• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

The UFC facebook account said they were going to post new panels of the comic every day a few days ago, before that conf call, and then it looks like the new panel has Andy's quotes. I think it's completely fabricated. But whatever.

I was riding with one of my coworkers today and the radio station he was listening to was talking about Andy's quotes. One of the guys said he saw JDS/Mir and there was blood shooting everywhere like a horror movie (guessing he meant Cain/Bigfoot) and that he would never watch UFC again. They said no one deserves to be maimed even if they are a convicted criminal. But that it was good promotion for their target audience. I was reminded why I don't listen to radio.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Do you guys think Anderson was coaxed into saying what he did during the conference call, or did Chael finally make him crack? Ed Soares tried to prod him into promoting the first fight. You can see the footage in the Like Water documentary. He wasn't having it.

Someone actually watched Like Water?

Dwayne

DREAM Champion Bibiano Fernandes has officially signed with ONE Fighting Championship, Asia's largest MMA organization. He will be debuting on August 31 in Manila, Philippines at ONE FC: Pride of a Nation.

Apparently Aoki is headlining this event too, sounds like a big card.

Heel

Someone actually watched Like Water?

I forget the specific wording, but there is one redeeming scene where Machida and Anderson discuss their desire to win over all else, including entertain the fans. Other than that it played out like a propaganda film more than an actual documentary. The Smashing Machine it is not.

DREAM Champion Bibiano Fernandes has officially signed with ONE Fighting Championship, Asia's largest MMA organization. He will be debuting on August 31 in Manila, Philippines at ONE FC: Pride of a Nation.

Apparently Aoki is headlining this event too, sounds like a big card.

Sounds like Bibiano was made an offer he couldn't refuse. Would have loved to have seen him in the Ultimate. I'm pretty sure that bridge is burned now.

It's almost like DREAM died and was reborn with soccer kicks. I ain't even mad.

Kellen

2VJn9.png

More than injuries, all these Fox and FX cards are ruining the PPVs. Basically all the legitimate co-main events on the PPVs are being put onto the free cards that air the week or two (or the day) before the PPV.

UFC 149 is a joke, the fox card two weeks after is better. You split that UFC fox card between UFC 149 and UFC 150, both PPVs get a lot better.

Just finished watching the last XFC. All the fights were violent beatdowns except for the hw fight, which sucked. The show was well done: a bit of storytime footage with the fighters before the fight, then right into the fight, so it didn't seem like long breaks between each fight, especially compared to the typical UFC. I don't know who any of the fighters are cuz I didn't pay attention to anything except the fights, but it's there at least for those who want to know who they're seeing fighting like they have no education, vocational skills, or contract to fall back on.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I forget the specific wording, but there is one redeeming scene where Machida and Anderson discuss their desire to win over all else, including entertain the fans. Other than that it played out like a propaganda film more than an actual documentary. The Smashing Machine it is not.

Sounds like Bibiano was made an offer he couldn't refuse. Would have loved to have seen him in the Ultimate. I'm pretty sure that bridge is burned now.

It's almost like DREAM died and was reborn with soccer kicks. I ain't even mad.

I don't think so. Dana didn't sound too mad since he never signed a contract. He's doing ONE FC because his wife his close to giving birth.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Do you guys think Anderson was coaxed into saying what he did during the conference call, or did Chael finally make him crack? Ed Soares tried to prod him into promoting the first fight. You can see the footage in the Like Water documentary. He wasn't having it.
I don't see Anderson as particularly goadable without pride or money being on the line.

Just finished watching the last XFC. All the fights were violent beatdowns except for the hw fight, which sucked.
Either the rings are very tiny or the people are very huge.

it's there at least for those who want to know who they're seeing fighting like they have no education, vocational skills, or contract to fall back on.
That part of it feels almost exploitative. Don't get me wrong... I like to watch voluntary face smashing. But, I really wish folks were there by choice rather than "all I know how to do is punch", because you know it will never last. It's like watching Rocky without Apollo Creed, Adrian, or even Mickey.

TheNatural

My Member!
Pasted from Sherdog:

According to Dave Meltzer in his latest podcast, the UFC will now be doing a super show/WrestleMania type show every July in Vegas.

The Nevada tourism council had asked Zuffa about trying to boost tourism in July and a super show was the decision.

Zuffa was approached after the Silva/Sonnen card was completed so they couldn't stack the card as much as they wanted but next year and every year after is planned to be UFC 100 caliber with at least 2 championship fights.

Seriously, great move IMO. There's no huge marquee UFC event every year, and outside of maybe the MLB All Star game and Brickyard 400 there is no main marquee summer sporting event. Silva-GSP, Jones - whoever next July, in an 80,000 seat dome somewhere.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Pasted from Sherdog:

According to Dave Meltzer in his latest podcast, the UFC will now be doing a super show/WrestleMania type show every July in Vegas.

The Nevada tourism council had asked Zuffa about trying to boost tourism in July and a super show was the decision.

Zuffa was approached after the Silva/Sonnen card was completed so they couldn't stack the card as much as they wanted but next year and every year after is planned to be UFC 100 caliber with at least 2 championship fights.

Seriously, great move IMO. There's no huge marquee UFC event every year, and outside of maybe the MLB All Star game and Brickyard 400 there is no main marquee summer sporting event. Silva-GSP, Jones - whoever next July, in an 80,000 seat dome somewhere.

I can't wait to see the card after half of the fighters pull out due to injuries.

Vegas in the summer is disgusting. That was one of the factors in not going and also the reason some friends gave for not wanting to join me. We went once years ago because packages are so cheap, but it's too hot to walk around even at night. I went during the summer for work a couple years ago but the conference hotel had a poker room and the buffet was not bad, so I never left the hotel.

Remember when they said they'd have Superbowl type events after Zuffa bought Pride?

TheNatural

My Member!
Vegas in the summer is disgusting. That was one of the factors in not going and also the reason some friends gave for not wanting to join me. We went once years ago because packages are so cheap, but it's too hot to walk around even at night. I went during the summer for work a couple years ago but the conference hotel had a poker room and the buffet was not bad, so I never left the hotel.

Remember when they said they'd have Superbowl type events after Zuffa bought Pride?

Grow a pair. It's supposed to be 105 where I live the next couple days.

ShaneB

Supershow every July hey... nice idea. Sure won't work.

Injuries, holding back fighters, praying everything works out so the stars align every July. Yeah, good luck with that.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Pasted from Sherdog:

UFC Presents MMAnia.

Now give us a Royal Rumble.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Holding back fighters from other cards in favor of July super shows? Not sure if want.

Worse case scenario: April-June cards are headlined by flyweights and Dominic Cruz.

That and it would be a lightning rod for injuries and/or dudes fighting with injuries.

Boogie

Did you miss the part where this is supposed to be in Vegas?

Kellen

Rashad talking about why he probably won't cut down to middleweight unless it's against Anderson Silva.

"I thought about (moving to middleweight), then I thought about how hard that weight cut is. I used to wrestle at 174 in college, I would cut so much weight on a continuous basis and I was like, ‘You know what? If I ever have to compete again, I’m not cutting weight like that’. Because what ends up happening is, the philosophy is, ‘Oh well you go down to a lower weight and you’ll be stronger’. Not necessarily. Some people go down to a lower weight and they’re actually weaker, and I felt like when I was the best athlete I could be in college wrestling, is when I wrestled to my natural weight. So that’s what I try to do in fighting, I try to compete at my natural weight. I may go to 185 and not be the same fighter because I’m maybe cutting too much weight."

"Anderson (Silva) is somebody I would love to fight because when it’s all said and done, whether you win or lose, to compete against the best in the sport is really what it’s all about. You know, if I can walk away from my career and say I competed against some of the best in the sport in my time and era, then I can wrap up and say I had a really great career. So if the opportunity comes, and that fight happens, yeah I would drop to 185 to fight."

Pasted from Sherdog:

Uhhh, there is no 80,000 seat stadium in Vegas so that fight wouldn't be on this "super show" :p

But Bob Arum did want to build a temporary venue for Pacman vs Mayweather lol

Heel

Monson-Duffee will headline Super Fight League's September card

UFC veterans Jeff Monson (46-13-1) and Todd Duffee (7-2) will headline the promotion's Sept. 8 card in Bengaluru, India, Pavia told MMAjunkie.com Radio host George Garcia. Monson, Pavia said, has signed a new four-fight exclusive deal with the promotion.

Pavia said SFL's Oct. 6 card, in Channai, India, will be headlined by a heavyweight bout between UFC vets Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou (12-10) and Trevor Prangley (25-9-1). And he said Satoshi Ishii (4-2-1), who along with Monson and Sokoudjou are recent SFL signees, will make his debut against Jimmy Ambriz (16-18-1).

Ishii vs. Amrbiz, Bad MMA done right.

Heel

K-1 in Los Angeles: Holding Open Tryouts for Event

The names that we've heard kicked around from reliable sources for the Heavyweight field are Steve Banks, Rick Cheek, Eddie Walker, Deutsch Pu'u and Rick Roufus. It isn't clear if they are all in the tournament or not, but each fighter has made statements to the effect of fighting on this card.

Wow, is this real life? 2012's Rick Roufus? Bad MMA's Deutch Pu'u? Open tryouts?

Bad Kickboxing confirmed.

Top Bottom