• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

Kellen

"Yeah he's just a person," Sonnen said. "You hear those things but they told us that about Mike Tyson too and what a wimp that guy turned out to be when he finally got some real competition. He's kind of like the Mike Tyson of our era where they say certain things but at the end of the day when they lock that cage door he's not going to have a friend and he's not going to have a two-by-four and I'm sure he could use either one when I get my hands on him."

http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_13713.shtml

Heel

Anyone who still thinks Fedor fights like he used to isn't paying attention.

More like claiming to be an expert on something they've never seen, friend. Scooter Lite needs to brush up on his trolling.

"Yeah he's just a person," Sonnen said. "You hear those things but they told us that about Mike Tyson too and what a wimp that guy turned out to be when he finally got some real competition. He's kind of like the Mike Tyson of our era where they say certain things but at the end of the day when they lock that cage door he's not going to have a friend and he's not going to have a two-by-four and I'm sure he could use either one when I get my hands on him."

http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_13713.shtml

Chael broke through Anderson's aura.

yacobod

Banned
Zuffa brainwashed natch gonna see the house of cards that is Anderson Balboa's title reign crumble. Protected by Mickey soares and Joe Silva with handpicked opponents.

Hope seagal taught spider some tdd cause he's getting bodied by an American hero.

Heel

Zuffa brainwashed natch gonna see the house of cards that is Anderson Balboa's title reign crumble. Protected by Mickey soares and Joe Silva with handpicked opponents.

Hope seagal taught spider some tdd cause he's getting bodied by an American hero.

Absolutely, friend.

Canderson Balboa's era of lies ends July 7th.

TheNatural

My Member!

You'll rue the day you doubt Sensei Seagal. You all will pay for your sins against The Great One and beg forgiveness for your heresy. July 7th? Chael Sonnen is Marked for Death.

marked-for-death.jpg

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Anyone who still thinks Fedor fights like he used to isn't paying attention. Dude became a sloppy brawler somewhere around 2008 and never turned back. Reminds me of the way Dan Henderson totally ignores half of his skillset.

Yea and coincidentally he's doing better than he ever was. Hmmmmmm.

Bossun

What would be so surprising to Anderson losing? Or Fedor losses?

I love both of them but guys..seriously? People age you know, and some people grow up and get into the sport and are very good at it, the same way Anderson and Fedor were good at it.

It's pretty pathetic to see all this talk about "well if we think about it he never fought anyone that was worth it" everytime a "legend" lose.Or " He nearly lost against watchamacallit, that must mean that he wasn't THAT good"... It's so easy to say that looking backward.

Yeah and what if this new guy, if he fought, if it happened ...etc
It's too easy to rewrite history with ifs, especially in this sport where one small hit can make the difference.

I don't even care who wins anymore. Andy or Chael. Germany lost. Italy or Spain will be Euro cup winners and their american front runners will never shut up. Fuck today.

Bossun

I don't even care who wins anymore. Andy or Chael. Germany lost. Italy or Spain will be Euro cup winners and their american front runners will never shut up. Fuck today.

I'm pretty sure that if Fedor, is his prime, was with Germany they would have won the tournament. That's how strong he was. Kimura the damn ball all the way to the opponent's goal

Heel

What would be so surprising to Anderson losing? Or Fedor losses?

I love both of them but guys..seriously? People age you know, and some people grow up and get into the sport and are very good at it, the same way Anderson and Fedor were good at it.

It's pretty pathetic to see all this talk about "well if we think about it he never fought anyone that was worth it" everytime a "legend" lose.Or " He nearly lost against watchamacallit, that must mean that he wasn't THAT good"... It's so easy to say that looking backward.

Yeah and what if this new guy, if he fought, if it happened ...etc
It's too easy to rewrite history with ifs, especially in this sport where one small hit can make the difference.

I agree completely, friend. You're the victim of a very dark metal metagame that's two threads in the making. It will come to its chilling conclusion on the night of July 7th.

They're two careers in parallel at different moments in history. A few of us have just been a little too stubborn to realize it. For every Werdum there is a Sonnen. For every Hong Man Choi there is an X-Arm veteran named James Irvin.

Down the road there will be a new batch of fans who never witnessed Anderson's reign, who have never bothered to go back and watch, who will look at his record and wonder "Who did this guy ever actually beat?". It will be a bittersweet victory for Fedor Truthers around the globe who know all too well the fickle nature of MMA fandom in the rear view.

Time and tide wait for no man.

Time and tide wait for no can.

In the end the only parallel you won't be able to draw between Fedor and Anderson's careers is the consistency of excitement they brought to the table. There were many times Anderson was booed for being boring in his prime and even warned by the great Dan Mirgz for stalling. The man was even threatened to be cut from the roster.

Against Maia of all people who was a punching bag for Silva. I thought he was dancing and messing around and not laying into Maia out of respect for a fellow country man but it got to the point that the messing around came across as more disrespectful than if Silva just knocked Maia out.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Against Maia of all people who was a punching bag for Silva. I thought he was dancing and messing around and not laying into Maia out of respect for a fellow country man but it got to the point that the messing around came across as more disrespectful than if Silva just knocked Maia out.

He wasn't messing around. He was afraid to engage K-1 Maia.

Bossun

MMA-GAF is just ahead of the curve. Once he loses, expect to hear a lot about people like Travis Lutter and Thales Leites.

Exactly.

IF he lose we'll see a rewrite of history saying that he actually never fought anyone worth it and he lost again his only REAL opponent. And that Pride didn't have any real competitor and whatnot.
From the same people saying he should have lost the first time against Sonnen without admitting that he was just better, taking tons of hits, getting ragged doll but still keeping his cool and fully taking advantage of a small mistake is part of being a fighter and a pro.
He was just better than Sonnen who already thought he was the winner and grew careless.

Then people saying that if he had been in his prime it would have been otherwise and he would have demolished Sonnen.
But yes he grew old, lost some of his edge, maybe some of his interest. That's part of the sport, getting old and passing your "prime"

While in truth nobody knows how it would have happened. It doesn't change the fact that he dominated Pride and UFC when he got there meaning that he was actually pretty damn good, be it from luck or whatever.

Heel

Exactly.

IF he lose we'll see a rewrite of history saying that he actually never fought anyone worth it and he lost again his only REAL opponent. And that Pride didn't have any real competitor and whatnot.
From the same people saying he should have lost the first time against Sonnen without admitting that he was just better, taking tons of hits, getting ragged doll but still keeping his cool and fully taking advantage of a small mistake is part of being a fighter and a pro.
He was just better than Sonnen who already thought he was the winner and grew careless.

Then people saying that if he had been in his prime it would have been otherwise and he would have demolished Sonnen.
But yes he grew old, lost some of his edge, maybe some of his interest. That's part of the sport, getting old and passing your "prime"

While in truth nobody knows how it would have happened. It doesn't change the fact that he dominated Pride and UFC when he got there meaning that he was actually pretty damn good, be it from luck or whatever.

So you're saying he'll be treated like Fedor?

MMA-GAF Rookie of the Year 2012. Calling it now.

Welcome to the fold, friend.

TheNatural

My Member!
Yeah because can status just applies to everyone when they lose. Not like it doesn't have anything to do with, oh say, ducking competition in the only main organization left after his died. Then got destroyed in the B leagues anyway.

If Anderson quit the UFC to go fight in say, Bellator, and then quickly got finished three times in a row, I would consider can status.

But no good ducker goes unexcused here though. Everyone who fought in Japan were awesome legends because of some blind nostalgic hard on, nothing else. The real fighters like Hendo actually went on to win major fights in the US and capture titles and don't need bitch made excuses for them as to why they got stopped three straight times by BETTER fighters.

All your flawed MMA beliefs will be exposed next week.

TheNatural

My Member!
If he loses Snatch edits every one of his posts in this thread and starts frontrunning Chael.

Frontrunner? Like you know, the people rooting for Chael who didn't even knew the dude existed before his first fight with Silva?

Ironic. If geek chat existed when Chael survived Marquardt to get #1 contender, I can imagine yaco probably didn't even watch, and Heel trying to find what time BadMMA came on.

You ask for a frontrunner? Ladies and gentlemen I give you the Chael Sonnen fanbase.

Bossun

So you're saying he'll be treated like Fedor?

MMA-GAF Rookie of the Year 2012. Calling it now.

Welcome to the fold, friend.

Well I don't know if he'll have it as hard as Fedor, but yes I'm pretty sure we'll see people starting to say he wasn't that good.

But who cares, we'll have a good fight and that's all I want, I like both of them anyway. (I hope so with all his "trash" talk about Sonnen I'll be fairly disappointed if all he does is dance around)

The only bad thing we can say about Silva is his dancing around (sometimes) and the fact that he believes Seagal is worth something :(

Edit : But yes I'm a rookie, I started watching MMA not so long ago so I don't have any pride nostalgia. However I do watch some older fights. And being in France it's hard to follow, I can catch UFC pretty easily but for the rest it's kind of hard.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
That's the beauty of a GP. Can you imagine a Ghita vs. Butter, Butter, Hari tournament final?

I've gotta go with my boy Ghita. Unstoppable status until proven can.

Standard MMAGAF rules apply. Kickboxing really needs a shot in the arm.

TheNatural

My Member!
i had a pretty good stream for the ppv then it got shutdown, now i got some weird ass one in a foreign language, at least the video is clean lol

All aboard the Mark Coleman I'm gassed on the way to the octagon warwagon, lets put an end to captain america and his superior cage n pray gameplans

MAIN CARD

Mark Coleman vs. Randy Couture
Nate Marquardt vs. Chael Sonnen
Mike Swick vs. Paulo Thiago
Demian Maia vs. Dan Miller
Matt Serra vs. Frank Trigg

What is it you said to me, yippee ki yay frontrunner?

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386879&highlight=ufc+109

Oh my God the quarterback isss toast!

hP5GV.gif

Heel

Glad to see that salt flowing through your veins before you're sent on a permanent vacation.

Flawed, like believing a 37 year old MMA fighter who wants to fight 10 more years will never lose again.

Ducking, like pretending you're longtime friends with Jon Jones so you don't have to fight him. Your "wait until he actually cleans out the division" excuse is running out of mileage, breh.

Where's your boy at? Last I checked it wasn't still "Lyoto's division". Time to take that L after he's sent packing from 185.

ilpd6BBXnImO.gif

TheNatural

My Member!
Glad to see that salt flowing through your veins before you're sent on a permanent vacation.

Flawed, like believing a 37 year old MMA fighter who wants to fight 10 more years will never lose again.

Ducking, like pretending you're longtime friends with Jon Jones so you don't have to fight him. Your "wait until he actually cleans out the division" excuse is running out of mileage, breh.

Where's your boy at? Last I checked it wasn't still "Lyoto's division". Time to take that L after he's sent packing from 185.

ilpd6BBXnImO.gif

The only salt is what I'm pouring in your wounds, and pouring the gasoline on this thread in preparation for July 7th when this place will be set ablaze with the fire and ether Silva will reign down on you actual Sonnen frontrunners.

The Day of Reckoning is coming for your months and years of transgressions. The Great White Hype goes out with a thud.

I don't know if its cause I'm sleepy but I can't tell who's trolling who and who's for or against which fighter tonight. Anyway, any mma worth watching this weekend?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I don't know if its cause I'm sleepy but I can't tell who's trolling who and who's for or against which fighter tonight.

nope this is just typical Midweek MMA Madness..I usually just sit back and watch when it goes this way..its like a bunch of crackheads all scrambling for the last hit :)

yacobod

Banned
No, it'll be the same GOAT we have now.

that's why i like goats, they are sacrificial animals for the slaughter. we raise them up, and then tear them down. the savage cycle will continue brahs. i can't wait for the vultures to circle around and devour the corpse that is post ACL surgery georges.

who will we take down after him? JBJ?

that's why i like goats, they are sacrificial animals for the slaughter. we raise them up, and then tear them down. the savage cycle will continue brahs. i can't wait for the vultures to circle around and devour the corpse that is post ACL surgery georges.

who will we take down after him? JBJ?

Oh man I can't wait for Georges to come home and clean house.

Top Bottom