aldo, White said undefeated up-and-comer Chad Mendes would likely be the next challenger for the featherweight title. If he does make the drop and square off with the Brazilian champ, White said Edgar will have to vacate the 155-pound title.
This is the real MMA super fight. Make it happen!

yacobod

Banned
vacating his belt and dropping down makes 0 sesnse for edgar. hes got a much better resume than aldo as well. edgar is champ of the best division in mma.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Makes no sense really, both have people to fight in their division and why should Edgar move down when he's still the champion?

agrajag

Banned
What's fucked up is that 155 IS Edgar's natural weight class, it's the other guys who are fighting a weight class below their natural.

charsace

CaptYamato said:
He's top 5 p4p I would rank it:

GSP
Frankie
Anderson (lost his spot because Dana said Frankie is number 2 now)
JbJ

I'm not even sure who I would rank as five. Aldo, maybe...
P4P Anderson is #1
GSP knows this and that's why he won't move up to fight him.

yacobod

Banned
sien916 said:
Cruz rounds out your top 5. He would beat Aldo if he decided to go back to 145.

I don't know if i would put anyone at 135 in my top 10. The division is weak. Not a whole lot of talent in there, not sure if Cruz is legit, or he's king of an undeveloped weight class.

Balehead

agrajag said:
What's fucked up is that 155 IS Edgar's natural weight class, it's the other guys who are fighting a weight class below their natural.
What is this "natural weight class" that gets thrown around everywhere? For almost every talented guy it's the one above them, Jones should be a HW cause he's got the reach. Yeah, he weighs 220 and would get murdered there. Anderson walks around at 220-230 -> HW. Lesnar SHW? Struve could bulk up to SHW as well.

I think weight cutting is a part of the game, either you do it or you don't. Am I missing something?

Heel

yacobod said:
I don't know if i would put anyone at 135 in my top 10. The division is weak. Not a whole lot of talent in there, not sure if Cruz is legit, or he's king of an undeveloped weight class.

I'd argue it's just as strong as 145. Is Aldo out of your top 10 too?

Heel

Looks like that CFA event streaming on Sherdog was actually today. If you're the kind of person who can watch a card headlined by UFC washout John "Doomsday" Howard, here's the link. Just started...

CFA 3: Howard vs. Olson

Heel

parrotbeak said:
I'm that kind of person sometimes. The video isn't loading though.

They were showing a fight earlier. Either it's really starting in 45 minutes like the link says or the stream breaking is just a part of the fun when you watch the can circuit.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
sien916 said:
Looks like that CFA event streaming on Sherdog was actually today. If you're the kind of person who can watch a card headlined by UFC washout John "Doomsday" Howard, here's the link. Just started...

CFA 3: Howard vs. Olson

I'm going to one headlined by Brian Foster next weekend. So this one is right up my alley.

I'm also getting caught up on some Bellator. I started at 48 this morning and and just about done with 50.

Heel

First fight was pretty good. Guy got out of an inverted triangle, then a kimura to get a sub with 2 seconds left.

TheNatural

My Member!
So remember the first round of the main event a couple days ago? Lets see how the judges scored Maynard kicking Frankie's ass that round and almost finishing him.

UFC136MainEventScoreCard.jpg

Cecil%20Peoples_referee.gif

Is the UFC fight club website down for anyone else? Its not letting me log in

That should have been a 10-7 round, getting your face busted up that bad can't be a 10-9 lol

Nooow it works, I hate that website, had to get my pre-sale code

sien916 said:
First fight was pretty good. Guy got out of an inverted triangle, then a kimura to get a sub with 2 seconds left.
I started watching the fight once the feed came back but then Sunday hit me like a brick and I was passed out on my chair for 4 hours.

Top Bottom