• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i like lyoto machida, michael bisping, AND jim miller. am i going to hell?

yacobod

Banned
Crocop winning by LHK would be my number 1 moment in mma this year barely edging out Diaz/Daley round 1. Rounding out the top 5 would be frankie tkoing maynard. Tito subbing Bader and unleashing the grave digger from hell. And Chael's legendary promo on Anderson Silva.

Honorable mentions:
Silva's KO of Vitor.
Nog's KO of Schaub.

dream

I thought this was interesting. The Observer did a poll asking why their subscribers didn't buy UFC 136 on PPV:

If you are a frequent UFC PPV buyer and didn't order UFC 136, what was the main reason?
Watched it on an illegal stream 29.1%
Had other plans that night 16.5%
Didn't like the lineup 12.6%
Didn't feel the show had enough stars 11.0%
Two weeks since the last show I bought 8.7%
Went to a bar to see it 7.9%
Don't want to see shows with small guys headlining 7.1%
Not interested in Edgar vs. Maynard as a main event 3.9%
Watched with friends who bought it 3.1%

What are your reasons?

Ænima

yacobod said:
Crocop winning by LHK would be my number 1 moment in mma this year barely edging out Diaz/Daley round 1. Rounding out the top 5 would be frankie tkoing maynard. Tito subbing Bader and unleashing the grave digger from hell. And Chael's legendary promo on Anderson Silva.

Honorable mentions:
Silva's KO of Vitor.
Nog's KO of Schaub.
Good list, the only thing I would add is Hendo KOing Fedor.

alr1ghtstart said:
Most of the people buying UFC events don't subscribe to the Observer or post on Sherdog/etc.
Was the poll done on Sherdog though?

I'd think something like the Observer would be neutral enough to get a good sampling.

Heel

Ænima said:
Good list, the only thing I would add is Hendo KOing Fedor.
Y6Ckc.gif

Dave meltzer is neutral, he is a rollie pollie. And we purchase all UFC ppvs as a family because they have compelling storylines and new stars like Chael Sonnen and Machida.

thefro

sien916 said:
UFC has signed Olympic gold medal freestyle wrestler Khadjimourat Gatsalov

-Dominated Cormier in the Olympics
-BJJ black belt
-Sambo backround
-Fighting at 185

Promising credentials, but heading straight to the UFC with a record of 0-0 is pretty crazy. But hey, Lesnar only had one fight. Let's see what this kid can do.

Confirmed BOGUS by Big Dave Meltzer:

--If you read a story that Khadimourat Gatsalov, a former Olympic gold medalist, signing with UFC, Dana White said the story is false.

Heel

Anyone else going to watch Bellator tonight? Prelims just started. First time I'm catching it live in a long while.

Hoping Wiuff beats M'Pumbu in their "super fight".

thefro said:
Confirmed BOGUS by Big Dave Meltzer:

Yeah, mentioned it was debunked earlier in the thread. I wonder if there's any truth to him wanting to start an MMA career. Would be interesting to see.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Fuck it, I'll watch. Haven't seen a Bellator card in awhile and we might see one of their champions blown up in a "superfight."

yacobod

Banned
Frank Mir said:
Honestly, I think Brock will win pretty easily. I think we’re going to see the closest thing to a grappler versus striker match you’ll see nowadays. Brock is going to cover up; maybe throw one jab. He’ll rush Overeem to the cage, reach down for a leg and rip him down.... I don’t think he’s going to get off his back. I’d be very shocked -- I’d applaud Overeem if he got off his back.

Frank knows whats up.

yacobod

Banned
sien916 said:
Don't worry yacobud, we'll be brainstorming ideas for your new avatar in due time.

i can't wait. i might turn avatars back on so i can live in shame. i turned off avatars a while back. website is more inconspicuous browsing at work now w/out all the lame animu and pony avatars and other embarrassing crap.

Heel

yacobod said:
i can't wait. i might turn avatars back on so i can live in shame. i turned off avatars a while back. website is more inconspicuous browsing at work now w/out all the lame animu and pony avatars and other embarrassing crap.

Hahaha. Could someone put together an avatar of animu GSP riding a pony? Thanks!

yacobod

Banned
off topic but i can't believe nbc didn't make a better push for the UFC. i just saw a fucking bull riding commercial during a break of the usc notre dame game. i mean they couldn't use the help to bring in young viewers? they don't have shit besides nfl on sunday night and ND football.

they really dropped the ball. it would have been nice because they have the best broadcast HD feed by far.

yacobod

Banned
Chamber said:
I wish yaco would show more respect for the future UFC Heavyweight Champion. :(

are all the good ufc heavyweights going to be on the same airplane when it crashes leaving a huge void in the division for overeem to fill?

Heel

yacobod said:
i'd pick carwin and mir over reem too. big deal. i can post like 7 different gifs of reem being tkod.

Honestly though, what did you expect someone as smug as Frank to say?

"Overeem will not suffer the same fate as me. He is a better mixed martial artist and will knock out Brock."

cmonsonzpxs.gif

Guys, he is Canadian. They're several years behind when it comes to trends.

Of course this excludes the almighty and sexy mods of Neogaf

Top Bottom