• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Heel

"I'm happy that I got the victory but for me it was like a mental loss because I know I can perform much better than that. I really wanted to focus on my wrestling and my top game against Jeremy and show everyone that I am well-rounded and that I do have wrestling. I think I did that, but I also think I could have done better. When you go to the UFC it's not all about 'showtime' kicking or knocking everybody out. Get people down, hold them down and you win fights." - Anthony Pettis

Hahaha, clearly Clay destroyed this kid's world. Behold the power of a dominant wrestler. He may never be the same again.

Heel

yacobod said:
i called that shit too. ultimate wrestling championship.

Yeah you did. I say if you can't stop it you have no room to complain. This is the big leagues. De-emphasize takedowns in the scoring and the problem goes away.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
God it's going to suck when Chad Mendes LnPs Aldo to a decision. You should add him to the anti-personality/cigarette break section and yes Frankie should be removed from the athletes section. Rocky wasn't no athlete!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Guida had top position but Pettis was attempting so many subs that Clay couldn't do shit but lay his head on Anthony's chest. MMA judges need to be fucking educated.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
yes, guard should be a neutral position. Count how many strikes are thrown and how many subs are attempted. Laying on top of someone shouldn't mean they're winning. See: Miguel Torres v Might Mouse.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
bone_and_sinew said:
God it's going to suck when Chad Mendes LnPs Aldo to a decision. You should add him to the anti-personality/cigarette break section and yes Frankie should be removed from the athletes section. Rocky wasn't no athlete!
Chad Mendes is going to get chopped down like Faber and Brown were. Aldo won't be as tentative because Mendes offers nothing in the stand up game.

Heel

bone_and_sinew said:

If by "suck" you mean "be a beautiful display of high-level wrestling against someone who knows it's coming but can't stop it" I agree completely. :)

Glad you guys are coming around to my Mendes as champion theory. Last time around they called me crazy. Thanks Kenny!

Chamber said:
Guida had top position but Pettis was attempting so many subs that Clay couldn't do shit but lay his head on Anthony's chest. MMA judges need to be fucking educated.

Agreed. I'm actually kinda curious about getting certified as a judge. I can't watch fights without scoring anymore. Who's our judge in the thread again?

Chamber said:
Chad Mendes is going to get chopped down like Faber and Brown were. Aldo won't be as tentative because Mendes offers nothing in the stand up game.

Mendes is way faster shooting in than those 30-somethings.

TheNatural said:
So remember the first round of the main event a couple days ago? Lets see how the judges scored Maynard kicking Frankie's ass that round and almost finishing him.

UFC136MainEventScoreCard.jpg

Cecil%20Peoples_referee.gif
No way. That HAS to be shopped. This is boarder lining on the old Evander vs Lewis boxing match.

Balehead

abstract alien said:
No way. That HAS to be shopped. This is boarder lining on the old Evander vs Lewis boxing match.
I don't think it is, the subject came up on two MMA boards I visited after 136. It's incredible to think that rounds 1, 2 and 3 are equally valuable in the judges' eyes. What the hell would Maynard have to do to get a 10-8? The 4th round is probably a 10-8 as the fight was stopped due to a TKO.

MjFrancis

Bishman said:
Top 5 P4P

1. Anderson Silva
2. Frankie Edgar
3. GSP
4. Jose Aldo
5. Jon Jones
I can't think of any other fighters that would belong in the top 5 at the moment, even if 2-5 are damn near interchangeable in my book.

K.Jack said:
Wtf I know he's the champ, but there's no way I could give Frankie 9 points for that round.
Maybe Maynard wouldn't have slept on Edgar during round two had he known he lacked a cushion in the points game. Regardless he did sleep on him, and the whole fight went tits up in Edgar's favor by Round 4.

UFC considering Frankie Edgar vs. Jose Aldo super-fight: Fan reaction

When it comes to P4P, I would really like to see a Edgar/Aldo matchup in the not-so-distant future. His previous few decisions notwithstanding, Aldo has had some quality KO's on his resume and was knocking out cans in the WEC left and right, but seeing Edgar's KO power on Maynard makes me think this one could be a winner. I'm wondering if Aldo's best shot would be for Edgar to drop down since it might take some power and speed out of Edgar, or if it would be better for Aldo to move up. Aldo's still fast, but not like he was in the WEC days (I say that like it was years ago). He put some meat on his bones and exposed some holes in his game. His last two fights looked like he had to work hard to pull off the win, while his match against Faber made his opponent look like an amateur. Made Faber drop to 135 for a belt.

That's why the matchup makes sense, it's not so difficult to conceive a loss on either fighter's part.

Balehead

polyh3dron said:
I think it got changed back... did you screencap it?
Latest MMA fight was a win over Cellmate by murder at event called Prison.

"On Monday, October 10th, 2011, Son was allegedly accused of killing his cell mate while serving a life sentence. At this time, it is not known how he killed him or the reason behind it, but Son was a heavy cocaine user and that may have interfered with his concept of present-day reality."

Heel

Strikeforce confirmed Melendez vs. Masvidal is happening as scheduled in December on their Twitter.

Great fight, and not a lock for Gil by any means. I think Masvidal can make some really interesting match ups in the UFC too.

sien916 said:
Strikeforce confirmed Melendez vs. Masvidal is happening as scheduled in December on their Twitter.

Great fight, and not a lock for Gil by any means. I think Masvidal can make some really interesting match ups in the UFC too.
ehh masvidal's a midcard scrub.

TheNatural

My Member!
UFC PPV's going back to 10:00

Over at F4WOnline, Dave Meltzer is reporting that the UFC will be changing the start time of pay-per-view broadcasts back to 10 p.m. ET / 7 p.m. PT. This will be starting with UFC 141 this December.

The UFC had long used 10 p.m. ET as the start time for PPVs but changed earlier this year. For east coasters like me it was nice to have the evening wrapped up no later than midnight, many times even earlier. But it is understandable that the one hour cut was harder on audiences on the west coast and necessitated a change back.

PPV numbers are down this year so making sure that the start times have maximum appeal to as many people as possible. It's not a "sky is falling" situation, but it's one where you need to make all the corrections big and small to straighten everything out.

This has yet to be confirmed by the UFC but it seems to be correct.

Good, I didn't like PPVs being on at the same time as Toronto Maple Leafs games........it was always nice when you'd watch hockey and then go right into UFC

Especially when working at a bar that shows hockey AND UFC

dream

What a pleasant surprise! A picture of KJ Noons looking all beat up. :)

I think he may have been the first person on dream's stretcher list.

Masvidal will always be the guy who got inverted triangled by Imada. I'll need to watch that Noons fight again; I don't really remember it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Masvidal should be a fun fight, but ideally would be a good spotlight for Melendez since he matches up well. And I doubt Melendez is boneheaded enough to pull a Guillard here.

parasight

BigJonsson said:
My friend from work is 2nd in line for the autograph signing, hes good at that

Man I wonder how long that line will get. I can be there by 4:40ish, so I'll probably be all the way at the end. Trying to see if it's worth the trip. I wanna get Machida, Hominick, Rory to sign my 129 poster, and maybe Hominick to sign my ticket.

sien916 said:
RVFsB.jpg

Nick Diaz couldn't do this in 5 rounds...and Masvidal is at lightweight.
And Kawajiri dominated the shit out of Josh Thomson before getting brutally smashed by Melendez. Your point?

And holy fuck, Lesnar looks bad. There is no way in fucking hell he beats Overeem now. My guess is that Brock will pull out. UFC could try to get the JDS/Cain winner in a quick turnaround... Not sure who else would be ready by that point with Mir and Nog fighting in the same month. Maybe the winner of the Nelson/Cro Cop fight, lol

yacobod

Banned
GSP said:
I'm going to have to deal with a guy who has knockout power, very technical striker and a great ground game as well. Unpredictable fighter. I've seen a lot of improvement in Carlos' game but I believe I'm a more improved fighter than Carlos is. I have a game plan to take care of Carlos and I will execute it. He's not my friend and I don't put any emotion in but I believe I will have the key to victory. I do believe I will be able to knock him out or submit him. I will remain the welterweight champion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9INuwqygt-U&feature=player_embedded

I do believe I will decision him. amirite :)

Top Bottom