• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

tass0

Banned
polyh3dron said:
So, judging by the last few big PPVs in Boxing, I'd say that it fits dream and yaco's somewhat twisted criteria to be "sports entertainment" (which implies that the sport is rigged) more so than MMA does. Just saying.

I don't really get the whole "MMA is sports entertainment lol" thing you guys got going on here.

Can anybody give me some recent examples?

I mean, other than Chael Sonnen (who is mostly treated as 'aww, how cute' due to his silly antics), I can't think of anybody else that comes to mind.

I mean, two of the last major boxing PPVs consist of an illegal KO, "if I was 50-years younger, I'd kick your ass!" and Chad Dawson shooting a double leg on Hopkins, yet nobody really makes the comparisons.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
polyh3dron said:
z0zbq.gif

So Diaz is probably gonna be on the main event now anyways lol.

Wonder what'll happen when he doesn't show up for the next beauty pageant?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Does Condit even want another fight? It's a big risk for a #1 contender to fight someone on under two weeks notice.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
danawhite Dana White
It's GSP'S knee. We will sit Carlos to wait for GSP. It's looking so far like he could be ready in a couple months. Still early to tell tho

Biff

Goddammit GSP :(

New Year's Ubercard? Sonnen v. Silva and GSP v. Condit? I'll take 20.

Edit: Make that Superbowl Sunday Ubercard. Didn't realize 141 = New Years card (technically). Although Condit is probably the least popular main card fighter since Hammill vs. Rampage

pr0cs said:
fuck.
bad enough spending over $3000 on tickets but to lose the main event 2 weeks out.. goddammit.
yup I bought pretty expensive tix to this myself... I also bought tickets for Cain vs. JDS and if that fight is cancelled then I am fucking done.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Heh, bummer. Oh well BJ V Diaz is still pretty good for a main event.
Yeah but ticket prices were really jacked up due to GSP, Condit, Penn and Diaz all being on the same card. The people that paid for a ridiculously stacked card aren't getting it.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
polyh3dron said:
Yeah but ticket prices were really jacked up due to GSP, Condit, Penn and Diaz all being on the same card. The people that paid for a ridiculously stacked card aren't getting it.

Oh no doubt. Dem the breaks I guess, lol. I had to buy my UFC 110 in Aus tickets without knowing who was fighting.

fuck it, at this point I want Diaz to skip the next press conference just to see what Dana does so this card can be even more of a clusterfuck.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
So I think we're at 9 canceled main events this year.

Shogun vs. Evans - UFC 128
Edgar vs. Maynard - UFC 130
Lesnar vs. Dos Santos - UFC 131
Rumble vs. Marquardt - UFC Live 4
Story vs. Marquardt - UFC Live 4
Jones vs. Evans - UFC 133
Evans vs. Davis - UFC 133
GSP vs. Diaz - UFC 137
GSP vs. Condit - UFC 137

Still 5 more cards at risk this year. How exciting!

Edited for accuracy.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
polyh3dron said:
You can bank on Brock pulling out of the Overeem fight too.
Dana is probably sweating bullets about that one. There isn't even another viable Heavyweight to step in if that happens so we would end up with Reem vs. Brendan Schaub or something.

Really glad I didn't buy tickets to that event now. Still it'll be exciting to see Diaz vs Penn as the main event .. from the comfort of my couch.

And yeah it'll be a miracle if both Lesnar and Overeem stay healthy for that match. If they do though its gotta be the best selling ppv of the year right?

CaptYamato said:
At least he has beat someone in the past two years.
Chamber said:
Uh, Evangelista Santos was a legit victory bro!
It wasn't too long ago that Daley KO'd Kampmann and Hazelett and was fighting Koscheck in a #1 contender fight. And Diaz didn't just lay on Paul Daley, he knocked him out.

polyh3dron said:
It wasn't too long ago that Daley KO'd Kampmann and Hazelett and was fighting Koscheck in a #1 contender fight.

Daley was overrated. Guy was never going to beat any of the top guys at 170. Diaz has been fighting scrubs in Strikeforce. BJ is going to make him look silly.

CaptYamato said:
Daley was overrated. Guy was never going to beat any of the top guys at 170. Diaz has been fighting scrubs in Strikeforce. BJ is going to make him look silly.
BJ will win the 1st round and tire out, Diaz wins via superior cardio.

Heel

Show some respect guys. Sure, Nick may have been cut from the UFC after being outgrappled. But his years of beating subpar grapplers outside of the UFC have proven he's the man to beat GSP, the best grappler in the whole division.

yacobod

Banned
Well i guess it's for the best that God damn Sleeping Pill is off the main event spot. Diaz and Penn was the unofficial main event of that card anyways. And Mirko is always deserving of a co-main spot.

Top Bottom