• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Formless

Maxim Grishin, probably one of Fedor's better training partners lately (sigh), lost in pretty embarrassing fashion. Maybe he had a hard time resting because he had TUF10 level cardio or worse.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Watching the It's Showtime kickboxing on HDNET, never saw the results when it aired 2 weeks ago live on ppv. Holy fuck Kyshenko got KTFO'd in the final, he looked so good in the tourney too. I thought he'd handedly beat van Roosmalen and that calls for a fight between him and Petro would build up after the night. Wow, what a stunning upset.

Heel

Outside of Grishin vs. Garner and their awful ref, M-1 put on yet another awesome card. Too bad it was in front of maybe a few hundred people largely consisting of M-1 staff members, ring girls and friends of the fighters.

bone_and_sinew said:
Watching the It's Showtime kickboxing on HDNET, never saw the results when it aired 2 weeks ago live on ppv. Holy fuck Kyshenko got KTFO'd in the final, he looked so good in the tourney too. I thought he'd handedly beat van Roosmalen and that calls for a fight between him and Petro would build up after the night. Wow, what a stunning upset.

Hopefully they put it together for their big card in January. They have the Petrosyan vs. Ngimbi title fight scheduled for December. They really need to get the belt off Ngimbi before it happens...

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I met Andy Wang today. He's a teacher at the gym I go to (primarily BJJ but I take MT classes there.)

I overheard him talking about UFC 137 with one of his students, and rather surprisingly he was full of praise for BJ Penn. That and he thinks Condit is a tougher opponent for GSP than Diaz.

So, judging by the last few big PPVs in Boxing, I'd say that it fits dream and yaco's somewhat twisted criteria to be "sports entertainment" (which implies that the sport is rigged) more so than MMA does. Just saying.

industrian

SnakeXs said:
Some of the footage of Cain and JDS is painful to watch. Cain banging on the cage? JDS while they show his h/w stats? Ouch.

Otherwise fairly slick presentation.

Same feeling here.

Then again they're aiming for a "special needs" crowd here so I can let this cheesy promo slide.

TheNatural

My Member!
industrian said:
Same feeling here.

Then again they're aiming for a "special needs" crowd here so I can let this cheesy promo slide.

That's my problem with this shit, they're going to treat it like MMA 101 or something like FOX has done so many times in the past with a "new" network sport. Remember when FOX used to show hockey way back when and had the yellow puck trail on the screen? And the fact this is a 25 minute fight, at most, and they don't even have an undercard is ridiculous. I'm guessing the show starts with a 20 minute intro promo for dummies.

It's MMA, just like boxing, it's not complicated - beat the guy's ass on the other side. I think nothing is a bigger turn off to something than having to watch an infomercial on the sport myself, instead of watching the REAL thing.

DKehoe

mtqg4w.gif

The other one they have made is much better

dream

It's like he forgot half of the choreography and just started freestyling to hit the beats. It's most apparent during Baby.

dream

I think he should have done Never Say Never instead. The choreography has more snap and it would be easier for him to remember all the steps.

Heel

Further evidence that Anderson is downy soft.

wM6cJ.gif

...and he lost.

Duck lips next to a Bentley can be forgiven. Dancing to Justin Bieber cannot.

Heel

It's Showtime president Simon Rutz wrote an open letter regarding the current state of K-1. You can read it in the quote block below.

Cliff's Notes: K-1 and DREAM parent company FEG is "technically bankrupt". There are 3 different investors looking to take over K-1, one being a group of American investors led by Golden Glory co-owner Bas Boon (?!). All that's needed is the signature of K-1 founder Kazuyoshi Ishii.

Analysis here:
LiverKick - Simon Rutz Clarifies K-1's Financial Situation; Final 16 Cancelled

MMAFighting - Simon Rutz: K-1 World Grand Prix Canceled, FEG 'Technically Bankrupt'

@DanHerbertson - [Bas] Boon has been working on buying K-1 for MONTHS now. I've been told so many times that its a done deal only to hear different 24 hrs later.

@LiverKickdotcom - Somehow it doesn't shock me that Ishii can't let go of K-1, but he let go of K-1 a long time ago and needs to sign it away. If you've been dancing on K-1's grave you might be disappointed that it looks like things will be OK.

October 17, 2011 -

Because there is no information regarding the new start of K-1 coming from Japan, I will clarify the situation for everyone.

FEG, the parent company of the former K-1 brand, is technically bankrupt. The name K-1 lays now at the Japanese company Barbizon. There are 2 serious parties now, which try to pull the K-1 brand name towards themselves and place this in a new company.

The first one to find an investor is FEG’s president, Mr. Tanikawa. He has found a Korean investor who has big plans with the K-1 label. This investor claims to have a verbal agreement with Mr. Ishii and Barbizon regarding the takeover of the K-1 label. Details were already discussed and agreed upon, but the only missing thing is the necessary signature of Mr. Ishii.

The second one to find a potential investor is Bas Boon. He has found an American company which also has big opportunities to bring the K-1 brand to high levels. However, also this company needs the signature of Mr. Ishii.

In the meanwhile, even a third potential investor has reported itself to take over the K-1 label, but this investor has presented itself only a couple of days ago.

All three companies have big plans to bring the K-1 label back to the place where it belongs and therefore make sure that the brand of K-1 has a healthy future.

All investors understand that a good cooperation with IT’S SHOWTIME is essential to prevent future conflicts of interest and to make sure that in the future all world elite fighters will participate to the tournaments; that means the fighters of both IT’S SHOWTIME as the ones of Golden Glory. We from IT’S SHOWTIME support the plans to make the K-1 label a strong brand again, because this is in the best interest of the sport, the fighters and the millions of fans around the world.

This year there will be no K-1 Final Elimination and K-1 World Grand Prix Final for the following reasons:

- It’s currently unknown which investor gets Mr. Ishii’s signature

- There’s not enough time left to organize such a big event

- The visas for the fighters to travel to China haven’t been arranged and these are essential to be able to fight there

The decision to not rush into crazy things is a wise one, because severe mistakes that could cause more unnecessary damage to the K-1 label are being prevented.

From next year there will be a new and healthy company that will work on the worldwide brand of K-1.

For the fighters who were already preparing to fight on October 29 in China this will be a hard pill to swallow, but on the other hand, these developments offer enough perspective to positively look ahead to the future.

I hope I have answered the many questions and to have clarified these matters.

Best regards,

Simon Rutz
IT’S SHOWTIME

industrian

I discovered tonight in training that I've got a decent chin. I accidentally took quite a hammer of a RHK to my jaw whilst doing pad work. Then in sparring later someone got a decent straight to the same spot. I took that shit like a boss and kept going.

Muay Thai is a lot of fun. I'm enjoying every training session.

TheNatural

My Member!
Maklershed said:
Bad mma in HD > 99% of the rest of stuff on TV

Better comparison: bad MMA >>>> high profile PPV boxing. At least it's not $130 down the drain on sideshows to screw you out of your money.

Heel

TheNatural said:
Better comparison: bad MMA >>>> high profile PPV boxing. At least it's not $130 down the drain on sideshows to screw you out of your money.

The moment has come where we actually agree on something...hahaha.

The Pro Elite heavyweight tournament is interesting if you know a bit of MMA history, though. T. Jay Thompson, VP of Pro Elite, is the former promoter of SuperBrawl. SB 13 and 26 were heavyweight tournaments that catapulted relative unknowns into the limelight. Fighters like Josh Barnett, Heath Herring, Tim Sylvia (see the connection here?), Ben Rothwell, Mike Whitehead etc. were a part of the tournaments, and in the same stage of their careers as the guys in the Pro Elite tournament.

Maybe one of these so-called MMA journalists will make the connection and write a story about it.

Top Bottom