• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Chamber said:
That's part of it but Cruz/Faber did 375k.

I think it's oversaturation at this point. Two weeks after 135 and three weeks before 137. Jones/Rampage and GSP/Conduit are probably more appealing for casuals than Edgar/Maynard.
I think this is part of an overall trend too. Buys are way down year over year. Part of it is UFC milking and also terrible marketing. They have an awesome product but their marketing and presentation is horrendous. Economy doesn't help, should go without saying.

AstroLad said:
I think this is part of an overall trend too. Buys are way down year over year. Part of it is UFC milking and also terrible marketing. They have an awesome product but their marketing and presentation is horrendous. Economy doesn't help, should go without saying.

I have seen more and more advertising by local and chain restaurants that air the fights now. Wonder if more people heading out to a bar or Hooters to watch the fight instead of shelling out $50-60 is having an impact?

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Chamber said:
That's part of it but Cruz/Faber did 375k.

I think it's oversaturation at this point. Two weeks after 135 and three weeks before 137. Jones/Rampage and GSP/Conduit are probably more appealing for casuals than Edgar/Maynard.

That would be part of it as well, next year will be worse. Even if you're die hard you would be mad to buy all the PPV's.... or just rich.

Ninja Scooter said:
I have seen more and more advertising by local and chain restaurants that air the fights now. Wonder if more people heading out to a bar or Hooters to watch the fight instead of shelling out $50-60 is having an impact?

Yeah. How much to pubs etc have to pay for each PPV?

Ninja Scooter said:

That is what I do now. It's cheaper and I get to eat while watching the fights.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
That would be part of it as well, next year will be worse. Even if you're die hard you would be mad to buy all the PPV's.... or just rich.

I know the place I work in Ontario is charged 500 dollars extra to get the HD feed

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:

My brother manages a small bar and it was going to cost them around a grand. That was for a place with capacity under 50. It would have cost more for a bigger place.

dream said:
Oversaturation and the UFC's inability to make stars is what's going to kill the golden goose.

Not to sound like a Pride fanboy or anything but the UFC's most popular stars are former Pride fighters. Shogun, Rampage, Silva, W.Silva, Nog etc. I know there are home grown UFC stars but Pride really knew how to make stars out of their fighters. Most of the UFC roster seems like generic redneck trailer trash. (Im not bashing just making a generalized statement)

smurfx

get some go again
Host Samurai said:
Not to sound like a Pride fanboy or anything but the UFC's most popular stars are former Pride fighters. Shogun, Rampage, Silva, W.Silva, Nog etc. I know there are home grown UFC stars but Pride really knew how to make stars out of their fighters. Most of the UFC roster seems like generic redneck trailer trash. (Im not bashing just making a generalized statement)
pfft brock lesnar has brought in far more ppv buys than any of those guys. they may be more popular with mma hardcore fans but not casual fans that make ufc their real money. gsp>pride guys in popularity.

smurfx said:
pfft brock lesnar has brought in far more ppv buys than any of those guys. they may be more popular with mma hardcore fans but not casual fans that make ufc their real money. gsp>pride guys in popularity.

His popularity is mostly from being in the WWE. I would say that Anderson and Rampage are just as if not more popular than GSP.

iddqd

can you make legit stars without cans?

I feel that adding cans as fodder in between and in the beginning has to help to get a "reputation" in being a killer. It ads highlights and keep you around being exiting.

The ufc is doing a great job in matchmaking fair matches but it also kills prospects early.

They killed Brian Stan, they killed Rick Story.

Now again, fine and great by me but it probably hinders the build up of a name.

iddqd said:
can you make legit stars without cans?

I feel that adding cans as fodder in between and in the beginning has to help to get a "reputation" in being a killer. It ads highlights and keep you around being exiting.

The ufc is doing a great job in matchmaking fair matches but it also kills prospects early.

They killed Brian Stan, they killed Rick Story.

Now again, fine and great by me but it probably hinders the build up of a name.
I can go with 'they killed Stan' but Story was his own fault. He fights a relatively no name guy who only had a day or two to prepare? Story should've been able to destroy Brenneman. Especially considering that was his last fight before a title shot.

iddqd

and he basically is the same guy Story is. Strong wrestling dude with power.
If you want to build up, you give him a striker with bad takedown defence.

Also, I think its pretty hard for certain types to refuse fights the UFC offers..
so they must have known he would accept.
There is always a big whoop- di- du if fighters dont take fights.
See Machida, see Fitch, see Franklin.

Takuan

Brian Fellows said:
My brother manages a small bar and it was going to cost them around a grand. That was for a place with capacity under 50. It would have cost more for a bigger place.
Jesus. So the bar has to be right at capacity and every single person has to spend $20 more than they usually do in order for the bar to break even. Nice.

BigJonsson said:
I know the place I work in Ontario is charged 500 dollars extra to get the HD feed
There is nothing I dislike more than going to a bar to watch UFC on their nice big plasma TVs only to find out that when the PPV comes on it's all stretched and looks like shit. They should make HD the only option for bars, they all have HDTVs.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Host Samurai said:
His popularity is mostly from being in the WWE. I would say that Anderson and Rampage are just as if not more popular than GSP.
Anderson was a poor draw for years until they started putting him on cards with other stars. Honestly, none of the Brazilians and former Pride guys have much in the way of drawing power despite being popular among core fans.

I do agree they do a terrible job of nurturing new fighters though. Akiyama lost to Chris Leben and was then given increasingly more difficult opponents in subsequent bouts.

MjFrancis

Not surprised about the falling number of buys on the PPV events.

I've been pissed with the declining quality of the UFC.com streams, shit can get downright embarrassing in front of company. The Facebook fights will have fine audio and video quality with 30fps or at least no noticeable dip, and then the fight I paid money for drops to a slideshow and becomes unwatchable at times. It's already bad at 30fps, the lighter weight classes especially since they move so quick. Sports aren't meant to be watched at that frame rate. So, rather than drop $45 and feel like an ass for it I go to the tavern and pay $20 for a burger and two drinks while watching a flawless HDTV stream. Good job, UFC.

That, and people get more selective about their PPV buys when there's an event every other weekend.

yacobod

Banned
Chamber said:
I do agree they do a terrible job of nurturing new fighters though. Akiyama lost to Chris Leben and was then given increasingly more difficult opponents in subsequent bouts.

akiyama is a can, there was no reason to build him up if he can't beat the leben and bisping's of the world.

yacobod

Banned
BamYouHaveAids said:
Prior to Edgar Anderson was the worst drawing champ. He isn't anything resembling a draw.

That's why dana is smart and is going to book Sonnen/Silva 2. Chael will do everything to sell that fight and make it big. Smart booking and a good heel on the mic.

and now on to important things:

Cesar Gracie said:
Gracie believes that the fight with Diaz and Penn was a main event level bout already, so why not give it that recognition with a five round fight at UFC 137?

“This should have been a main event fight no matter what. I’ve been saying that,” Gracie stated. “These two guys are great fighters, and they should be headlining a card. I just hope B.J. gets on board and we have that talk with Dana and let’s rock and roll.”

BJ Penn said:
For his part, Penn is more than willing to accept the offer to make the bout five rounds. His only hesitation is that fighting is a business, and as such, he would want a discussion about compensation before the bout is reclassified.

“I want to be compensated accordingly and that’s it. I’m more than willing to do a five-round fight,” Penn told MMAWeekly.com on Wednesday. “If Dana wants a five-round fight, just give me a call and we can put it together right now.

“Or if Cesar wants to make it a five-round fight and he wants to compensate me personally, he can put his money where his mouth is, it’s that easy. I’ve been training to fight. I’m ready to fight.”

5 round war, none of the 25 minute GSP decision crap. The fans win :)

yacobod

Banned
CaptYamato said:
I think you mean three rounds of a Caesar Gracie guy getting beat until he is submitted.

either way the fans win, we won't have to listen to insincere apologies at the end of a prosaic ppv.

MjFrancis

I still don't know who thought that if Akiyama couldn't beat Leben or Bisping that he would have a chance against a guy whose only loss in the past five years was to Anderson Silva. Chris Leben is frequently ranked a top 10 and Bisping a top 5-8. Belfort a top 3.

Which brings me to calling fighters a can. In this thread, yacobod seemingly uses it to refer to any fighter who isn't a top ten in their class but in many other places it's a reference to a fighter who's matched up to lose. They're sent to fight a clearly superior opponent to add to someone else's highlight reel.

I would agree with calling Akiyama a can if that's the definition. No one in their right mind could have thought he had a chance against Belfort.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
yacobod said:
akiyama is a can, there was no reason to build him up if he can't beat the leben and bisping's of the world.
That's what I mean though. If he can't beat the fatherless bastard, why even put him against Bisping and Vitor in the first place? They did Akiyama dirty by matching him with Belfort.

yacobod

Banned
you don't think sexyama was being fed to belfort to build him up after losing to anderson?

i'm not sure how i'd define a can, but since you asked i think somebody outside the top 10 in the following divisions: bantamweight, featherweight, and heavyweight are probably cans or jobbers since these divisions are so weak. Outside the top 15 at middleweight. And outside the top 20 at lightweight, welterweight, and light heavy.

I also assume that anybody competing in Japan, i.e. in Dream, after the fall of Pride to be a can. UFC or bust at this point, it's why I don't watch the CFL when i can watch the nfl every sunday.

With that said, akiyama is totally a can, he could have been 0-4 in the ufc, he was gifted the decision versus belcher.

charsace

Host Samurai said:
That Leban loss was a fluke. Bisping loss was legit.
Leban fight was a typical Leban fight. If you are going to strike with Chris you do so with better technique. Slugging it out with him is a recipe for disaster.

MjFrancis

I like what the UFC has done with Ryan Bader in UFC 139. Pit him against Jason Brilz in the prelims so he can get his groove back. Or lose and get cut. Either way it makes sense. Both fighters have lost their last two.

Same thing with Rick Story. He's fighting Kampmann on the main card, so he has a chance to get back into the game and in consideration as a top fighter. I have to admit I was really rooting for him (gotta love the local guy) but I have never seen a hype train so quickly derailed as his. Beat Thiago Alves and all of a sudden every commentator was talking title shot. Sucks the fight vs Kampmann is doomed to a decision.

Heel

CaptYamato said:
Remember UFC or bust...

Unless your Diaz because beating cans means you're the best around.

You spelled Ben Askren wrong.

XQceH.jpg

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
CaptYamato said:
Remember UFC or bust...

Unless your Diaz because beating cans means you're the best around.

Heh

I was looking at Mayhem's record last night. It's pretty pathetic. His best win in the last 4 years is Tim Kennedy.

sien916 said:
You spelled Ben Askren wrong.

I'd put the Bellator guys up against Strikeforce at any weight but HW.

Heel

Brian Fellows said:
Heh

I was looking at Mayhem's record last night. It's pretty pathetic. His best win in the last 4 years is Tim Kennedy.

Tim "IT'S JUST BLOOD!" Kennedy would probably beat him these days. Curious to see how he fares in the UFC.

Host Samurai said:
Anderson Silva was in Pride for like ... a tall cup of coffee and a bagel ... and went 3-2

Heel

Brian Fellows said:
I'd put the Bellator guys up against Strikeforce at any weight but HW.

I think I'd pick the Strikeforce champ in every match up. Rockhold vs. Lombard and Melendez vs. Alvarez would be interesting though.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
sien916 said:
I think I'd pick the Strikeforce champ in every match up. Rockhold vs. Lombard and Melendez vs. Alvarez would be interesting though.
Well those are the only two SF champs remaining.

Business as usual.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
sazabirules said:
There are people worse than Cole "The Polar Bear" Konrad?
Worse? Not sure about that but M'Pumbu is a can crusher for sure. I thought Bellator did a terrible job signing LHW fighters.

yacobod

Banned
GSP said:
"I'm not going to lie, I cried yesterday," St-Pierre admitted. "I had a ton of pressure falling off my shoulders, because for the last few days I was in the mindset that I was nervous for the fight. I was excited for the fight but I was also nervous to know if I was going to be able to fight.

"Now all the pressure is off, I feel much better. I'm going to do some rehab, maybe take a vacation because I went through a lot. It's not only the fight, it's all the training camp, I went through a lot of stuff. I need to reset the whole thing again and I'll be ready for the next one."

Discuss

Top Bottom